Most "Out of Left Field Coasters"?

If you follow the amusement park industry you can usually have a good guess as to what parks are going to get certain coasters. For example you're a Six Flags fan you know your park is probably gonna get a freespin, rmc conversion, etc. Though on occasion there have been coasters that have completely come out of left field. 

Here's some of mine:

• Wonder Mountain's Guardian
  • Cobra's Curse
  • West Coast Racers

These are by no means bad rides, but I don't think they were what people had in mind prior to the coasters being reviled.

9 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

If you follow the amusement park industry you can usually have a good guess as to what parks are going to get certain coasters. For example you're a Six Flags fan you know your park is probably gonna get a freespin, rmc conversion, etc. Though on occasion there have been coasters that have completely come out of left field. 

Here's some of mine:

• Wonder Mountain's Guardian
  • Cobra's Curse
  • West Coast Racers

These are by no means bad rides, but I don't think they were what people had in mind prior to the coasters being reviled.

Cobra's curse and WCR are excellent rides.   People thought MM was getting a MACK cause a mack employee said California instead of Carolina.  The most out of left field is IJST announced by Paramount at the height of the coaster wars and KD hyping a major announcement a few years back that everyone thought was a coaster but was a Planet Snoopy expansion.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2020 at 9:37 AM, coaster sally said:

The most out of left field is IJST announced by Paramount at the height of the coaster wars

The height of the coaster wars? I'd say it came out during the end. Top Thill Dragster hit the 400ft mark and Kingda Ka beat that just a few years later. There's no way KI could've added anything that massive, or really added anything else that would give KI an advantage over othet parks. Son of Beast and Flight of Fear were our coaster wars entries. You have to remember that we were a Paramount park so the chain had to make rides to promote their movies. Out of left field? Perhaps, but I wouldn't say PKI was as concerned about the coaster wars to begin with. We got 3 pretty significant flat rides between 1999-2003 if you want to fact check me. 

• Like 1