Kings Island Audio Archive

ahank

41 minutes ago, Legofan237 said:

Probably a stupid question, but how did they get such clear audio?

These are the raw files most likely. How does one get raw files? There's really only one way, at some point someone needs to take them.

These have been handed down and shared for quite a while, I myself remember 15 years ago being shown the raw PT and TRTR sound bits.  

If memory serves me right, I believe that the bulk of the files were originally shared with ACE on a DVD produced for the park's 30th anniversary... or something like that. Some quick web searches aren't turning anything up, but hopefully someone with more knowledge can correct/clarify that. They were originally posted on the old PKIAsylum, and KIExtreme hosted them after the former website died.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

If memory serves me right, I believe that the bulk of the files were originally shared with ACE on a DVD produced for the park's 30th anniversary... or something like that. Some quick web searches aren't turning anything up, but hopefully someone with more knowledge can correct/clarify that. They were originally posted on the old PKIAsylum, and KIExtreme hosted them after the former website died.

They were included on the PKI ACE Collector's Edition DVD created by Jeffrey Siebert, David Mandt and Maureen (Kaiser) Richmond.  The DVD was given out as an exclusive gift to ACE No-Coaster and East-Coaster attendees in January 2005.  It included ride soundtracks, Qtv Excerpts, Ride announcement spoof videos, The Beast 25th anniversary special & more.

Heres mine:  

8F926B3F-FB7E-4421-BC5B-566E2B1DF8DD.jpeg

D2E2F80C-B213-4B81-A830-AED24FB29B62.jpeg

• Like 14

12 hours ago, Shaggy said:

They were included on the PKI ACE Collector's Edition DVD created by Jeffrey Siebert, David Mandt and Maureen (Kaiser) Richmond.  The DVD was given out as an exclusive gift to ACE No-Coaster and East-Coaster attendees in January 2005.  It included ride soundtracks, Qtv Excerpts, Ride announcement spoof videos, The Beast 25th anniversary special & more.

Shaggy, you are a gem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Yeah, the PT music, as awesome as it is, isn't totally ripping off ALW's Phantom of the Opera score. :rolleyes: 

"Theater Theme" sounds like a budget riff on Danny Elfman's Tales From the Crypt theme with a little bit of that Phantom thrown in.  

The queue also used Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, which was used in Hammer's film adaptation of Phantom of the Opera (as well as Gremlins 2's parody of it). 

4 hours ago, Joshua said:

How amazing would it be if someone combined all the PT clips and re-created the full ride experience in audio?

I once spent all day at KI riding PT over and over specifically to memorize everything the characters said.  I'd concentrate on a specific character one ride at a time and when I got off, I'd write down what I heard in a spiral notebook.  (Remember - this was long before smart phones!) I'd then wait in line, get back on and do the same thing for another character.  Sometimes I'd have to ride several times just to catch all the phrases each character said - as the rotational tracks were recorded long enough as to not repeat the same lines while a guests was still in earshot of each scene.  I still have the notes somewhere - and many (most) of the lines are forever stuck in my brain.

For instance... the electrician stagehand at the breaker panel said the following with a bit of a southern accent:

"Who's there?  Backstage is for performers only."

"Hey who's out there? No one's allowed backstage."

"Go on now, this here's no place for playing around!"

But here's some trivia.... originally, he also said: "Where's that light breaker? Oh yeah, there now..." This audio was omitted in the ride's later years and could only sporadically be heard.

And just for posterity... here is a very badly overexposed picture of me in 2002 during the disassembly of the ride - I am actually playing around with the set piece from the Phantom Theater scene I just mentioned.  The figure had been removed, and was sitting (along with the others) in the workshop located adjacent to the ride. 

More trivia: The figure's left arm was flexible pipe - and although it looked animated - it wasn't.  The switch (the one I'm holding) was hinged to a motor-driven lever behind the wall.  It went up and down on its own and when the figures arm was attached - it appeared as if he was pulling the lever up and down. Notice how it differs from the other "breaker" switches?  That's because thet middle piece extended through a slot in the wall, and was hinged to a longer rod.  That rod extended downward and was then attached to a wheel turned by a motor.  As the wheel spun slowly, the arm moved the switch up and down.  (Think of a crankshaft/connecting rod on a locomotive wheel - same premise.)  The figures head and right arm were hydraulic, and would "twist" right to left simultaneously.  Many of the "effects" in Phantom theater were done this way.

Me PT.jpeg

• Like 11

On 5/6/2020 at 2:50 PM, CoasterJack said:

There's also a KiTunes Player on KIE. Sadly, it's flash. But it if your struggling to get Google Drive Files to play, it's a great alternative.

http://kiextreme.com/kitunes.php

I intend to update the flash players to HTML5/Javascript players in the near-ish future, and certainly before end of Flash support.

• Like 1

I'm still sitting on the full indoor / outdoor queue music from TRTR and its SFX and some other rare titles. I did upload the outdoor queue music to YouTube long ago but ever since YouTube went so far succumbing to copyright claims it was taken down. I will link below my Channel which has the Indoor cave/AntiChamber music.

But if anyone is wondering the outdoor/indoor soundtrack is a mix if the music from the motion picture BARAKA, Jumanji (90s) and the official score from the first Paramount Tomb Raider movie soundtrack.

Links:

Tomb Raider Official Score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYrqCMVZ8Iw

Baraka Official Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbsE-gEI1iA&list=OLAK5uy_nzCYCHbvwPu3Cqz8xoczr-PRbX8_zHBqY

Jumanji Score (first few seconds of outdoor music): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nwH5osqciE&list=PLH9C08qrQ7S4BjvE977oZOoX52EumrXEF

TRTR Indoor Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TrbbtXwzOs

And the full TRTR Collection playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHe-L-8ZZ9rCTcW9aRcpgHFJHbll_d2-C

*Additionally a POV is on that collection playlist as well. Its dark most of the time but those that rode it will tell you the dark parts were some of the best!

2 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

I intend to update the flash players to HTML5/Javascript players in the near-ish future, and certainly before end of Flash support.

Sorry, I didn't try to mean it like that. This music player is one of my favorite things on the internet (probably my most used bookmark).  I was more just saying I hope it'll survive past the end of flash.

1 hour ago, CoasterJack said:

Sorry, I didn't try to mean it like that. This music player is one of my favorite things on the internet (probably my most used bookmark).  I was more just saying I hope it'll survive past the end of flash.

It will, with a much better player than the old flash playlist currently used.

• Like 1

Here is the YouTube video I have just uploaded. This is an Audio File  I made using downloads of the audio clips posted in the link at the top of this post. Added in some photos from the ride, most of which were screen shots from ride video.

Not sure if I missed it or what, but could not find the audio clip for Maestro's speech while playing the Organ.  Audio begins 19 seconds into video.  Actual Ride attraction audio begins around 4:08, the first few mins are the clips from the outdoor que and then the Organ music that played in the indoor que area.

Enjoy and I'd love to hear comments.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting that! It sure brought back memories. I was pretty young when Phantom Theater first opened, so I remember the feelings of mystery and terror as I first stepped into the queue. 

Speaking of musical similarities, I also noticed homages to In the Hall of the Mountain King (7:06 ) and Beetlejuice (7:29). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joshua said:

Thanks for posting that! It sure brought back memories. I was pretty young when Phantom Theater first opened, so I remember the feelings of mystery and terror as I first stepped into the queue. 

Speaking of musical similarities, I also noticed homages to In the Hall of the Mountain King (7:06 ) and Beetlejuice (7:29). 

I noticed the Beetlejuice similarity as well.  Will definitely have to go back and listen for the Hall of the Mountain King again.  I am not as familiar with that one as I am Beetlejuice.

19 hours ago, Snowball said:

I moved to Ohio in 2008 and all of these posts about Phantom Theater really make me wish I was able to ride it. It sounds like I missed something awesome.

If you haven't seen any video of it, there are some good ones on YouTube that can give you the general idea of the ride. This is one someone put up recently that I think is the best quality. The ride was very unique, something you would never find at a regional park. I love haunted houses, they are a dying breed in parks and I am trying to ride as many as I can before they disappear. Thankfully the Haunted Mansion at WDW will likely never go anywhere.

• Like 3

That Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle audio hit me hard in the nostalgia! I used to ride that thing ten times in a row when we visited Kings Island. I know people really hate it for replacing Phantom Theater, but The Scooby Doo ride will always have a place in my heart. 

• Thanks 2