Orion Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

One of the reasons that I305 and Skyrush aren't ranked higher in most coaster polls - and the general public - is specifically due to their intensity levels.  If you go on an average park day at either Kings Dominion or Hershey you'll hardly ever find super long lines for those coasters.

Millennium Force almost always has a good size line.  One of the reasons for that is because it's not aggressive.  The general public LOVES Millennium Force, and the high fun and re-rideable nature of the ride lends itself to high demand.  Fury and the other really good B&M megas (including Orion) are really popular because they aren't super intense.  They give you all the stuff most people like (speed, airtime, high capacity) without taking much off.  There's a reason Cedar Fair installed 3 B&M gigas after I305. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, gad198 said:

One of the reasons that I305 and Skyrush aren't ranked higher in most coaster polls - and the general public - is specifically due to their intensity levels.  If you go on an average park day at either Kings Dominion or Hershey you'll hardly ever find super long lines for those coasters.

Millennium Force almost always has a good size line.  One of the reasons for that is because it's not aggressive.  The general public LOVES Millennium Force, and the high fun and re-rideable nature of the ride lends itself to high demand.  Fury and the other really good B&M megas (including Orion) are really popular because they aren't super intense.  They give you all the stuff most people like (speed, airtime, high capacity) without taking much off.  There's a reason Cedar Fair installed 3 B&M gigas after I305. 

Not only do some people not like the more intense gigas but rides with such high forces make people want to leave the parks sooner even if they like the ride. The sooner they leave the less money they spend. 

Also how much does a half train affect the speed of the train? Someone who’s worked a b@m Would probably have a good answer as each different ride types all work differently. When I worked the ticket booth for extreme sky flier I used to watch Banshee all throughout the day and noticed a major difference in speed when a train would be full vs empty. I’m curious at how much a half train would be different than a full train. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bengalsguy23 said:

Also how much does a half train affect the speed of the train? Someone who’s worked a b@m Would probably have a good answer as each different ride types all work differently. When I worked the ticket booth for extreme sky flier I used to watch Banshee all throughout the day and noticed a major difference in speed when a train would be full vs empty. I’m curious at how much a half train would be different than a full train. 

The trim will grab harder with a full train.

8 minutes ago, bengalsguy23 said:

For Leviathan, they added 600 pounds to the trains last season, and this extra weight greatly increased the speed of the ride. In Orion’s case, when it is running at half capacity or less, that is the reduction of 16+ riders which is probably about a reduction of 2,000 pounds. Without a doubt, Orion would run faster at full capacity.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

For Leviathan, they added 600 pounds to the trains last season, and this extra weight greatly increased the speed of the ride. In Orion’s case, when it is running at half capacity or less, that is the reduction of 16+ riders which is probably about a reduction of 2,000 pounds. Without a doubt, Orion would run faster at full capacity.

Wow that’s interesting. I made my first ever trip to Dollywood last weekend and it really made me wonder if my expierence on the rides was accurate to normalcy being that my only expierence was on half or less capacity (I was the only one on mystery mine). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bengalsguy23 said:

Wow that’s interesting. I made my first ever trip to Dollywood last weekend and it really made me wonder if my expierence on the rides was accurate to normalcy being that my only expierence was on half or less capacity (I was the only one on mystery mine). 

In addition to speed, rollercoasters also tend to run a bit more rough or rattly without full trains because they are not as snug against the track. In short, all rollercoasters are designed with full trains in mind, so no ride will run exactly as intended without full trains. That being said, I still think Orion is pretty awesome, and it certainly felt amazing even at half capacity. I can’t wait to experience it at full capacity as it should just be that much better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

In addition to speed, rollercoasters also tend to run a bit more rough or rattly without full trains because they are not as snug against the track. In short, all rollercoasters are designed with full trains in mind, so no ride will run exactly as intended without full trains. That being said, I still think Orion is pretty awesome, and it certainly felt amazing even at half capacity. I can’t wait to experience it at full capacity as it should just be that much better.

Oh no doubt. I rode Flight of Fear alone one time and it was borderline unrideable it jack hammered me around so bad. I felt bad for the ops who have to ride it alone every morning. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bengalsguy23 said:

Oh no doubt. I rode Flight of Fear alone one time and it was borderline unrideable it jack hammered me around so bad. I felt bad for the ops who have to ride it alone every morning. 

...and that last break run. Wowzers. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I agree with you.  I got a front row zen ride on El Toro last summer and it was painful.

• Like 2

2019 was my favorite year ever with Leviathan. The added weight on the zero car was a huge improvement, it was hauling on all 3 of my visits last year. On our final visit in late august using the fastlane for platinum renewal we rode it 10 times that day, it was phenomenal. Can't wait to get full train Orion rides, hopefully next year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, teenageninja said:

To all the people who complain about the "rattle" on the B&M coasters at the park, how do you tolerate Beast?

They probably don’t complain about it being unbearable but more likely just that it could be better. The Beast is definitely worse though. But worse than that, The Racer!!!! Holy crap that thing hurts my ribs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teenageninja said:

To all the people who complain about the "rattle" on the B&M coasters at the park, how do you tolerate Beast?

I think it’s all about expectations. When you ride The Beast, you expect to be beaten up a bit. When you ride a brand new B&M coaster, you expect it to be glossy smooth. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

They probably don’t complain about it being unbearable but more likely just that it could be better. The Beast is definitely worse though. But worse than that, The Racer!!!! Holy crap that thing hurts my ribs. 

Agree. I was on the wheels of a Racer car last year, and it was the first time in my life that I wasn't even halfway done with the ride and I wanted it to be over.  Ow, my head. Brain felt like it was sloshing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robt said:

Agree. I was on the wheels of a Racer car last year, and it was the first time in my life that I wasn't even halfway done with the ride and I wanted it to be over.  Ow, my head. Brain felt like it was sloshing.

I'm just the opposite. The Racer is bumpy but I can tolerate it. My last few trips on The Beast? Wasn't even 25% of the way through and I wanted it to be over. Three words: Are. Emm. See.

My friend went today and said Daimonbdack is rough is it

I haven’t ridden Diamondback this year but Diamondback has NEVER been rough. Some complain about a rattle and I’ve never felt it, and a rattle doesn’t mean rough. A example of a rough coaster would be The Beast.

54 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

I felt a huge rattle after the hammerhead all the may until the MCBR. Pure vibration. Not intolerable just not glossy. It's 11 years old now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It still doesn't quite feel like it's 11 yet. It'll be interesting to see how diamond back ages, and if it'll age like older B&M hypers (such as Apollo), or if we'll finally get that repaint job. Also don't know if Diamondback's longer trains or splash down contribute at all.

• Like 2