KI Employee Questions

Hawaiian Coasters 325

3 hours ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

Are you allowed to answer about the dorms? Im curious what those are like? Do they charge rent out of your check or a jump rental fee etc?  I live just far enough that a commute isn’t really feasible but i May be too old for dorm life LOLOL 

coming directly from a dorm brochure: campus amenities: Crowne Hall dormitory building, Recreation Center with big screen satellite TVs, Convenience Store, Free Wi-Fi, On-Site 24/7 Security, Community Kitchen space, On-Site laundry facility, Free Parking, Basketball Court, Soccer Field, Secure Mail & Package Pickup, and Nearby Grocery, Banking, and Dining Options.  with the rent, you get beds, furniture, locker space, mini-fridge and microwave in each unit, in room A/C and free utilities, shuttle transport to and from the associate entrance, digital TV hook-up in each room.  residents pay $65 per week with a one-time refundable deposit of $150 due upon move in.  they also pay for meals, groceries, laundry, bedding, linens, and towels.  Living arrangements are 2-4 people per room and include bunk-bed style furniture.  housing is coed and gender is separated by room.  typical room dimensions are 10' x 17'.  You must be 18 or older and have a permanent residence 25 miles or greater away from KI.  that is all the brochure said.

5 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I have a question for anyone who has operated Vortex (maybe @VortexBFForever can answer): Was the mid-course brake run capable of stopping a train? If so, could the train make it to the brake run from there?

The point of a mid course is to stop a train from that position and they’re designed at an elevation that allows them to still be able to complete the course.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

The point of a mid course is to stop a train from that position and they’re designed at an elevation that allows them to still be able to complete the course.

Just now, SonofBaconator said:

It wouldn't serve its purpose if it didn't bring the train to a complete stop

Ok thanks lol. Just wondering:lol:

17 hours ago, RedRacer said:

coming directly from a dorm brochure: campus amenities: Crowne Hall dormitory building, Recreation Center with big screen satellite TVs, Convenience Store, Free Wi-Fi, On-Site 24/7 Security, Community Kitchen space, On-Site laundry facility, Free Parking, Basketball Court, Soccer Field, Secure Mail & Package Pickup, and Nearby Grocery, Banking, and Dining Options.  with the rent, you get beds, furniture, locker space, mini-fridge and microwave in each unit, in room A/C and free utilities, shuttle transport to and from the associate entrance, digital TV hook-up in each room.  residents pay $65 per week with a one-time refundable deposit of $150 due upon move in.  they also pay for meals, groceries, laundry, bedding, linens, and towels.  Living arrangements are 2-4 people per room and include bunk-bed style furniture.  housing is coed and gender is separated by room.  typical room dimensions are 10' x 17'.  You must be 18 or older and have a permanent residence 25 miles or greater away from KI.  that is all the brochure said.

Ok so it works quite similar to how disney does their dorms very cool.  Thank you for that info :D  working theme parks is fun, there’s always those days but hope you have s favorite ride or activity you can enjoy after a hard day makes it better :) good luck!!

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I have a question for anyone who has operated Vortex (maybe @VortexBFForever can answer): Was the mid-course brake run capable of stopping a train? If so, could the train make it to the brake run from there?

I've actually seen it stop once or twice last year. Was kinda cool to see the MCBR engaged fully. Bet those corkscrews were pretty great.

• Like 2

@Klabergian Empire @IceePirate

I know from experience that Vortex's mid-course brakes could completely stop a train. And it stopped hard. One moment you're cruising around that tight turn still going at least 30 mph, and the next moment you're jerked forward from the sudden deceleration and look around to see you're completely stopped and the track around you is shaking. It was crazy! After the train released, it took to the corkscrews at a slightly slower speed (which of course enhanced the hang time and that was wonderful) due to its starting from a dead stop, and would gain back its speed as it reached the batwing and helix.

While driving Vortex, I would see the train stop and the track and supports shake, which is supposed to happen yet still fairly weird to watch. :lol: If you were ever in line when a train was stopped completely, you would have most likely heard the station bell ring three times, and that occurred simultaneously with a three-beep alarm at the drive panel in case the stop was caused by the driver's not paying attention.

I also got stuck on the mid-course brakes twice, including in a torrential downpour! Nothing like enduring an abrupt stop while already having trouble seeing and breathing due to rain hitting your face at 55 mph. Now THAT was an experience!

• Like 8

21 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

@Klabergian Empire @IceePirate

I know from experience that Vortex's mid-course brakes could completely stop a train. And it stopped hard. One moment you're cruising around that tight turn still going at least 30 mph, and the next moment you're jerked forward from the sudden deceleration and look around to see you're completely stopped and the track around you is shaking. It was crazy! 

Hey Carolyn! (It's Clem! ;)) And I second this ^ It stops hardddd, and that turn is so sharp and taken fast, sometimes I question what Arrow was thinking, but boy did they leave a mark. (on the industry I mean... but also maybe a bruise or two... :P) All in good fun of course!

• Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, Klabergian Empire said:

It actually stopped in the MCBR every morning when you are running start ups as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dinobot2006 said:

Old KI operator, been on a bit of a theme park / roller coaster kick with little to do during COVID-19. To the person who asked the question about the best ride in the park to work. EXtreme Skyflyer.

Why is it the best to work in you opinion? Xtreme Skyflyer as a guest seems to be the most with operators hands on and reliant on training. Just watching the process and overchecks for a cycle definitely made me wonder how stressful it is.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 7:43 AM, PatchesC said:

Why is it the best to work in you opinion? Xtreme Skyflyer as a guest seems to be the most with operators hands on and reliant on training. Just watching the process and overchecks for a cycle definitely made me wonder how stressful it is.

It's a lot more fun. You get a lot more personal interaction with guests. The crew tends to get fairly tight knit as there is a lot of trust built over time with learning the processes for the ride. Every single cycle has its own feel and time tends to go by fairly quickly, especially if you're out on the flight line. On a personal note I absolutely never liked working coasters, I always found them way too repetitive, but that's just me.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dinobot2006 said:

time tends to go by fairly quickly

I have had countless hours at Vortex and WindSeeker where I get into the groove and have fun. Before I know it, I get rotated out and the first thing I say is "Wow, this hour went by way too quickly!"

The beautiful part about working rides at Kings Island is the variety. You have different styles of rides with different height requirements and different positions.

If you're operating your favorite ride, that is a special bonus. Working Vortex had its stressful moments as well as fun, but its being my favorite ride added a strong passion that shone through to fellow associates and guests. One of my favorite spiels was always "Thank you for riding my favorite ride, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Kings Island!"

My passion for Vortex also spread to other rides. Any other ride I have worked or even rode only once always yielded an increased appreciation for that particular ride for what it was. I definitely did not appreciate WindSeeker, Bat, Express, Invertigo, Firehawk, or even the Carousel as much when I first started. This is very much why I'm always so happy when I work, at least as a ride op! But I must say I was always the happiest at Vortex. :D

• Like 6

Vortex/troika was my home ride my second year, and for a variety of reasons I just didn't like it. I got myself sent a lot and that eventually led to skyflyer, which is where I went the following year. I'd say when I left the park I've probably worked at every ride at the park at least once. Actually got moved to sob/gun later in my third year, and that was not a particularly great change going to 2 coasters.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:49 AM, VortexBFForever said:

If you're operating your favorite ride, that is a special bonus.

I second this. :) I absolutely loved working at Adventure Express. Getting to go into lockout on that ride made my nerdy side squeal with happiness internally.

• Like 3