Orion Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

12 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Haven't read anyone say Orion is a horrible ride?

First of all, I don’t recall anybody saying Orion was a HORRIBLE ride. Second of all, I said the VAST MAJORITY of people love Orion! Some people have blatantly criticized Orion, but those people are honestly just entitled “enthusiasts” who can’t seem to get enthusiastic about a freaking GIGA COASTER! Some people can’t admit they had a great time on a coaster if it doesn’t have crazy lateral forces, -2 g of airtime, and a zero g stall. People who can’t have fun on a ride really shouldn’t be riding rides and throwing their negative opinions out there. And regarding El Toro and Skyrush, some people absolutely HATE those rides, especially Skyrush, but that doesn’t mean they are bad rides. It just means some people have different opinions. In Orion’s case, it will probably be a lot more universally loved because not only enthusiasts will find enjoyment in it, but the general public will enjoy it too. Sorry to break it to you, but a lot of the general public think El Toro and Skyrush are painful, but again, that doesn’t mean they are bad rides.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

-0.5 g's proves there is no strong airtime even on the speed hill.  Rides like skyrush and el toro have moments of ‐2.0g's.

Out of all the giga coasters you’ve ridden which has -2.0g’s of airtime? Just because it’s not ejector airtime doesn’t mean the airtime isn’t good.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

First of all, I don’t recall anybody saying Orion was a HORRIBLE ride. Second of all, I said the VAST MAJORITY of people love Orion! Some people have blatantly criticized Orion, but those people are honestly just entitled “enthusiasts” who can’t seem to get enthusiastic about a freaking GIGA COASTER! Some people can’t admit they had a great time on a coaster if it doesn’t have crazy lateral forces, -2 g of airtime, and a zero g stall. People who can’t have fun on a ride really shouldn’t be riding rides and throwing their negative opinions out there. And regarding El Toro and Skyrush, some people absolutely HATE those rides, especially Skyrush, but that doesn’t mean they are bad rides. It just means some people have different opinions. In Orion’s case, it will probably be a lot more universally loved because not only enthusiasts will find enjoyment in it, but the general public will enjoy it too. Sorry to break it to you, but a lot of the general public think El Toro and Skyrush are painful, but again, that doesn’t mean they are bad rides.

Where is all this coming from?  I apologize that you're taking it this way.  We were just commenting on the ride forces.

I took my 2 nieces and  2 nephews age 8-12 to the park yesterday (who have never been on a Giga OR a Hyper coaster) and after riding Orion and Diamondback I asked them what they liked better...

2 votes for Diamondback 

2 for Orion 

but all agreed both were awesome rides. I’ve been on all but one of the giga coasters (just missing Red Force)  and I still rank Orion at #5 of the 6 I’ve been on.  
1) Fury

2) Millie

3) Leviathan 

4) Steel Dragon 

5) Orion

6) i305

I personally enjoy Steel Dragon just slightly more than Orion as I’m a fan of the big hills and airtime (I put i305 at #6 because I got a headache) BUT the kids and I absolutely loved Orion and had a great time. It doesn’t have to be the #1 coaster to still be super amazing. They couldn’t wait to tell all of their friends they’ve been on it and THATS what Kings Island was going for. Mission accomplished!  

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Where is all this coming from?  I apologize that you're taking it this way.  We were just commenting on the ride forces.

I probably ranted too much on that, but you had said that people were claiming Orion was a HORRIBLE ride which I think is a little to extreme. In the end, it is not worth arguing over, and I apologize for escalating the disagreement.

2 hours ago, DonHelbig said:

Shake, Rattle & Roll debuted 45 years ago. Guests loved it! Today its opening would result in a thread comparing it to other similar type rides, debates about the ride's colors, the lighting package, how the queue was set up, etc. Once upon a time, people just enjoyed the ride. 

74D0E5AB-BE5A-4D0E-9431-34C6867B6FFD.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I probably ranted too much on that, but you had said that people were claiming Orion was a HORRIBLE ride which I think is a little to extreme. In the end, it is not worth arguing over, and I apologize for escalating the disagreement.

I was saying that no has has been saying its horrible lol

26 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Although the park isn't really open at night this month, if you're in the Mason area and you drive past the park tonight you might want to take a look at the new guy.  Just trust me.

Is the park doing a special Orion lighting sequence? That would be really cool!

35 minutes ago, Joshua said:

"AND WE LOVED IT!!"

On a related note, Carvey voices a character in The Secret Life of Pets that is pretty much this character, but as a dog. 

I have a bunch of those animal movies on my server I am behind on.  9 Lives with Walken, A Dogs Journey, etc.  It is kind of like my Steam library, there are more games I haven’t played than ones I have played.  

Heading tot he park shortly. Hoping to get a ride on onion tonight. But if not it’s ok.  With the no loose items thing, is it ok for me to hold on to my glasses or is that a no no also?  I can leave a lot of things behind. But my sight is not one I’m comfy leaving. 

2 minutes ago, AnyPancakes said:

Heading tot he park shortly. Hoping to get a ride on onion tonight. But if not it’s ok.  With the no loose items thing, is it ok for me to hold on to my glasses or is that a no no also?  I can leave a lot of things behind. But my sight is not one I’m comfy leaving. 

I’ve worn sunglasses on it and been okay. 

Yeah. Sunglasses stay on. Then again, I wear $7 plastic sunglasses from Bargain Hunt. Whether you want to risk your prescription or Oakleys is up to you. 

I’m disappointed, I figured you would get the $1 ones at Dollar Tree. Lol

Taken today from the front seat

ee08de9446af0a5b09084527b5e18751.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkac558041dc1596905a8e00eee5b77cc4.jpg

bff13ae138b7eb852d6b6c10fe493951.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

So if someone thinks differently they are entitled?  I will write that down for future reference.  2020 has taught me it is very important to pick a tribe and hate the other tribe.

6 hours ago, dbackdreams said:

I got trouble and grounded but we got to go to King's island and I rode Daimonbdack in the front back. Sooooo much fun yay!!!!! It was awesome!!!!??

I'm with you. Riding Diamondback in the front and back rows is awesome!

• Thanks 1

Really cool that someone tracked G forces on Orion. I did it for Leviathan (just to compare), strongest positive G's I got was 4.5Gs, strongest negative G's was -0.8G's (speed hill). I was sitting in the far left seat, row 2 when I took it. I did not do this for Fury 325 sadly. 

• Like 1

I have ridden Orion six times. Twice in the front, middle, and back rows. For me, the front row is awesome. The ninety mile-per-hour wind in my face is very exhilarating. The middle and back rows were a tad lackluster, perhaps because the ride has little airtime (maybe less than 10 total seconds). For airtime, the back row of Diamondback is my choice at Kings Island. However, comparing Orion and Diamondback is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both roller coasters, but very different and in many good ways.

@electricsun and I rode Orion in the back row, then we went and rode DB in the back row. You can most definitely feel the difference with the 85 ft. Orion throws you here and there, and that helix gets me every time.  Just enough g's to feel it in your head. (Not like i305's first turn which I almost hate with the grey out I get.)

Like @NegativeGs just said, you can not compare them. Designed to give totally different ride experiences.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

@electricsun and I rode Orion in the back row, then we went and rode DB in the back row. You can most definitely feel the difference with the 85 ft. Orion throws you here and there, and that helix gets me every time.  Just enough g's to feel it in your head. (Not like i305's first turn which I almost hate with the grey out I get.)

Like @NegativeGs just said, you can not compare them. Designed to give totally different ride experiences.

Okay, am I alone in greying out in O’s helix? It’s done it to me almost every time. 

Now 305... that’s a different beast. 

7 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Okay, am I alone in greying out in O’s helix? It’s done it to me almost every time. 

I've ridden it 9 times or so now and never once greyed out, or even started to. If you put your hands up, you can notice the feeling of blood rushing into your hands after the sideways airtime hill, but that's about it lol

29 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I've not 'greyed' out on Orion's helix. The upward helix on the Backlot Stunt Coaster feels more extreme to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

So if someone thinks differently they are entitled?  I will write that down for future reference.  2020 has taught me it is very important to pick a tribe and hate the other tribe.

I apologize as my response did come off differently than I wanted it to. People are allowed to have different opinions. Our opinions make us who we are. When it comes to rollercoasters, people are also allowed and encouraged to have their own opinions. If we all had the same opinions on rollercoasters, there would be no need for discussion sites like this. Some people enjoy rides, others don’t and that is okay! My response was more geared towards enthusiasts who don’t seem to find the fun in any rides if it does not satisfy their needs for intensity. I am more referring to those enthusiasts who say Orion is a HORRIBLE ride as they can’t seem to get enjoyment out of ride even if it isn’t a perfect ride. I get everyone has their own opinions, and I respect each and every one of them. I just think that enthusiasts need to ride rollercoasters with a more open mind and enjoy rides for what they are. When it comes to Orion, I think enthusiasts should enjoy Orion for what it is instead of making fun of it and dismissing it. Again, I apologize for not properly respecting other people’s opinions, and I encourage people to form their own opinions on rides regardless of what others say. I also encourage people to ride rides with an open mind and not have a set definition of the perfect rollercoaster in your head because you may find yourself surprised with a rollercoaster you thought you would never like.

• Like 3