Orion Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

6 minutes ago, DonHelbig said:

Really? When did 5,282 feet of track (Diamondback) and 5,318 feet of track (Behemoth) become MUCH longer than 5,321 (Orion)? 

Most coasters are between 2,000 and 3,000 feet in length. Orion is literally double the length of the average coaster, so we really can’t be calling it short. Not every ride is as long as The Beast (the longest coaster in North America).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

I love millinium force. I hope it’s compareable.

OH YEA!  Totally forgot about Millennium Force!! 

Millennium Force is MUCH more intense and seems WAY FASTER and much longer.    On Orion I never once thought "this is fast!".  On Millennium Force you FEEL the speed big time when the tears are streaking out of your eyes!  NOTHING like that on Orion.  It's SO short.

Agree with what you said about it's a "GP pleaser".  It's a good, smooth coaster with a 300ft drop.  That's it.

It just doesn't compare to other Gigas and some hypers.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Most coasters are between 2,000 and 3,000 feet in length. Orion is literally double the length of the average coaster, so we really can’t be calling it short. Not every ride is as long as The Beast (the longest coaster in North America).

I think we all understood what the original poster meant, not about the actual length but the time. 

I think Orion will be a great ride when I get the chance to ride. But some of the reviews coming in with their minor notes on it's length I've seen are something I'm not ignoring. Still, it does look like a fun ride regardless.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Driver8rws said:

Agree with what you said about it's a "GP pleaser".  

Hate to break it to you bud, but everything the park adds is about the general public. They're not going to make decision on "enthusiasts" who make up one percent (if that) of their audience. 

I think a lot of people here, especially people who are complaining about the length of it need to realize. They're not going to spend an extra 5 million or so for a small percentage of their audience. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Driver8rws said:

I know I'm going to RIPPED up on here for saying, but this is my opinion.

Nothing special...

FURY 325 destroys Orion.

Nothing on Orion other than the drop was memorable.   Didn't even feel a desire to immediately ride again.  The line all the way back to Vortex lot probably had something to do with that.

I'll DEFINITELY ride it every time I come to KI, but I think Diamondback and Behemoth are actually better cause the ride is MUCH longer.  

Giga wise, Leviathan and Intimidator 305 are also slightly better than Orion.  And like I said, you GOTTA go ride FURY 325, THEN compare! 

I don't want to be a "hater".  I WANTED it to be amazing.  After all that time and money and planning.  It's a FINE ride.  Great theming.  Other coasters are just a LOT better.

Even though I haven't ridden Behemoth, I do kinda agree a little bit about what you said with Diamondback feeling a lot longer. It did kinda feel like Orion was over pretty quick and I do remember Diamondback feeling like it was longer. Also, I didn't say Orion was my most favorite ride or that it was the best ride in the world that I've ridden. Right now, my #1 roller coaster that I have ridden is definitely Diamondback, with Maverick at Cedar Point being #2, and Orion would probably be #3. But, it's okay if you didn't like it. It is your opinion after all.

• Like 1

Orion has a top speed of 91 mph where Diamondback's top speed is 80 mph. So in theory, Diamondback is longer in terms of ride duration since its 11mph slower than Orion. I think that's what @Driver8rws meant to say. Faster rides will, for the most part, naturally have a shorter ride duration than others. Orion will blast through its  5,321ft of track at 91 mph faster than it takes Diamondback to complete its 5,282 ft of track at 80 mph. Personally, I don't agree a ride is immediatly deemed better because of how long the ride time is.

• Like 2

On FB someone indicated they are requiring 3 clicks on the lapbar and booting folks who otherwise would fit. .  Diamondback only requires 2 for the same restraint. Can anyone confirm? I’m a tight 2 depending on the day, so no point in wasting time if they require 3. I’d never make it at my current state of fitness. 

Orion has a top speed of 91 mph where Diamondback's top speed is 80 mph. So in theory, Diamondback is longer in terms of ride duration since its 11mph slower than Orion. I think that's what [mention=10391]Driver8rws[/mention] meant to say. Faster rides will, for the most part, will naturally have a shorter ride duration than others. Personally, I don't agree a ride is immediatly deemed better because of how long the ride time is.

It’s all about what the ride achieves in it’s time. If rides were only based on their duration, The Beast would be the best coaster in Ohio.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, IceePirate said:

I'm looking forward to helping you all experience it myself. That being said, here's my analysis from last week. Sideways airtime hill is fairly weak, but is probably good with a full train. The turnaround provides a lot more intensity than you would think. You get a bit of ejector on the speed hill, and flojector on the airtime hill. The helix is probably the biggest underdog of the ride, was fast, and provided a lot of good forces. The last 2 hills are nothing to scoff at either as they provide some quick floater to finish the ride. I was smiling hands up throughout the ride, and I do think that this is now my #1 at KI.

Also, I was riding front row, and the air blowing past you was pretty loud, that stayed pretty consistent until the helix, which shows the ride keeps it's speed for a lot of it. The lift is really quick too, but it's long, so it takes a good 30sec to climb. Some great views of the park and the surrounding area though, so you won't want to miss it on the way up the lift.

As with all B&Ms, the transitions were graceful, no rapid changes. 

Did you do any of the other rows other than the front one? If so, which one was your favorite? I think the back row was the most intense row.

I love the kind of ride Orion is, insane elements in a short amount of time, and never loses speed. That's why I also like Top Thrill Dragster, once you are on the break run, your brain is still processing what just happened. I think Fury could rank much higher on my list than number 6 if the ending wasn't so slow.

• Like 1

Coasters 101 review (link above) said...

"I would take Orion over Firehawk and Vortex (two recently removed coasters) any day."

I DEFINITELY agree with that statement 1 million percent!!! 

Also sounds like Orion needs repeated rides to appreciate it.  That's what I did with Fury 325,  so I need to with Orion as well.  Also need to try the front of the ride apparently.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Driver8rws said:

Coasters 101 review (link above) said...

"I would take Orion over Firehawk and Vortex (two recently removed coasters) any day."

I DEFINITELY agree with that statement 1 million percent!!! 

Also sounds like Orion needs repeated rides to appreciate it.  That's what I did with Fury 325,  so I need to with Orion as well.  Also need to try the front of the ride apparently.

Rerides are a must. Not going to happen today for most with the wait, but reserving a full opinion until at least 3 or 4 rides is best. 

It just kept getting better for me as I noticed more elements and forces after each ride.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Rerides are a must. Not going to happen today for most with the wait, but reserving a full opinion until at least 3 or 4 rides is best. 

It just kept getting better for me as I noticed more elements and forces after each ride.

Hopefully I notice some more ride elements a little later.

1 hour ago, DonHelbig said:

Really? When did 5,282 feet of track (Diamondback) and 5,318 feet of track (Behemoth) become MUCH longer than 5,321 (Orion)? 

Sorry Don, I meant short TIME wise.

It may only be 10-20 sec shorter than Diamondback, but it just seemed over really quick.  

Orion is definitely the 1st (or 2nd) best coaster at K.I.!! 

Love ya @DonHelbig and all you do! 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Kodistict said:

I will give my review on every hill,

1st hill: The lift is very fast and quiet, you can definitely feel the 85 degrees and the drop is very long

2nd hill: Very fast element and gives some nice lateral floater, also feels overbanked

3rd hill: Very forceful surprisingly, and feels like a second curved drop. You also really notice the height!

4th hill: Best airtime moment on the ride hands down, I can't even describe this

5th hill: Trim doesn't slow the train down much, and gives some nice floater

Helix: Sustained positive G's throughout the helix and that near miss is amazing! Also made me grey out a few times

6th hill: Very good positive G's and a surprising amount of airtime

Brakes: you actually get some airtime into the brakes, and the brake run goes by very quickly.

And the night ride... well that is on a whole nother level.

Spot on review.  12 rides last night in all 8 rows.. great ride.  Front back middle all different in their own ways..  I'll give the back a slight nod..  final turn in to the brake run was sweet.  Think about night rides for a second...  last night and July 4th maybe the only opportunities to get them since the park closes early most nights..

IMG_20200701_214555.jpg

IMG_20200701_214158.jpg

IMG_20200701_214157.jpg

Edited by darby427
Images
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Dj325 said:

Did you do any of the other rows other than the front one? If so, which one was your favorite? I think the back row was the most intense row.

I thought the back in front had different moments of intensity.. The push at the bottom of the first drop was pretty cool..  But that being said the whip over the top was awesome as well..  I even liked the middle with the only downside to the middle being that final turn before the brake run didn't quite have the pop the front and back head

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sockeref said:

On FB someone indicated they are requiring 3 clicks on the lapbar and booting folks who otherwise would fit. .  Diamondback only requires 2 for the same restraint. Can anyone confirm? I’m a tight 2 depending on the day, so no point in wasting time if they require 3. I’d never make it at my current state of fitness. 

Two clicks gets it done..  in fact for the first couple of trains last night there is a monitor on the back side of the station that shows you the status of each restraint.  There was a guy on the train before us who clicked once because he even said oh **** only one click..  look over to the monitor sure enough it's red they came back and I heard distinctively only one click and it went green.  After that they shut the monitor off.  I myself am a two click without effort and a three click staple and I rode it a bunch of times last night with just two clicks because I listen for it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm so glad to see all the theming on this thing. It seems like the ride is basically exactly what people expected. But the theming REALLY sets it apart. The entire plaza looks great. The music is fantastic. The overall vibe, especially at night, is going to make the build-up to the ride so much more exciting. I think they can cool it with the rapid-fire lighting color changes on the supports. It looks so cool when it slowly transitions between just a couple colors. The rapid candy colors makes it look cheap (same note for I-street, actually!), but I'm glad they spent the money on the lighting package. It really looks impressive. And I know most of the queue and the station is bare bones, but they didn't need to spend the money they spent on the theming hut and the score and all the other details! I'm so glad they did. It's great to see that it's a priority. Really well-done.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, darby427 said:

Spot on review.  12 rides last night in all 8 rows.. great ride.  Front back middle all different in their own ways..  I'll give the back a slight nod..  final turn in to the brake run was sweet.  Think about night rides for a second...  last night and July 4th maybe the only opportunities to get them since the park closes early most nights..

IMG_20200701_214555.jpg

IMG_20200701_214158.jpg

IMG_20200701_214157.jpg

First of all, nice pics dude! Second of all, you got twelve rides! Man, I only got 8.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sockeref said:

It's 3 clicks, but the lapbar starts clicking a little higher up than usual. There's a test seat out front to check. You should be able to fit on Orion if you fit on Diamondback.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

It's 3 clicks, but the lapbar starts clicking a little higher up than usual. There's a test seat out front to check. You should be able to fit on Orion if you fit on Diamondback.

If it's three then that first click is darn near silent.. I distinctively heard two but it may be three but I definitely couldn't hear the first one if that was the case.  But the way the seat feels and the way I sat in it felt almost identical to Diamondback.. so I truly believe if you fit in Diamondback you'll fit in this one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, darby427 said:

If it's three then that first click is darn near silent.. I distinctively heard two but it may be three but I definitely couldn't hear the first one if that was the case.  But the way the seat feels and the way I sat in it felt almost identical to Diamondback.. so I truly believe if you fit in Diamondback you'll fit in this one

They told us 3 clicks at our training, so the first one is probably silent.

• Like 1