Ride Wait Times 2020 Season

IndyGuy4KI

As of WED even if not busy- they are only opening Orion to non time ticket holders from 6-7.  Makes it hard to ride if you go after work.  We got there at 5 and there was no line and only time card holders could enter. kinda disappointing taking that the crowds were not there.  Sounds like from hearing the employee that they were just made to  start doing that and had to keep it that way.   MT and Diamondback both were about 15/20 mins.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

As of WED even if not busy- they are only opening Orion to non time ticket holders from 6-7.  Makes it hard to ride if you go after work.  We got there at 5 and there was no line and only time card holders could enter. kinda disappointing taking that the crowds were not there.  Sounds like from hearing the employee that they were just made to  start doing that and had to keep it that way.   MT and Diamondback both were about 15/20 mins.  

Managing the line and keeping it small prevents it from becoming a 4 hour line. What they are doing is positive in every way. Not being able to ride with a couple hour park investment is a small price to pay, if it was a 4 hour line you wouldn't be riding either. At least this way you have a chance to catch it from 6-7.  No one wants to spend half their day at the park in line for orion. 

14 minutes ago, NightlyBeast said:

Managing the line and keeping it small prevents it from becoming a 4 hour line. What they are doing is positive in every way. Not being able to ride with a couple hour park investment is a small price to pay, if it was a 4 hour line you wouldn't be riding either. At least this way you have a chance to catch it from 6-7.  No one wants to spend half their day at the park in line for orion. 

funny cause non covid times you'd be doing exactly that... Hence why queues are built so long and big at first. opening of SOB and Flight of Fear  totally spent half the day waiting to ride. so not sure why you think throttling it down to nothing when the crowds are to low those last two hours to even have a 4 hr line is a poor me situation.  But its no skin off my back i have some covid pounds to shed to ride comfortably anyways.  I was just putting it out  there the new process so that others can plan their lucky 2 hr stent in the park as you put it. 

• Like 1

Orion is doing boarding passes today.  They are in 30 minute intervals now.  Wonder if they are trying to cut down on the number of people waiting for their time.

Put a wrench in our showing up at the end of our time and having a walk on.  We had 2-230.  Showed up at 220 and waited 20 minutes.  Still not bad though.

• Like 1

Here tonight 7-28.. walked in at 6:15 and both Diamondback and Mystic Timbers were 30 minutes each..  and both were only running two trains and I didn't even see the third train in either shed..  talk about some slow ass loading..  I had hoped to get a ride on each and then head over to Orion but we're only able to get one on Diamondback and one on Mystic Timbers..   has it been that way all month?.. edit .. talked to ride op said 3rd DB train is back with bm and 3rd mystic train is in ki shop

Edited by darby427

1 hour ago, darby427 said:

Here tonight 7-28.. walked in at 6:15 and both Diamondback and Mystic Timbers were 30 minutes each..  and both were only running two trains and I didn't even see the third train in either shed..  talk about some slow ass loading..  I had hoped to get a ride on each and then head over to Orion but we're only able to get one on Diamondback and one on Mystic Timbers..   has it been that way all month?.. edit .. talked to ride op said 3rd DB train is back with bm and 3rd mystic train is in ki shop

I doubt that Kings Island sent the third Diamondback train back to B&M. It is probably also in maintenance along with the third Mystic Timbers train and the third Banshee train.

I would imagine it would cost substantially less to bring an engineer or two out to KI to consult vs. the roundtrip freight cost on a roller coaster train.  PTC is in reasonable enough driving distance that KI and CP can send trains there on trucks for rehab, but Switzerland is a bit far. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darby427 said:

It wouldn't be so slow if they didn't do the wouldn't release row by row when you get off. It's unnecessary. People naturally take varying times getting up and out of the restraints therefore not clogging the exit queue.   Even in normal times it never felt bogged down getting off a coaster. 

I'll take it over being closed but it's one of the stand out slow issues to me. 

• Like 1

I would imagine it would cost substantially less to bring an engineer or two out to KI to consult vs. the roundtrip freight cost on a roller coaster train.  PTC is in reasonable enough driving distance that KI and CP can send trains there on trucks for rehab, but Switzerland is a bit far.
KI doesn't and their PTCs out for rehab, KI does it themselves, CP on the other hand does, one of the reasons for the delayed opening of Blue Streak.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I would not be surprised if differed maintenance on the 3rd train for these rides was more of a cost saving measure than anything else. I have no knowledge about how much it costs to get a train ready for the season, but I imagine Kings Island, like all parks right now, is trying to cut costs wherever possible to make sure they survive the current situation.

22 minutes ago, PKIVortex said:

KI doesn't and their PTCs out for rehab, KI does it themselves, CP on the other hand does, one of the reasons for the delayed opening of Blue Streak.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sorry, didn't mean that KI sends their trains to PTC, just that it's close enough to be financially feasible unlike sending a B&M train back to Switzerland. :)

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 9:49 PM, jsus said:

Sorry, didn't mean that KI sends their trains to PTC, just that it's close enough to be financially feasible unlike sending a B&M train back to Switzerland. :)

Fairly certain B&M has a US train manufacturing shop. Would make sense since they do so much work here. They manufacture the track at Clermont Steel after all.

I was there today from 11-3. The park was completely empty. I only waited 25 minutes to ride Orion. I spent the rest of the time with my kids not waiting on any lines at Planet Snoopy. It was sad. Awesome, because I hate lines, but sad I know they are losing lots of money. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, AnyPancakes said:

I was there today from 11-3. The park was completely empty. I only waited 25 minutes to ride Orion. I spent the rest of the time with my kids not waiting on any lines at Planet Snoopy. It was sad. Awesome, because I hate lines, but sad I know they are losing lots of money. 

I think the rain threat didn’t help. The “start” tine for storms just kept getting later and later. Earlier in the week it looked like today would be a washout. We even went yesterday instead of tonight because of it. 

I’m here today (August 2nd) and the wait lines are borderline insanity. A lot of the more popular rides (Invertigo, Banshee, Etc.) are 40-45 min and Mystic Timbers is a 75 min wait. Haven’t checked Orion yet, but I’d assume it’s in line between those wait times. 

• Like 3

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic