Kings Island 2020 Finally Open Thread

RedSummit20

32 minutes ago, CoasterJack said:

Also, if you wait till the end of the day, i've been three times and the time to go is like between 6 and 6:10, they'll let you on without an access pass, but they shut off the line depending on crowds around 6;15, so you've gotta time it perfectly. 

I tend to try to leave by 4 since I have a 2.5 hour drive home. Thank you though!

6 minutes ago, jimlaheyscar said:

Get whatever reservation is available.  Show up around 10:15 am, park, and go inside the park.  Make your way to Orion.  Get in line or get a card.  Done.  You're making this too hard.  Reservations times don't really mean anything.  Plenty of people have gone in before their slot.

Even on their busiest days (days with no reservations left) they had Orion cards til 1 or 1:30.

I'm not making it hard at all, I'm actually trying to make it pretty simple for myself so I don't drive all the way there to be told the tickets are out. I tend to base my decisions off of what the park tells me they will do, which is "You will NOT be able to enter the park before your selected time, however, you may arrive anytime after." I'm not making a 12:30 reservation and showing up at 10 and being told to go somewhere for two hours lol. And my point still stands, if the cards are out by 1 or 1:30, and I have a 12:30 time, that's cutting it pretty close. Thanks for the tip though, wasn't very helpful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Phantom Theater said:

I think I figured out a good way to ensure I get on Orion when I go, but it means I won't buy a pass :( The day tickets have time slots as early as 10:30 on Saturday. The earliest passholder slot is for noon. I guess I'm just going to buy a single day ticket and go Saturday and hope for the best. Sadly, I think this will be the only time I will go this season, since I don't want to buy a single day ticket and then a pass on top of that just to ensure that I will get a ticket to ride Orion this Saturday.

Don't sweat it, 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Are the lights in Flight of Fear’s station shining on the specimens working this year?

Sadly, no, but I'm pretty sure they have high priorities on their list right now. But the station has gotten a little love, they were using more of the pre-recorded script, and they added blue lights around the launch tunnel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimlaheyscar said:

Get whatever reservation is available.  Show up around 10:15 am, park, and go inside the park.  Make your way to Orion.  Get in line or get a card.  Done.  You're making this too hard.  Reservations times don't really mean anything.  Plenty of people have gone in before their slot.

This is not accurate; guests have been asked to return to their car and wait until shortly before their reservation time before entering.

If ticket distribution goes like it did over Opening Weekend, you should be able to enter the park at noon and still get an Orion ticket for later in the afternoon or evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2020 at 12:56 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

This year, we will be lucky to hit half a million guests. Next year, hopefully we can regain most of our attendance, but I think it will be years before we get back to 3.5 million guests.

Another unfortunate reality of all this is that had things went as normal, a strong year in 2020 would have helped further bury that age-old canard of "Kings Island doesn't do well when they build major coasters".

• Like 3

I made a solo trip to the park today. (The rest of my family didn’t feel safe attempting it.) 

My opinion...because I know everyone cares. :P

I give the park credit, I think they have done ABOUT all that is possible to make the park reasonably safe...but in the end, you just can’t fix stupid...or arrogance. (It will be a job to enforce all of the rules if the park REALLY gets busy.) Here are 2 examples I saw today...I think the second one falls into the stupidity category...I’m not sure about the first one...

Example A: I was next in line to enter the tent to have my temperature taken, I glance behind me...and I kid you not, a guy is within a foot of me! :blink: He couldn’t even make it through the “turnstiles” without breaking the rules...he did have a mask on though. (I swear, if I had a nickel for every time I’ve shaken my head at stupidity during my lifetime would have been able to outbid Cedar Fair for the parks back then. :lol:)

Example B: A mother and a daughter were walking down one of the “main drags” without masks on, drinking cups of water. An associate called them over to explain that they had to have their masks on. I felt so bad for the associate, what should have been about a 30 second conversation went on for about 3 minutes. The mom seemed to think that because they were drinking it was a “get out of jail free card”.  (In my hometown, grocery store cashiers are receiving “hazard pay”...maybe the park should consider something like “stupidity pay”. )

I thought most people seemed to be wearing their masks properly...but I wasn’t purposely staring at everyone. Keeping masks on the little kids seemed to be the hardest thing...but it also seemed like parents were trying. I thought that most of the time people were doing a good job at social distancing...but, since the park wasn’t crowded it was easy. I did notice that people bunched up into a normal crowded line to collect their Orion ride tickets though...I just don’t know how many extra associates it would take to stop that from happening. :(

My overall opinion, I wanted to be able to say that I experienced this COVID style Kings Island...and I don’t regret doing it...but, I didn’t think of something in advance that I should have...“this” Kings Island would be lacking one of the main ingredients of why I visit the park...escapism from the real world...unfortunately, it followed me to the park.

I hope the park can make this work...I don’t envy them.

I did pick up quite a few souvenirs...because as @BeeastFarmer said earlier “because you help people when they are down.“ (That, and I love all of the new pins! ;))

Out of everything I bought though, I thought this souvenir summed up a trip to Kings Island in 2020 perfectly! (The idea of getting a caricature now just seemed so ludicrous...something I’d expect to see in a “Naked Gun” or “Airplane” movie. 

69D2CCC9-C234-4316-A355-BC482F771D06.jpeg

• Like 11

We're going to KI next week, and our teens like to go off on their own for most of the day. Usually I give them each a certain amount of food cash for the day, but I guess everything is now card only? A couple of them do not have credit/debit cards and I don't really feel comfortable just giving them each one of mine. Do the food service locations accept pre-paid visas? Don't want them to have to find us every time they want a drink or a snack if we can avoid it. 

1 hour ago, haasdt said:

Do the food service locations accept pre-paid visas?

A pre-paid Visa "gift card" can generally be charged as either credit or debit, just like a debit card for a checking account.  Anywhere that takes Visa cards should accept them no problem (KI included).  As mentioned above, also take a look at the All Day Dining and refillable Souvenir Bottles.

Cash should still be accepted but it is highly discouraged.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 9:20 PM, standbyme said:

I made a solo trip to the park today. (The rest of my family didn’t feel safe attempting it.) 

I give the park credit, I think they have done ABOUT all that is possible to make the park reasonably safe...but in the end, you just can’t fix stupid...or arrogance. (It will be a job to enforce all of the rules if the park REALLY gets busy.) Here are 2 examples I saw today...I think the second one falls into the stupidity category...I’m not sure about the first one...

Example A: I was next in line to enter the tent to have my temperature taken, I glance behind me...and I kid you not, a guy is within a foot of me! :blink: He couldn’t even make it through the “turnstiles” without breaking the rules...he did have a mask on though. (I swear, if I had a nickel for every time I’ve shaken my head at stupidity during my lifetime would have been able to outbid Cedar Fair for the parks back then. :lol:)

Example B: A mother and a daughter were walking down one of the “main drags” without masks on, drinking cups of water. An associate called them over to explain that they had to have their masks on. I felt so bad for the associate, what should have been about a 30 second conversation went on for about 3 minutes. The mom seemed to think that because they were drinking it was a “get out of jail free card”.  (In my hometown, grocery store cashiers are receiving “hazard pay”...maybe the park should consider something like “stupidity pay”. )

I thought most people seemed to be wearing their masks properly...but I wasn’t purposely staring at everyone. Keeping masks on the little kids seemed to be the hardest thing...but it also seemed like parents were trying. I thought that most of the time people were doing a good job at social distancing...but, since the park wasn’t crowded it was easy. I did notice that people bunched up into a normal crowded line to collect their Orion ride tickets though...I just don’t know how many extra associates it would take to stop that from happening. :(

My overall opinion, I wanted to be able to say that I experienced this COVID style Kings Island...and I don’t regret doing it...but, I didn’t think of something in advance that I should have...“this” Kings Island would be lacking one of the main ingredients of why I visit the park...escapism from the real world...unfortunately, it followed me to the park.

I did pick up quite a few souvenirs...because as @BeeastFarmer said earlier “because you help people when they are down.“ (That, and I love all of the new pins! ;))

Out of everything I bought though, I thought this souvenir summed up a trip to Kings Island in 2020 perfectly! (The idea of getting a caricature now just seemed so ludicrous...something I’d expect to see in a “Naked Gun” or “Airplane” movie. 

Woa my dude you look like my uncul but he don't wear hat and you got more hare

• Sad 1

On 7/9/2020 at 9:20 PM, standbyme said:

I feel like people are trying, we all are having to fight how we've been trained for all these years at parks to fill in all available space in queues and such. When you've become accustomed to packing in like sardines, it's a habit that will need broken and we're only human. The fact that most are trying is a good thing.

Like we didn't realize at Dollywood they purposefully spaced for side by side in the queues thinking they had over spaced the stickers. So we were side by side with others who also didn't really realize that was the point if you move exactly sticker to sticker you're perfectly spaced at all sides. Our bad and now we know better and we'll do better our next trip. 
definitely was a good year to be a printing company for sure ;) 

mask control was still way better at the park than I've seen lately at the grocery store. Can ki sell toilet paper and milk LOLOL

On 7/9/2020 at 1:39 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

Are the lights in Flight of Fear’s station shining on the specimens working this year?

Today the specimen lights were operational, a couple other effects in the pre-show were present that weren't working opening week, so they're definitely working on it. Also noticed some small improvements to Adventure Express, so some good signs seem to be present that they're working on effects around the park.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoasterJack said:

Today the specimen lights were operational, a couple other effects in the pre-show were present that weren't working opening week, so they're definitely working on it. Also noticed some small improvements to Adventure Express, so some good signs seem to be present that they're working on effects around the park.

Noticed that on AE as well. Don’t understand why first tunnel can’t get some basic LED flood lights just so you can see what’s in there (I swear I even heard snake hissing in there) but that last lift. Wooof that’s bad. Most of the rock work is now gone from overhead. Lighting is almost nonexistent and soundtrack is pretty much silent. Even some basic projection mapping would go a LONG way in there and maybe eliminate the mechanical animations that barely work anyway (if at all) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

A friend of mine told me that they didn’t check his reservations when he got there. Have they stopped checking reservations already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My gf and I had a miscommunication and she only reserved for herself - not both of us - the other day. My pass came up as a no go. Fortunately I was able to just go on my phone and make a reservation. Not gonna lie, I assumed the reservation thing was all smoke and mirrors too. 

Also, anyone else notice that the number of spots available is no longer in the drop down?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

My gf and I had a miscommunication and she only reserved for herself - not both of us - the other day. My pass came up as a no go. Fortunately I was able to just go on my phone and make a reservation. Not gonna lie, I assumed the reservation thing was all smoke and mirrors too. 

Also, anyone else notice that the number of spots available is no longer in the drop down?

I did.  I also noticed I got in at 11:45 when my reservation was for noon on Saturday (oops).

11 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Noticed that on AE as well. Don’t understand why first tunnel can’t get some basic LED flood lights just so you can see what’s in there (I swear I even heard snake hissing in there) but that last lift. Wooof that’s bad. Most of the rock work is now gone from overhead. Lighting is almost nonexistent and soundtrack is pretty much silent. Even some basic projection mapping would go a LONG way in there and maybe eliminate the mechanical animations that barely work anyway (if at all) 

I agree with maybe some new lighting and some help with the last tunnel, but you've gotta remember to follow the Eleventh Commandment, and adding projections or removing the statutes would definitely violate violate @TombRaiderFTW's 11th commandment :lol:!