Orion Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

1 minute ago, Driver8rws said:

I thought it was very cool they referenced MANY old rides on the posters in the hut, but I don't get why they had posters for Invertigo and Flight of Fear?

Those the next coasters to go away?? ;) 

20200702_120709.jpg

20200702_120714.jpg

20200702_120757.jpg

Flight of Fear plays an important role in Orion's theming now. So I don't think they will remove it anytime soon.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dj325 said:

First of all, nice pics dude! Second of all, you got twelve rides! Man, I only got 8.

We got lucky because we had gold and were pretty much in the front during the speeches so we ended up getting front seat on train three out of the station and then just kept getting lucky by getting in line during those lul times.  We had two rides in by 5:30 and then went to the barbecue joint and then just kept going straight through the rest of the night.  And the only reason we got to 12 was we came up to the top of the station and there was a middle row open and they said you can jump on right now without waiting while they were still loading..  that allowed us to get back off and get back on the line at 11:59 and we were on the second to last train out.    I felt bad for the groups waiting for the front seat at the end because as we were getting off they said this is the last train of the night so it's get on or don't ride..  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

They told us 3 clicks at our training, so the first one is probably silent.

Did they say anything about the red line that shows up on the base?  Because after the first click that I heard so maybe the second click you actually see that red line visible and then obviously the more you click the more that red line you see

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, darby427 said:

Did they say anything about the red line that shows up on the base?  Because after the first click that I heard so maybe the second click you actually see that red line visible and then obviously the more you click the more that red line you see

No clue, the screen in the back of the station is supposed to let us know which seats are locked, but it's not the most reliable. It goes off a different computer than the ride computer, so you're still completely safe, it's just a bit inaccurate at times lol

• Like 1

From my experience last night you needed at least 3 clicks and a small portion of the red line is visable at that, no line meant no ride. And I could never hear the first click.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, darby427 said:

We got lucky because we had gold and were pretty much in the front during the speeches so we ended up getting front seat on train three out of the station and then just kept getting lucky by getting in line during those lul times.  We had two rides in by 5:30 and then went to the barbecue joint and then just kept going straight through the rest of the night.  And the only reason we got to 12 was we came up to the top of the station and there was a middle row open and they said you can jump on right now without waiting while they were still loading..  that allowed us to get back off and get back on the line at 11:59 and we were on the second to last train out.    I felt bad for the groups waiting for the front seat at the end because as we were getting off they said this is the last train of the night so it's get on or don't ride..  

I think I was on the second to last train too! We were on our seventh ride and I was sitting with my friend Alex. When we were on the the final breaks, right behind the station, Alex says, "hey, do you wanna try to get the last ride of the night?", and I said, "sure!" And sure enough, when we got into the station and those lap bars went up, me and Alex started running towards the entrance. We didn't stop to look at our pictures. Now I that I think about it, I don't think me and Alex even stopped to spray our hands with hand sanitizer. Oops. *\0/*

• Like 1

I just got off Orion about thirty minutes ago.  Waited about 3 1/2 hours. It’s a decent super short ride with some good speed but it definitely ranks for me below Fury, Leviathan, I 305 and to an extent I still prefer Diamondbacks over all ride experience. It’s Still a good addition to the park and the GP seemed to enjoy it. I personally wouldn’t wait more than 45 minutes to ride it again but it will make the lines shorter for the other coasters in the park. 

One major note, however. The park has social distancing markers all through the queue...which is good...HOWEVER they have every queue lane open meaning even if you and your party are obeying social distancing in front and behind you it is IMPOSSIBLE to stay more than 6 feet away from the people to either side of you. At times with people leaning over or sitting on the queue rails the other guests come within inches of you. This totally defeats the purpose of even trying to social distance. May as well not even bother. 

People did seem pretty good about masks. But BOY HOWDY were some guests mad when there wasn’t any place to get water. It’s all a learning curve. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Rerides are a must. Not going to happen today for most with the wait, but reserving a full opinion until at least 3 or 4 rides is best. 

It just kept getting better for me as I noticed more elements and forces after each ride.

This is the only ever coaster in my life that I have only had one ride it's all still kind of a blur, hot sweaty day, face masks, long line.  Id love to give my review but I don't even remember it.

I wouldn't trade the experience for anything it was an AMAZING ride!

• Like 1

Orion is a solid coaster. The drop seemed to last forever and kept getting steeper and steeper. The wave turn was incredible and I did get some sideways airtime. The turnaround was fun, overbanked, and quick. It was amazing seeing how much taller the lift hill is than that 202 foot turnaround. The speed hill was incredible, one of the best moments of the ride. Then this is where the ride went sour for me. The floater hill is heavily trimmed; you would probably get some major ejector airtime without it. While the helix was fun and decently kept its speed, it wasn't anything special compared to how you fly through the other elements. Didn't really notice the headchopper as we headed into another great moment, the turn towards the brake run. Didn't experience the airtime others have mentioned (I rode in row 4) as we hit the brakes, but I certainly felt how hard those magnetic brakes hit at the end. We still had a ton of speed and its too bad we didn't get to use it. Can't wait to give it a couple more tries before I can firmly rank it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

How is this vs mf?

I personally enjoy MF much much more as an overall experience. Orion might have a slight edge coaster wise but MF has the lake, the sweeping curves and the rampant all over Cedar Point feeling. For the fifty seconds of coaster tho Orion packs a couple more thrills. 

• Like 1

Rode it for the second time tonight. The coaster was warmed up and I sat in the back row vs the front row. Totally better in the back, the turnaround isn't as intense, but the rest of the ride definitely makes up for it. I actually got really nice floater on the sideways hill, and the other sideways hill before the brake run was sideways ejector. 100% back row ride and 100% my favorite coaster at the park. Trims didn't hit really at all when I rode it, so I guess I'm 0/2 on hard trims.

I also rode FoF today and it looks like they gave the indoor queue area some TLC, could just be my imagination though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tuxedoman52 said:

Orion is a solid coaster. The drop seemed to last forever and kept getting steeper and steeper. The wave turn was incredible and I did get some sideways airtime. The turnaround was fun, overbanked, and quick. It was amazing seeing how much taller the lift hill is than that 202 foot turnaround. The speed hill was incredible, one of the best moments of the ride. Then this is where the ride went sour for me. The floater hill is heavily trimmed; you would probably get some major ejector airtime without it. While the helix was fun and decently kept its speed, it wasn't anything special compared to how you fly through the other elements. Didn't really notice the headchopper as we headed into another great moment, the turn towards the brake run. Didn't experience the airtime others have mentioned (I rode in row 4) as we hit the brakes, but I certainly felt how hard those magnetic brakes hit at the end. We still had a ton of speed and its too bad we didn't get to use it. Can't wait to give it a couple more tries before I can firmly rank it.

I can agree on the trims - it slowed us down way too much.  The ejector there would be ridiculous if it wasn’t trimmed so much.  And when it did trim excessively, it almost felt like we crawled to the top of the helix.  

I can agree on the trims - it slowed us down way too much.  The ejector there would be ridiculous if it wasn’t trimmed so much.  And when it did trim excessively, it almost felt like we crawled to the top of the helix.  
Also, I wish the lift hill didn't slow down at the top. I know it wouldn't add a ton of speed but there would be crazy ejector in the back.

• Like 1

Orion, for me, is a "wish list" ride. I hoped for some time that Kings Island would eventually get a B&M giga (since I have still never ridden Fury or Leviathan) so our getting Orion is literally a wish come true!

When I rode today, I waited 2 hr 15 min with the line beginning just outside the ride entrance/old Firehawk exit. After so much time waiting to ride Orion and imagining it, my actual riding it feels like a dream. I'm fully in the moment and I know it's actually happening, yet at the same time I feel like I am quietly and smoothly flying through a dream.

I rode in row 4 on the far right, and I happened to look straight down during the turnaround, which had a super cool view! The speed hill is my favorite element, with the wave turn and last hill close seconds. I can safely say that the speed hill gives AT LEAST the same amount of airtime that Vortex's first drop gave to anyone who rode in 7-1. On the wave turn I pulled my feet up and tapped my toes, which was something I always did in Vortex's corkscrews just for the fun of it.

Orion means so much to me already. It became a light at the end of the tunnel in my still-ongoing dealing with losing Vortex, especially since Orion is the ride which I hoped Kings Island would get. Seeing the empty hole in the back of Coney Mall saddens me a good bit, but once I get whisked into that 300-foot drop, I am reminded that I will be okay and more great things are still to come.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, LAGuy75 said:

It’s a decent super short ride with some good speed but it definitely ranks for me below Fury, Leviathan, I 305 and to an extent I still prefer Diamondbacks over all ride experience. It’s Still a good addition to the park and the GP seemed to enjoy it. I personally wouldn’t wait more than 45 minutes to ride it again but it will make the lines shorter for the other coasters in the park. 

Man!  Almost exactly MY review!   Glad to hear EVERYONE hasn't lost their mind just cause it's new.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Driver8rws said:

Man!  Almost exactly MY review!   Glad to hear EVERYONE hasn't lost their mind just cause it's new.

Wow. Most people from what I've read have said the ride is REALLY good. Maybe because you only rode it once and with the heat and the long lines due to the Corona precautions it affected your feelings. Those who rode multiple times on July 1st with the shorter lines seem to have nothing but good things to say.

GP to Enthusiast who has ridden it multiple times (Youtuber with 50.000 subs) considers it a Next Generation B&M and he even likes it better than Fury325 and feels that it's MUCH better than Millenium Force

Here are his quotes

-- So cool! For you, what makes Orion better than Fury?

"So fast paced, takes every element so fast! There are no "dead zones" on the ride at all, every element does something good!

-- I'll be there Saturday, and Sunday. Idk if this will be better than MF. From the POVs, I don't think it will be.I'll be there Saturday, and Sunday. Idk if this will be better than MF. From the POVs, I don't think it will be.

"Its miles better than MF"

Other enthusiasts with over 500 credits are saying it's there 2nd favorite B&M behind only Fury and were visibly shocked and surprised at how good the ride was (we're talking guys who have ridden Steel Vengeance, El Toro, i305, Fury325 etc. hundreds and hundreds of times mind you)

Sorry but I take these more established coaster enthusiasts opinions in much higher regard than yours

Here are a couple links

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@RayFields I understand respecting a certain channels opinion, especially if you share the same opinion when you ride it.

Respectively, everyone is not going to share the same opinion as a particular coaster channel either. If everyone had the same opinion there would be no reason for this thread. I could say my thoughts and everyone would just agree. 

I personally like seeing why a person did not like a ride and see if I feel the same. If someone says they didn't like the Helix for a particular reason,  I will focus on that area when I ride and see if I agree or disagree with their assessment. Reading other people's opinions is a way to expand your own. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

No such thing as an established coaster enthusiast. Everyone has an opinion, and they're all slightly different. Lay off. No need to blindly follow your coaster enthusiast idols.

What I meant is riders that have a larger coaster count and who obviously exhibit more broad mindedness and intelligence are those whose opinions I naturally favor. Just like if I'm looking to buy a new sports car I'll listen to the professional drivers who know how to utilize all the performance of the car than a novice/intermediate driver who is narrowing in on perceived faults that arise due to his lack of skill ( not being able to counter slight understeer, not shifting or getting on the brakes at the right time, etc)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What I meant is riders that have a larger coaster count and who obviously exhibit more broad mindedness and intelligence are those whose opinions I naturally favor. Just like if I'm looking to buy a new sports car I'll listen to the professional drivers who know how to utilize all the performance of the car than a novice/intermediate driver who is narrowing in on perceived faults that arise due to his lack of skill ( not being able to counter slight understeer, not shifting or getting on the brakes at the right time, etc)
And every driver has their own personal preference on how they want their car to handle, shift, and accelerate. Just like coaster enthusiasts have their preferences; i.e. inversions, height, speed, ejector vs. floater airtime.