Screamin’ Demon

gforce1994

I was doing a bit of research on the Screamin Demon as part of a recreation, and I had a few questions:

1. It was part of a $5 million upgrade of the park. Was the ride really that expensive (Beast was $3.2 million), or were there other additions as well?

2. Why did they drop the sixth car in the 1980s? 

3. Did the ride really have multiple color schemes, as images show different color patterns.

You can check out the recreation:

360C8BB1-824B-4212-913E-50CCCA539B13.png

2D0B9D8F-C7A3-4A3D-A8CC-C7B709F11801.png

https://www.facebook.com/coasternation/videos/302273457440884/?

• Like 4

There were other additions as well that added up to the $5 million.

And yes, the ride had, to my knowledge, 2 different color schemes while at the park. However, I'm not quite sure if the ride was painted before installation or after.

Also a fun tidbit is that the ride was very commonly referred to, even by the park, as just "The Demon".

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, TheBEASTunchained said:

There were other additions as well that added up to the $5 million.

And yes, the ride had, to my knowledge, 2 different color schemes while at the park. However, I'm not quite sure if the ride was painted before installation or after.

Also a fun tidbit is that the ride was very commonly referred to, even by the park, as just "The Demon".

The funny thing is I’ve seen documents refer to both names in the same season. It’s clear there was no definite answer to it’s true name. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

1. It was part of a $5 million upgrade of the park. Was the ride really that expensive (Beast was $3.2 million), or were there other additions as well?

Lots of other additions in 1977... Boulder Bumpers, International Showplace, Stadium of the Stars, North American animals to the safari, Fascination, Kings Island Inn expansion, Pinball Attic, Flintstones subsection in the children's area...

2. Why did they drop the sixth car in the 1980s? 

The sixth car actually appears to have been dropped during the ride's first year of operation. There's an interesting article in the Cincinnati Enquirer from September 11, 1977 where Director of Ride Operations Bill Reed is quoted as saying "We were able to adapt the new ride to our needs. The ride was designed with a four-car train. We wanted it changed to five cars, for capacity. The engineers changed the structure on the ride, tested it in our location, and decided it was safe.” However, several photos and videos from the 1977 season show a six car train... including this small news article from less than two weeks earlier:

image.png

I don't know if the above malfunction had anything to do with the six car train, but based off Reed's quote they may have changed the train length shortly after. At the latest, it was five cars by 1978 based off photos.

3. Did the ride really have multiple color schemes, as images show different color patterns.

I think you answered your own question there. The gradient was present its first couple seasons but gone by 1981. It was a dull brown up until its removal from Kings Island.

For what it's worth, your recreation shouldn't have the yellow going as far up both hills and doesn't use enough orange. Here's a great shot of the whole ride from 1978, courtesy jade_41171 on flickr:

5317024621_f44d7e705a_o.jpg

Regarding Screamin' Demon versus Demon... they were used interchangeably at points, but 1982 is the first year the ride was referenced exclusively as "The Demon" in the park guides.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DiamondBeast said:

Does anyone remember the rideing The Demon or ridden another Arrow Shuttle Loop? We're the launches and vertical loop forceful? 

I rode Revolution at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and thought it was a really fun ride. It doesn’t stand out in my mind as particularly forceful, but the drops had almost standing airtime, especially on the backwards trip.

• Like 2

Also after going forward there is an operator shack.  I remember because I always used to wave to the ride op as we started going backwards!  Loved that ride!

1 hour ago, DiamondBeast said:

Does anyone remember the rideing The Demon or ridden another Arrow Shuttle Loop? We're the launches and vertical loop forceful? 

Not very forceful to my memory.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DiamondBeast said:

The one at Elitch is very forceful. Strong airtime followed by strong positive gforces. It’s a fun ride.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DiamondBeast said:

This was my first inverted coaster, and I first rode it when I was just 6 years old.  The loop was not forceful enough for me as a child that young to be scared of it, or think it was crazy intense.  It Just seemed like a fun ride that went upside-down and backwards.  Backwards was always fun for me anyways, as I refused to ride Racer forwards and would only go backwards my first few visits to the park.  I guess that  I was not as afraid of what I could not see. haha! This ride was my next logical step from that :)

Also rode this ride a few years after it had moved to Camden Park.  At the time, I only knew it was a coaster that was just like Kings Island's former The Demon, and not that it actually was, in fact, the exact same ride.  I feel like if I had known that at the time, I would have enjoyed it even more.  My cousins and I rode it probably 14 times that day at Camden Park and there was little to no wait for it the day we were there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TombraiderTy said:

Regarding Screamin' Demon versus Demon... they were used interchangeably at points, but 1982 is the first year the ride was referenced exclusively as "The Demon" in the park guides.

The park first dropped "Screamin'" in marketing materials in 1980 (park maps kept the "Screamin'" until 1981 I believe.)  I was told this was a Marketing/PR move in order to mesh it with the "The Beast" - since it didn't have and adjective in front of it's name. (Meaning it wasn't called something like "The Raging Beast" or "The Flaming Beast" etc.) But by 1984 the park was back to calling the ride "Screamin' Demon" on park maps and print materials. (Which would make sense since the newest coaster name was "King Cobra"... not simply "Cobra.")

Ironically, the earliest logo made for the ride only included the name "The Demon." I believe it was created by Lawler Ballard Little - who simultaneously developed "The Beast's" logo.

image.png

Its worth mentioning that for 1980 - both Mariott's Great America parks extensively refurbished their "Turn of the Century" Arrow Corkscrew Coasters, painted them black and re-named them "Demon." Now, doesn't it seem "ironic" that Kings Island would begin to call their ride simply "Demon" in the same year as the other two appeared? ;-)  I've never had it confirmed officially, but I believe it may have been a marketing ploy by the park.

By the early-to-mid 1980's a new logo was developed - which again included "Screamin'."  The logo switch was made, from what I have been told, to eliminate the "bat-like" wings of the original.  Since the park now had "The Bat" they wanted a change.  Here's the later logo.

image.png

Just for overall clarification - the ride's original, intended name is "Screamin' Demon" - with the adjective and an apostrophe.  That is what the park has officially called the (former) ride whenever it refers to it's history at the park.  (FYI - from time to time both the park, news articles and advertisements got the name complete wrong - and added a "g".... "Screaming Demon.") Also, the general public never dropped the "Screamin" when talking of the ride.  For anyone who attended and/or rode the coaster - its always been "Screamin' Demon."

Now as far as the ride goes...

The (Screamin') Demon was mid-level ride when it came to forces.  The launch had a "jolt" to it and the drops were pretty abrupt - specifically the end seats (rear car got "yanked" down the hill when going forward, the front car got "yanked" down the hill when going backward.)  The loop's feel was virtually identical to that of a loop on any other Arrow.  The teardrop loop on Corkscrew at CP probably feels the closest - but Vortex's loops felt pretty much the same.

Most people don't recall, or never knew, it made a distinct sound.  It rattled a lot, and there was a sort of "hisssssss..... Bang!" that you heard when the brakes released and the launch initiated.  It could be distinctly heard in the north end of the parking lot where you could also see it operate from certain areas.  It wasn't much higher than the trees, but you definitely could watch it.

When the ride navigated the first loop and climbed the second hill, the brakes grabbed it pretty abruptly.  Then they released and the train slowly rolled toward the end of the track where the launch "car" was.  If you were sitting in the front car, it could be unnerving because the track looked as if it just ended. The drop backwards was always the biggest "thrill."

Although the train had a elongated "hood" on both ends, I believe the riders on Screamin' Demon always faced one direction.  While other (later) Arrow shuttle loops split the direction of the riders... half the cars riders faced one way, half cars riders faced the other.  That way there were essentially 2 "front" seats.  SD would valley from time to time and the train would rock back and forth between the loop and the base of the drop.  I believe (I never saw it happen) they had a way of winching it back up the hill.

Shaggy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

The park first dropped "Screamin'" in marketing materials in 1980 (park maps kept the "Screamin'" until 1981 I believe.)  I was told this was a Marketing/PR move in order to mesh it with the "The Beast" - since it didn't have and adjective in front of it's name. (Meaning it wasn't called something like "The Raging Beast" or "The Flaming Beast" etc.) But by 1984 the park was back to calling the ride "Screamin' Demon" on park maps and print materials. 

The 1981 park guide is the last time it was referred to as Screamin' Demon in a typical park map. From 1982 through its closure all references in the typical park maps were just The Demon... yet the park was weirdly inconsistent elsewhere. Like the poster maps - it was referred to as The Demon on the 1982 poster map onward, up until its final season when the 1987 poster map called it Screamin' Demon again. Weirdly the 1987 park map still listed it as The Demon though. And a 1984 brochure also lists Screamin' Demon in a description of the park's rides, whereas the 1984 park map used The Demon. I wonder what the actual entrance sign said during these years.

There's no audio, but here's some wonderful footage of the ride in action from its first year (featuring that six car train). Lots of other vintage Kings Island in the video too:

And some more great footage, now with the five car train, starting at 2:37 in this video:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

The 1981 park guide is the last time it was referred to as Screamin' Demon in a typical park map. 

Please note I was speaking in terms of overall public facing materials - not just park maps.

In 1980, the park first featured the logo - including ONLY "The Demon" as a part of its Souvenir book.  The souvenir booklet from 1979 did not - as it had yet to be developed.

My main point - which seems to have been obscured - is that the decision to "change" the name was a concentrated effort on the behalf of those in marketing.

Over time, as the coaster's marketability waned, the focus namesake was most definitely blurred.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Please note I was speaking in terms of overall public facing materials - not just park maps.

In 1980, the park first featured the logo - including ONLY "The Demon" as a part of its Souvenir book.  The souvenir booklet from 1979 did not - as it had yet to be developed.

My main point - which seems to have been obscured - is that the decision to "change" the name was a concentrated effort on the behalf of those in marketing.

Over time, as the coaster's marketability waned, the focus namesake was most definitely blurred.

I was just responding to the park maps - as you stated, they were inconsistent elsewhere and didn't stick with only The Demon after the change. For what it's worth, I've also always wondered if (and assumed that) the name change was to make The Demon consistent with The Beast and later The Bat.

The ride definitely waned in terms of marketability... while looking through old brochures, it was slowly mentioned less and less. Interestingly, it seems Viking Fury took its place in a lot of the ride descriptions.

Regarding the ride's logo, I believe @jandyb79 previously shared some early drafts of the demon character... including one with a full body. I cannot find them in his post history, but it was very interesting to see how the concept evolved into the logo they ultimately used.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Most people don't recall, or never knew, it made a distinct sound.  It rattled a lot, and there was a sort of "hisssssss..... Bang!" that you heard when the brakes released and the launch initiated.  It could be distinctly heard in the north end of the parking lot where you could also see it operate from certain areas.

If I am remembering correctly, this sound was loud enough that eventually the ride would be shut down during Timberwolf concerts as it was too distracting for the performers and the audience members while shows were in progress.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Joshua said:

For those interested, I believe footage of this ride in action can be seen in a TV documentary called "America Screams." 

The second video I shared in my above post is actually the footage you're talking about... although the YouTube video title is confusingly in Spanish. Here's the full video, now with an English title. Screamin' Demon starts around the 21:20 mark:

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

The second video I shared in my above post is actually the footage you're talking about... although the YouTube video is confusingly in Spanish. Here's the full video, now with an English title. Screamin' Demon starts around the 21:20 mark:

Now I’m interested, why did nobody buy the second gen version of the ride with the batwing? That would have been compact and more thrilling.

• Like 2

I rode Screamin' Demon. I don't remember the launches being particularly forceful. What I do remember is waiting in those awful lines, walking up the tower to ride, the drops and loop. It was my first looping coaster and first coaster backwards (Racer being the 2nd). No one that I know of that went there referred to it as just The Demon. I also remember getting a cool pennant (wish I still had it) that had logos for The Beast, The Bat and The Screamin' Demon. Can't recall if there were any other coasters or rides listed on it.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

The second video I shared in my above post is actually the footage you're talking about... although the YouTube video title is confusingly in Spanish. Here's the full video, now with an English title. Screamin' Demon starts around the 21:20 mark:

I love that documentary. One thing is for sure, you can never have too much Vincent Price.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 11:29 AM, WhatTheBlazes said:

This was my first inverted coaster, and I first rode it when I was just 6 years old.  The loop was not forceful enough for me as a child that young to be scared of it, or think it was crazy intense.  It Just seemed like a fun ride that went upside-down and backwards.  Backwards was always fun for me anyways, as I refused to ride Racer forwards and would only go backwards my first few visits to the park.  I guess that  I was not as afraid of what I could not see. haha! This ride was my next logical step from that :)

Also rode this ride a few years after it had moved to Camden Park.  At the time, I only knew it was a coaster that was just like Kings Island's former The Demon, and not that it actually was, in fact, the exact same ride.  I feel like if I had known that at the time, I would have enjoyed it even more.  My cousins and I rode it probably 14 times that day at Camden Park and there was little to no wait for it the day we were there.

I rode this at Camden Park myself.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingsMills79 said:

In the 1978 pic a few posts above, what was that stadium seating behind Bavarian Beetle used for?

As Shaggy said, Stadium of Stars (sometimes referred to as Stadium of the Stars). It repurposed some of the bleachers the park had purchased for the Evel Knievel motorcycle jump and was used for visiting celebrities. It was added in 1977 and was last used in 1981. Festhaus sits in its spot now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TombraiderTy said:

As Shaggy said, Stadium of Stars (sometimes referred to as Stadium of the Stars). It repurposed some of the bleachers the park had purchased for the Evel Knievel motorcycle jump and was used for visiting celebrities. It was added in 1977 and was last used in 1981. Festhaus sits in its spot now.

That must have been an interesting process to reconstruct them. Were they disassembled and then reconstructed?

The change to The Demon came about tgd sane time Scooby Doo was changed to The Beastie.   After the installation of The Beast and The Bat. 

They went with  a The “insert monster name here” naming scheme to their coasters except Racer.   IMO Screamin’ Demon and Scooby Doo were better names.   And it was overuse of the word THE.