"Disneyland Fans Want Splash Mountain to Ditch Song of the South Characters for Princess and the Frog"

Here's the link:

https://movieweb.com/disneyland-splash-mountain-song-of-the-south-princess-frog/

I'm honestly suprised the attraction's lasted this long with it current theme. Song of the South is arguably the most controversial Disney film ever made, so much so that its not on Disney Plus and its almost impossible to find a copy of anymore. 

Changing the theme wouldn't be a bad thing if I'm being honest. Even though the ride just shows the animal characters and not any of the humans in the movie its still a remnant of the movie nevertheless. Plus The Princess and the Frog is still a younger movie that takes place in a bayou so it would be a seamless transition for a water ride.

• Confused 1

What many don't realize is that most of the animatronics for Splash were previously used in a Tomorrowland attraction-America Sings- which ran from the mid 70s-late 80s.  The ride is not based on SOTS other than using the main characters from the movie in a new story (Brer Rabbit wants to see the world but gets caught up in Brer Fox's trap, finagles his way out of it (Brer Fox throwing him in the briar patch thinking Brer Rabbit will get stuck anyway, but of course he doesn't-the big drop, followed by Brer Rabbit having a new appreciation for his home surroundings) (and the other small animatronics from America Sings,  As for Uncle Remus, Brer Frog is the one you hear on the various spiels, not Uncle Remus.  Given how the company is bleeding cash, I'm certain a retheme of Splash isn't happening anytime soon.  It's still a great (and long! 14 min when things aren't so busy) and iconic ride.  

I agree. I don't see Disney spending the time or money, especially right now, to converting the theme of this attraction. It would be much more intensive than just replacing the animatronic characters. None of the sets, nor really the mountain, as a whole fit with Princess and the Frog. So they would need to essentially gut the entire ride and rebuilt it from scratch, and preferably do some rework of the exterior as well to fit in more with New Orleans setting. This just does not seem feasible, nor likely for an attraction that is well loved. I understand that Song of the South is a controversial film but Splash Mountain as stated has little connection to the movie aside from the attractions main three characters. They didn't include any questionable material from it and a vast majority of people that ride it don't even realize that it is connected to the movie. While I would love to see a Princess and the Frog based attraction, about the only reason for it to go where Splash Mountain is would be it's location next to New Orleans Square to be incorporate into that section.

On 6/10/2020 at 5:35 PM, beastfan11 said:

The theming is so loosely tied to that movie. Nothing about what’s currently there is at all related to anything that could be construed as offensive. I’m not understanding this one. 

Cancel culture at its finest. :rolleyes:  I mean seriously. For the most part, what is being requested is beyond ridiculous. If you find movies, comedians or anything offensive, you simply don't watch or partake. 

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't have a problem with this if I'm being honest. There's more than one Splash Mountain and they differ slightly so its not like the entire ride's forgotten. This isn't the 1st time Disneyland has changed a classic ride to modernize it to current trends: Tower of Terror got rethemed to Guardians of the Galaxy, The Haunted Mansion gets rethemed to The Nightmare before Christmas during the holidays, etc.

I think it would fit in well, especially if they made it a part of the New Orleans Square section. I'm personally not a huge fan of cancel culture either but I'd be fine if they updated the ride to showcase a more modern Disney property. Plus it would give imagineers the opportunity to create some new animatronics. 

https://d23.com/exclusive-walt-disney-imagineerings-bob-weis-discusses-reimagining-splash-mountain-for-tiana-and-her-friends/

Read: "Don't expect wholesale changes, since we have a minimal budget". TOT in DL was only saved from the wrecking ball when Disney decided they could spend some $$$ and totally retheme it.  This will not be that.

5 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I personally don't have a problem with this if I'm being honest. There's more than one Splash Mountain and they differ slightly so its not like the entire ride's forgotten. This isn't the 1st time Disneyland has changed a classic ride to modernize it to current trends: Tower of Terror got rethemed to Guardians of the Galaxy, The Haunted Mansion gets rethemed to The Nightmare before Christmas during the holidays, etc.

I think it would fit in well, especially if they made it a part of the New Orleans Square section. I'm personally not a huge fan of cancel culture either but I'd be fine if they updated the ride to showcase a more modern Disney property. Plus it would give imagineers the opportunity to create some new animatronics. 

https://d23.com/exclusive-walt-disney-imagineerings-bob-weis-discusses-reimagining-splash-mountain-for-tiana-and-her-friends/

I don’t think it’s necessarily that. The fact that they didn’t give a timeline for it seems to point to saving it for when they can afford. The timing initially seemed a bit convenient for it to have been in development for a year or more, but I’m thinking it’s something planned for the future and they went ahead and announced it now due to the petitions and everything going on so people know it’s in the plans. I don’t see them going cheap on something as well loved and major an attraction as Splash Mountain.

I’m just curious to see how it will work at Disney World. In Disneyland it’s right next to New Orleans Square so can fit in there and so boy just change all of Critter Country into a bayou themed area. Maybe they could even change Hungry Bear into Tiana’s restaurant. However, at Disney World, Splash is right in the middle of Frontierland and the bayou definitely doesn’t fit the Western theme of the area 

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

I'm sorry, but it's not hard to see what's next up on their agenda. Mark Twain Riverboat---rethemed. Hall of Presidents...done. By the time this is over the entire Disney company will be re-named if the SJW's have their way.

He’s on to us. Guys, stop leaking the meeting notes. 

• Haha 5

Not many people I know have seen Song of the South. It is FULL of old-south-stereotypes. But the story is primarily about crappy white plantation owners who neglect their son, and a kind black man (and his family) taking him under his wing. I know it's controversial in many ways, but I think it also highlights Walt Disney's genius. If you have not seen it, I encourage you to. You might be surprised. 

35 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Not many people I know have seen Song of the South. It is FULL of old-south-stereotypes. But the story is primarily about crappy white plantation owners who neglect their son, and a kind black man (and his family) taking him under his wing. I know it's controversial in many ways, but I think it also highlights Walt Disney's genius. If you have not seen it, I encourage you to. You might be surprised. 

One has to wonder if your opinion of the characters in the movie is part of why Disney won’t release the movie. I haven’t seen the complete film, kinda hard to get a copy of it but I have seen clips. 

From the clips I have seen, I agree with your opinion. Uncle Remus and his family are good role models; the little boy’s parents are poor role models. I also think that just maybe the film was ahead of its time and was intended to promote unity among the different kinds of people in American society. 

Again, I haven’t seen the whole movie but my wife did see the book it is based upon in a local store for sale about a year ago. 

14 hours ago, RollerNut said:

One has to wonder if your opinion of the characters in the movie is part of why Disney won’t release the movie.

Uh, yeah, that's not the problem with that movie. 

And if this film "highlighted Walt's genius," I don't think a corporation that values its reputation and business would be so quick to ensure that this film is not distributed or acknowledged.

Splash Mountain itself has a bit of peculiar situation tied to much large situations and conversations. Whether you agree with it or not, maybe a few folks here need to "read the room" (or, rather, look at what's going on across the nation and listen to voices they don't normally hear).

You might learn something. 

• Like 2

I think this article highlights why the changes were necessary. No, Splash Mountain (which I haven't ridden in about 30 years) isn't offensive. But, as Matt (the article's author points out), it papers over the offensive roots of the movie. Zip-a-dee-do-dah takes its roots from a racist song. Song of the South presents a rosy picture of slave life (the podcast "You Must Remember This" did a fantastic series on it). The Uncle Remus stories, which gave birth to the characters of Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear and Brer Fox, are controversial because many believe the (white) author was appropriating slave culture. It seems fitting to retheme it to the film featuring Disney's first black princess...and also, probably financially a good move since more kids have likely seen The Princess and the Frog than Song of the South. 

https://screencrush.com/why-splash-mountain-should-be-changed/

• Like 1

Disney will do what is best for the bottom line and shareholders.  If they believe the current climate will accumulate more cash flow in tangible and intangible ways, they will change it.  If not, they won't.  The feelings of what is right and wrong will not motivate any change, but they will use those feelings to bring in more cash.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2020 at 5:35 PM, BeeastFarmer said:

Disney will do what is best for the bottom line and shareholders.  If they believe the current climate will accumulate more cash flow in tangible and intangible ways, they will change it.  If not, they won't.  The feelings of what is right and wrong will not motivate any change, but they will use those feelings to bring in more cash.

This also isn't the 1st time a Disney attraction has been rethemed in favor of other properties: Tower of Terror became Guardians of the Galaxy, they made Pixar Pier, countless Star Wars lands, Avengers campuses are in the works, etc.