New no smoking policy inside the park?

PatchesC

On 6/20/2020 at 1:25 PM, IceePirate said:

Probably keep some in a flask or vodka in a clear water bottle. I wonder what it would be like to ride a coaster drunk lol

Back when I worked in Park Services, we would find beer cans, cheap vodka bottles, etc out in the parking lot, usually not in a trash can.  Most Halloween Haunt nights, I won't call it what we used to, because I got in trouble for it on here, I would find pints of vodka and other things in the toilets, garbage cans, etc.

Well I hope no one catches covid from me walking from our cars as I smoke or while i'm at the front gate entrance and it blows 100 feet with the wind.. Get real

Or stay protected with a proper face mask if you're that worried... Going to a theme park full of people, yet some smokers are scary.. 

33 minutes ago, robt said:

The difference is that your diabetes / obesity has no impact on my experience. Smoking certainly does and with COVID I do not want to be breathing in your air particles from smoking / vaping.

If in theory the park created a smoking patio way off the beaten path would you have a problem with that? I think there's an easy solution somewhere in the middle between smoking areas as they were and the full ban inside the gates.

I personally think they're being particularly unaccommodating to smoking guests. I can imagine a good number of people will just light up in bathrooms, and where no one is looking rather than walk to the exit and back.

Also for those thinking this is a policy due to the pandemic and not a permanent change, the park would have told us that.

27 minutes ago, robt said:

The difference is that your diabetes / obesity has no impact on my experience. Smoking certainly does and with COVID I do not want to be breathing in your air particles from smoking / vaping.

I used to be a smoker. Last year I quit for good. I had terrible cough that didn't go away for 4-5 months. Even though it may not have been related, I never want to go through anything like that again. 

Also, while I enjoyed the act of smoking, I absolutely hated the bitter aftertaste, smell, and the effects it had on my teeth. So the negatives certainly outweighed the positives. 

28 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Has the park made a statement as to why they made the change? Claiming it's to shun smokers seems a bit much. If so, they would ban it wholesale from the park. 

Also, if it was anti-smoking push, because "families and stuff," I doubt they would place the new smoking area at the front gate, where everyone could see. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the park has made an official statement regarding why they made the change. But it could easily have much to do with the pandemic (itself a respiratory virus) and their current mask policies. If so, then in theory this change would be temporary. 

If I had to guess, it's likely going to be a forever thing. Disney did it already, and I think the majority of their customer base saw it as a positive. Lets be real, the number of people that smoke still is dwindling, the number of people that hate smoking is growing. I feel like there is a strong possibility these smaller regional parks likely look to Disney and Universal for social cues like this. When the huge parks continue to maintain attendance, while telling people to go outside to smoke, then the small regional parks are willing to give it a shot. I vape, used to smoke.... I'll walk outside to do so. My typical day at the park is usually about 13 miles of walking, so I can tell you pretty easily that I'm by the front gates at least 4 or 5 times in my visit, and have no issue making those times I'm up front a time to wander out to the smokers patio. I also am one of those people where if it's not convenient for me to go vape, I likely won't. I know for some folks, the smoke or the vape is an hourly occurrence, and I understand 

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the Ahole who will break rules and sneak and smoke where prohibited, I have no problem following the rules. I was just pointing out, who is he or she to say people shouldn't be allowed to smoke in the park. I think the option should be to smokers a offer of a season pass refund if the customer chooses though. 

My wife and I are good with the policy as we are trying to quit, but I think it's singling out people and as the above post says, a few spots off the beaten path would be a little better then having to exit the park

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

I think the option should be to smokers a offer of a season pass refund if the customer chooses though. 

I'd think they'd have the option as no one has used their pass yet, and even so it's just fair business. Something has changed without notice to negatively affect the experience of smokers with season passes. I don't know how many would do that, but they should have the option.

Yes, smoking numbers are dwindling, but around 20% of Ohio adults smoke. That is a lot of customers.

The park is offering:

"New RelaxZone areas throughout the park where face coverings may be removed while also observing social distancing." 

They most likely converted the old smoking areas and a few others places into these "RelaxZones." 

Which very likely could mean this change is temporary. 

11 minutes ago, Joshua said:

The park is offering:

They most likely converted the old smoking areas and a few others places into these "RelaxZones." 

Which very likely could mean this change is temporary. 

That is interesting. If that turns out to be the case, I think that's more reasonable.

I wonder if they didn't announce it as temporary because they want to see how people take it and then re-assess it later.

Just now, KI Guy said:

That is interesting. If that turns out to be the case, I think that's more reasonable.

I wonder if they didn't announce it as temporary, because they want to see how people take it and then re-assess it later.

It's found here:

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/welcoming-you-back/when-youre-in-the-park

Face coverings may only be removed when experiencing water rides, while dining or when inside the RelaxZones, located throughout the park. In the RelaxZone, you may remove your face covering, provided social distancing of 6ft/2m is maintained between your party and other guests

Indy mentioned the possibility earlier in this thread, and also included it in his Newsroom post, which I quoted in my above post. 

Now that's not to say it doesn't become permanent, but since there is no use for a mask-free zone when masks aren't required, there are good odds the smoking areas might return.

• Like 1

My point of view on smokers is negative, I'll admit that. I think those that smoke are weak-minded in general. I get really riled up with littering, I don't understand the rationale that it's ok just to throw your butt anywhere. In addition, the process reeks. The thing is, smokers do not realize how much they stink until they quit and are around smokers again.

So any push for the park to become even more smoke free to me is positive. I wish they would do like our government parks and completely ban it from the premises including parking lot.

28 minutes ago, robt said:

My point of view on smokers is negative, I'll admit that. I think those that smoke are weak-minded in general.

That's a pretty a broad brush.

I doubt you'd say the same about people with other bad habits or addictions. Almost everyone does something they regret.

Banning smoking entirely might minutely improve the experience of non-smokers who aren't in a group with smokers, but KI is a business and a lot of their customers are smokers. KI is a product. They have to cater to a customer. A national park is not a business, and will exist whether people come or not. They can have that policy with no ill-effects.

I do get an occasional whiff of smoke from time to time at KI. I think the best solution would be smoking areas more off the beaten path. I don't know what laws exist for something like this, but if they could legally add lounges where adults over 21 could go inside and smoke that might further fix the problem.

• Like 3

Smoking is a addiction and also a joy to many. People know the risk and some choose to continue. Weak minded? 

Thanks for your judging of a group of people. I don't know anything about you, besides you are good at forming opinions and judging others. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, robt said:

My point of view on smokers is negative, I'll admit that. I think those that smoke are weak-minded in general. I get really riled up with littering, I don't understand the rationale that it's ok just to throw your butt anywhere. In addition, the process reeks. The thing is, smokers do not realize how much they stink until they quit and are around smokers again.

So any push for the park to become even more smoke free to me is positive. I wish they would do like our government parks and completely ban it from the premises including parking lot.

Rather "weak minded" than close minded 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

Smoking is a addiction and also a joy to many. People know the risk and some choose to continue. Weak minded? 

Thanks for your judging of a group of people. I don't know anything about you, besides you are good at forming opinions and judging others. 

Yes smoking is an addiction. And addicts are, in general, weak minded. Really, you can't handle your stress so have to smoke? Thanks for proving my point.

So anyone that does things that are bad for them is weak minded.  This guy must be perfect. I'm thankful to meet Mr Perfect, stay far from my wife though, she'd be all over you.  

I'm sure you'd just push her down though, tell her she's weak minded and that you only stay close to perfect people.                                                       

Have a feeling you're racist as well. I have no proof, but I want to be like Mr perfect and form my own opinions and judge people

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

If no one needs to smoke in the park, then no one needs to eat anything in the park that causes diabetes or obesity

Of all the ridiculous things that I have read on KIC, this one takes the cake (get it?).

Type One Diabetes is an autoimmune disease.  I has nothing to do with eating habits or your weight.

Type Two Diabetes can often show up in health people, or because of medications taken for other comorbidities. 

If one visits the park, one will likely burn more calories than are taken in.

Smoking, on the other hand is 100% preventable.  The lung, throat, tounge, esophagus and other related cancers can be stopped  by not smoking, which also applies to the people who are exposed to second hand smoke.

Unfortunately, nicotine is a highly addictive substance and is very difficult to quit.  It has nothing to do with being weak-minded.  I feel for those who are in the cycle.  Please try and understand the struggles that smokers encounter if you do not smoke.  They may be cutting down, or they may smoke once a day.  Or, they may not be the "bad apple" that fits a stereotype.  Conversely, if you smoke, please try and understand the position of non-smokers.  Be courteous with your exhales and please dispose of your butts properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Of all the ridiculous things that I have read on KIC, this one takes the cake (get it?).

Type One Diabetes is an autoimmune disease.  I has nothing to do with eating habits or your weight.

Type Two Diabetes can often show up in health people, or because of medications taken for other comorbidities. 

If one visits the park, one will likely burn more calories than are taken in.

Smoking, on the other hand is 100% preventable.  The lung, throat, tounge, esophagus and other related cancers can be stopped  by not smoking, which also applies to the people who are exposed to second hand smoke.

Unfortunately, nicotine is a highly addictive substance and is very difficult to quit.  It has nothing to do with being weak-minded.  I feel for those who are in the cycle.  Please try and understand the struggles that smokers encounter if you do not smoke.  They may be cutting down, or they may smoke once a day.  Or, they may not be the "bad apple" that fits a stereotype.  Conversely, if you smoke, please try and understand the position of non-smokers.  Be courteous with your exhales and please dispose of your butts properly.

Right, but not choosing to eat cake and or let's say funnel cakes is 100% preventable as well leading to obesity which leads to more deaths then smoking. You could of taken my little post with a grain of salt, but yet felt the need to kinda insult. To each his own

Though if that was the most ridiculous post on KIC I hope I get something special for it

Point was smokers should be allowed to smoke if they choose, as people can eat all the funnel cakes they choose while visiting. The diabetic that walks by and wished he could have a piece, but knows it will hurt him has to deal with it. Non smokers can walk by and mind themselves 

My whole point is people love to judge others. You could see how quickly the non smokers was on it. People that judge is normal, protest all over the world started from people judging. 

Before and after I eat my funnel cake I will take the walk of shame out the exit to enjoy my delicious smoke

You don't really need to feel for people that are in the cycle.. Just mind your own. Smoking is a choice, I and anyone else choose joy over risk if we choose to smoke

8 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

Right, but not choosing to eat cake and or let's say funnel cakes is 100% preventable as well leading to obesity which leads to more deaths then smoking. You could of taken my little post with a grain of salt, but yet felt the need to kinda insult. To each his own

The difference is you’re not shoving your funnel cake down my throat. Second-hand smoke kills about 41,000 people a year: https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/smoking-facts/health-effects/secondhand-smoke

Having a spot for smokers isn't going to hurt you.

At this point it doesn't really matter as it seems KI has made up it's mind. Just don't judge me based off smoking. That's all 

I'm not blowing it in anyone's face.

8 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Kings Island’s areas were very poorly placed and guests who weren’t smokers still inhaled secondhand smoke walking by or through these areas.

I agree with that. Most was, not all. 

32 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

You don't really need to feel for people that are in the cycle.. Just mind your own. Smoking is a choice, I and anyone else choose joy over risk if we choose to smoke

After caring for many, many people who suffer the damage of smoking, vaping and other forms of tobacco, I would be a lousy human being if I didn't.  I can't tell you how many patients have died with lung cancer or suffered a life of misery with a trach.

9 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

After caring for many, many people who suffer the damage of smoking, vaping and other forms of tobacco, I would be a lousy human being if I didn't.  I can't tell you how many patients have died with lung cancer or suffered a life of misery with a trach.

I understand. I do. I just was told I have the start of lung disease by my doctor last week no joke. I was told it's in my best interest to stop smoking asap. And I feel healthy, I can hang with anyone in 95 degree weather doing construction all day. But, as my Father has said, it's my choice to stop or not. I don't want anyone to feel for me as a smoker. 

And if you see a previous post, I'm ok with smoking being banned in the park, that way I don't have to walk by and see others smoking and want to join.   

People as smokers aren't weak minded, maybe just risk takers? Sometimes you don't feel what's hurting your insides as I'm sure you know based off what you just said you've seen happen.  Some smokers see the world as dangerous regardless and know you can die from about anything at anytime and enjoy it enough to risk a shorter life. And i'm sure lots are weak minded. Lots of people are probably weak minded in general when it comes to certain habits. 

• Like 1