New no smoking policy inside the park?

PatchesC

4 minutes ago, PKIDelirium said:

Only smoking area is outside the front gate. The usual ones are probably where the no-mask zones will be. 

I'm wondering if that means going through temp and bag check again. And if it turns out like our Disney experience (guests were aggressively vocal about having to walk anywhere near a designated area to put it politely) it'll feel like we aren't even welcome.

2 hours ago, PatchesC said:

Ummm did they just ban smoking in the park? The icons are gone :wacko:

If true, they better make an announcement of that on their social media accounts, app, etc. so that people know that before coming to the park.

I am sure with everything else, this may deter some smokers from going to the park.  Wouldn't they rather know that now than before going to the park?

One would think that would be part of the "what to expect" pages on their website if true?

If that’s true that smokers will only be able to smoke outside the main gate, then the park should add the new smoking area policy to the FAQs so smokers are aware (and to publish on social media the new smoking policy to get the word out as well).  If the current smoking areas become the new mask rest areas, there will be those that still light up there because they didn’t know the smoking areas had changed.

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

If true, they better make an announcement of that on their social media accounts, app, etc. so that people know that before coming to the park.

I am sure with everything else, this may deter some smokers from going to the park.  Wouldn't they rather know that now than before going to the park?

One would think that would be part of the "what to expect" pages on their website if true?

Their FAQ answer changed on normal page that's always been around, but there has been no mention anywhere else. I'm waiting on a response about having to go back through temp and bag checks if we go out to smoke. 

It doesn't particularly bother me to go outside the park, but not exactly logical to have people going back through all that repeatedly throughout the day.

Screenshot_20200619-040443_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Winterfestguy said:

If that’s true that smokers will only be able to smoke outside the main gate, then the park should add the new smoking area policy to the FAQs so smokers are aware (and to publish on social media the new smoking policy to get the word out as well).  If the current smoking areas become the new mask rest areas, there will be those that still light up there because they didn’t know the smoking areas had changed.

I just looked - they did just that...

image.png

2 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

What if the old smoking areas are now mask break areas? 

This is my opinion, not any confirmation from the park.

If that is the case, or even if it isn't, the park should really start to communicate this change in park policy. 

It shouldn't be buried in the FAQ section of the app/website.  It took the sharp eye of a member of this forum to see designated smoking areas were not on the map.

Disney promoted their no smoking policy back when they did that last year so guests knew what to expect and hopefully minimize surprises and guests getting into altercations over it.

They will be just asking for fighting between guests if the new no smoking policy isn't promoted.  Heck, even with the announcements in the park, people still do not comply.

Since you have to sign away your life making a reservation anyway, they should add an acknowledgment to the reservation that you agree to abide by the no smoking policy or risk removal from the park.  Similar to how you have to acknowledge the no smoking fee at a hotel.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Since you have to sign away your life making a reservation anyway, they should add an acknowledgment to the reservation that you agree to abide by the no smoking policy or risk removal from the park.  Similar to how you have to acknowledge the no smoking fee at a hotel.

That is a really good idea!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I'm not a smoker nor am I an expert on this virus, but it seems counterproductive to enforce social distancing practices and masks if they're going to allow people to smoke when they exhale all the chemicals and potential diseases that were in their mouths; even if they're in a smoking section.

Even more so with vaping, that in many instances is a water vapor aerosol, and water aerosol droplets spread is one of the leading transmission methods of covid, at least this week... 

@PatchesC - I just have to say thank you for being the courteous and responsible smoker! 

No doubt one of the reasons the smoking restrictions have become more restrictive is due to smokers not following the policies of whatever place they frequent.

It sucks people treated you like that at Disney for smoking in the proper locations.

I have been known from time to time when passing a designated smoking area to thank those there for adhering to the policy.  Most appreciate the compliment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bengalsguy23 said:

I’m willing to bet this won’t be properly enforced and people will be walking down the midways with no masks smoking/vaping. 

Id tend to agree. I was told on multiple occasions last year that them removing a guest that was smoking or vaping in the queues wasnt a priority.

4 minutes ago, BBN said:

I'm not even a smoker but it's stupid to not keep the designated smoking areas for the smokers, it basically alienates those people. Are they bad or something? 

I can see the logic of converting some to the mask free zones but all does seem a but much depending on what the reentry will require. IF they plan to have employees monitor the mask free areas it would imply the smoking area would need monitoring as well, not sure how they could require someone to stand in that area for an extended period of time without it ?possibly? being a legal issue to the park. 

Just from the mouse experience: designated area was on the walking path to Epcot World Showcase, cussed at for smoke being in the way and contaminating someone's lungs.

Disney Springs: told what a horrible mother I was for exposing my 10yo daughter to 2nd hand smoke (while I had her stand at the other end of an area instead of beside me) and should have her taken away.

If that's the crap I'll be putting up with security will be called this time around to address it because people went too far and guess they figured the mouse had their back.

• Like 1

i wholeheartedly support this. smoking is not a right, and the inherent no mask / covid risk of being around someone smoking or vaping due to it is completely unneccessary. they should however clearly identify this change and set it somewhere between where you get temp screened and when you enter the park away from people entering.

• Like 3

I smoke on occasion and I do Vape.  I get fed up with other people who dont follow the protocols and go to the designated areas and call them out on it when I see it as well.  I have no problem going out of the park and coming back in.  The majority of people who visit parks are Non Smokers so it only makes sense to ban it from the parks, and it's like 5 minutes at most to walk to the entrance, get your nice fix and walk back in.  Plus I saw this coming last year with the blatant disregard for the previous policy

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, BBN said:

I'm not even a smoker but it's stupid to not keep the designated smoking areas for the smokers, it basically alienates those people. Are they bad or something? 

I do not believe smokers are bad people.  I am a bit biased in that opinion as I was a smoker for some 25 odd years. :P  

The act of smoking in areas that impact others is bad.

However, the designated smoking areas in the park were/are insufficient, at least the ones I am aware off. If one walks by them, you are often hit with the smell.  If you can smell the smoke, you are breathing it in.  

I do hope the park can create an area for smokers that does not impact others but from a practical standpoint I do not see how that can be done anywhere near the front entrance. We shall see.

• Like 1