Orion Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

Everyone is excited to hear what people think of Kings Island's newest roller coaster, Orion. This is the KIC Orion reviews thread.

Please keep in mind, between the pandemic and change in park procedures we can not expect everything to be as smooth as we are used to.

The KIC admin ask that your reviews are done respectfully and understanding of others opinions. All park rules and TOS need to be followed with pictures.

Photo_1593639594133.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Thane Of Price Hill said:

I loved Orion.  it had more airtime than I expected and maintained its speed all the way until the end.  Obviously I wish it were about 1000 feet longer, but it’s great to have a giga coaster at Kings Island.

Did the banked hill after the drop and the turnaround have any airtime?

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to helping you all experience it myself. That being said, here's my analysis from last week. Sideways airtime hill is fairly weak, but is probably good with a full train. The turnaround provides a lot more intensity than you would think. You get a bit of ejector on the speed hill, and flojector on the airtime hill. The helix is probably the biggest underdog of the ride, was fast, and provided a lot of good forces. The last 2 hills are nothing to scoff at either as they provide some quick floater to finish the ride. I was smiling hands up throughout the ride, and I do think that this is now my #1 at KI.

Also, I was riding front row, and the air blowing past you was pretty loud, that stayed pretty consistent until the helix, which shows the ride keeps it's speed for a lot of it. The lift is really quick too, but it's long, so it takes a good 30sec to climb. Some great views of the park and the surrounding area though, so you won't want to miss it on the way up the lift.

As with all B&Ms, the transitions were graceful, no rapid changes. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Thane Of Price Hill said:

I personally didn’t notice any airtime there, but I did get airtime on every hill after. Even a little pop up to the brake run. 

Cool man, I assume the pop of air into the brakes would be like Diamondbacks.  Never knew why people were calling the banked hill after the drop a wave turn, wave turns give air in the center.

Pretty sweet ride I must say! Back in line for my second ride. Fury feels more of a rush the whole time, but Orion doesn't let up either. 

They're only loading half the train at the moment so the queue appears longer than what it really is. 

• Like 3

Rode it in the back row. Feels a lot like Fury, just a little shorter. It maintains a speed all the way through. The last hill was more of an airtime hill however. It has some of the quietest wheels ever heard on a coaster. The quietness probably gives the illusion that it's not going as fast as it is, unlike millennium Force. I don't think you can compare those two. Every row is being used but only two per row. 

Photo_1593641552757.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, MrSourNinja said:

How would you like me to fact check? Call up the exact person that gave them the go-ahead? I mean they literally talked to the ride op who I'm sure could see the glasses and didn't say anything.

So now it is that the ride op didn't notice them?  First you said the park gave them permission.

1 minute ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Rode it in the back row. Feels a lot like Fury, just a little shorter. It maintains a speed all the way through. The last hill was more of an airtime hill however. It has some of the quietest wheels ever heard on a coaster. The quietness probably gives the illusion that it's not going as fast as it is, unlike millennium Force. I don't think you can compare those two. Every row is being used but only two per row. 

Photo_1593641552757.jpg

Which color train looks the best in your opinion? And I am guessing it is glossy smooth?

Just rode it and am having some BBQ as I write this. First off, the theming is INCREDIBLE! It went well beyond what I expected! Waiting in line there was a lot to look at. The actual ride was so much more intense than I expected. It’s very fast and doesn’t let up at any point. I think Orion is a wonderful addition to the park!

• Like 2

Just got done with first ride, it's intense but definitely smooth, almost hard to get a sense of the height until you look for WindSeeker, ect. Kids mask did get pulled down off her nose from screaming so I've use an extra hairball to tighten it for the next ride. There's alot of theme elements in the queue, few that's humorous. 

• Like 2