Orion Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

2 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

I rode Orion 14 times Friday. Got a couple rides at night in too. I have only rode 3 gigas so far and I'd rank it dead last behind Fury 325 and Millennium Force. My very first ride was front row and I really was not impressed at all. Next 3 were back row. This is a back row coaster. The only really good front row ride I had was the one night ride. The air time is much stronger in the back. I wish the lift hill didn't slow as you are about to crest over it. I also wonder if anything could change with full trains next year but I doubt it. That does not seem to matter much with B&M's. I have anyways preferred the longer Diamondback style trains but I understand why they use the shorter trains. Overall after 14 rides I think the ride is way too short and I still can't make my mind up if its better than Diamondback. I'm leaning toward no and that one surprises me. I had 2 rides on Diamondback that same day and got more airtime and those 2 rides were in my opinion just as good as any of my 14 on Orion.

Everyone's got a different opinion, It just all depends on what you're looking for in a ride....There are Cedar Point ride ops who come down to Kings Island and think it blows Millennium Force out of the water and even like it better than Fury...some who have ridden over 500 coasters thinks it the 2nd best B&M coaster and feels it easily the best ride in the park......and yet for others it's just not giving them what they want (I seriously think some people wanted the Euthanasia coaster)....I guess a ride can't do everything for everybody all the time

• Like 3

I got to ride Orion 5 times on July 29th, once in the very back, 3 times somewhere in the middle, and once in the very front. This was my first B&M giga, so I won't be able to compare it to Leviathan or Fury. My first ride was in the very back seat, and that drop is INCREDIBLE in the back seat. I've always loved Millennium Force for it's drop, but the drop on Orion just felt longer before it leveled out. The rest of the ride felt a little sluggish from the back, although it was our first ride of the day and it hadn't really heated up yet. My last ride of the day was in the front seat. This might be the only non-inverting coaster I've been on that's better in the front seat. Lot's of force at the bottom of the drop, the speed hill gave a little lateral G along with the airtime, you don't notice the trim's as hard in the front, and Orion's belt felt pretty forceful all the way through. Overall, it's a fun ride, and it looks really good. I'm surprised that with such a large brake run that right when it got to the brakes it was hitting them pretty hard... you'd think that could be done a lot smoother

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnakePlissken said:

I rode Orion 14 times Friday. Got a couple rides at night in too. I have only rode 3 gigas so far and I'd rank it dead last behind Fury 325 and Millennium Force. My very first ride was front row and I really was not impressed at all. Next 3 were back row. This is a back row coaster. The only really good front row ride I had was the one night ride. The air time is much stronger in the back. I wish the lift hill didn't slow as you are about to crest over it. I also wonder if anything could change with full trains next year but I doubt it. That does not seem to matter much with B&M's. I have anyways preferred the longer Diamondback style trains but I understand why they use the shorter trains. Overall after 14 rides I think the ride is way too short and I still can't make my mind up if its better than Diamondback. I'm leaning toward no and that one surprises me. I had 2 rides on Diamondback that same day and got more airtime and those 2 rides were in my opinion just as good as any of my 14 on Orion.

So why did you ride orion 14x and Diamondback twice?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1176Frankie said:

Seems Orion is better in the front seat at the moment (skip to 14:02 to 15:02). Seems when the trains are full you'll get whipped over the hills more in the back seat improving the experience there

"Mid afternoon....front row...one of the best rides I've ever experienced on a roller coaster. That was insane."

Doesn't sound too shabby to me....

This dude is the expert? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

This dude is the expert? 

He's probably indicative of your average intelligent park goer.....goes to a few parks here and there but his life isn't based around visiting amusement parks....(which is similar to 99.99% of the people who will ever ride Orion)

So why did you ride orion 14x and Diamondback twice?

14 times  does not make it the best ride or better than Diamondback and I think you are trying to imply that. I drove 2 hours to ride Orion and to ride it at night. I bought my all season Fast Lane last year with Orion in mind. It takes several rides in different seats to get a good opinion of a new ride. During the day I took my time and went around to all the rides I loved and rode them 2-3 times. Then about 8pm on all I rode was Orion and I think I rode it 9 time in a row. Friday was also my first rides on Orion ever. Would I hop in the car right now and go ride Orion again? No. I feel like I have to try and defend the comment I made earlier and I wish I could just delete it as it would be much easier otherwise my comment or "review" which it really isn't was just made invalid by riding Orion more than Diamondback.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 1:39 PM, coaster sally said:

Gotta remember, this was the same group that was so out of touch that they thought no one would notice if they cut almost all midnight closes in their pre-pandemic schedule. 

Then Tweeted promoting night rides. As in, people would want that. Ya thank? 

People don’t care about being there at night, but as soon as they’re open until 10:00 they have their first non-humiliating crowds of the season? Ya think? 

Perhaps if anyone in marketing besides Don spent any time in the park they’d know the sh-t they’re trying to sell.  Ya think? 

The arrogance out of that place is astounding sometimes. 

I never thought I’d say this, but I’m actually rooting for layoffs. I think a clean sleight is the only solution. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Gotta remember, this was the same group that was so out of touch that they thought no one would notice if they cut almost all midnight closes in their pre-pandemic schedule. 

People don’t care about being there at night, but as soon as they’re open until 10:00 they have their first non-humiliating crowds of the season? Ya think? 

Perhaps if anyone in marketing besides Don spent any time in the park they’d know the sh-t they’re trying to sell.  Ya think? 

I never thought I’d say this, but I’m actually rooting for layoffs. I think a clean sleight is the only solution. 

Don't forget they cut all 1am Haunt closes too and that has been a tradition for years to stay open till 1am. I love my night rides and 10pm during the summer just isn't usually good enough. The sky isn't completely dark until 9:30pm. But hey its still the one thing they do better than Kentucky Kingdom or Holiday World.

• Like 3

Just now, SnakePlissken said:

Don't forget they cut all 1am Haunt closes too and that has been a tradition for years to stay open till 1am. I love my night rides and 10pm during the summer just isn't usually good enough. The sky isn't completely dark until 9:30pm. But hey its still the one thing they do better than Kentucky Kingdom or Holiday World.

Fearfest was open until 12a for years. Several times under Paramount they pushed back closing until 1a several times because of the crowds. 

Cedar Fair made it 1am nightly for a reason. 

Maybe they forgot why. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Fearfest was open until 12a for years. Several times under Paramount they pushed back closing until 1a several times because of the crowds. 

Cedar Fair made it 1am nightly for a reason. 

Maybe they forgot why. 

Cedar Point does midnight Haunt closes and the parking lot is madness. If you get there early like I did last year and park near GateKeeper you may have to sit for 2 hours. Close at midnight and everybody stays till midnight. Close at 1am and the place seems to start to clear out at midnight making leaving the place so much better.

• Like 2

I think that starting next year Kings Island should stay open until midnight at least one night per week during their operating season (Friday would be best)

Kings Island has so many good night rides yet due to closing at 10 pm  you really only have time for 1 per visit.....If they were open until midnight then you could get in 5-7 night rides....Orion, The Beast, Mystic Timbers, Banshee....heck even rides like The Bat and Adventure Express take on a whole new meaning at night and give phenomenal rides. That way you'd get all that goodness in one night...

I can only imagine the electricity in the park on a late Friday night with everyone scurrying around to get these rides in...be quite the scene (would probably attract a lot more high school/junior high kids also)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

This. This exactly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

Whew, there are some hot takes in this thread.  I like it. 

I figure the 10pm closes were just an idea to try to drive up attendance.  I wonder if it is actually working?

From an outsider’s perspective:

It was and it is.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you that Kings Island is out of touch with its fans. In my opinion, Kings Island is one of the few parks that actually listens to its guests and and invests in nostalgia. This can be seen with the recent addition of the sorely missed antique cars, the refurbishment of International Street, and the restoration of the Festhaus Glockenspiel. Kings Island knew its long time fans greatly missed attractions like the antique cars and the glockenspiel, so they invested in beinging them back. Also, Kings Island invested $30 million into a brand new giga coaster, answering fans’ constant pleas to add such a coaster. In terms of cutting midnight hours pre-pandemic, Kings Island likely realized that it was more financially viable to operate fewer hours, producing more profit. We have to remember that Cedar Fair is a BUSINESS first and foremost. Kings Island looks at what days and hours they are not as busy, so they can make adjustments in future calandars to make a more sustainable profit. This is also why we saw them running with very limited hours when they reopened. Kings Island knew that attendance would be much lower, and knowing how long guests usually spend at the park, they knew that it made more sense to reduce operating costs to maximize profit. This is why almost every park that has reopened has cut their hours, not just Kings Island. Of course, guests expressed their criticism with Kings Island not being open late, and the park listened to this feedback, adding later closures with less operating days, still trying to maximize profit. The park advertised night rides because they know their fans had been asking for them, and when guests complained that lines were closing early, making night rides harder, Kings Island followed up the next weekend and let guests enter the lines as late as they would like. All in all, Kings Island really does value its guests’ feedback and critisism, and I think the park tries to make descisions that satisfy guests as much as possible while also being financially viable.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Completed my 14th trip on Orion this evening. I have rode it 2x in the front, 9 in the very back, and 3 in the middle.  The front is most intense ride in the park. The wind whipping your face, and staring down the 300ft drop is intense. I did gray out a little on the helix tonight on the front. Very forceful. The middle I feel you're just along for the ride. Nice ejector air on the speed hill, but nothing amazing.  The back is a lot of fun feels like you're holding on a runaway train. The first drop is very forceful which feels like you're getting popped out of your seat. The airtime is long and drawn out on the return hills, and the helix seems like it last forever. The last turn and hill to break run makes it feel like you will shot into the woods.  The elements of Orion are fun, and fast. That is pretty much all I ask for.  To compare it Fury or Millennium Force isn't fair. They're closer to the ground, and feel like you're in a race car. Orion feels like you are in a plane soaring above.  I do enjoy the drop on Orion more so than Millennium Force it is steeper and feels like a free fall. Fury's drop feels like you've been shot out of canon. I am glad Kings Island has their giga coaster. It will bring thrills for years to come. It is a crowd pleaser, and very fun.  

My giga rankings

1. Fury 325 longer, faster, taller my overall favorite coaster.

2. Orion the drop and ejector air is amazing.

3. Millennium Force it is a speed demon, but get better seat belts, rode it twice last week, got kicked off the third time for my seat belt not fastening. 

yet to ride

Intimidator 305 supposed to ride this year, but will in 2021.

Leviathan will be rode in 2022.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you that Kings Island is out of touch with its fans. In my opinion, Kings Island is one of the few parks that actually listens to its guests and and invests in nostalgia. This can be seen with the recent addition of the sorely missed antique cars, the refurbishment of International Street, and the restoration of the Festhaus Glockenspiel. Kings Island knew its long time fans greatly missed attractions like the antique cars and the glockenspiel, so they invested in beinging them back. Also, Kings Island invested $30 million into a brand new giga coaster, answering fans’ constant pleas to add such a coaster. In terms of cutting midnight hours pre-pandemic, Kings Island likely realized that it was more financially viable to operate fewer hours, producing more profit. We have to remember that Cedar Fair is a BUSINESS first and foremost. Kings Island looks at what days and hours they are not as busy, so they can make adjustments in future calandars to make a more sustainable profit. This is also why we saw them running with very limited hours when they reopened. Kings Island knew that attendance would be much lower, and knowing how long guests usually spend at the park, they knew that it made more sense to reduce operating costs to maximize profit. This is why almost every park that has reopened has cut their hours, not just Kings Island. Of course, guests expressed their criticism with Kings Island not being open late, and the park listened to this feedback, adding later closures with less operating days, still trying to maximize profit. The park advertised night rides because they know their fans had been asking for them, and when guests complained that lines were closing early, making night rides harder, Kings Island followed up the next weekend and let guests enter the lines as late as they would like. All in all, Kings Island really does value its guests’ feedback and critisism, and I think the park tries to make descisions that satisfy guests as much as possible while also being financially viable.

Do you know the process by which, from farm to plate, something like the Glockenspiel makes the park money? I’m not talking down to you or anything, I just need to know whether you simply disagree with me or if we are defining “out of touch” differently. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Do you know the process by which, from farm to plate, something like the Glockenspiel makes the park money? I’m not talking down to you or anything, I just need to know whether you simply disagree with me or if we are defining “out of touch” differently. 

I would define “out of touch” as a business not listening to its customers, likely alienating long-time fans, and in my opinion I would not use this to describe Kings Island. Kings Island definitely does make money off of their new additions, but again, they are a business. The park listened to guests’ calls for them to bring back the antique cars and the glockenspiel when they simply could have invested in a new flat ride that would probably engage more of the general public. They built a giga when they could have had the same return on investment for a much less expensive ride. Kings Island operates first and foremost as a business, but they try to find that middle ground where they can best meet the requests of the fans while also staying profitable. However, I agree with you that the park does make mistakes sometimes, and I welcome your criticism. Through guest feedback, whether it is negative or positive, the park can make changes to better accommodate its guests’ needs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I didn't like when a kic user @cdubbs727 commented before park opening day that since reservations started at 1030 the parking lot should open earlier and the user got a sarcastic response from KIPR and in actuality the kic user was correct cause opening day was a mess.

Kings Island should have responded in a better way (what they did is likely inexcusable though I never saw their response), but they did listen to not only his but others’ comments about opening day. After opening day, they started opening not only the parking tolls earlier but the whole park as well. Negative criticism helps the park, but they just need to admit their mistakes and make the proper changes not defend their mistakes and quietly make changes while informing nobody. I definitely think the park listens and cares about what its guests have to say, but I do agree that the park could be more transparent about changes in park policy. For instance, Kings Island started off closing lines early at night, guests complained, the park changed this policy, but they tried to act like nothing happened at all.

32 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Kings Island should have responded in a better way (what they did is likely inexcusable though I never saw their response), but they did listen to not only his but others’ comments about opening day. After opening day, they started opening not only the parking tolls earlier but the whole park as well. Negative criticism helps the park, but they just need to admit their mistakes and make the proper changes not defend their mistakes and quietly make changes while informing nobody. I definitely think the park listens and cares about what its guests have to say, but I do agree that the park could be more transparent about changes in park policy. For instance, Kings Island started off closing lines early at night, guests complained, the park changed this policy, but they tried to act like nothing happened at all.

@chibul was mocked by a jack Nicholson youtube gif that said "whatever you say" @chibul ended up being correct.  Pretty arrogant IMO.

Also things should be thought out better before making people upset.  Maybe start a focus group of a few enthusiasses.  They would be able to recognize closing off the line of your new 30 million investment an hour before close when you have been hyping night rides probably isn't a great decision.

Screenshot_20200812-091205_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bansheelover said:

Completed my 14th trip on Orion this evening. I have rode it 2x in the front, 9 in the very back, and 3 in the middle.  The front is most intense ride in the park. The wind whipping your face, and staring down the 300ft drop is intense. I did gray out a little on the helix tonight on the front. Very forceful. The middle I feel you're just along for the ride. Nice ejector air on the speed hill, but nothing amazing.  The back is a lot of fun feels like you're holding on a runaway train. The first drop is very forceful which feels like you're getting popped out of your seat. The airtime is long and drawn out on the return hills, and the helix seems like it last forever. The last turn and hill to break run makes it feel like you will shot into the woods.  The elements of Orion are fun, and fast. That is pretty much all I ask for.  To compare it Fury or Millennium Force isn't fair. They're closer to the ground, and feel like you're in a race car. Orion feels like you are in a plane soaring above.  I do enjoy the drop on Orion more so than Millennium Force it is steeper and feels like a free fall. Fury's drop feels like you've been shot out of canon. I am glad Kings Island has their giga coaster. It will bring thrills for years to come. It is a crowd pleaser, and very fun.  

This is probably the most intelligent review I've seen of Orion....Orion makes you feel like you're an eagle in flight....you feel like you're gracefully soaring and then swooping down for prey....it's an awesome beautiful sensation and different from other gigas....

I don't think KI will need another coaster for the next 5-6 years, I'd like to see the return of some rides like the Flying Eagles, Der Spinnen Keggers and rides like that.  When a new coaster is added I'd like to see the new S&S Axis prototype be put into The Vortex spot and painted the exact same colors as Vortex...seems like it would be a good fit there after the 2 Arrows that preceded it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@cdubbs727 was mocked by a jack Nicholson youtube gif that said "whatever you say".  @cdubbs727 ended up being correct.  Pretty arrogant IMO.

Also things should be thought out better before making people upset.  Maybe start a focus group of a few enthusiasses.  They would be able to recognize closing off the line of your new 30 million investment an hour before close when you have been hyping night rides.

Man some of you guys need to lighten up a bit....You have to remember that these employees and executives have a passion for the rides and the park just as much as the public and I'm glad that they freely express their opinions and show a sense of humor....better than being all stiff and official like a politician

Some people are just too easily offended.....snowflakes

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

@chibul was mocked by a jack Nicholson youtube gif that said "whatever you say" @chibul ended up being correct.  Pretty arrogant IMO.

Also things should be thought out better before making people upset.  Maybe start a focus group of a few enthusiasses.  They would be able to recognize closing off the line of your new 30 million investment an hour before close when you have been hyping night rides probably isn't a great decision.

I think Don Helbig was trying to be more funny than rude, and while not everything Kings Island does is perfect, this year we should cut them some slack. The park is having to rethink all aspects of how they operate, and there are bound to be some mistakes. The best thing we can do is give Kings Island our honest feedback whether it is negative or positive.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, RayFields said:

I don't think KI will need another coaster for the next 5-6 years, I'd like to see the return of some rides like the Flying Eagles, Der Spinnen Keggers and rides like that.  When a new coaster is added I'd like to see the new S&S Axis prototype be put into The Vortex spot and painted the exact same colors as Vortex...seems like it would be a good fit there after the 2 Arrows that preceded it

Then all you'd need is an RMC....something like Outlaw Run but with a longer ride length to take you through the forest to complement Mystic Timbers and The Beast.....sure would be a rad ride lineup

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coaster sally said:

That wasn't the first time nor will it be the last time Don has acted that way on this forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think Don Helbig was trying to be more funny than rude, and while not everything Kings Island does is perfect, this year we should cut them some slack. The park is having to rethink all aspects of how they operate, and there are bound to be some mistakes. The best thing we can do is give Kings Island our honest feedback whether it is negative or positive.

I didn't laugh.

I'm guessing no I'll intent was meant but If you come out of left field with responses like that when their is little history of that behavior it leaves me to question. If he were running an account like Kentucky Kingdoms twitter a response like that would be much more forgiving/funny/expected

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1