Kings Island 2020 Finally Open Thread

RedSummit20

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

My gf and I had a miscommunication and she only reserved for herself - not both of us - the other day. My pass came up as a no go. Fortunately I was able to just go on my phone and make a reservation. Not gonna lie, I assumed the reservation thing was all smoke and mirrors too. 

Also, anyone else notice that the number of spots available is no longer in the drop down?

I caught that as well.  Why could that be one wonders? I have my suspicions...

Had my third visit tonight. Providing this observation as a “heads up” for anyone who is on the fence about coming during COVID.

Pro: I saw more employees and most security guards confronting those not wearing masks and asking them to put them on correctly.

Con: I saw A LOT more guests this visit not wearing masks, removing masks in line, removing masks on rides, leaving their nose uncovered, not wearing a mask at all. (Which is probably why KI staff is more active than one noticed on past visits about confronting those in the midway). Also noticed a lot more masks with the breather port (which I guess protects the wearer, but doesn’t protect everyone else from their exhale... but at least they were probably trying to follow the rules)

I’m not sure if the complacency of passholders is starting to come out now that we’re on week 3... or if the opening to non season pass holders are to blame or why it seems so drastically different. But my first two visits I left feeling confident that the park was safe. Now I’m hesitant to come back for visit #4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Cedar Point is my home park but this year I am much more eager to go Kings Island. Thinking about making the 3 and half hour drive on Monday and leaving Tuesday. Just asking on the weather front I know it will be brutally hot but the rain chances. For those who know the area is it right in likely these rain chances are just part of the heat/humidity and what could come up is going to be isolated and shouldn't last that long. Just want to sure before I make a drive and stay overnight.  I wish I could have went earlier this week but it was good timing for me. Next Mon/Tue though are good days timing wise for me to go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chuck norris said:

Had my third visit tonight. Providing this observation as a “heads up” for anyone who is on the fence about coming during COVID.

Pro: I saw more employees and most security guards confronting those not wearing masks and asking them to put them on correctly.

Con: I saw A LOT more guests this visit not wearing masks, removing masks in line, removing masks on rides, leaving their nose uncovered, not wearing a mask at all. (Which is probably why KI staff is more active than one noticed on past visits about confronting those in the midway). Also noticed a lot more masks with the breather port (which I guess protects the wearer, but doesn’t protect everyone else from their exhale... but at least they were probably trying to follow the rules)

I’m not sure if the complacency of passholders is starting to come out now that we’re on week 3... or if the opening to non season pass holders are to blame or why it seems so drastically different. But my first two visits I left feeling confident that the park was safe. Now I’m hesitant to come back for visit #4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Dollywood this past Thur Fri and Sat. I would say a good 3/4 of people in the ride lines were taking off masks and crowding people. The ride estimates were way off because of that too. The more crowded the park got or the longer the ride line the bigger the issue. More often than not the person behind me was inches away from me and it was quite common to have 2 groups in between the blue dots you were suppose to stand on. One time I slowed down and stopped because of someone in front of me on the midway and this kid just kept on walking and ran right into the back of me. Another time I had 2 people ditch everybody in the line then stop right in front of me. Then at the end of the line 5 more of them snuck in the fastpass lane and ducked under the wood railing and ditched me so a family of 6 in front of me turned into 13. I told the ride op and he actually gave one of them a reride for some reason. One of the kids. You are allowed to take masks off on water and "High Thrill" rides. What exactly is a high thrill ride beyond Lightning Rod was never clear. I don't see any problem with riding rides maskless anyways since they close off every other row anyways. Which leads to another issue. Every coaster except the wing had the back row closed off. Why they didn't skip next to last row and open last is beyond me.

9 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Probably schools are delayed from opening

I don’t think he’s going to delay school opens, he’s already left it up to districts to decide how they’re going to handle reopening. It’s likely a statewide mask mandate or certain counties are going to be put on lockdown.

• Like 1

I suspect it is either something totally unrelated like he took Fran and the grandkids to Cedar Point Yesterday and this morning, thus he couldn't hold his press conference yesterday:P

OR

He expects a County will go into purple today and wanted to delay the press conference to assure the new data is in and people have seen it for a couple of hours before mentioning his plans.

• Haha 1

I drove past the park tonight right after 10:00 PM, and it was sad seeing how empty not only the park was but the entire surrounding area. Usually there are droves of cars coming out of the park and busy streets and restaurants. Every business and restaurant was closed or dead, and it just looked sad. When August rolls around, I would actually be happy with fewer days open but longer hours on the select days they are open. Kings Island has a great nighttime vibe, and it is sad not being able to experience it. When Kings Island originally released their 2020 calendar, I remember people being very upset that they were only going to stay open until 12:00 AM instead of 1:00 AM during Haunt, but now even being open until 10:00 PM seems SO NICE!

• Like 2

Unfortunately for us, unless there are evening hours we won't be in the park. 

I've had passes for years, but the number of days I've been at KI (dry side) during the mornings/afternoons is zero--exceptions being the occasional Soak City day excursion. Heat and I just don't get along too well.

I'm not complaining, just stating the reality of our situation. I know we weren't the only ones who used to enjoy a Friday night "date night" at the park.

Hoping for more normal hours next year. 

17 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Is there no capacity restrictions or its been realized they won't hit those capacity #'s anyway?

Ohio cases are surging at the moment. 

The only change in park policies is no reservations.  That is all I know.

No reservations not so sure about that. Business decision to eliminate a barrier but if you get good weather on any of those 10pm close Fridays or Saturdays they might go well above 10k attendance. Risky business right now IMO, especially if mask/distancing compliance is down, as some in that thread are reporting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimParker85 said:

No reservations not so sure about that. Business decision to eliminate a barrier but if you get good weather on any of those 10pm close Fridays or Saturdays they might go well above 10k attendance. Risky business right now IMO, especially if mask/distancing compliance is down, as some in that thread are reporting. 

After dewine pleads to ohioans to all wear masks as we are going down same path as florida/Texas.  Ki announces no more reservations.....it would be a pr nightmare for a picture to show up with a jammed parking lot and a jammed park.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Pr nightmare with people showing up and being turned away..... 

It's happened at CP before.  Plus it's happened with bad weather days.  I know some people who went to the park only to find it was a washout.  I would expect they would treat over capacity just like a washout.  Blast it on Twitter and social media.  Honestly though I don't see them hitting anywhere near that, especially with the mask restrictions in place. 

• Like 1

I am going to assume this is a calculated gamble by CF. Take the reservations away and try to coax a few more people to the park by removing a small hurdle. Hope that the numbers go up, but not so much that the park reaches their capacity limits. Even if they let in a few more early on carefully. The park has been super empty, though it is kind of hilarious while at the park because some rides I am pretty sure take longer despite having 1/4 of the line due to the cleaning, lower staffing, and reduced seating (I'm looking at your Aerial Chase).

I'll still go to the park, but if I start noticing huge swaths of crowds coming in, I'll probably just leave.