Another long lost proposed Kings Island Wooden coaster!

collin.klopfstein

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Actually, the wall of the Paramount Theater - for at least a while- had a large billboard-sized Face/Off movie poster facing the ride.

I forgot about that! 

Wasn't there also an advertisement for Mission: Impossible in Action Zone at some point around its release or am I misremembering things? For some reason, I remember seeing either a billboard or large quad poster for it in the park.

I also remember they also had a small venue advertising Congo with props from the movie. I believe it was located in Coney Mall, but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Joshua said:

I forgot about that! 

Wasn't there also an advertisement for Mission: Impossible in Action Zone at some point around its release or am I misremembering things? For some reason, I remember seeing either a billboard or large quad poster for it in the park.

I also remember they also had a small venue advertising Congo with props from the movie. I believe it was located in Coney Mall, but I could be wrong.

There were various "soft" billboards throughout Action Zone which were changed/relocated/updated from year to year.  Several of them were located in a circle located around the water tower.  I distinctly recall through the years there was: Congo, Drop Zone, Clear and Present Danger, Deep Impact, Top Gun, The Untouchables, Patriot Games, Titanic, Braveheart and Mission Impossible.

In the first years of Action Zone - the billboards nearest to the rides were not on brand.  Meaning the billboard closest to Drop Zone was Titanic, and the one closest to Face/Off was Patriot Games, the one closest to Congo Falls was Deep Impact etc.

It was in the latter years that the park finally began putting the actual on-brand billboards next to their "namesake" ride.  I never understood why it took so long for them to figure it out.

The "Face/Off" billboard was larger and was on the upper north-facing portion of the exterior flyspace of the Paramount Theater facing Congo Falls.  The opposite side of the building (viewed at the entrance to the park) had a large Titanic Poster.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

There were various "soft" billboards throughout Action Zone which were changed/relocated/updated from year to year.  Several of them were located in a circle located around the water tower.  I distinctly recall through the years there was: Congo, Drop Zone, Clear and Present Danger, Deep Impact, Top Gun, The Untouchables, Patriot Games, Titanic, Braveheart and Mission Impossible.

I remember seeing the Mission: Impossible billboard near the water tower and I'm starting to recall the ones for Braveheart and Clear and Present Danger . I know Tower Gardens had the poster for The Untouchables on display and the Top Gun queue had both a billboard and the one sheet, but I wasn't aware those films also had billboards by the water tower until just now. 

The Congo thing I mentioned earlier was a big round tent you could enter, which featured props (genuine or recreations, I'm not sure) like the SAT link up, camping gear and other gadgets seen in the film. I feel like it was in Coney Mall near where Flight Commander was. This would have been the summer of 1995, when the film came out. 

Just now, Joshua said:

I remember seeing the Mission: Impossible billboard near the water tower and I'm starting to recall the ones for Braveheart and Clear and Present Danger . I know Tower Gardens had the poster for The Untouchables on display and the Top Gun queue had both a billboard and the one sheet, but I wasn't aware those films also had billboards by the water tower until just now. 

The Congo thing I mentioned earlier was a big round tent you could enter, which featured props (genuine or recreations, I'm not sure) like the SAT link up, camping gear and other gadgets seen in the film. I feel like it was in Coney Mall near where Flight Commander was. This would have been the summer of 1995, when the film came out. 

The Untouchables poster was located in front of Stunt Crew Grill when Action Zone first opened.  The Top Gun billboard was only located outside the entrance to the ride in later years - not around the Water Tower - If my memory is correct.

7 minutes ago, RollerNut said:

https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Paramount_Pictures
Paramount apparently had distribution rights for Home Video. 

I mentioned that in an earlier post. It was for a selection of Showa Era Godzilla films (1954-1975). However, that was only a license to distribute those films on VHS and laserdisc. But also the ride was to be themed to Sony's then upcoming Godzilla movie and by the time it was proposed (1998), those video distribution rights moved on to another company, Simitar. 

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Weren't there posters for Paramount movies at the entrance plaza on the right going towards the employee and handicapped parking?

I remember there being posters at the front gate. IIRC, they were for upcoming films. Specifically, I recall seeing the poster for Losing Isaiah, a thriller starring Halle Berry. 

8 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

I thought the posters at the front gates were for the rides. Or was that from an earlier period of Paramount’s ownership?

This would've been the early to mid-90s. They may have switched to displaying rides later. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even if the concept layout shown wasn't truly accurate, it would've still been interesting to see how this coaster would've changed the landscape of Rivertown and the park as a whole. Would we have gotten a hyper? More than likely yes but put in a different spot- either further back in Rivertown or somewhere else. Would we have gotten Mystic Timbers? I would have to say no. I think if it was built it would've eventually been given the Iron Horse treatment. With that being said I'm kinda happy this never happened

On 6/2/2020 at 3:51 PM, gforce1994 said:

Here’s a look at the original Aeroplane.

https://digital.tcl.sc.edu/digital/collection/MVTN/id/7066

A few observations with regard to this restored video...

Funny to think this was almost 100 years ago.

-Must have taken an enormous amount of effort to mount that beast of a camera on a moving coaster. You know how large production cameras were during that period.

-Weird to see women wearing hats & fur coats with men wearing suits and brim hats. How in the world they kept those hats from flying off is insane

-Station crews using manual brakes although I do recall Racer having these when KI first opened. Can't recall if Racer crews actually used them tho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbackdreams said:

well i for me and glad we got Diamondback the biggest fastest tallest longest meanest metal roller coaster ever to strike Kings Island!!!!!  i dont want another rickity clack clack roller coaster

I believe that title now belongs to Orion. It's much larger, faster, taller, and expensive than Diamondback.

Also, can you provide an example of a "rickity clack clack roller coaster"?

2 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I believe that title now belongs to Orion. It's much larger, faster, taller, and expensive than Diamondback.

Also, can you provide an example of a "rickity clack clack roller coaster"?

Um The Racers.  they clack clack and rickeity.  and i know Orion is the new one but it hasnt struck Kings Island yet lol

@dbackdreams

My advise for ridding The Racers is to not sit in a wheel seat and sit closer to the front (though as gforce1994 said, try to stay in the middle). Try not to staple yourself. When pulling down your restraints make sure you leave yourself a bit of wiggle room. Finnaly, remember they sell aspirin in the Banshee gift shop. You can try taking it before you ride to see if that prevents your headache or makes it less severe. 

Also I highly recouldmend the backrow of Diamondback or the front seat at night. I hope you have a chance to experience both this season. 

2 hours ago, DiamondBeast said:

@dbackdreams

My advise for ridding The Racers is to not sit in a wheel seat and sit closer to the front (though as gforce1994 said, try to stay in the middle). Try not to staple yourself. When pulling down your restraints make sure you leave yourself a bit of wiggle room. Finnaly, remember they sell aspirin in the Banshee gift shop. You can try taking it before you ride to see if that prevents your headache or makes it less severe. 

Also I highly recouldmend the backrow of Diamondback or the front seat at night. I hope you have a chance to experience both this season. 

From when went on Racer, it seems to be smoother closer towards the rear of the train.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

From when went on Racer, it seems to be smoother closer towards the rear of the train.

really? That's interesting! I ussaly try to stay closer to the front, since the closer to the back I get on most coasters the rougher they'll be. I've noticed The Beast is an exception.(though I found the front car to be rather smooth) That's just my experience though.