Kings Island 2020 Finally Open Thread

RedSummit20

7 hours ago, PatchesC said:

Close proximity is inside the 6ft bubble which is the reason for the queue spacing markers.

If Orion runs at its 1,650 rides per hour capacity, family members standing in pairs and six feet apart could be queuing into the main parking lot.

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

I would suspect that a separator will be stationed outside the main que entrance to monitor the number of people allowed in line at one time.

Great and then who monitors the big crowd outside the main que entrance trying be the next person that is allowed in line?

• Like 1

I mean, I think we all agree that there should be some sort of plan for the potential of Orion being a disaster in terms of social distancing, right? But what concerns me is that I think if there were a plan, we'd know about it by now...and we don't.

2 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Great and then who monitors the big crowd outside the main que entrance trying be the next person that is allowed in line?

I think this is one of the reasons they are requiring the app with location services turned on, to monitor large crowds that form and deal with them accordingly 

• Like 2

In this case Orion’s going to suffer from having four across seating. Compare it to Diamondback. Both rides have a 32 rider capacity but with covid will be knocked down to 16 each. Now imagine a group of 6 comes up at both rides. In diamond back the groups can broken up into 3 sets of two leaving no empty seats. ( not including the ones that are being blocked off for social distancing). On Orion a group of 6 would be split into 3 and 3 or 4 and 2. Either way there’s gonna be extra empty seats that can’t be filled. If someone is in a group of two at Diamondback no more seats are lost. At Orion two seats are no longer filled. Now worst case scenario is a group of one. On diamond back you are loosing one seat but on Orion you are loosing three. With this in mind Orion’s capacity is going to be really bad even with quick dispatches. 

58 minutes ago, XBeastGirlX said:

I think this is one of the reasons they are requiring the app with location services turned on, to monitor large crowds that form and deal with them accordingly 

That’s great and all but still begs the question of who gets let in the line.   If the queue is cut off because it is full how does one get in the queue when they open the queue back up?  Just the few that are standing around the entrance? How do you get to be that chosen few?  Do they force everyone out of Area 72 and set up cattle pens to keep people out then make an announcement that it is open and have a running of the bulls?  Wouldn’t people then start congregating in Coney Mall so they would be the first let in?

I don’t understand how any of this works without some sort of virtual queue in some form or another.  

6 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

That’s great and all but still begs the question of who gets let in the line.   If the queue is cut off because it is full how does one get in the queue when they open the queue back up?  Just the few that are standing around the entrance? How do you get to be that chosen few?  Do they force everyone out of Area 72 and set up cattle pens to keep people out then make an announcement that it is open and have a running of the bulls?  Wouldn’t people then start congregating in Coney Mall so they be the first let in?

I don’t understand how any of this works without some sort of virtual queue in some form or another.  

I could see them very quickly having to implement something for Orion. Something like what Disney did with Star Wars might be a good option. I don’t think any of the other rides will need it. 

6 minutes ago, bengalsguy23 said:

In this case Orion’s going to suffer from having four across seating. Compare it to Diamondback. Both rides have a 32 rider capacity but with covid will be knocked down to 16 each. Now imagine a group of 6 comes up at both rides. In diamond back the groups can broken up into 3 sets of two leaving no empty seats. ( not including the ones that are being blocked off for social distancing). On Orion a group of 6 would be split into 3 and 3 or 4 and 2. Either way there’s gonna be extra empty seats that can’t be filled. If someone is in a group of two at Diamondback no more seats are lost. At Orion two seats are no longer filled. Now worst case scenario is a group of one. On diamond back you are loosing one seat but on Orion you are loosing three. With this in mind Orion’s capacity is going to be really bad even with quick dispatches. 

Has it been confirmed that they will space out parties on the trains? I’m only wondering because they are requiring everyone to wear a mask, including while on the ride. I went to Holiday World last weekend and they left two empty rows between each party, except Thunderbird (full capacity), but literally no one wore masks there. 

9 minutes ago, XBeastGirlX said:

Has it been confirmed that they will space out parties on the trains? I’m only wondering because they are requiring everyone to wear a mask, including while on the ride. I went to Holiday World last weekend and they left two empty rows between each party, except Thunderbird (full capacity), but literally no one wore masks there. 

That’s what they are doing at worlds of fun so I assume yes. 

• Thanks 1

Social distancing and wearing masks are principles that help prevent inhalation of droplets emitted through sneezes and cough of an asymptomatic person. These principals cannot work on a roller coaster train traveling at speed, where riders immediately pass through the air expelled by riders in front of them.

1 hour ago, NegativeGs said:

Social distancing and wearing masks are principles that help prevent inhalation of droplets emitted through sneezes and cough of an asymptomatic person. These principals cannot work on a roller coaster train traveling at speed, where riders immediately pass through the air expelled by riders in front of them.

Forgive me for asking, but wouldn’t sneezes and cough be considered symptoms?  I guess I always understood “asymptomatic” to be completely without any symptoms..

33 minutes ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Forgive me for asking, but wouldn’t sneezes and cough be considered symptoms?  I guess I always understood “asymptomatic” to be completely without any symptoms..

My understanding is that asymptomatic carriers are oblivious to the effects of the virus.  So a cough or a sneeze would go unnoticed.  And if you think about it, most people cough or sneeze several times a day before Rona showed up.

I have a friend who was just diagnosed with COVID 19.  She is in her 50's.  Generally healthy, no pre-existing issues except standard obesity.  She swore she had a false positive because she just feels like she is having allergies.  But she had the test done three times.  Positive each time.  

I just had a thought about the face masks. What are people using when you have glasses and not fog up your glasses? I use a mask all the time when I mow grass but if I stand still my glasses fog up. This will be a problem standing in line. I have tried many different kinds of masks and non of them allow me to stand still and not fog my glasses. 

The soap and water trick requires a very light rinse and preferably an air dry.   Soap with moisturizers probably won’t work as well just like the tissues with moisturizers like aloe are poor for cleaning.  The goal is to leave a slight clean soap film on the inside of the lenses.  Rubbing with saliva will help and there are many commercial products available as well that may work better. For swim goggles Jaws Liquid Spit worked well for me if I let it air dry. 

The Jaws brand doesn’t seem available on Amazon anymore but if you search anti-fog for glasses there are many options including wipes, which may be more convenient for the park than a 1oz bottle.  

1 hour ago, jensenracing77 said:

I just had a thought about the face masks. What are people using when you have glasses and not fog up your glasses? I use a mask all the time when I mow grass but if I stand still my glasses fog up. This will be a problem standing in line. I have tried many different kinds of masks and non of them allow me to stand still and not fog my glasses. 

Place a piece of paper towel on the bridge of your nose.  The paper will soak up the moisture.

2 hours ago, jensenracing77 said:

I ordered this, only have to apply 2-3 times a week (working 70hrs a week in 90 degrees) for my work safety glasses. Doesn't leave the film the wipes do

Screenshot_20200626-091710_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jensenracing77 said:

The solution is to always go to the Coke freestyle Stand in Rivertown and get a drink for your hand...:lol:

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

My neck gaiter, with the nose covered properly, does not fog my glasses.  Unfortunately, I cannot wear this at work.

That was my choice for protection as well. I feel bad for you that you can't wear it at work, way more comfortable in my opinion, but mine manages to fog my glasses... There's just no win when you're blind and trying to not kill people. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NegativeGs said:

While I see the theory here - this clearly isn't the case or we'd know of outbreaks at parks that have already reopened.

2 minutes ago, NightlyBeast said:

parks haven't been open enough for tracing to be established

Not only that it can take up to 14 days for symptoms to appear and then more time before they become severe enough to warrant a test.  On top of that contact tracing is not very robust in most areas in the US and where it is cooperation is very limited.  Then if there is information is not in the public domain and aggregate data is sporadically released to the public if at all. It is also only done within a state and the virus does not respect borders much less state borders.

The US for many reasons does not have a robust nationwide contact tracing system.  

2 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Not only that it can take up to 14 days for symptoms to appear and then more time before they become severe enough to warrant a test.  On top of that contact tracing is not very robust in most areas in the US and where it is cooperation is very limited.  Then if there is information is not in the public domain and aggregate data is sporadically released to the public if at all. It is also only done within a state and the virus does not respect borders much less state borders.

The US for many reasons does not have a robust nationwide contact tracing system.  

Contact tracing is limited even at my employer, they only ask someone who they've been in close contact with at work. At least 1 instance the person did NOT disclose the group of people he was going to lunch with daily. When word spread who it was,  and those coworkers came forward with being in contact 12 more people all had to be off for 2 weeks because there was no testing for asymptomatic and masks hadn't been instituted then. 2 other instances the positive results took so long the 14 day symptom period had already passed before getting the report so it was decided no one needed to quarantine if they didn't show symptoms.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NegativeGs said:

Your mask prevents you from expelling the load of droplets you would normally expel on a coaster ride.  My mask protects you, not me. Your mask protects me, not you. If everyone is covered, mouth and nose, and you are also practicing distancing, the likelihood of contact with enough droplets in the air for infection is significantly lowered.  That is the principle.  And that can work on a fast moving coaster. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, iheartbeast79 said:

Your mask prevents you from expelling the load of droplets you would normally expel on a coaster ride.  My mask protects you, not me. Your mask protects me, not you. If everyone is covered, mouth and nose, and you are also practicing distancing, the likelihood of contact with enough droplets in the air for infection is significantly lowered.  That is the principle.  And that can work on a fast moving coaster. 

I agree, masks are generally for prevention, not protection. As long as everyone wears a mask per CDC guidelines (rated for a 80 to 90 mph wind speed) we are safer. That said, I'll be at KI riding coasters in July and beyond. Statistically, we're more likely to be injured driving to KI and home than contracting COVID-19.

2 minutes ago, NegativeGs said:

I agree, masks are generally for prevention, not protection. As long as everyone wears a mask per CDC guidelines (rated for a 80 to 90 mph wind speed) we are safer. That said, I'll be at KI riding coasters in July and beyond. Statistically, we're more likely to be injured driving to KI and home than contracting COVID-19.

Can you provide those statistics to prove your point?