KI Employee Questions

Hawaiian Coasters 325

So I thought I would be able to shed some light on this topic. So this will be my fourth year at the park, I have the pleasure (and the slight stress) of working the brand new ride, Orion. My previous three years have been spent at the beloved Vortex and that one other ride that really doesn't ever like seeking wind despite its name. (Please don't ask why its called WindSeeker :P) I have been trained at all positions in Coney Mall, and have worked a couple rides outside the area, such as White Water, Banshee, Mystic, and Diamondback. Out of all the rides I've worked, I would say that the most physically demanding ride is honestly either FOF or Racer. White Water is actually a wonderful ride to work and it's pretty relaxed.

Of course the physical demands of each ride depends on how busy the park is. I would say that during Haunt is when it's the most demanding, considering that the park is usually a little understaffed, and attendance is probably near its highest. This does make the days go by quicker though! I would say the coolest thing about working there is how much you get to learn about the rides that you would otherwise never know. And my favorite thing is waking up for an open shift and walking into a completely empty park - it is so peaceful! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Alrighty here's another question (idk if you can answer this but tell if you can):

How early do most employees have to arrive and how late do they spend at the park after closing? I'm just wondering how early and how late most people stay there.

It really depends on the department, shift,  position, and how much work there is to do. I’ve had nights I left at 7pm and nights I left at 2am.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Alrighty here's another question (idk if you can answer this but tell if you can):

How early do most employees have to arrive and how late do they spend at the park after closing? I'm just wondering how early and how late most people stay there.

like some jobs, we too have 3rd shift, so we have people there pretty much all the time.  but, my schedule is going to be i think either 8-5 or 9-6, it hasn't been fully set yet.  most F&B employees have the same schedule or close to the same.  i think most employees in general get there anywhere between 1-4 hours before park opening to get everything ready.  leaving the park, minors can't work past 9, but people over the age of 16 can't work past 11, and people over the age of 18 don't have a limit on end time.  what's really cool is walking in the park to an empty layout.  no people, no music, no nothing.  it was really peaceful when i had my tour.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

To also add to what RedRacer said:

In the Rides Department the normal shifts during the Summer are as follows: Opens: (9.15am-3:45pm); Closes: (3:45pm-10:30pm); and my least favorite: Swings (11:40am-8:00pm). And then there are AD (all day's). The hours can sometimes be long, but the schedules are made by the sups and so there's a decent amount of flexibility. There is almost no limit for time off (IN RIDES) and if you cant ever work an AD, Open, or Close etc, they can usually work around that. These times are what i'm used to because my ride doesn't (...didn't :() have early entry. I think the day for those rides begin at 8:45am.

During Haunt the shifts change a little bit.  For Fridays we have just one shift: Yes (4:15pm-1am) The shift is called a yes because it's either yes you work or no you don't. For Saturdays, it's the same as the shifts during the summer, only everything is pushed back an hour. So an open arrives at 10:15am, and leaves at 4:45pm etc. And of course the latest shift ends at 1am, Although after some quick cleaning we usually get out around 1:30. And The shifts for Sundays during haunt are just opens and closes (swings aren't needed because of how short the close shift is.)

Overall, if you're a close, you'll be leaving the ride about 30min after the park has closed. This varies ride to ride of course, and depending on if you need to do lockout for lost keys, phones, etc and how long the sup makes the pow-wow. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JCJTheHurricane said:

Overall, if you're a close, you'll be leaving the ride about 30min after the park has closed. This varies ride to ride of course, and depending on if you need to do lockout for lost keys, phones, etc and how long the sup makes the pow-wow. 

2 Qs you might be able to answer: Do OPs do the LOTO and area searches for lost items themselves? What's the most complicated LOTO ride you are aware of?

1 minute ago, PatchesC said:

2 Qs you might be able to answer: Do OPs do the LOTO and area searches for lost items themselves? What's the most complicated LOTO ride you are aware of?

So we do! I can't speak for too many rides, but generally its not too complicated for any of the rides I've gotten to do LO for. The only potential difficulty would maybe be with FOF due to there being two control panels, Unload and Load. In the morning, both positions have to page each other and countdown to when they turn the key to power up the ride. Same for when they close. For most of the rides though its as simple as receiving permission from sups, communicating effectively that you're locking out, marking it down in the LO binder, then flip the lockout switch, grab a hasp, put your lock through it and then take the key for the lockout gates with you. And don't forget the lock key itself :P All of the locks for LO have a stretchy coil bracelet attached to the key and they're all marked.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, JCJTheHurricane said:

To also add to what RedRacer said:

In the Rides Department the normal shifts during the Summer are as follows: Opens: (9.15am-3:45pm); Closes: (3:45pm-10:30pm); and my least favorite: Swings (11:40am-8:00pm). And then there are AD (all day's). The hours can sometimes be long, but the schedules are made by the sups and so there's a decent amount of flexibility. There is almost no limit for time off (IN RIDES) and if you cant ever work an AD, Open, or Close etc, they can usually work around that. These times are what i'm used to because my ride doesn't (...didn't :() have early entry. I think the day for those rides begin at 8:45am.

During Haunt the shifts change a little bit.  For Fridays we have just one shift: Yes (4:15pm-1am) The shift is called a yes because it's either yes you work or no you don't. For Saturdays, it's the same as the shifts during the summer, only everything is pushed back an hour. So an open arrives at 10:15am, and leaves at 4:45pm etc. And of course the latest shift ends at 1am, Although after some quick cleaning we usually get out around 1:30. And The shifts for Sundays during haunt are just opens and closes (swings aren't needed because of how short the close shift is.)

Perfect!  Thanks for the clarification!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kings Island lover said:

I'm a ride op at the park. Ask only questions that are not about new things or when we are opening or whats leaving. But if it is a question you think we can answer then ask away. 

definitely seconding this!! and thank you for your answers!

1 minute ago, KIguy2004 said:

Where do you store the Mystic Timbers trains? What are those tires for right before the train storage shed on The Beast? Why do you say Clear and All Clear?

Great questions. For Mystic Timbers. there's a holding area right as your're entering the shed for the train. You've gotta look really closely, because they did a good job of hiding it. I've never worked The Beast, but I'd have to say they're probably used to load trains into storage, or they're to keep the speed of the trains consistant going into the lift hill. You'll have to double check with another employee. Clear and All Clear is a required procedure, to make sure each ride OP has completed their task, and and the train can't be dispatched until an all clear is issued. The all clear can only be issued after everyone else has given the clear. It's mainly for safety, and most rides have green buttons that each side and operator must press to give the clear. It's basically a double check to make sure the train is 100% ready to pull out of the station. It's also used on normal rides, and flat rides that have two or more booths or control areas, everyone must always give the clear before an all clear can be issued to start the ride cycle. They don't do it one a few rides, such as Boo Blasters, because it would be impossible to keep up with the omnimover system, as it just moves to quickly. However we do still check to make sure, you're in and secure, as the car will lock as the operator is walking aside you, they make sure you can't get out and destroy set pieces. I have a friend who works Haunted Mansion at Disney, and you wouldn't believe when the ride stops, how many people will try and get out on their own, hence why they always make announcements to remain seating, and wait for the ride to resume. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Kings Island lover said:

I'm a ride op at the park. Ask only questions that are not about new things or when we are opening or whats leaving. But if it is a question you think we can answer then ask away. 

What are the instructions from the park regarding Fast Lane people vs. general admission. I know there has to be some very clear orders from above...what are those instructions?

I worked in F&B from 2015 to 2017 starting as an associate in Coney Carts, moving to Hank's the next season whilst being promoted to stand supervisor, and the spend a bit of time running Rivertown funnel the following season. I've worked every food location except: International Restaurant (never opened to the public when I worked there), Panda Express, Cinnabon, Graeters, Tom & Chee (Guy who runs it is fantastic), Chik-Fil-A, Starbucks, and Soak City Subway.   This includes the food stands at Timberwolf, Cornerstone, and almost every cart besides the ones in Planet Snoopy.

I've also worked at Icee Mix it Up which was torn down to build the Autos

You might be excited now, but it does get to be a bit of a drag after a while, but keep up that good energy for as long as you can! Extra nice with food being paid the best in the part for starting associates...except maybe the park sweeps...hmm...

Anyways, I got to know a lot of things while working there, and got to know a lot of great people. While I cannot violate the ToS of the website, I'm more than happy to answer any questions that you might have about your upcoming position, or any other questions you or anyone else might have about my knowledge of things. I also did a bit of hiring/interviewing of associates as well, which was pretty fun to be honest. 

For the latest night I've spent cause I think that was a question when I skimmed through this, I left the park at 5am on a random Saturday midnight close. Not exactly sure why I stayed so late, probably just cleaning and prepping with a bud I worked there with.

The other question I think I saw was about Feasthaus. It's really not that bad of a stand, just big. I actually preferred working at the larger stands since they have more stuff which makes it easier to manage the stand. From an associates perspective, so long as it isn't carts, your experience will likely be pretty similar in most stands.

Also for @RedRacer unless you're 15 and can only work until a set time under state law, your schedule is going to be pretty flexible with some lates, earlies, and swings mixed in all in the same week most likely. I think they try to make it consistent, but once staffing starts to get a bit tight around the middle of the season, it can't really be helped. Do be glad you didn't pick Feasthaus to start your season out though, it's not the most fun place to be around at the beginning of the year.

2 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

I worked in F&B from 2015 to 2017 starting as an associate in Coney Carts, moving to Hank's the next season whilst being promoted to stand supervisor, and the spend a bit of time running Rivertown funnel the following season. I've worked every food location except: International Restaurant (never opened to the public when I worked there), Panda Express, Cinnabon, Graeters, Tom & Chee (Guy who runs it is fantastic), Chik-Fil-A, Starbucks, and Soak City Subway.   This includes the food stands at Timberwolf, Cornerstone, and almost every cart besides the ones in Planet Snoopy.

I've also worked at Icee Mix it Up which was torn down to build the Autos

You might be excited now, but it does get to be a bit of a drag after a while, but keep up that good energy for as long as you can! Extra nice with food being paid the best in the part for starting associates...except maybe the park sweeps...hmm...

Anyways, I got to know a lot of things while working there, and got to know a lot of great people. While I cannot violate the ToS of the website, I'm more than happy to answer any questions that you might have about your upcoming position, or any other questions you or anyone else might have about my knowledge of things. I also did a bit of hiring/interviewing of associates as well, which was pretty fun to be honest. 

For the latest night I've spent cause I think that was a question when I skimmed through this, I left the park at 5am on a random Saturday midnight close. Not exactly sure why I stayed so late, probably just cleaning and prepping with a bud I worked there with.

The other question I think I saw was about Feasthaus. It's really not that bad of a stand, just big. I actually preferred working at the larger stands since they have more stuff which makes it easier to manage the stand. From an associates perspective, so long as it isn't carts, your experience will likely be pretty similar in most stands.

Also for @RedRacer unless you're 15 and can only work until a set time under state law, your schedule is going to be pretty flexible with some lates, earlies, and swings mixed in all in the same week most likely. I think they try to make it consistent, but once staffing starts to get a bit tight around the middle of the season, it can't really be helped. Do be glad you didn't pick Feasthaus to start your season out though, it's not the most fun place to be around at the beginning of the year.

ok yay! thank you so much for your help and your offerings to help, it really makes this forum a better place!  

11 hours ago, CoasterJack said:

Great questions. For Mystic Timbers. there's a holding area right as your're entering the shed for the train. You've gotta look really closely, because they did a good job of hiding it.

Screenshot (6).png What is that red button for?Screenshot (7).png Is it those lines in the ground?

15 hours ago, PatchesC said:

There are actually not a lot of areas to go into that require LOTO.  When I worked at the park, most employees did not go through LOTO training, it's something generally reserved for your best employees and Supervisors.  They will not shut down a ride in order to retrieve an item, unless it's medically necessary.  They would look for it at the end of the shift or the next morning.

They also, in the past, required a Water Sentry to be working at each water ride, effectively it was a step toward being a lifeguard in case anything happened.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KIguy2004 said:

spacer.pngScreenshot (6).png What is that red button for?Screenshot (7).png Is it those lines in the ground?

The actual trains are on the right of the sand colored fence/wall. The lines you're referring to guide the transfer track so that the train can enter a stall. 

I don't recall if there's two stalls or three but I'm pretty sure there's two with the block section in the transfer building acting as the third stall

2 minutes ago, KIguy2004 said:

So that sand colored wall to the right of the track is the transfer track train stalls?

Yes, to the right of that is two storage tracks. The control panel for the transfer table is to the left of the track right before you go into the themed area. 

20 hours ago, Snowball said:

Am I going insane or was this thread a lot longer and created by RedRacer originally? Was it deleted?

yes it was by me originally however because of the nature of the thread, i think you know what i'm talking about, i asked him to delete it, but because someone wanted it back up, he put it back up and left out the other stuff.