Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gforce1994

Brady Bunch - “Cincinnati Kids”

Recommended Posts

As you’re all probably all aware, “The Cincinnati Kids” is a beloved episode of the Brady Bunch. I’m curious if there was any conflicts between Hanna-Barbera, Redwood, and Paramount?
 

If you did not know, in 1972, Filmation (the rivals of Hanna-Barbera), was hired to make the animated series The Brady Kids. At that time, Filmation and HB were in a rivalry with each other, as the corporations were pushing out a large portion of the weekly showing of cartoons.

I’m curious if there were any conflicts between the parties during the production of the episode, and how did Paramount secure the rights to use HB rights, when they were contracted with the competitor?

In regards to the park, I noticed the color schemes in the various sections appears somewhat brighter then in the pictures I’ve seen from that time period. Were the colors really like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

As you’re all probably all aware, “The Cincinnati Kids” is a beloved episode of the Brady Bunch. I’m curious if there was any conflicts between Hanna-Barbera, Redwood, and Paramount?
 

If you did not know, in 1972, Filmation (the rivals of Hanna-Barbera), was hired to make the animated series The Brady Kids. At that time, Filmation and HB were in a rivalry with each other, as the corporations were pushing out a large portion of the weekly showing of cartoons.

I’m curious if there were any conflicts between the parties during the production of the episode, and how did Paramount secure the rights to use HB rights, when they were contracted with the competitor?

In regards to the park, I noticed the color schemes in the various sections appears somewhat brighter then in the pictures I’ve seen from that time period. Were the colors really like that?

In my research over the years, I have read that Paramount & Sherwood Schwartz DID first approach Hanna-Barbera with the idea to produce a Saturday Morning TV series based on The Brady Bunch.  I believe there are some concept stills out there created by HB's lead animator, although I have never personally seen them.

Apparently, Sherwood Schwarz (the creator of The Brady Bunch who owned all rights to the characters) also approached Filmation after having taken note that his own kids were fans of "The Archies" cartoon.  At the time, Filmation had big success with cartoons like "The Archies" and "Sabrina: The Teenage Witch" and "Fat Albert."

As I understand, Filmation was awarded the contract after their quotes for production costs came in exceptionally lower than Hanna-Barbera.  Turns out, their bid didn't reveal everything.  They had planned to re-use previously created animations and story lines from "The Archies" and just over-lay them with the Brady characters.  The cartoon premiered on ABC in fall 1972 and apparently Sherwood Schwartz was so disappointed/upset that he stepped in and assumed all creative control.  By the end of season 1, half the Brady kids refused to continue to voice the cartoons and a lawsuit ensued.  (Their voices were replaced by other actors.)  Filmation stopped production 5 episodes into the second season once they reached the necessary syndication amount.  The entire series lasted only 1.3 seasons - and concluded its original run by October 1973.

Separately,  Paramount Productions, who produced "The Brady Bunch" was a major Taft shareholder.  Taft Productions owned the rights to all Hanna-Barbera characters.  In addition, Paramount acted at the distributor for HB's first feature film - "Charlotte's Web."  (BTW - did you know "The Brady Bunch" cast was used to promote "Charlottes Web?"  They recorded their own versions of the songs, and preformed them at the movie premieres.) The Partridge Family (produced by Screen Gems Television) had a successful episode filmed at KI in 1972.  So in August of 1973, the Bradys followed suit.  The episode aired November 23. 1973 a month AFTER the final first run episode of "The Brady Kids" cartoon aired.

It is worth noting, however, that the "Cincinnati Kids" episode shows very few HB characters.  Hanna-Barbera Land was not used in filming at all (portions of it can be seen very briefly in background shots - and in passing - but thats it) and the Bradys only interact with characters from "Hair Bear Bunch" and "The Banana Splits." The only HB character mentioned by name is Yogi Bear (Jan says the name once to Marcia after exiting the gift shop.)  Of course the Yogi poster includes his name when Mike Brady shows it to the park "executives."  All three shows had ceased production by the time the episode was filmed.  Hair Bear Bunch ended its original run in Jan 1972, Banana Splits ended its original run in Sept 1970,  and Yogi Bear's two namesake shows had both ended by 1968.  An offspring show using the Yogi character did premiere in fall 1973 - so its highly likely they featured Yogi in order to help promote the new cartoon series - especially since the character had not been in used for 5 years. 

One final thing I'll mention... "The Brady Bunch" aired at 8pm ET (7pm PT) followed by "The Partridge Family" at 8:30 ET (7:30 PT) - both on ABC.  They were the considered the primetime lead-ins and commercials for ABC's Saturday morning lineup often aired during the shows.

 

Shaggy

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Paramount acted at the distributor for HB's first feature film - "Charlotte's Web."  

This is only partially true. HB produced two feature films prior to Charlotte's Web: Hey There, It's Yogi Bear (1964) and The Man Called Flintstone (1966), both distributed by Columbia Pictures. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 4:22 PM, Shaggy said:

The Partridge Family (produced by Screen Gems Television) had a successful episode filmed at KI in 1972.  So in August of 1973, the Bradys followed suit.  

Shaggy

Saw the Partridge Family episode for the first time last year and it was so disappointing. Only a few minutes of the episode actually take place in the park. It opens with them performing a song in front of the fountain and then a couple very quick montages that last at most 20-30 seconds each. Most of the episode takes place at the hotel. You hardy see the park in it. The Brady Bunch one was a much more successful park episode i felt.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, purdude86 said:

Saw the Partridge Family episode for the first time last year and it was so disappointing. Only a few minutes of the episode actually take place in the park. It opens with them performing a song in front of the fountain and then a couple very quick montages that last at most 20-30 seconds each. Most of the episode takes place at the hotel. You hardy see the park in it. The Brady Bunch one was a much more successful park episode i felt.

Is it possible that you saw the TV edit of the episode? A good chunk of the footage has been cut to allow for more ad time, like shots of Antique Cars and I think The Racer. The full episode is available on iTunes and for streaming on Hulu (although even the full episode is still substantially Kings Island Inn versus the park)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange. When I watched it on Hulu a few years ago, I recall a good chunk of it taking place at the park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TombraiderTy said:

Is it possible that you saw the TV edit of the episode? A good chunk of the footage has been cut to allow for more ad time, like shots of Antique Cars and I think The Racer. The full episode is available on iTunes and for streaming on Hulu (although even the full episode is still substantially Kings Island Inn versus the park)

It might have been a tv edit then. I just remember there hardly being any footage inside the park itself, compared to Brady Bunch spending the whole episode around the park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...