Ride Wait Times 2020 Season

IndyGuy4KI

Please use this thread to update wait times for the 2020 season.

Please remember a ride going down is normal and is okay to report, but please don't post "Riders are stuck on the lift hill of DB." A vague statement like that is not helpful and that is when the media starts calling the park.

We can not wait to get back to our beloved park for the 2020 season. This has been one of the most interesting offseasons ever. We look forward to seeing everyone at the park soon! We will tentatively plan for a picture on opening day at 2:00 PM by Orion depending on how the reservations work out.

KIC Admin

• Like 3

How is a statement like that vague?  “Diamondback is down right now” seems much more vague that “Riders are stuck on the lift hill of DB”.  If riders are stuck on the lift hill clearly the ride is “down” in that no more trains are being dispatched, but it actually provides some explanation for why the ride is down.  

• Haha 1

I think what IndyGuy getting at is don't make statements that the casual (ie. GP or Media) person might interpret as a "dangererous situation" when it in vast likelihood it is not.

Therefore, instead of saying "riders are stuck on lift hill", it'd be more wise to phrase it as "train has stopped on the lift". The latter at least removes person-hood from the situation (and therefore, the connotation of there being "impending danger").

That having said, for good measure it'd probably be wisest to just not try to describe why its down so the wrong person doesn't misread/misinterpret what's going on and potentially twist it into something its not. Just my 2 cents...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because we want more details given on a post like that. When vague info like that gets posted with no more details and followup, it gets picked up by the media. When they start calling the park, 99% of the time maintenance has already got it running again.

A little background:

The picture of Malem and I that @silver2005has of us moderating while trying to load on the carousel is us fixing a post saying "Invertigo is stuck at the top of the first lift with riders." Luckily we got it taken care of before the carousel cycle started.

Invertigo was doing its job by stopping for a safety issue and they were "stuck" less than 5 minutes. Because a vague statement was made, the media assumed there was a major issue with a ride, people were stuck, and started calling the park for more info.

• Like 3

Just now, King Ding Dong said:

Perhaps if the park was more forthcoming with those details it wouldn’t be such an issue.  :lol:

But that would not generate clicks.  You know more folks are going to click on a story that says that Orion is stuck on the lift hill, stranding rider, that a statement of "Our new ride experienced a technical delay caused by a sensor that tripped because a guest threw their bubblegum as the train ascended."  

It came on my FB memories a few days ago.  Diamondback was stopped on the lift for 15 minutes and a Lexington overdramatic news station ran a story about it, based on cell phone footage someone had sent them (probably worked there or knew someone who did).  They reported that riders were stranded and had to be rescued from extreme heights.  The train was just past the wheels, so the last car was probably still flat.  No less than 20 people posted on my wall, making sure I was ok or not dead.

We dont have to know every little detail of what goes on, but our social media stars and over zealous regular media want the attention/clicks/money.

I took a picture last year of Diamondback stuck on the lift hill and posted it and I think this post was directed at me. Editing this to say if the Diamondback comment was on the 2019 thread I didn't see it. I'm sure once a thread gets several pages long people don't click on every page and miss the original comment made.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

I think you just proved my point.  If the park was forthcoming the truth is rather boring, by not being forthcoming it leads to speculation and sensationalism.  

What we really need---no, deserve---is a 24/7 feed from the park on what is going wrong everywhere in the park.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I took a picture last year of Diamondback stuck on the lift hill and posted it and I think this post was directed at me. Guess we can't post anything without stepping on eggshells and making the mods mad. How dare we do something Kings Island doesn't like.... God forbid someone there has to pick up the phone and explain something.
The quote about DB stuck on the lift hill was in the 2019 wait time forum too, relax.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

What we really need---no, deserve---is a 24/7 feed from the park on what is going wrong everywhere in the park.

Considering the webcam debacle(s), could you imagine what it would be like if that had downtime? :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, FOFirehawkFAN said:

So how does everybody think the new staggered entrance times will affect wait times overall this season?  Will be see shorter wait times on average just with longer socially distant lines?

Early morning probably be less then as the day progresses on as more come in at their times.  I think Orion will have long wait times as per usual for new attractions. Hope they figure out something as I don't think they have enough space to distance what would normally be a3-4 hr line normally packed in. But maybe they added some more queuing. Maybe in Vortex's pit you start there then cross over LOLOL 

I'm actually surprised how many spots and actual numbers for ki, are taken so far.  DW didn't say their max reduced capacity and it's clear they have come nowhere close to hitting their Max as they've already released the hold on passholder limit of reservations and have no limit on number of days after just a week being open. 

Expect July 2-4th to be heavier as it's a holiday and that's been the pattern for the other chains. Their opening Preview days were busier than when it opened to the Gp. But I still imagine most rides will be short to walk on like on days where there's less than 15k in the park.  Only time will tell. 

• Like 2

I reserved July 12 because its the first day I can go. I know its also the first day the public can go. I also want to go on Sat July 18th. I wonder if that means I can't reserve for the 18th until the 13th? If so and all the early times are taken I'm much less likely to go. If I have to wait over 2 weeks to make that second reservation and then the only thing open is 1:30pm in theory. It is not really worth my time to only go for 5 hours. Sure I do it during Winterfest but but that is not during a throttled Covid condition park either. I wonder if that affects Cedar Point reservations too? Not that it matters as much seeing as they are gonna be more or less running Haunt Fridays operations and not have every ride running.

Based on the initial footage I see from Holiday World and Dollywood, I am cautiously optimistic that it won't be too packed early on.  Orion will have a wait no matter what, and perhaps FoF due to its proximity, but most other rides will not be.  Either way, I'm looking at 2020, especially the first visit, as a historic visit, good or bad.  "Remember that time we had to wear mask and deal with all the virus crap?  Yeah, that sucked.."

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

Based on the initial footage I see from Holiday World and Dollywood, I am cautiously optimistic that it won't be too packed early on.  Orion will have a wait no matter what, and perhaps FoF due to its proximity, but most other rides will not be.  Either way, I'm looking at 2020, especially the first visit, as a historic visit, good or bad.  "Remember that time we had to wear mask and deal with all the virus crap?  Yeah, that sucked.."

I have been keeping our timeline page updated for this year.

https://kicentral.com/parkhistory/timeline/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 8:25 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I have been keeping our timeline page updated for this year.

https://KICentral.com/parkhistory/timeline/

2019 is still missing something. :)

Pertaining to the topic: even if waits got a bit long *cough*Orion*cough* I'll gladly take that over waiting days and days for the park to even open! I'm glad our wait for Opening Day is almost over.

• Like 3

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic