How much longer for Invertigo?

SonofBaconator

Invertigo opened as Face Off in 1999 along with the then named Drop Zone. Its celebrated it's 20th birthday last season and is still one of the few suspended boomerangs left in the globe. With that being said, how much longer will it last?

Its currently living on borrowed time with parts from Dorney Park's defunct Stinger. It serves as eye candy when you walk up to the main entrance but doesn't really sit on an attractive plot of land by itself. There's more room for opportunity if Congo Falls were to exit with it but that's all speculation at this point. 

KI has removed 3 coasters in the 2010s, (2 of which were immediately replaced the following seasons), so its removal isn't out of the question. Personally I think its the next coaster to be removed but I don't necessarily think it'll be anytime soon. Covid-19 has pushed a lot of things back so I think if the ride operates safely, the park won't have an immediate need to remove it. Additionally I don't think KI would remove another coaster at least until they get something to replace Vortex. To me Intertigo's one of those coasters that wouldn't warrant a replacement but it certainly would look odd to not see it when you walk up to the main gate. 

My final verdict, I think it'll be gone before the decade's over but I can't truly speculate on a year.

• Like 1

So... the phrase "borrowed time" has been thrown around a lot with regards to discussion on Invertigo's future. However, its based on the premise that Vekoma does not support the Inverted Boomerang Model anymore; or its replacement parts would be inordinately expensive...

For the record, there are 2 other operating Invertigos in the world: one last relocated in in 2012 and the other 2015.

That having said, while I would agree that Invertigo leaving sometime in the next 10 years certainly seems likely, I wouldn't think lack of availability of replacements would be the problem. Besides, I can imagine many of its parts are cross-compatible with the SLC model (for which there are dozens in the world).

• Like 1

@FOFirehawkFAN, the SOB chain echo was a KI signature in the same way.

How likely is it that at the time they get rid of Invertigo they also remove Timberwolf and Congo Falls?

That would open a lot of flat, usable space for midways flats, a coaster, or a newer, larger water ride. Personally, I'd hate to see a water ride go without a replacement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KI Guy said:

@FOFirehawkFAN, the SOB chain echo was a KI signature in the same way.

How likely is it that at the time they get rid of Invertigo they also remove Timberwolf and Congo Falls?

That would open a lot of flat, usable space for midways flats, a coaster, or a newer, larger water ride. Personally, I'd hate to see a water ride go without a replacement.

I can't remember the last time Cedar Fair built a water ride (not including water park expansions) since the fiasco or whatever happened with that new Intamin log flume they opened in Cedar Point

I am not sure Invertigo is eye candy anymore. Last year, it was missing one of its end cars for most of the season. Queues are often long because of low ride capacity. Headbanging was only fun at 1980’s metal concerts. Congo Falls is okay but seems more fun to spectators, who stand on the wooden bridge over the bottom of the Fall and try to second guess where to stand to get (more or less) soaked. Would love to see a future coaster that swoops over KI’s main entrance. Perhaps something like Cedar Point’s GateKeeper?

^ I second. No cars were missing, which was confirmed even more when I got trained there last season. :)

As for headbanging, I hardly notice when my head taps the shoulder harness (emphasis on taps :)). I love Invertigo's intensity and its forwards/backwards experience, and it is another one of my favorites. I hope it stays for a while longer, and in the meantime I'll take advantage of when its line is short.

-BFF, who cares nothing about which ride may leave next after losing 2 favorite coasters in 2 years, and is very excited to ride Invertigo in mere days. Also her cumulative ride count on Invertigo is currently 55 with the first milestone (100) in reach hopefully soon. :)

• Like 5

I think the very back row (as in, going up the lift facing forward) on the seat closest to the entrance gives the best ride. I quite like Invertigo, but I could see it being removed in the next few years. At the same time, it is the only one of its kind in the US, so there is that... 

I wonder if Vekoma can make a train with better restraints like they have with their other Boomerangs, granted Invertigo's train is more unique.  I'd even take a new train that would get rid of the face-to-face seating.  

The new trains make a HUGE difference on the normal Boomerangs. 

14 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

I think the very back row (as in, going up the lift facing forward) on the seat closest to the entrance gives the best ride. I quite like Invertigo, but I could see it being removed in the next few years. At the same time, it is the only one of its kind in the US, so there is that... 

I’m the exact opposite for my favorite. Not sure about smoothest ride but the seat facing down on the lift is my favorite. You can’t see the end of the lift to know how high and just see the ground getting further below and held there looking at the ground before you release. Then on the other side you see the end of the track racing towards you as you go up the hill.

3 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I wonder if Vekoma can make a train with better restraints like they have with their other Boomerangs, granted Invertigo's train is more unique.  I'd even take a new train that would get rid of the face-to-face seating.  

The new trains make a HUGE difference on the normal Boomerangs. 

I personally like the face to face feeling. You get to feel like you're going forwards and backwards where ever you sit

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 4:33 PM, PKIVortex said:

I can assure you no cars where missing from the train last season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You are correct. There is intentionally a bogie without a car at one end of the train. Aesthetically, it looks like a car is missing though. The bogie without a car probably also leads to the jitter some experience, because it is not dampened by riders.

• 6 months later...

A little off topic, but I came up with something they can do with the Invertigo land when it gets removed and it isn't a coaster. They could just plant grass there and use the land as an area where they can hold some smaller special events (think of what CP is using the area the stadium stood for or Knott's summer nights. Here is a little concept I came up with where they could do a summer nights style event on that plot:

2021-01-22_16.45.06.jpg

• Like 1