New KIC Gallery Page

After wanting to revamp and clean up our gallery pages for over a year, the KIC admin spent months sorting through over 350 galleries. After months of getting all the galleries more organized and tagged, KICentral has a new gallery page for KIC members, Kings Island enthusiasts, and Kings Island historians to enjoy.

https://kicentral.com/photos/

You will find rides can be searched by the name of the gallery, the name of the ride, ride manufacturer, year, and the area of the park. We also now have a photo submission page to submit your own photos that you may have that would benefit our galleries. If KIC decides to use your photos that were submitted, we will watermark them and add them into our galleries and possibly on social media at some point.

https://kicentral.com/kic-photo-submission/

Here is a photo of the old Antique Autos that was submitted by Josh Kellerman a few months back. These are the cool types of photos we would love to see submitted for our galleries!

LT3.jpg

The KIC admin hope you enjoy the new gallery pages and if you see any errors please don't hesitate to let us know. Some of you are more up on the history of the park than us admins.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate the effort. Is there a way to see dates like how it was formatted previously? For instance, having all the Banshee construction photos on one page is wonderful, but is there a way to see the date each photo is from? Thank you for adding so many great photos and adding a search feature as well!

• Like 2

I love the idea of being able to search through all the photos! It's great to see the gallery more accessible too.

With searching though, is there a way to possibly crowdsource some search terms to make it more expansive? For example, "Shake" brings up Shake, Rattle & Roll, but it doesn't include some of the older historic pictures of the ride I've seen in the gallery (like this one). Likewise, Troika brings up that aforementioned photo's gallery, but none of the newer shots. Other search terms could include the contributor's names and years. And being able to search by manufacturer is really cool, but the list seems incomplete - "Von Roll" isn't showing Sky Ride, for example.

It could also be nice to see the photos in a grid, versus having to scroll through them one-by-one.

I understand it's a massive effort and I'm glad to see this area of the website getting attention.

• Like 2

So happy to see the return of the gallery and can only imagine the work to bring ALL those photos to the new one. Especially now linked to the main menu.

Is it possible to group galleries of the same nature to an album like the old one? Right now it is very scattered. I'd also like to see view counts and the return of comments. As for the other notes I had Topgun1993, TombraiderTy and KIghostguy touched upon great notes

• Like 2

I have been organizing my own photos...and I have a lot of worthy contenders including photos of Troika in its previous green color scheme. And of course lots of Vortex photos, a few which I submitted a little while ago!

In other words: expect to see a lot of submissions from me in the coming days, depending on when I get around to it.

• Like 6

Great suggestions so far! We'll try to get at least some of them implemented.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:32 PM, TOPGUN1993 said:

I appreciate the effort, however navigating through that many albums is kind of ridiculous. 

Is there away to sort the albums, similar to the previous gallery? 

Not a fan of not being able to see all the image thumbnails per album.

You can already use the search box with terms like Action Zone, Coaster, Defunct, 1972, or Construction. The next iteration of the photos page will have taxonomy tools to help with discovering galleries and photos.

The challenge with the previous system of categorization was that many albums logically belong in several places, Firehawk Construction for instance. Any suggestions for how to improve the sort, search and discovery features are most welcome.

A thumbnails view is a great idea. We'll look into adding one, probably with a button to switch back and forth.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:40 PM, KIghostguy said:

I appreciate the effort. Is there a way to see dates like how it was formatted previously? For instance, having all the Banshee construction photos on one page is wonderful, but is there a way to see the date each photo is from? Thank you for adding so many great photos and adding a search feature as well!

The titles, captions and dates were all moved over to the new system. We're not currently showing the upload date, but we can add that. Right now, you can see the upload dates by looking at the picture URL (right click->view background image).

On 4/27/2020 at 4:42 PM, TombraiderTy said:

With searching though, is there a way to possibly crowdsource some search terms to make it more expansive? For example, "Shake" brings up Shake, Rattle & Roll, but it doesn't include some of the older historic pictures of the ride I've seen in the gallery (like this one). Likewise, Troika brings up that aforementioned photo's gallery, but none of the newer shots. Other search terms could include the contributor's names and years. And being able to search by manufacturer is really cool, but the list seems incomplete - "Von Roll" isn't showing Sky Ride, for example.

Right now, the search box only looks through data on galleries, not in individual pictures. This will be fixed soon so that searching for an individual contributor's name or an individual picture's title brings up the right results.

Crowdsourcing search terms is a great idea. We control the code for the new gallery, so we can add features as they are needed.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:14 PM, Captain Nemo said:

So happy to see the return of the gallery and can only imagine the work to bring ALL those photos to the new one. Especially now linked to the main menu.

Is it possible to group galleries of the same nature to an album like the old one? Right now it is very scattered. I'd also like to see view counts and the return of comments. As for the other notes I had Topgun1993, TombraiderTy and KIghostguy touched upon great notes

You can still see the old photo gallery at https://kicentral.com/photosold/ , which will be preserved for the foreseeable future. Links to the old gallery (eg. https://kicentral.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=41&pid=146#top_display_media) should be redirected automatically to the same place in the new gallery with a much cleaner URL.

Allowing comments and/or photo description editing for people logged into the forums is definitely something we can do if there is demand for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1