Possible July opening for Kings Island?

Kodistict

1 minute ago, Kodistict said:

Found this news article from wcpo stating that Kings Island may possibly open in July, thoughts? https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/expert-kings-island-may-open-on-july-1st

I wouldn't believe everything Dennis Spiegel says especially predictions. He predicted that both Orion and Diamondback would have loops instead of helixes as well as Banshee being a wing coaster. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I'm siding with @Shaggy on this one. As of now it's speculation, but I'm gonna wait for an official statement from the park. 

I'll jump on the Shaggy wagon too LOL.

More articles on this forum that quote Dennis and he was wrong more than he is right...

As HC325 said - even looking at plans, Dennis couldn't figure out what we were getting.

Members here have predicted things better than he has.

Given DeWine allowing business leaders within their respective industries to be the make up of Task Forces for their industries, I think even his statement about limiting capacity to 15,000 will be off.  I think they will follow the restaurant leads and say "It will be up to each attraction owner to decide how they plan to address the social distancing guidelines, so a capacity limit will not be introduced"

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

He predicted that both Orion and Diamondback would have loops instead of helixes as well as Banshee being a wing coaster. 

Thats why his those statements and those statements in the article were predictions

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JubJester said:

Thats why his those statements and those statements in the article were predictions

Correct, but if someone's predictions are always wrong, do you put credibility to their predictions?

The article would have been better to do what they normally do and cite a prediction they read in this forum lol:P

58 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I wouldn't believe everything Dennis Spiegel says especially predictions. He predicted that both Orion and Diamondback would have loops instead of helixes as well as Banshee being a wing coaster. 

Well, in the 1970s helixes were defined as horizontal loops. That’s how SFOG got away with calling Mindbender the first triple loop coaster when it has two inversions. They still call the helix a loop:  https://www.sixflags.com/overgeorgia/attractions/mind-bender .

The second gen invert uses the same support and footing design as the wing coaster, so his prediction was almost spot on.

His statement on park’s reopening has been consistent, wait until Shanghai Disney reopens to determine the length of time until the park can reopen. The issue is the Shanghai Disney case is bizarre, as there are regions within China with clusters of COVID-positive individuals. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens when the first park opens, since they need to time it right to ensure profit, while minimizing the chance of spread within the park.

• Like 1

Until there's an official statement from the park themselves I wouldn't put my money on speculation, even if it seems accurate or comes from a credible source. People come on sites like ours and take it to heart before the park can even say anything. Nothing is official until the park says so.

• Like 1

I personally don't put any merit on what local (or any) news stations are putting out, just pay attention to what the park says in their statements. The media knows nothing more than what we all know. Plus as other people have mentioned, the person they credited doesn't have the best track record as far as predictions about KI go.

• Like 2

Why do they always go to Dennis Speigel for a resource in these articles? He’s is the same guy who was for certain Diamondback was going to be a dive coaster because of the splashdown element. He was going by the blueprints that were leaked before the ride’s announcement. I don’t believe a whole lot of what he says. It’s up to the states to give the green light, not some other park in another country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

This reporter is a big KI fan and advocate.  Not the best article in the world, but it's what a lot of people are speculating on, so makes sense to report on it.  Perhaps he should have consulted the Dip N Dots guy instead? 

He's a reporter - first and foremost - and reporters clamor for things that grab headlines and can garner them a lead story.  Kings Island always grabs headlines - that's why he writes about it so often - not necessarily because he's an "advocate."

Frankly, his article could have been summed up in one line:

"Kings Island spokesman Chad Showalter said the park has no opening date or announcement yet."

But the quote from Kings Island's official spokesperson didn't give him anything to report or build the article around.  So, instead, he sought the opinion of an outside source - who's words are speculative - as a "lead" for his story.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

Why do they always go to Dennis Speigel for a resource in these articles? He’s is the same guy who was for certain Diamondback was going to be a dive coaster because of the splashdown element. He was going by the blueprints that were leaked before the ride’s announcement. I don’t believe a whole lot of what he says. It’s up to the states to give the green light, not some other park in another country.

Because he announces this on his website and has probably reached out to all the media:

Are you a reporter looking for expert information regarding Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Herschend Entertainment, Dollywood, Parques Reunidos, Merlin Entertainments, Ardent Leisure, theme parks, amusment parks, waterparks, zoos, aquariums, family entertainment centers or anything in the leisure industry?  Dennis Speigel would be pleased to provide his expert opinion on numerous topics and has been quoted in many major publications worldwide!

I have mentioned it before, but if he is always showing to not be a credible source, why does the media continue to go to him?  From my perspective, there are members on this forum with more credibility...

And how does him being wrong all the time not hurt his business?  Plus I suspect he must not work with CF which is why he so freely offers up his "expert" opinions.

I have also mentioned earlier, maybe he is on some secret retainer with CF to give out false information to divert attention away so that when CF decides to make an announcement, like a ride announcement, it catches everyone by surprise?...

If Ohio follows the same trajectory as Georgia has- which despite opening back up 2-3 weeks ago has had an infection curve that's been basically flat since March 31- opening sooner than July could be possible.  With any virus or infectious bacteria- being outdoors is the best place one can be rather than being cooped up breathing the same air over and over.   

Regardless, when they do open- we're looking at what will be the most sanitary environment EVER at the park.  My guess is that disinfectant was NEVER used on line queues throughout the year, even when the random patron blew chunks in the lines.... Now, maybe several times daily for a while after opening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

If Ohio follows the same trajectory as Georgia has- which despite opening back up 2-3 weeks ago has had an infection curve that's been basically flat since March 31- opening sooner than July could be possible.  With any virus or infectious bacteria- being outdoors is the best place one can be rather than being cooped up breathing the same air over and over.   

Regardless, when they do open- we're looking at what will be the most sanitary environment EVER at the park.  My guess is that disinfectant was NEVER used on line queues throughout the year, even when the random patron blew chunks in the lines.... Now, maybe several times daily for a while after opening.

I would argue the queue rails probably have never been "sanitized".  The trains probably weren't disinfected regularly either.

3 hours ago, Shaggy said:

He's a reporter - and reporters clamor for things that grab headlines and can garner them a lead story.  First and foremost.  Kings Island always grabs headlines - that's why he writes about it so often - not necessarily because he's an "advocate."

Frankly, his article could have been summed up in one line:

"Kings Island spokesman Chad Showalter said the park has no opening date or announcement yet."

But, that official quote didn't give him anything to report or build the article around.  So, instead, he sought the opinion of an outside source - who's words are speculative.

Speaking of articles providing an update - 

Check out this one that shows Nitro at Six Flags instead of Orion...but at least they didn't speculate...

https://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Kings-Island-announces-2-events-postponed-provides-reopening-update-570340361.html

My question is this: how are restaurants going to be able to get their hands on enough sanitary equipment to ensure guests their place of business is safe let alone an entire amusement park? 

People and companies are still buying sanitizer and cleaning supplies out the wazoo so I don't know how long KI's supplies will last and how fast they can replenish them.

• Like 1

RE: Dennis.  He has far more knowledge of the industry and contacts than most anyone in this forum does, or ever will.  He started at Coney, was instrumental in the founding of KI and KD.  He would not violate what is probably an unwritten code and give away secrets, so I would guess he tries to throw some things off while giving the park free publicity.  He seems to be doing pretty well for himself at this stage in his life.  If CF wanted to distance themselves from him, I am certain he would not be invited to Coasterstock and be considered one of the fan favorites.

RE: sanitizing queue rails:  the only people who will benefit are the ones who are next thru or others who never touch anything.  Unless there was a person there to sanitize the railings after anybody touched them, the rails will always be violated.  The only thing I have ever seen close to that was at Holiday World.  It was at the Thanksgiving buffet place and they literally had a guy by the doors and whenever someone touched the glass, he cleaned the fingerprint off as soon as the entered or exited.  

• Like 5

While Dennis might miss some elements to coasters that enthusiasts might be able to pick out or be incorrect about specific details, he's a good quote, has the background and experience, and available to reporters.  Cedar Fair would never give anything other than a canned corporate response (Vortex closing seemingly out of nowhere..."end of service life")...and I get that and don't begrudge them.   Outside sources are necessary, even if it's just speculation. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...