PKI 2003

Can someone a little older answer me this- what was 2007 season like? I was still in elementary school at the time and wasn't as big on coasters as I am now. What was it like to see Paramount gone and Cedar Fair in charge? What was the atmosphere like? Were you all genuinely happy, sad, mad, etc?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

What was it like to see Paramount gone and Cedar Fair in charge? Were you all genuinely happy, sad, mad, etc?

Personally I was worried.

I was worried that CF wouldn’t be concerned with keeping the landscaping up...I couldn’t have been more wrong there...I think that department keeps getting better and better year after year.

I was worried that CF would abandon any attempt at keeping the park family friendly and turn it into simply a thrill ride park...happily that didn’t happen...it is still family friendly with some new great thrill rides. (I would like to see the park concentrate on a few new flat rides that the whole family can ride together.)

I was worried that CF would migrate The Peanuts down to Kings Island and we would have to say goodbye to Scooby-Doo, Spongebob, Patrick and all of the other Nick characters...okay, that obviously happened...but all in all, having The Peanuts here isn’t AS bad as I thought it would be... but I still miss Nick.

In the end, I am very happy CF took over...they have gone above and beyond improving the look of the park*!

*With the exception of placing flagpoles at the foot of the fountain...and removing the fountain’s pedestals. :rolleyes:

• Like 5

12 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Can someone a little older answer me this- what was 2007 season like? I was still in elementary school at the time and wasn't as big on coasters as I am now. What was it like to see Paramount gone and Cedar Fair in charge? What was the atmosphere like? Were you all genuinely happy, sad, mad, etc?

When we found out the park was for sale I remember Busch Gardens being a rumored buyer.  As a huge fan of the Busch parks this idea really excited me.  When Cedar Fair ended up being the buyer i was excited and concerned.  Excited because they were adding hyper coasters, B&M inverts and floorless coasters to their parks and deperately wanted in on the action.  I never felt like Paramount added the same quality of rides that Cedar Fair was adding.  On the other hand i was concerned that Cedar Fair wouldnt seriously invest in Kings Island becaus of the potential for competition with Cedar Point.  Boy was I wrong!  Cedar Fair has been great to KI.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WWC2003Amy said:

This was the year I worked at Kings Island I will give you a guess what my home ride was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked at KI in the 2002 and 2003 season on Tomb Raier.  I ended up helping out on White Water more than a few times.  It is a great ride to work!

Thanks for sharing those two videos; it's making the (re-extended) offseason a little easier! The 2003 one makes me miss riding Delirium and the 2006 video has some funny moments, like Sonic seemingly distraught that he can't ride Top Gun and the guy saying "aww" when seeing Homer Simpson on the roof of Tower Drinks lol. Also, this gem when talking about an indoor waterpark (maybe Castaway Bay near CP?) "I'm not paying $200 a night... to take a bath" :lol:

Also, another thing I noticed was the billboard map the front gate for Fearfest; not sure they'd do that any more...

Finally, an interesting comment when fillming the Scooby Doo Meet and Greet in 2003: "In 20 years, we'll look back on this...". Yup! 

• Like 1

Notice around the 8 minute and 50 second mark in the video, the original parking lot sign from 1972 was brought down by severe weather right before this as there are barriers on the concrete slab where it used to be.

Original Thread from 2003: 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

For me, it was great.  I moved out of state for most of the Paramount years and I wasn't an enthusiast.  When I came home to Kentucky on vacation, we would always go to KI at least once and it always felt so cheap under Paramount.  It felt like ad city and it also felt dirty.  So when I moved back here in 2007 and went to KI twice and saw that the name Paramount was being scrubbed I was extremely excited.  In '08, when it was gone completely, it felt much like the "old" Kings Island.  It was exciting and I do remember seeing the tri park pass in 2007 and thinking, "Man, I would never travel 6 hours to ride roller coasters."  Never say never.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I was a little concerned they would not keep the park at world class status because of CP.  But that would be very bad business to pay out so much and let your product go downhill.  But everyone kept saying they know how to run regional parks.  Obviously they did keep the park up and made it better.

At the time I did get excited about getting a new coaster - "Firehawk".  Since I never rode a flying coaster it sounded really fun to ride.

• 1 month later...
I worked at KI in the 2002 and 2003 season on Tomb Raier.  I ended up helping out on White Water more than a few times.  It is a great ride to work!

If I met you I probably know you then because I floated at both rides. I was alittle different when I worked there. I am curious if my signature is still in the closet there. I was also a Water Centurion for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...