New no smoking policy inside the park?

PatchesC

I smoke, but I think KI has done a really bad job previously in their placement of smoking areas in my opinion. Last year people could eat on the patio outside Reds grill (or whatever it's called now), but they put the smoking section adjacent to the patio. That would ruin MY meal on the patio---can't imagine how people who don't smoke felt. I enjoy smoking by the pond next to Slingshot, but it's better served as a perfect place for families to eat outside instead. Right outside Festhaus---whose genius idea was that? And now they're putting everyone in a herd outside the front gate...excellent. There are multiple places they could send us that would be convenient enough, but slightly out of the way and not on full display aka better for everyone. 

• Like 2

Just now, King Ding Dong said:

They could cattle pen a fairly large section of Timberwolf for smokers.  Has seats and plenty of room for distancing.  Not exactly centrally located but would eliminate the entrance and exit hassle.  

Now that Vortex is gone they could do something there...out of the way. Around the big brown box there's space. I know smoking sections are not their priority, I just find it weird they put them precisely where lots of non-smokers go. I want multiple smoking spaces just like you want your Freestyle (lol), but I "get it", too. I just think they could do better for all of us.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

They could cattle pen a fairly large section of Timberwolf for smokers.  Has seats and plenty of room for distancing.  Not exactly centrally located but would eliminate the entrance and exit hassle.  

That's honestly a good idea.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, spooky21 said:

I wish they wouldn't sell it in the park 100% I have seen multiple people acting fools drinking in places they aren't allowed to be in. That's completely different though cause they make profit on it.

I love a ice cold draft beer on a hot day in the park. I usually limit myself to 2 per day because its $9 and some change. I don't understand how some people can afford to spend enough money to get trashed in the park.

4 hours ago, robintodd said:

Actually, I was fine when they didn't sell alcohol in the park as well.  Anything that clouds judgment when around parks is not a good idea.  Most of the deaths that happened at KI were alcohol related.

Has that actually happened or is that just urban legends? I know some idiot got killed going in off limits area under Raptor at Cedar Point.

2 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I love a ice cold draft beer on a hot day in the park. I usually limit myself to 2 per day because its $9 and some change. I don't understand how some people can afford to spend enough money to get trashed in the park.

Not how I would spend $50-$100.  I suspect in many of those cases there is some priming going in the parking lot.  Personally have never seen anyone at KI or CP I thought was intoxicated but I am sure it happens.

• Like 1

My feeling is that if your that scared of second hand smoke and catching COVID then don’t go to an amusement park during a pandemic. I don’t smoke but I also don’t believe you should punish them for doing it in an outdoor space or putting said space inconveniently outside the park for a shamming show to ensue. There will be enough shamming in the park every time someone sneezes, coughs, farts, removes mask in a non designated area or excited uncontrollable self or children get too close to other people. 

I’m sure more harmful pollutants are released in the air when visiting the park by the massive power plant that powers all your favorite rides than Joe and Jane enjoying a cigarette that everyone likes to point the finger at.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Has that actually happened or is that just urban legends? I know some idiot got killed going in off limits area under Raptor at Cedar Point.

As far as the deaths go There's "Tower Johnny" 

Also on Wednesday, May 18, William Dunn, the investigator from the Warren County Sheriff's Office received the autopsy and lab results. While no drugs were in John's system at the time of his death, he did have a blood-alcohol level of 0.21%, which is over twice the then-legal drunk driving limit. At the time, Dunn refused to release the autopsy report to the press.

http://kingsislandghosts.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-truth-behind-tower-johnny.html#:~:text=A high schooler%2C "Tower Johnny,bare bones remain the same.

and also Candy Taylor

Just after this at the back of the park, Ms. Taylor, who was drunk, boarded Flight Commander at approximately 9:45pm. She rode by herself which later was determined to be the cause of her death. As the ride proceeded, she passed out (her Blood Alchohol level was 3.0. ) while flipping the ride upside down. Since her body was limp, she slid to the side towards the empty seat next to her and out of the over-the-shoulder restraint and lap bar. She fell 60 feet to the concrete below in front of eye-witnesses who were horrified. A design flaw in the ride was blamed. The ride was closed the rest of the 1991 season, but re-opened in 1992.

1 hour ago, robintodd said:

As far as the deaths go There's "Tower Johnny" 

Also on Wednesday, May 18, William Dunn, the investigator from the Warren County Sheriff's Office received the autopsy and lab results. While no drugs were in John's system at the time of his death, he did have a blood-alcohol level of 0.21%, which is over twice the then-legal drunk driving limit. At the time, Dunn refused to release the autopsy report to the press.

http://kingsislandghosts.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-truth-behind-tower-johnny.html#:~:text=A high schooler%2C "Tower Johnny,bare bones remain the same.

and also Candy Taylor

Just after this at the back of the park, Ms. Taylor, who was drunk, boarded Flight Commander at approximately 9:45pm. She rode by herself which later was determined to be the cause of her death. As the ride proceeded, she passed out (her Blood Alchohol level was 3.0. ) while flipping the ride upside down. Since her body was limp, she slid to the side towards the empty seat next to her and out of the over-the-shoulder restraint and lap bar. She fell 60 feet to the concrete below in front of eye-witnesses who were horrified. A design flaw in the ride was blamed. The ride was closed the rest of the 1991 season, but re-opened in 1992.

Wait I forget ppl die there.  The ghostguy wrote bog about it. Sas

12 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Not how I would spend $50-$100.  I suspect in many of those cases there is some priming going in the parking lot.  Personally have never seen anyone at KI or CP I thought was intoxicated but I am sure it happens.

Probably keep some in a flask or vodka in a clear water bottle. I wonder what it would be like to ride a coaster drunk lol

1 hour ago, IceePirate said:

Probably keep some in a flask or vodka in a clear water bottle. I wonder what it would be like to ride a coaster drunk lol

I was at Coasterstock early in the morning day one last year. My blood sugar dropped with no warning. It does this sometimes and I think my lack of breakfast that morning caused it. I can usually ride anything and over and over. I attempted to ride 2 coasters like that and after almost throwing up on The Bat I decided that was enough until the food stands opened up at 10am. Riding drunk can't be much better.

18 hours ago, IceePirate said:

A lot of it tastes good, and some people like the effect it has on their body. You'll understand when you get older and try some

No! That stuff bad and I want only water.  My cousin die when he get get killed by drunk. Never ever. 

21 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

Hey, I like the Smokies.  We just hiked there a couple of weeks ago :) 

You know I mean cigretes lol

• Like 1

Without those designated smoking areas people are going to smoke all around the park.  It already happens outside of designated areas as it is.  I highly doubt this rule will enforced effectively.  Forcing people to leave not only the park, but the entire security check point is silly.  And it will only lead to more people breaking that rule. Non smokers and their children may now be subjected to even more 2nd hand smoke than before, assuming they didn't enter or get very close to those smoking areas to begin with.  Most of the smoking areas at KI have been poorly placed.  Adding a few smoking sections away from high traffic areas throughout the park would be a lot better than this, for everyone.

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Without those designated smoking areas people are going to smoke all around the park.  It already happens outside of designated areas as it is.  I highly doubt this rule will enforced effectively.  Forcing people to leave not only the park, but the entire security check point is silly.  And it will only lead to more people breaking that rule. Non smokers and their children may now be subjected to even more 2nd hand smoke than before, assuming they didn't enter or get very close to those smoking areas to begin with.  Most of the smoking areas at KI have been poorly placed.  Adding a few smoking sections away from high traffic areas throughout the park would be a lot better than this, for everyone.

I tend to agree with this. I don't think that people will adhere to the new smoking rules, and likely will get belligerent over being told to stop. I'm one of those that could go through my entire life with zero conflict and be a happy human, so I'm not usually one to try to direct people to do anything. Not my circus, not my monkeys. I know I'm not the norm when it comes to such things, so I can see this turning real sour real fast.... 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, BBN said:

I'm not even a smoker but it's stupid to not keep the designated smoking areas for the smokers, it basically alienates those people. Are they bad or something? 

Smokers aren't bad people.  But smoking itself is incredibly bad.  I'm glad they're changing this policy.  How we still have people smoking in 2020 is beside me.  Mindboggling.

• Like 4

I'm not a smoker, but this ****es me off because like above only super nice rule followers will actually go there. The rest are going to say f it and do it wherever they please. With the area inside me at least would put in minimum effort but now ki is asking extra effort and it isn't really a good solution. I can avoid smokers areas but not if they are doing it in line etc. though at least the 6ft spacing will be a plus. 

i think there are many useable spaces that could be off the path. Like the back space behind the WindSeeker restrooms,  the old tomb raider queue space, if there are no picnics could use that area,  could use part of the pathway to Timberwolf, etc there lots of easily manageable spaces to put them and still have mask free zones etc.

1 hour ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

I'm not a smoker, but this ****es me off because like above only super nice rule followers will actually go there. The rest are going to say f it and do it wherever they please. With the area inside me at least would put in minimum effort but now ki is asking extra effort and it isn't really a good solution. I can avoid smokers areas but not if they are doing it in line etc. though at least the 6ft spacing will be a plus. 

i think there are many useable spaces that could be off the path. Like the back space behind the WindSeeker restrooms,  the old tomb raider queue space, if there are no picnics could use that area,  could use part of the pathway to Timberwolf, etc there lots of easily manageable spaces to put them and still have mask free zones etc.

I get that, but at the same time, with all of the COVID stuff going on, I have a feeling Security will be more "out and about" and get rid of the people who don't follow their rules.  At least I hope so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

They have an area.  It's outside the front gate. 

If people are smoking in line, call security.  

I like that CF is doing this move.  No one needs to smoke in the park.

It an outdoor environment it never bothers me. I was ok with the restaurant ban because most places poor circulation made it unpleasant to eat and or work in if you are a non smoker. 

I don't choose to smoke but i don't judge those who do or try to tell them they can't have places inside an outdoor venue to do it at. They pay as much to be there as I do.  

Security hasn't stopped line smokers before don't know if they be stricter now. And unless they are under a camera it's always a he said she said kinda thing.

9 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

If no one needs to smoke in the park, then no one needs to eat anything in the park that causes diabetes or obesity

The difference is that your diabetes / obesity has no impact on my experience. Smoking certainly does and with COVID I do not want to be breathing in your air particles from smoking / vaping.

• Like 4

Has the park made a statement as to why they made the change? Claiming it's to shun smokers seems a bit much. If so, they would ban it wholesale from the park. 

Also, if it was anti-smoking push, because "families and stuff," I doubt they would place the new smoking area at the front gate, where everyone could see. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the park has made an official statement regarding why they made the change. But it could easily have much to do with the pandemic (itself a respiratory virus) and their current mask policies. If so, then in theory this change would be temporary. 

• Like 2