Ride Wait Times 2020 Season

IndyGuy4KI

We were at the park today -- came thru gate at 1050, my 14yr old son and I bolted to grab Orion passes while my wife and 11yr old son went to wait for Mystic.     

Got my 11-12pm window pass for Orion, and thought we'd go ride Mystic first with the others before coming back to make our window -- and we managed two rides on Mystic, two rides on Diamondback, *and* got back to Orion at 1145 for a walkon to row 2.

( Also, FWIW:   the 11 yr old has decided he has 'graduated' from Flying Ace Aerial Chase, and is now Team Banshee.    He plans to write a farewell letter to the Flying Ace ride ops. )

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimParker85 said:

Worlds of Fun and Dorney down to 4 day weeks and HersheyPark, with it's brand new coaster, is cutting 3 hours from its operating day. We just got back from 3 days in that area with 2 at Hershey and 1 at Great Adventure and it was shockingly slow at Hershey. They had a lot of small attractions closed in addition to Storm Runner which is down for the year. We walked on Candymonium 8 times out of our 10 rides over 2 days. I could see Kings Island dropping days as the other CF parks have. Sad. It's a dangerous time for all of us, but if 2021 goes like 2020 it's going to challenge the very existence of a lot of parks, not just small ones either. 

The virus has been more "real" in that area.  Places like Indiana think of it as a hoax and a political stunt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

The virus has been more "real" in that area.  Places like Indiana think of it as a hoax and a political stunt.

So did Texas. And now they're an absolute mess. Indiana will be there soon enough.

Anyway, stopped by the park today with the family for a few hours this evening. It was glorious. Entered the parking lot around 3:30. Rode Invertigo, Banshee, Adventure Express, Dodgems (2x), Monster, Scrambler, Orion, Flight of Fear, Stunt Coaster, River Rapids, bought some tokens for the kids to soak other riders, and Mystic Timbers.

Longest wait was Mystic Timbers at 20 minutes.

Side note, had a very bizarre mask incident. We're sitting in the front row of Banshee, literally just sat in my seat. As I'm pulling down my restraint a big gust of wind comes and POOF there goes my mask! Ride op comes by I alert her I lost my mask and she says she'll get me another one as mine was nowhere to be seen and locks me in. But they're out of masks on the platform. And they send the train on it's way. Uh... mmmmmkay. Pull back into the station and they had one waiting for me.

So going 90 MPH, being twisted around on carnie rides, whipping through inversions? No problem. Random gust of wind? Bye bye mask!

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

As it currently stands, if you have all-season Fast Lane do you need a voucher for Orion? Or do you just get in line and hop on? And repeat, if you want?

No access pass required. Just walk on as much as you’d like. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 9:02 PM, bjcolglazier said:

As it currently stands, if you have all-season Fast Lane do you need a voucher for Orion? Or do you just get in line and hop on? And repeat, if you want?

I walked on Orion with FL six times today. So, yes rinse and repeat, lol.

• Like 1

I went ahead and bought the all-season last night for our crew after hearing this. We haven't gone yet this year, and it's probably going to be a couple more weeks, but so looking forward to it. As we don't have to renew our season passes for 2021, it made the price for FL $100 cheaper (kinda) for everybody considering it applies to next year as well so that helped. And I hope it helps the park throwing some stimulus $'s their way. We live far away so we're not going to be abusing Fast Lane as we don't get there enough to do so. But it'll be great when we do.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I went ahead and bought the all-season last night for our crew after hearing this. We haven't gone yet this year, and it's probably going to be a couple more weeks, but so looking forward to it. As we don't have to renew our season passes for 2021, it made the price for FL $100 cheaper (kinda) for everybody considering it applies to next year as well so that helped. And I hope it helps the park throwing some stimulus $'s their way. We live far away so we're not going to be abusing Fast Lane as we don't get there enough to do so. But it'll be great when we do.

Nervously, I bought the all-season Fast Lane last September. Oof, then C-19 took over and I regretted the purchase. Following my second visit to Kings Island, I'm now glad I took the plunge. 

• Like 2

We went for the first time on Thursday.  Wish they would change times to 1-10 instead of 11-7.  If there is any time of the day that is bearable to wear masks outdoors it was at 7:05 as we were walking out.

As for the climbing infection rates... Infections aren't happening largely at outdoor venues, it's mostly from tight indoor spaces that feature lots of recirculated air.  A doctor acquaintance of mine said that most agree that if we were doing unlimited testing from February-April, there were likely days that there would have been in excess of 150,000 daily cases tallied.  

I think ki is safe.  We'll be back this week.  Just be smart, protect the vulnerable, and live life.  I know someone that was in excellent health, a certified germophobe, wore a mask since March, stayed away from crowds, and lived as sterile as he could have been. Was killed in an auto accident late June.  We're not guaranteed tomorrow; don't live stupidly, but live life and not cowered into a corner.  I mean, let's be honest, when ever again will we see lines for a new roller coaster be near walk on. Reserve your spot and enjoy the park!

7 hours ago, Outdoor Man said:

We went for the first time on Thursday.  Wish they would change times to 1-10 instead of 11-7.  If there is any time of the day that is bearable to wear masks outdoors it was at 7:05 as we were walking out.

As for the climbing infection rates... Infections aren't happening largely at outdoor venues, it's mostly from tight indoor spaces that feature lots of recirculated air.  A doctor acquaintance of mine said that most agree that if we were doing unlimited testing from February-April, there were likely days that there would have been in excess of 150,000 daily cases tallied.  

I think ki is safe.  We'll be back this week.  Just be smart, protect the vulnerable, and live life.  I know someone that was in excellent health, a certified germophobe, wore a mask since March, stayed away from crowds, and lived as sterile as he could have been. Was killed in an auto accident late June.  We're not guaranteed tomorrow; don't live stupidly, but live life and not cowered into a corner.  I mean, let's be honest, when ever again will we see lines for a new roller coaster be near walk on. Reserve your spot and enjoy the park!

I totally agree with the time. Even if they CLOSED Monday and Tuesday, had Weds, Thurs and Sunday be 10-6 and Fri and Sat be 10-10  It would give more cool time in the AM and PM. They would still cut out a full shift of front facing payroll and have 2 days to clean, do projects and push the attendance into less, fuller days. 

7 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

I totally agree with the time. Even if they CLOSED Monday and Tuesday, had Weds, Thurs and Sunday be 10-6 and Fri and Sat be 10-10  It would give more cool time in the AM and PM. They would still cut out a full shift of front facing payroll and have 2 days to clean, do projects and push the attendance into less, fuller days. 

I don't see 10-10 being possible.  They just have enough employees for 1 shift let alone 2.  Noon to 8 would be a better compromise especially once the clocks change back and it get's dark earlier.  May even see a shift to 2 - 10 once Haunt starts.  The employment department has done a fantastic job at KI.  CP is having a problem getting employees since there are no exchange students working and they only have half the area to get local employees from because of being on the lake.  

32 minutes ago, robintodd said:

I don't see 10-10 being possible.  They just have enough employees for 1 shift let alone 2.  Noon to 8 would be a better compromise especially once the clocks change back and it get's dark earlier.  May even see a shift to 2 - 10 once Haunt starts.  The employment department has done a fantastic job at KI.  CP is having a problem getting employees since there are no exchange students working and they only have half the area to get local employees from because of being on the lake.  

All good compromises. My thought was by dropping two days, you really aren’t adding anything, just shifting those hours onto your two longer days. I’m sure things will shift and the last thing they really need is all of us trying to tell them how to run things, but it’s fun to theorize LOL. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I hear the park is having power problems. Is this true? My shift starts at 3:45. 

Hey man it's been a while! Haven't been on here in a good bit, good to see familiar faces!

I don't know what the issue is specifically but I'm hearing that Diamondback, Orion, Mystic Timbers, and The Beast are all down, so there's something going on.

So it's my first day at Kings Island this year. Got here at 10:30am. It's 12:06 and Orion, Diamondback, Mystic, and Beast are all still not running. I'm not happy and may leave soon if this doesn't change. If they are going to run a park with most of the best rides closed including the new one then why even bother opening. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

So it's my first day at Kings Island this year. Got here at 10:30am. It's 12:06 and Orion, Diamondback, Mystic, and Beast are all still not running. I'm not happy and may leave soon if this doesn't change. If they are going to run a park with most of the best rides closed including the new one then why even bother opening. 

Any indication of what the problem is? comment 2 above yours suggests there could be power issues, but according to people at the park they've seen the rides cycling they just aren't letting people on.

1 minute ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Any indication of what the problem is? comment 2 above yours suggests there could be power issues, but according to people at the park they've seen the rides cycling they just aren't letting people on.

I swear I saw Orion cycle once but don't take my word for it. Staff is saying electrical and I don't buy it. She even said "it's a bad day to be in the park."  Like I can predict whether it's gonna be a bad day to visit the park based on anything but weather before I drive almost 2 hours. Comments like that just make things worse.

1 minute ago, SnakePlissken said:

I swear I saw Orion cycle once but don't take my word for it. Staff is saying electrical and I don't buy it. She even said "it's a bad day to be in the park."  Like I can predict whether it's gonna be a bad day to visit the park based on anything but weather before I drive almost 2 hours. Comments like that just make things worse.

Oh man I'm sorry...I'd be so upset if I drove 2 hours to get there and it just happened to be a day like this...I hope things open up so it'll end up being worth it.

1 minute ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Orion has had a train stuck on the lift hill for the past 30 minutes.  Not sure if there are passengers aboard.  Everything in Action Zone is running.

Just so you know, it might be best to not post that Orion is stuck on the hill since that's when the media will start calling the park. 

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic