New no smoking policy inside the park?

PatchesC

50 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

The difference is you’re not shoving your funnel cake down my throat. Second-hand smoke kills about 41,000 people a year: https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/smoking-facts/health-effects/secondhand-smoke

Some Googling and you can find many scientific articles suggesting this is simply not true.

Also, I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned that countries across the globe have reported an unexplainable number of smokers who either do not get Covid-19 and/or do not end up in the hospital if they do smoke. I'm not endorsing smoking by any means, but France has even begun nicotine trials to try and figure out why smokers are noticeably less-susceptible to the Covid than those who do not smoke. It doesn't make any sense, but the data is out there, and so are the articles.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200430/smokers-hospitalized-less-often-for-covid-19

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

Have to agree with you there Spooky.  While the front gate might it be the worst place it is pretty high up there on the list. 

At least we can agree and disagree on stuff without an argument lol. That is a beautiful thing, if more people could do that we would have a better world ;)

• Haha 1

The comments are amusing as smoking is so, so, bad. Demons. Heathens. How do we even have smokers in 2020 someone said! But the park itself (that's why we're here) making big, big money shoveling LaRosa's Pizza, Potato Works, and Coca-Cola down throats = perfectly okay. C'mon...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bansheelover said:

Probably too late now, but KI should've had made The Vortex pit the smoker's lounge.  Slide down into the mud, and climb back up.  Would have been a new ride.:D

The water rides would be even more popular 

6 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

The comments are amusing as smoking is so, so, bad. Demons. Heathens. How do we even have smokers in 2020 someone said! But the park itself (that's why we're here) making big, big money shoveling LaRosa's Pizza, Potato Works, and Coca-Cola down throats = perfectly okay. C'mon...

People can decide whether or not they want to eat those foods, but people can’t avoid the toxic chemicals in the smoke blowing in their faces as they walk around the park. I sure hope this change is permanent, Kings Island should have been a non-smoking park years ago.

• Like 2

Personally, it makes logistical sense to have it confined to one spot, outside the park.  I just hope it is not on the main pathways because smoke drifts easily, and the wind blows from the west generally, which will blow it right up to the security stations.  I just hope they are serious about enforcement inside the park.

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

You left out the Blue Ice Cream or is that the 12th Commandment?  :D

• Haha 1

The key word here: externality.

Externalities are any side effect or consequence put on someone not directly involved in the act being partaken in, and can be positive or negative. We all know that there are many other things people do outside of smoking that are harmful to their health. But the effect on the individual him/herself is not what's relevant here. Its the costs of smoking borne onto others...

There is no negative externality of someone eating food, within the context of the park, for example.

As for alcohol, its externality would be the potentially belligerent and/or disorderly behavior that results from it. If handled responsibly, there should be no negative effects inflicted upon others, but that is a risk you inherently take by allowing people to drink within the park.

However, as it pertains to smoking, I'm afraid that there's really no way one can 100% mitigate the negative externalities caused by it. As mentioned before, even when done in the smoking areas, the clouds tend to carry over to the main midways, at least to some extent. And then of course there are those who will skirt the rules entirely and smoke in line next to others who have no choice but to breathe it in.

It will be interesting to see how this new policy goes, and while I'm skeptical as to whether there will be a significant increase in enforcement in the smoking policies, I can only hope that there will be.

--

That having said, by no means am I trying to contribute to any sort of 'anti-smoker rhetoric', or trying to put them down. We all have our vices. I don't hate smokers, just the smoking itself...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Not many do around here.

monty python.jpg

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, robintodd said:

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

That is not a nice thing to say even if  the person you said to is mean!!!!  Dad says turn the cheek when people treat you bad!

4 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

At least one semester of Monty Python should be a foundational requirement of any liberal arts education.

Couldn't agree more:)

4 hours ago, dbackdreams said:

That is not a nice thing to say even if  the person you said to is mean!!!!  Dad says turn the cheek when people treat you bad!

Not trying to be mean.  Watch Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail.  Good stuff.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Are the water rides not going to be open?

RFYLCB and Congo usually open with the park, while WWC typically opens 1-2 hours after park open..whether that will be the case this year remains to be seen.   Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

RFYLCB and Congo usually open with the park, while WWC typically opens 1-2 hours after park open..whether that will be the case this year remains to be seen.   Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.

Congo falls was testing yesterday along with The Bat, Drop Tower and Winderseeker. Oh, so was Xtreme skyflier. 

• Thanks 1