Cincinnati Themed Coaster?

SonofBaconator

Recently, parks have been theming their rides to the nearby cities and regions. We see this with Steel Curtain, Copperhead Strike, Fury 325 (loosely), Kentucky Flyer (loosely) etc. If a future coaster were to come to KI, would you want it themed to something in the southwestern Ohio region and if so what would theme it to?

You could argue Orion is themed to Ohio becaue of space exploration, Ohioan Neil Armstrong, and the Air and Space museum in Dayton but that hasn't been confirmed by the park.

Banshee also has some Cincinnati ties with it being a creature of Irish folklore and Cincinnati having Irish immigrants years ago.

I think  some sweet red and white track would fit the park anesthetic well and a launch or multi launch could have some dumb connection to a fast pitch of home run or something. Marge Whatsherface’s giant white dogs could be cute cuddly mascots.  

Or even better...  re-theme Backlot with HONDAS and give it a Need for Speed kind of theme. Not necessarily Cincinnati, but they’re pumping out cars and wind turbines in your state. They also have an R&D arm and I believe they do testing at Mid America. 

11 minutes ago, amapan said:

I think  some sweet red and white track would fit the park anesthetic well and a launch or multi launch could have some dumb connection to a fast pitch of home run or something. Marge Whatsherface’s giant white dogs could be cute cuddly mascots.  

Or even better...  re-theme Backlot with HONDAS and give it a Need for Speed kind of theme. Not necessarily Cincinnati, but they’re pumping out steel and wind turbines in your state. 

City is removing anything Marge related....so her dogs would probably count as being a no-no.

Some Honda's are assembled in Ohio...but they don't make the Fit in Ohio, which ironically that would work with that coaster LOL.

F1, IndyCar, the Civic, or that new Acura NSX...  I guess what I’m saying is that it would be neat to see a Honda themed backlot.  It could promote their presence in the state and maybe turn some coaster kids into car nerds lol

Oh crap. I really didn’t know about the Marge situation. I just remembered photo with those dogs always being in the paper. I should have taken a temperature before I started posting. So sorry. 

It would be interesting to have every nfl market have a coaster themed to their local team the same way Kennywood has Steel curtain.  Not necessarily all S&S coasters.  Off topic a little bit from roller coasters, I was thinking about how Cedar Fair has given a few water parks in the chain unique themes like Cedar Point Shores and Carolina Harbor.  The only local theme I could come up with to make the KI Soak City would be Ohio river themed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steeltimber98 said:

It would be interesting to have every nfl market have a coaster themed to their local team the same way Kennywood has Steel curtain.  Not necessarily all S&S coasters.  Off topic a little bit from roller coasters, I was thinking about how Cedar Fair has given a few water parks in the chain unique themes like Cedar Point Shores and Carolina Harbor.  The only local theme I could come up with to make the KI Soak City would be Ohio river themed. 

I think the river theme would work honestly. I don't know if the Bengals really warrant a coaster at this time. The Reds on the other hand would've been in interesting idea. My biggest "what-if" would be if Diamondback were to be themed to "The Big Red Machine" but the snake theme is more original and unique. I still miss the Reds HoF Bar and Grille

• Like 1

So, if you think about it, Kings Island's original design was based on a romanticized version of Cincinnati. Its German heritage (Oktoberfest), its history (Rivertown), and its classic place to have fun (Coney Island) were all there. Hanna-Barbera isn't necessarily a Cincinnati thing, but Hanna-Barbera was owned by Taft Broadcasting, which was based in Cincinnati.

(International Street is the exception, and since I've never heard an actual reason why it was chosen, here's my theory: Dennis Spiegel said at the first Coasterstock that the Eiffel Tower was originally going to be at Coney, prior to the decision to build Kings Island. Putting it in an international section gives a plausible reason to exist, plus gives an opportunity to create a spectacle of an entrance area, much in the vein of Disneyland.)

Within the context of those themes is where the park's attractions' themes exist. Was there an actual beast that terrorized Cincinnati when it was a settlement? Not to my knowledge. Did racing coasters exist at Coney Island? Nope. Do people really do things that make them dizzy at Oktoberfest? Well... Yeah, actually. ;) But my point is that while each area is BASED in a part of Cincinnati's identity, it's not a 1:1 reflection of it. It's just a framework for everything else to exist within it. There's not really anything reflecting real life directly, as if it were the theme/amusement park equivalent of a fourth wall break in a movie, y'know? Theme/amusement parks and movies both exist to provide escapism. And yes, I think that's still true of amusement parks, too, despite the lack of focus on theming.

Which brings me to my answer to OP's question: I'd like to see more of that "this ride's story exists within the context of the area it's in"-kind of thing happen than have an explicitly real-life-Cincinnati-themed ride at the park like Steel Curtain. This is just my opinion, but to me, if the park reflects too much of the outside world, it ceases to be a theme park and becomes a really elaborate outdoor shopping center, like The Greene in Dayton. I'm exaggerating for effect, of course, but do you know what feeling I'm talking about?

To that end, if it were up to me, I'd also not have Skyline or Tom+Chee in the park, either. I enjoy both of those chains immensely, but... We're in Mason. Cincinnati proper isn't THAT far away. Heck, there's a Skyline just on the other side of 71. Wouldn't it be more interesting to have unique dining experiences in their places? Imagine if the park even had its OWN take on Cincinnati chili. (This is in a world where such things are realistically doable in a theme park setting--I recognize that there are a lot of reasons why that kind of thing isn't usually attempted.)

I had somewhere I was heading with this, but I forget what it was.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

So, if you think about it, Kings Island's original design was based on a romanticized version of Cincinnati. Its German heritage (Oktoberfest), its history (Rivertown), and its classic place to have fun (Coney Island) were all there. Hanna-Barbera isn't necessarily a Cincinnati thing, but Hanna-Barbera was owned by Taft Broadcasting, which was based in Cincinnati.

(International Street is the exception, and since I've never heard an actual reason why it was chosen, here's my theory: Dennis Spiegel said at the first Coasterstock that the Eiffel Tower was originally going to be at Coney, prior to the decision to build Kings Island. Putting it in an international section gives a plausible reason to exist, plus gives an opportunity to create a spectacle of an entrance area, much in the vein of Disneyland.)

Within the context of those themes is where the park's attractions' themes exist. Was there an actual beast that terrorized Cincinnati when it was a settlement? Not to my knowledge. Did racing coasters exist at Coney Island? Nope. Do people really do things that make them dizzy at Oktoberfest? Well... Yeah, actually. ;) But my point is that while each area is BASED in a part of Cincinnati's identity, it's not a 1:1 reflection of it. It's just a framework for everything else to exist within it. There's not really anything reflecting real life directly, as if it were the theme/amusement park equivalent of a fourth wall break in a movie, y'know? Theme/amusement parks and movies both exist to provide escapism. And yes, I think that's still true of amusement parks, too, despite the lack of focus on theming.

Which brings me to my answer to OP's question: I'd like to see more of that "this ride's story exists within the context of the area it's in"-kind of thing happen than have an explicitly real-life-Cincinnati-themed ride at the park like Steel Curtain. This is just my opinion, but to me, if the park reflects too much of the outside world, it ceases to be a theme park and becomes a really elaborate outdoor shopping center, like The Greene in Dayton. I'm exaggerating for effect, of course, but do you know what feeling I'm talking about?

To that end, if it were up to me, I'd also not have Skyline or Tom+Chee in the park, either. I enjoy both of those chains immensely, but... We're in Mason. Cincinnati proper isn't THAT far away. Heck, there's a Skyline just on the other side of 71. Wouldn't it be more interesting to have unique dining experiences in their places? Imagine if the park even had its OWN take on Cincinnati chili. (This is in a world where such things are realistically doable in a theme park setting--I recognize that there are a lot of reasons why that kind of thing isn't usually attempted.)

Woh my dude that was an awesome thing to read!  I guess I think it makes sense so not big red but what is going in vortes spot?  Could it be another caster that has a spooky story like other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dbackdreams said:

Woh my dude that was an awesome thing to read!  I guess I think it makes sense so not big red but what is going in vortes spot?  Could it be another caster that has a spooky story like other. 

Thanks! :)

So, if a coaster goes in Vortex's spot and its entrance is in Coney Mall, it'd be cool to see something with a 1920's-y theme (or even a 1960's-y theme.) Somebody here once suggested a Zamperla Moto coaster with a horse theme like this, and I have to admit that I do like that idea. Maybe not a copy of the *exact* ride I linked to, but something with a custom layout could be cool. If we didn't already have wooden coasters coming out the wazoo, that would be a neat place to put that Rye Aeroplane coaster previously discussed here.

If its entrance is in Rivertown, it'd be really cool to do what you were talking about with a spooky story! Something with a haunted mine would be really fun. Maybe it could be something like Firechaser Express at Dollywood?

• Like 1

@TombRaiderFTW I think I've mentioned this once or twice but I would like that whole midway between Vortex's land and Backlot Stunt Coaster be to be turned into a little mini Frontier City to extend Rivertown. The entrance could therefore be along that pathway. I'd also like to see BLSC's enterance reworked so that plaza could be dozed to add a flat but that's a dream of mine

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think the river theme would work honestly. I don't know if the Bengals really warrant a coaster at this time. The Reds on the other hand would've been in interesting idea. My biggest "what-if" would be if Diamondback were to be themed to "The Big Red Machine" but the snake theme is more original and unique. I still miss the Reds HoF Bar and Grille

You are right on the team themed roller coasters here and the Reds are a bigger part of Cincinnati history than the Bengals.  On the topic of the river theme, having some references to the steamboats and the Roebling Bridge would make for some unique waterpark theming

13 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

So, if a coaster goes in Vortex's spot and its entrance is in Coney Mall, it'd be cool to see something with a 1920's-y theme (or even a 1960's-y theme.) Somebody here once suggested a Zamperla Moto coaster with a horse theme like this, and I have to admit that I do like that idea. Maybe not a copy of the *exact* ride I linked to, but something with a custom layout could be cool. If we didn't already have wooden coasters coming out the wazoo, that would be a neat place to put that Rye Aeroplane coaster previously discussed here.

If its entrance is in Rivertown, it'd be really cool to do what you were talking about with a spooky story! Something with a haunted mine would be really fun. Maybe it could be something like Firechaser Express at Dollywood?

That great ideas my dude!  Do you work for King's island because you have great ideas what about my idea of another Daimonbdack where vortes was but more coil to strike?  It could be like a snake come out it den which is a mind so you have it spioky!!!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, TombRaiderFTW said:

(

You are absolutely right about the original theming.   There was a Cinti influence in those 3 areas. 

I totally agree about the outside food vendors. The park should be offering unique food that wants to make you wait to come to the park to eat. Not more expensive poor quality versions of food you can get outside the park! I don’t know why they went in this direction. The sponsorship but he must be pretty good because the food isn’t   

as far as do you mean something like steel curtain, I really think it’s the lazy way out with the theme rides to IP‘s.   Disney has become very lazy and That’s all six flags does  

Copperhead strike it definitely has a Carolina theme. When Carowinds was built the entire park was 100% Carolina themed.  Original theming   Not IPs      They did add Hanna-Barbera land after Taft bought the park, but IPs are fine in a children’s area     The original Carowinds was so well thought out and so well tied together.  

Paramount   destroyed  almost all of the Carolina theming of Carowinds    Cedar Fair has done a great job trying to return the theming   

Unfortunately IMO Ohio doesn’t have as much charming aspect as the Carolinas when it comes to creating theming after the state   

On 6/29/2020 at 9:17 PM, TombRaiderFTW said:

I always thought that the back area of Coney Mall (the ‘75 addition) Should be changed to a 50s or 60s separate themed section.   Although with the antique cars maybe a Roaring  20s theme would be better   

• Like 1

Maybe they could have a Mack multilaunch coaster themed to the Cincinnati Bangles. It could be called Wild Tiger! They could place it where the old Tomb Raider building is right now. It can have an orange track and black support beams.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, super7 said:

I always thought that the back area of Coney Mall (the ‘75 addition) Should be changed to a 50s or 60s separate themed section.   Although with the antique cars maybe a Roaring  20s theme would be better   

I think the area would be good for a steampunk theme. (Roaring 20's steampunk? Is that a thing?) The new ride in Vortex's plot, a retheme of BLSC, and the path between them with maybe a new flat or two could all be the 20's steampunk transition from Rivertown to Coney Mall

On 7/7/2020 at 12:39 PM, Zader said:

I think the area would be good for a steampunk theme. (Roaring 20's steampunk? Is that a thing?) The new ride in Vortex's plot, a retheme of BLSC, and the path between them with maybe a new flat or two could all be the 20's steampunk transition from Rivertown to Coney Mall

That’s a great idea.   That area could definitely carry its own theme.   It really isn’t continuous with Coney anymore.      Especially now since they took out the islands from the walkways when they added the antique cars.    

25 minutes ago, super7 said:

That’s a great idea.   That area could definitely carry its own theme.   It really isn’t continuous with Coney anymore.      Especially now since they took out the islands from the walkways when they added the antique cars.    

They integrated the islands into the cars. They still have their outer edges facing out into the midway, and then they blend into the actual attraction’s lawn.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

They integrated the islands into the cars. They still have their outer edges facing out into the midway, and then they blend into the actual attraction’s lawn.

The park did a great job making the Kings Mills Antique Autos fit with Coney Mall in my opinion. The area of Coney Mall where the antique cars went looked pretty bad before the addition, and it is a really nice looking area now.

• Like 3