Kings Island 2020 Finally Open Thread

RedSummit20

22 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Yes. Go to entrance of area 72. We got there yesterday at 1 and got tickets for return 3-4. Come back during that time to ride. We came at the end of our slot and pretty much walked right On (I even MADE the kids walk through the preshow as the line wasn’t even routed through there.) when we got off right before 4 the next grouped was backed up all the way to the area 72 entrance, so they hold the line until the next time opens. 

Thx! Can't wait to ride it

45 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

They wouldn't be open if they weren't going to make money.  They know what it takes from an attendance stand point to be open.  Also, keep in mind, they are still in passholder previews, the system was only allowing two reservations and its the hottest it has been all year, with no water park.  

The heat is definitely a factor, absolutely. Good point. Most people in the park have been leaving by 3-4pm every day.

1 minute ago, brenthodge said:

Anyone know how late you can come in? I have rez for this Friday and since we were just there Monday, don’t want to spend the whole day (and it REALLY empties out about 4) so we were just coming later. 

As late as you want (closing is at 7 of course). I went at 4pm last week, left at 6 and a couple of people were coming in as we were leaving. 

Just want to throw a big warning out there: I cannot stress this enough, please please please treat all associates with respect and DO NOT get mad at associates over enforcing the rules! I'm saying this because yesterday, one of my coworkers at carousel who is a minor was berated to the point where she was being recorded by the person berating her over trying to enforce the mask policy. Luckily the other associate called security right away, but she was stunned to the point of tears. Thank you!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Just want to throw a big warning out there: I cannot stress this enough, please please please treat all associates with respect and DO NOT get mad at associates over enforcing the rules! I'm saying this because yesterday, one of my coworkers at carousel who is a minor was berated to the point where she was being recorded by the person berating her over trying to enforce the mask policy. Luckily the other associate called security right away, but she was stunned to the point of tears. Thank you!

So unfortunate, but saw that coming. It's not right.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishely said:

I’ve never redeemed a season pass at Kings Island, is there a processing booth we go to first? And does that open before the park? Also dining plans automatically add to the season pass right? Thank you all.

Yes, ticket services is located to the left of the front gate. If you've purchased daily tickets before, it is to the far left of that building.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Sucks to hear this.  Both days I was there all the employees were fantastic.  Ride ops chatting while we waited.  Store and food employees were nothing but nice.  

• Like 1

For processing season passes, that can be done online this season. From the Welcoming You Back FAQ:

As a new passholder without a Season Pass card, you will need to process your Season Pass. To make this easier and contact-free, you can now handle this online.

Simply create or login to your Kings Island website account, click “Manage Passes”, click “ADD MY PASS” and enter the Ticket ID you received when you purchased online along with any other outstanding profile information. Once you’ve completed adding your pass, you’re all set to visit. You can even add your pass to the mobile app for quick and convenient entry into the park.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, chibul said:

Season passholder preview has been shortened by two days - park is now open to all guests as of July 10.

Fast passes also now available for purchase.

They've also added reservation times all the way to 6pm, and expanded capacity for every day.

Fast Lane Plus not available on KI website. I hope you are saying that they are available for purchase in the park.

I'm supposed to go to Cedar Point tomorrow, but am tempted to just stay here another day if I can get the reservation what would I be penalized for missing my res at cp?...it looks like it's going to be full capacity there as it is opening day.

I have to assume the reservation system turned a lot of people off...I know the times/ days I wanted were unavailable, so I got what was, then what I wanted became available, but I couldn't get them, because I couldn't cancel the ones I had efficiently

Its also hard ask to drive 6+ hours one way for 8 hours in the park...less with weather...leaving at 7 just felt dumb...add to that no movies or anything to do to kill the remainder of the evening, of course that has nothing to do with the park, but as a result of coming to the park, I did a lot of thumb twiddling yesterday.

It's also 100+ degrees out...not remotely pleasant to begin with, and with no shows or indoor anything, when the rides all go down for weather I'm not sure what we're expected to do other than leave.

I'm not complaining. I'm going back over there in an hour or so. But I'm also slightly warped in the head and feel being on rollercoasters is the only time I wouldn't rather just be dead...and even at that I almost bailed yesterday. I've no clue how a normie would fare, but from the looks of yesterday....

The Hanks burrito was awesome, really, but dont grab a walk on on Banshee immediately after.

7 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Daily tickets now being sold for July 9th, pushing it up 2 days. There’s a reason they did this, and it ain’t to be nice. 
https://www.visitkingsisland.com/welcoming-you-back

Yep. I don’t think things are going that great. Actually I’d rather at this point see them cut days ( M-W) maybe add an hour each way (10-8) and get rid of reservations. They have to know through gate clicks coming (and figure out how to count leaving if they don’t) the current actual capacity. If you account for a certain % of “be backs” you should be able to know at any given time, and communicate via a digital link, the current capacity. People would have to acknowledge that that could change by the time they got there, and if the preferred, make a reservation guaranteeing a spot, but not make it mandatory. I think it would increase the number of pass holders filling in the gap between the daily sales (that would make a reservation) and hopefully keep the park on a better financial footing. The off days could still be used for general maintenance and minor repairs etc if they need to keep staff on. 

• Like 2

So went yesterday and had a great time and while I was sitting in the Festhaus I had an idea.  Entertainment should every so often (30 - 45 minutes?) show the "Many The Hours" video that was on you tube from the entertainment folks.  It would be a nice way to showcase the talent we have that can't be seen this year.   It is an excellent video and something that the park should showcase and be proud of.  (plus it beats the heck out of the cute pets :))

38 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Yep. I don’t think things are going that great. Actually I’d rather at this point see them cut days ( M-W) maybe add an hour each way (10-8) and get rid of reservations. They have to know through gate clicks coming (and figure out how to count leaving if they don’t) the current actual capacity. If you account for a certain % of “be backs” you should be able to know at any given time, and communicate via a digital link, the current capacity. People would have to acknowledge that that could change by the time they got there, and if the preferred, make a reservation guaranteeing a spot, but not make it mandatory. I think it would increase the number of pass holders filling in the gap between the daily sales (that would make a reservation) and hopefully keep the park on a better financial footing. The off days could still be used for general maintenance and minor repairs etc if they need to keep staff on. 

This is what Worlds of Fun appears to have done (although they didn't add any extra hours). 

19 minutes ago, AnotherCoasterNerd said:

Planning to head there after work today (arriving around 5) simply to ride Orion. Anyone know if I will still be able to ride if they run out of rider tickets? Just curious if they start letting anyone on towards the end of the day, or how that works.

They've been opening it up to everyone around 5-6. Most have reported walk-ons.

• Like 1

I think I figured out a good way to ensure I get on Orion when I go, but it means I won't buy a pass :( The day tickets have time slots as early as 10:30 on Saturday. The earliest passholder slot is for noon. I guess I'm just going to buy a single day ticket and go Saturday and hope for the best. Sadly, I think this will be the only time I will go this season, since I don't want to buy a single day ticket and then a pass on top of that just to ensure that I will get a ticket to ride Orion this Saturday.

27 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

I think I figured out a good way to ensure I get on Orion when I go, but it means I won't buy a pass :( The day tickets have time slots as early as 10:30 on Saturday. The earliest passholder slot is for noon. I guess I'm just going to buy a single day ticket and go Saturday and hope for the best. Sadly, I think this will be the only time I will go this season, since I don't want to buy a single day ticket and then a pass on top of that just to ensure that I will get a ticket to ride Orion this Saturday.

Also, if you wait till the end of the day, i've been three times and the time to go is like between 6 and 6:10, they'll let you on without an access pass, but they shut off the line depending on crowds around 6;15, so you've gotta time it perfectly. 

55 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

Get whatever reservation is available.  Show up around 10:15 am, park, and go inside the park.  Make your way to Orion.  Get in line or get a card.  Done.  You're making this too hard.  Reservations times don't really mean anything.  Plenty of people have gone in before their slot.

Even on their busiest days (days with no reservations left) they had Orion cards til 1 or 1:30.

• Haha 1