New no smoking policy inside the park?

PatchesC

48 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I do not believe smokers are bad people.  I am a bit biased in that opinion as I was a smoker for some 25 odd years. :P  

The act of smoking in areas that impact others is bad.

However, the designated smoking areas in the park were/are insufficient, at least the ones I am aware off. If one walks by them, you are often hit with the smell.  If you can smell the smoke, you are breathing it in.  

I do hope the park can create an area for smokers that does not impact others but from a practical standpoint I do not see how that can be done anywhere near the front entrance. We shall see.

The smoker area on your way to Action Zone was a bad spot. Well as a non smoker it was bad. The one where walking from the Kings Island entrance to Action Zone was poorly placed. One has to walk by it and smell it and it just looks bad too. I'm not entirely sure where the other ones were. Might have been one behind the Brewhouse. I think that is why I never used the rear door by the bar when leaving that place. Why not convert the Rivertown Coke Freestyle hut into a smokers area? :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I hate seeing the butts in gardens and ever people tend to toss them. 

Tower Gardens used to look horrible because of that. 

53 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I do hope the park can create an area for smokers that does not impact others but from a practical standpoint I do not see how that can be done anywhere near the front entrance. We shall see.

Yea, I wondering about that. The front gate doesn't seem to be any better.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

The worst-placed smoking area is the one on the side of the Miami River Brewhouse. There's such a nice patio back there, but you have to walk through the smoking area and clouds of toxic chemicals first. Delightful.

That patio during Winterfest with the fires and the amazing panoramic view is my favorite place to be in the park!

30 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

The worst-placed smoking area is the one on the side of the Miami River Brewhouse. There's such a nice patio back there, but you have to walk through the smoking area and clouds of toxic chemicals first. Delightful.

That one actually kind of makes sense. It’s a bar with cornhole and other bar things. People like to smoke when they drink. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bengalsguy23 said:

That one actually kind of makes sense. It’s a bar with cornhole and other bar things. People like to smoke when they drink. 

I'm probably gonna have a drink for once, course I haven't had alcohol in 8 years so better sip lol

4 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

They may be trying to detour smokers from coming to the park to prevent them from complaining about masks.

Interesting because I'm a smoker and didn't refuse to wear a mask to visit. What made you think they assume it's smokers complaining about masks?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Smokers would be stereotyped as not being able to breathe in the heat and wearing a mask.

I could have just as easily said children are less likely be able to follow the guidelines so they shouldn't open the 36' rides. Or that those with obesity may have issues wearing a mask so close the restaurants. It doesn't do any good to stereotype or assume it's being done to prevent certain groups from going.

• Like 3

I don't smoke, I never have. I don't even have friends that smoke. I don't like smoking, and hate the effects it has on people. However, I still think the policy is bad for business. Let me explain.

This does not have the same affect as the no smoking law at restaurants and bars. Patrons to those places can smoke before or after they enter. Kings Island is a place where people spend up to 12 hours at a time. Most smokers do not go 12 hours without a cigarette.

By making it a situation where smoking guests have to leave the park and go through security each time they re-enter, you are creating a deterrence for them to go to the park and also to not stay in the park.

For a smoker it is one more reason to go have lunch at the nearby McDonald's. You can have a cigarette on the way. The rest of the smoker's group/family might go along too and not eat inside the park.

Lastly, if the goal is to keep non-smokers from second-hand smoke, I fail to see how having an area outside the gate will help all that much as people will be exposed to it upon entry. If that is the goal, which I doubt, I think limiting smoking to only within Tower Gardens (former Paramount Story) would suffice.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

I could say that about a lot of things since I bought my 2020 pass and all chain Fast Lane last August and I don't even smoke.

That's my point and only when it came to masks did anyone make a big deal out of it.  I was referring to the article in the paper where people were complaining that when they bought their season pass last year the masks were not a rule and they should be entitled to a refund.  Frankly since they extended everything trough 2021 I believe that was a much better way to do it.  Plus right now anyone who buys a pass has it good through 2021.  My bet is they end up getting new pass holders into the mix. 

People need to remember that it can always be worse.  Right now there are entire states that are requiring masks in public. No exceptions. 

https://masks4all.co/what-states-require-masks/

Delaware, Maine, California, Puerto Rico, District of Columbia (D.C.) have mask requirements for the entire state, everywhere in public. 

3 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

I don't smoke, I never have. I don't even have friends that smoke. I don't like smoking, and hate the effects it has on people. However, I still think the policy is bad for business. Let me explain.

This does not have the same affect the no smoking law at restaurants and bars. Patrons to those places can smoke before or after they enter. Kings Island is a place where people spend up to 12 hours at a time. Most smokers do not go 12 hours without a cigarette.

By making it a situation where smoking guests have to leave the park and go through security each time they re-enter, you are creating a deterrence for them to go to the park and also to not stay in the park.

For a smoker it is one more reason to go have lunch at the nearby McDonald's. You can have a cigarette on the way. The rest of the smoker's group/family might go along too and not eat inside the park.

Lastly, if the goal is to keep non-smokers from second-hand smoke, I fail to see how having an area outside the gate will help all that much as people will be exposed to it upon entry. If that is the goal, which I doubt, I think limiting smoking to only within Tower Gardens (former Paramaount Story) would suffice.

I agree with you as a past smoker (9 years and counting).  I would prefer smoking areas that are not seen from the main causeways.  #1) it kept me from jonesing for one and #2) it keeps it out of the eyes of children.  My wife still smokes and she limits herself to 1 each visit, usually in the middle of our day.  

I used to say I stopped smoking but a friend of mine said never be a quitter.  If I find out I have some other disease that's going to kill me in 6 months anyway, hand the coffin nails over :):)

5 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

This does not have the same affect the no smoking law at restaurants and bars. Patrons to those places can smoke before or after they enter. Kings Island is a place where people spend up to 12 hours at a time. Most smokers do not go 12 hours without a cigarette.

Lastly, if the goal is to keep non-smokers from second-hand smoke, I fail to see how having an area outside the gate will help all that much as people will be exposed to it upon entry. If that is the goal, which I doubt, I think limiting smoking to only within Tower Gardens (former Paramaount Story) would suffice.

It'll largely depend on where they plan to place it, there's some of a gap between security and the turnstiles, but unless they've extended the area I doubt they would be able to distance that many people. It could mean temp checks again (I'm really hoping not). The usual me or husband goes to smoke while the other hangs with the kid, plays games, ride something, ect. would be out because now we don't know if one of us will be stopped from reentry and only 1 cell phone. We'd all be going to the smoking area together to avoid that issue. Then it is a bit of a deterent to go back in after you've already hoofed it to the designated area. 

Most likely place they are going to find people smoking IN the parks just based on previous experiences with bans: bathrooms and Boo Blasters (because it's a dark ride). It didn't stop the ones who broke the rules in the first place. Look up how many complaints there are about people still smoking inside Disney. Hell we had people light up on Pirates of the Caribbean and CMs didn't bat an eye when others said something at deboarding. 

So it's ok to walk around trashed on alcohol in a family park but it's not ok to smoke inside the park in designated areas... That's completely logical, I guess if they sold cigarettes with alcohol it would be ok though since they could profit off it. Whats gonna happen now is people are gonna sneak off in restrooms to smoke causing more of an issue.

Edit: also I thought the whole timed reservation system was to keep the entrance clear? With this new policy good luck on that lmao

Edit #2: Pretty smart also to have ONE single area for smokers. No masks on crowded in one space? Great idea KI Great idea!!!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

As I smoke a cigarette typing this and just being told my Doctor that I have the start of lung disease and to immediately do what I got to stop. Maybe it's a good thing for me not seeing others smoke at KI and maybe it will help others.. Who knows.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

One alternative for smokers is to pick up some nicotine gum or lozenges for the day.  They do sell small packs.  

I've tried a few different things, but my problem is mainly needing things for my hands, anything to edible style is a bad idea for me because neither are meant to be swallowed which I still have a habit of with normal gum. Ironically patches have me horrible side effects :huh: I've got a fidgit cube for flights so about 5 hours then I'll be heading out the gate. 

13 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

So it's ok to walk around trashed on alcohol in a family park but it's not ok to smoke inside the park in designated areas... That's completely logical, I guess if they sold cigarettes with alcohol it would be ok though since they could profit off it. Whats gonna happen now is people are gonna sneak off in restrooms to smoke causing more of an issue.

Edit: also I thought the whole timed reservation system was to keep the entrance clear? With this new policy good luck on that lmao

Edit #2: Pretty smart also to have ONE single area for smokers. No masks on crowded in one space? Great idea KI Great idea!!!:rolleyes:

Actually, I was fine when they didn't sell alcohol in the park as well.  Anything that clouds judgment when around parks is not a good idea.  Most of the deaths that happened at KI were alcohol related.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

As I smoke a cigarette typing this and just being told my Doctor that I have the start of lung disease and to immediately do what I got to stop. Maybe it's a good thing for me not seeing others smoke at KI and maybe it will help others.. Who knows.

To go off topic, I've had 3 panac attacks all resulting in ER visits in the last month, after being put on blood pressure medicine. I'm pretty healthy or at least I thought. Anyway my question is to anyone who has panic attacks, what do you do if anything to make it a smooth day at KI. I've never in my whole life had one, now that I've had 3, last one being a week ago. I want to go, but have a fear that I will be stuck in the middle of the park and it happens. I'm not anxious around people or rides. These have just hit me out of nowhere for no particular reason that I or my Doctor can figure out why.

Sorry to hear about the panic attacks.   I've been around people when they have them.  I hope you can figure out the best way to live with it and get it under control.

• Thanks 1

Just now, robintodd said:

Actually, I was fine when they didn't sell alcohol in the park as well.  Anything that clouds judgment when around parks is not a good idea.  Most of the deaths that happened at KI were alcohol related.

I wish they wouldn't sell it in the park 100% I have seen multiple people acting fools drinking in places they aren't allowed to be in. That's completely different though cause they make profit on it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

I've tried a few different things, but my problem is mainly needing things for my hands, anything to edible style is a bad idea for me because neither are meant to be swallowed which I still have a habit of with normal gum. Ironically patches have me horrible side effects :huh: I've got a fidgit cube for flights so about 5 hours then I'll be heading out the gate. 

I was the same way, it was the physicality of the habit more than the addiction to the nicotine.  What triggered me was when I went to the doctor and the found my blood pressure to be "a little high".  My father had high blood pressure so I was concerned.  My doctor told me that if I stopped smoking I wouldn't have to go on medication for my blood pressure and it worked.  That was what made me finally quit after 3 attempts.  (Also my first grandchild was born and I promised my step-daughter I would stop, haven't had one since).

Good luck and you'll find your trigger.  When you do be warned your sense of smell will be on 11.  I can smell cigarette smoke from 100 feet away.

• Thanks 1

There is a fairly large area outside the front gate that doesn't get used for all that much. Just some tables and benches. You could easily put it there and not impede on traffic. In terms of reentry, I'd say a hand stamp, but that's unsanitary. So I'd suggest a small disposable unique ticket or your season pass.

13 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

To go off topic, I've had 3 panac attacks all resulting in ER visits in the last month, after being put on blood pressure medicine. I'm pretty healthy or at least I thought. Anyway my question is to anyone who has panic attacks, what do you do if anything to make it a smooth day at KI. I've never in my whole life had one, now that I've had 3, last one being a week ago. I want to go, but have a fear that I will be stuck in the middle of the park and it happens. I'm not anxious around people or rides. These have just hit me out of nowhere for no particular reason that I or my Doctor can figure out why.

I've had go to quiter spots when I need to get away. Mine is mainly trigger by too many noises at once for extended periods and being put in unfamiliar situations outside routine, so KI has always been a "find comfort spots to hide" and follow my usual path, and know the park routines. Also skipping extremely long lines unless they had an easy exit in case I'm getting panicked in the queue. It's gotten better than when I first started to visit, but I'll admit the general changes from entry steps to the unknown of how exactly they're going to do the ride spacing has gotten things a little higher, but figure I'll read what I can and just see how they are doing spacing from the exit areas if I can before getting in line. Hopefully it'll calm down once there's more info and familiarity. 

Quite spots for me were: Path off to The Beast, WindSeeker path, back side of Eiffel Tower, little area to Racers entrance, Bat, down by the Petting Zoo, Congo Falls exit, Viking Fury entry area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^My quiet spots include Tower Gardens, International Street near the fountains and the walkway that goes to Action Zone by KI theater.  It is nice to sit down, drink something and listen to the music (thank goodness they have brought back great music!) and people watch.  I'm an introverted extrovert, so I get to have solitude but have people around me to energize me.

• Like 1