Do walk-through attractions do anything for you?

SonofBaconator

I had an idea for turning the chaos building into a walk-through attraction where it gives more back story on Orion and Area 72. Basically a rideless que with theming, audio, etc; an exhibit if you will. No scareactors or spooky alien stuff but just a genuine walk through attraction that can be converted back to a haunted house come fall.

I personally loved walking through Cedar Point's little museum that they have. Call me boring but I enjoy walking through Flight of Fear's que as much as I do riding the actual coaster. Am I alone on this?

• Like 4

I couldn’t care less about an expanded story and elaborate theming. Kings Island doesn’t feel super cohesive as a whole to me in terms of theming. Unlike Disney, a 100 year old media company who use their properties to sell park admissions and sponsored products from other brands, Cedar Fair is using a model for their business that is quite a bit different than that I think. People like Cedar Fair parks for thrilling rides and nice kid friendly and family attractions.  Walt was a freaking genius who integrated his brand vertically from the very beginning and has maintained loyal and enthusiastic fans for decades. The attention to detail in those parks is mind boggling and often very educational. Cedar Fair doesn’t need this level of theming to keep people coming to their parks because I believe their customer base isn’t going to the park to live inside of a fantasy story all day or stand in long lines to learn about science and engineering (although I’d hit those exhibits up). I think Cedar Fair’s customers would appreciate more shade, fans, air conditioners, and heaters (for those chilly fall and winter nights) in their queue lines. I haven’t been to a Disney park since I was a kid, but the lines were so so long, I learned more there in three days than I did at school that year, and thrill rides were very scarce.  I guess I’m saying people don’t go to Cedar Fair parks for fully immersive experiences and people don’t go to Disney to ride coasters. 

Edited by amapan
More clarity

I think walkthrough attractions are cool. They are a nice break from the rest of the day (see Dinosaurs Alive) and offer something different. The next step up from a basic walk through attraction would be immersive experinces like Haunt mazes or Forbidden Frontier at Cedar Point. Though I heard Forbidden Frontier was getting mixed reviews, I absolutely loved it! It was so great to interact with all the characters and explore Adventure Island! 

• 2 weeks later...
On April 24, 2020 at 12:47 AM, SonofBaconator said:

I had an idea for turning the chaos building into a walk-through attraction where it gives more back story on Orion and Area 72. Basically a rideless que with theming, audio, etc; an exhibit if you will. No scareactors or spooky alien stuff but just a genuine walk through attraction that can be converted back to a haunted house come fall.

I personally loved walking through Cedar Point's little museum that they have. Call me boring but I enjoy walking through Flight of Fear's que as much as I do riding the actual coaster. Am I alone on this?

You're not alone. I love this idea. The park could use a walk-through attraction or two. If not a themed one, the museum idea might be perfect for this. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, I actually really like walkthrough stuff. I love Noah's Ark at Kennywood, and I enjoyed Wacky Shack at Waldameer and Kings Dominion's old walkthrough whose name escapes me at the moment. Those specific kinds of walkthroughs, though, seem to be a dying piece of history. I'm speculating that ADA requirements and some amount of liability are the causes of that.

As far as a modern walkthrough goes... I'm split. I feel like there's promise in the concept, but the first thing that comes to mind is something like Madame Tussaud's, which isn't my thing. I can't think of a good equivalent in the modern era. I'll take a highly themed coaster queue any day of the week, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I think if it adds to the theme/story I'd say its worth it. Ques tend to be key when setting the mood for a ride anymore-I'd argue sometimes they make the ride better. Heck there were times I used to walk along the old White Water Canyon trail just because I enjoyed looking at the trees and feeling like I was somewhere secluded. Stuff like Forbidden Frontier at CP or even Tom Sawyer Island at the Disney parks where people can interact and view different things would be awesome. 

• Like 6

A funhouse would be perfect in that area. It would be another thing that would be fun for all ages, potentially escape heat for a few going through it, should have a very high throughput to keep people moving through, and be fairly inexpensive. Plus it would fit the theming great for that section.

I do agree as well with the idea of a small museum added as well. Provide a nice air conditioned break on a hot, busy day. Could be some interesting stuff to see and learn about. Just not sure where I'd put it. I think near International Street would be best, but the main spot I could think of would be the open lawn area behind Eiffel Tower and next to International Showplace. But feel it could ruin the view of that area some, but there's not much landscaping recently anyway to be too scenic. If they left BLSC it could potentially block the view of it from International Street if they place it between that and the Eiffel Tower. Otherwise put it in a new themed building in one of the other lands like Rivertown.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 10:26 PM, TombRaiderFTW said:

As far as a modern walkthrough goes... I'm split. I feel like there's promise in the concept, but the first thing that comes to mind is something like Madame Tussaud's, which isn't my thing. I can't think of a good equivalent in the modern era.

It just hit me that there IS a modern equivalent, kinda... It's Poseidon's Fury at Islands of Adventure, which I unabashedly love. It's cheesy as heck, but I love the concept of a show that you walk through, and I think it could very much be done in a better way that would be legitimately fun to experience for everyone.

If Kings Island were to get something like that somehow, though, I don't know what it'd necessarily be themed to or where it'd go.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Double post

I want to maybe expand more on this fun house idea @KIghostguy brought up. Is there a reason why we don't see a lot of them anymore? My guess is liability- people getting hurt walking though a hall of mirrors, moving floors, etc.

That would be my assumption. I do recall going into one at my county fair years ago, and there were so many opportunities to get fingers ripped off. Given the risk/reward ratio, I'm not really surprised they are gone.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

That would be my assumption. I do recall going into one at my county fair years ago, and there were so many opportunities to get fingers ripped off. Given the risk/reward ratio, I'm not really surprised they are gone.

The Joker ride at Six Flags Mexico has its que inside a funhouse. It seems kind of dangerous but its a Six Flags park so it doesn't shock me as much.

I would love to see the Killmart building converted into a funhouse as it would fit in perfectly with Coney Mall and be a fun attraction with a good throughout. However, I'm sure the liability is too high and it won't happen. But it might be possible if they limit the type of things in it. Maybe if it was hanging bags, mirror maze, slide, and stuff like that it would be ok versus spinning and sliding platforms that could trip someone up more and kids get fingers stuck in and injured. Would be great if it could still have a spinning tunnel, if not a regular one than one with an elevated pathway through it like Carnevil had.

• 4 months later...

I think some of the "smaller" Haunt buildings should be used during the regular season for something else. Killmart could be a safe fun house, CHAOS could be a walk through attraction which could tie into Area 72, and Blackout could be rethemed as a family friendly walk through spooky attraction connecting to Banshee and The Bat.

• Like 1

That would be cool! Blackout could even be a year-round Haunt attraction and/or they could do it similar to how they did it for HallowTween last year (no scare actors but

Spoiler

still have some effects, like the thing on the floor (rope/string?) that moved back and forth

).

19 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

That would be cool! Blackout could even be a year-round Haunt attraction...

IDK, it's one thing to go into a tin/metal unconditioned building during the fall nights, but would be an entirely different experience in a 90+ hot day with a beating sun. :(

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I think some of the haunt buildings can be used for more than just seasonal attractions. Quite honestly, if they gut some of the buildings and design them like they were non haunt attractions, they could make minor tweaks to them to reincorporate them into Haunt. Take Blackout for example, they could use that building to tie into the story of Banshee and have it be an old abandoned house that adds to the theme that they could enhance during haunt- same with the SOB building, Killmart, etc. With how KI and CF are trying to push stories, having a building that ties stories into nearby attractions would be neat.

In addition, it was fascinating seeing all of the temporary 50s nostalgia hit the park, it would be cool to see old KI historical “artifacts “ preserved in an on-site museum for older generations to go inside and reminisce on past memories. 

• Like 2

Ok...so the benefit of having these haunt buildings is reduced setup for haunt. Besides minor cleaning and Mechanical touch ups, they are plug n play. Having them open year round would defeat that purpose. They would get wear and tear.  Plus, as said earlier, climate control.  

Then we run into Haunt Fatigue.  Ki is heavily season pass based.  If you have these open, or tame versions open, there is no reason to come back multiple times for haunt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Ok...so the benefit of having these haunt buildings is reduced setup for haunt. Besides minor cleaning and Mechanical touch ups, they are plug n play. Having them open year round would defeat that purpose. They would get wear and tear.  Plus, as said earlier, climate control.  

Then we run into Haunt Fatigue.  Ki is heavily season pass based.  If you have these open, or tame versions open, there is no reason to come back multiple times for haunt. 

I understand what you’re getting at, I just wish some buildings were used more- it doesn’t have to necessarily be every one.

I’d still like to see a museum and maybe a ADA complaint fun house of sorts

• 1 month later...