Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really? When did 5,282 feet of track (Diamondback) and 5,318 feet of track (Behemoth) become MUCH longer than 5,321 (Orion)? 

Shake, Rattle & Roll debuted 45 years ago. Guests loved it! Today its opening would result in a thread comparing it to other similar type rides, debates about the ride's colors, the lighting packa

Get em @DonHelbig

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Apparently FUNtv doesn't have much love for Orion either:P

IMG_20200802_175751984.jpg

The only thing that would top that would be if Firehawk and Vortex were options. :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IceePirate said:

Can't speak for yesterday, but on the 4th we cut the line off early in order to cycle everyone off by 945. I'd expect this trend to continue honestly since KI might not want to pay the additional labor to essentially have employees sit and watch the fireworks.

Its disapointing.  Maybe they should move the fireworks launch pad or move to a unique light show end of night parade?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Its disapointing.  Maybe they should move the fireworks launch pad or move to a unique light show end of night parade?

Brilliant idea to cut the line early on your new attraction....

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, coaster sally said:

Brilliant idea to cut the line early on your new attraction....

You are always just a ball of sunshine. As a long time poster used to say, "Safety is Paramount." Even when it is not convenient. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

You are always just a ball of sunshine. As a long time poster used to say, "Safety is Paramount." Even when it is not convenient. 

Like fof said maybe change to a light show or move the fireworks.  Does it make sense to close down both flag ship rides?  What other regional parks have nightly foreworks?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zader said:

Diamondback, Mystic, and Banshee are all still open and I would consider those flagship rides

Well the park is still hyping orion night rides.  Won't people be dissapointed?  Also I will double down on Orion and Beast(night rides) being the park's flagship attractions.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coaster sally said:

Well the park is still hyping orion night rides.  Won't people be dissapointed?

Can you please point me to where the park is hyping up night rides on Orion? This is the first I have heard of them doing this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, loganhubbard said:

Thanks, it definitely seems odd for the park to promote night rides and close off the line before sunset.

Well, the line wasn't closed before sunset. But it was certainly a very short window of time. Maybe twenty minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MoreFogPlease said:

Well, the line wasn't closed before sunset. But it was certainly a very short window of time. Maybe twenty minutes.

Sorry, should have said potentially close off the line before sunset. If the park is crowded, this could definitely occur.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a great ride but short. Wait times today were 20 mins around noon then 5 mins at 2:30ish. 
 

The ride is about sideways hills.   Which are great.   Amazing view of nothing but trees ahead  at the top of the lift hill.     The helix is a little tight and causes some graying.    I prefer the long swooping helix on Fury. 
 

Crew is top notch.  Little or no stacking with 3 trains running.  The first train I rode never stopped and was out of the station just after the previous train crested the lift hill. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, super7 said:

It’s a great ride but short. Wait times today were 20 mins around noon then 5 mins at 2:30ish. 
 

The ride is about sideways hills.   Which are great.   Amazing view of nothing but trees ahead  at the top of the lift hill.     The helix is a little tight and causes some graying.    I prefer the long swooping helix on Fury. 
 

Crew is top notch.  Little or no stacking with 3 trains running.  The first train I rode never stopped and was out of the station just after the previous train crested the lift hill. 

Agree, rode it several times today with line starting at stairs. Short, but intense ride. I find DB has far more airtime, Orion is more force. They compliment each other

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, super7 said:

It’s a great ride but short. Wait times today were 20 mins around noon then 5 mins at 2:30ish. 
 

The ride is about sideways hills.   Which are great.   Amazing view of nothing but trees ahead  at the top of the lift hill.     The helix is a little tight and causes some graying.    I prefer the long swooping helix on Fury. 
 

Crew is top notch.  Little or no stacking with 3 trains running.  The first train I rode never stopped and was out of the station just after the previous train crested the lift hill. 

Yes, the ops are definitely a welcome change of pace from the infamous Diamondstack ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 9:53 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

You are always just a ball of sunshine. As a long time poster used to say, "Safety is Paramount." Even when it is not convenient. 

Yea, but Paramount doesnt run the park anymore...

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

Agree, rode it several times today with line starting at stairs. Short, but intense ride. I find DB has far more airtime, Orion is more force. They compliment each other

Finally rode it today.  Definitely felt too short.  I was in the back but did not experience any major g-forces, even in the upward helix.  The ride was smooth and fast but it really just felt like a slightly higher and shorter version of Diamondback, without the major airtime.  I love Diamondback's second hill, where it curves at the bottom and I feel the speed more noticeably.  Orion never had that kind of moment.  The one area that I enjoyed was the sideways banked (wave turn?) second hill as that felt funny, in a good way.  I enjoyed Millennium Force far more and I haven't been on any of B&M's other giga coasters to have a comparison.  Again, enjoyable but not actually a must-ride for me going forward.  Further, this does support my belief that it is probably time for Kings Island to bring in a different coaster manufacturer for their next ride.  The operations were running smooth as well, after a brief delay to start the day.  It was nice just to walk into the park and see the familiar sights of summer.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Skibum said:

 enjoyable but not actually a must-ride for me going forward.  Further, this does support my belief that it is probably time for Kings Island to bring in a different coaster manufacturer for their next ride.  

I get what you’re saying and I agree I want something that does it for me a little more at Kings Island for the next ride but my ride on Candymonium at Hersheypark was very telling on what the general public thinks. 
 

we were sitting on the break run when I heard the family behind me talking. “ it’s like a way better version of sky rush.” “ yeah sky rush is so rough it hurts. This ride is so much better” “Hersheypark is learning from their mistakes. Good job Hersheypark” then the family of four all proceeded to clap at what a good job Hershey did with their new attraction. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bengalsguy23 said:

I get what you’re saying and I agree I want something that does it for me a little more at Kings Island for the next ride but my ride on Candymonium at Hersheypark was very telling on what the general public thinks. 
 

we were sitting on the break run when I heard the family behind me talking. “ it’s like a way better version of sky rush.” “ yeah sky rush is so rough it hurts. This ride is so much better” “Hersheypark is learning from their mistakes. Good job Hersheypark” then the family of four all proceeded to clap at what a good job Hershey did with their new attraction. 

Agree completely.  Orion will chew through people, have a good line, and provide good rides to a lot of people.  Plus, it will help balance the park a little bit away from The Beast/Mystic/Diamondback triangle.  Plus, the area looks nice and has a better feel to it than when Firehawk was there.  So, it's a winner for the park in a whole bunch of ways.  My review was probably more the vantage point of someone who has been on a fair number of different coasters and likes when coasters feel different from each other.  Again, your points are completely valid.  No argument. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

I was able to ride it 3 more times. I usually prefer the front half of a train on most roller coasters but I jumped on the next to last seat and this was incredible. I love the back on Orion! What an amazing ride!

I only have one ride in on Orion, and it was in the 2nd row because that's where they put me, but I usually prefer front row on a launched coaster like FOF or Stunt Coaster, back row on everything else. I DID notice the increased drop time on Orion compared to Diamondback from the 2nd row, but I didn't notice the increased speed of Orion. Not from the 2nd row anyway. I can't wait to ride it in the back. My favorite ride experience at KI for many years now has been being pulled over the top of Diamondback's first lift hill from the back row. I look forward to experiencing that on Orion. On DB, I always get an adrenaline rush in the very back row getting yanked over the lift hill. It's become a "high" I very much look forward to.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I only have one ride in on Orion, and it was in the 2nd row because that's where they put me, but I usually prefer front row on a launched coaster like FOF or Stunt Coaster, back row on everything else. I DID notice the increased drop time on Orion compared to Diamondback from the 2nd row, but I didn't notice the increased speed of Orion. Not from the 2nd row anyway. I can't wait to ride it in the back. My favorite ride experience at KI for many years now has been being pulled over the top of Diamondback's first lift hill from the back row. I look forward to experiencing that on Orion. On DB, I always get an adrenaline rush in the very back row getting yanked over the lift hill. It's become a "high" I very much look forward to.

It did not feel like it pulled me over the top like Diamondback does. It for sure went over the top much quicker than the front but I did not feel that strong pull over like Diamondback does. I maybe need to ride it back there again and see

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

It did not feel like it pulled me over the top like Diamondback does. It for sure went over the top much quicker than the front but I did not feel that strong pull over like Diamondback does. I maybe need to ride it back there again and see

A train-full of people might help, but good feedback! Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 8:50 PM, jensenracing77 said:

It did not feel like it pulled me over the top like Diamondback does. It for sure went over the top much quicker than the front but I did not feel that strong pull over like Diamondback does. I maybe need to ride it back there again and see

 

I agree. I've ridden Orion in the back and barely feel any pull at all.  That is what I usually love about the back row of every coaster.   Don't know if it's because of a shorter train?  Or more than likely, because it's half empty? 

Front seat is the way to go to feel the speed on Orion. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems Orion is better in the front seat at the moment (skip to 14:02 to 15:02). Seems when the trains are full you'll get whipped over the hills more in the back seat improving the experience there

"Mid afternoon....front row...one of the best rides I've ever experienced on a roller coaster. That was insane."

Doesn't sound too shabby to me....

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I rode Orion 14 times Friday. Got a couple rides at night in too. I have only rode 3 gigas so far and I'd rank it dead last behind Fury 325 and Millennium Force. My very first ride was front row and I really was not impressed at all. Next 3 were back row. This is a back row coaster. The only really good front row ride I had was the one night ride. The air time is much stronger in the back. I wish the lift hill didn't slow as you are about to crest over it. I also wonder if anything could change with full trains next year but I doubt it. That does not seem to matter much with B&M's. I have anyways preferred the longer Diamondback style trains but I understand why they use the shorter trains. Overall after 14 rides I think the ride is way too short and I still can't make my mind up if its better than Diamondback. I'm leaning toward no and that one surprises me. I had 2 rides on Diamondback that same day and got more airtime and those 2 rides were in my opinion just as good as any of my 14 on Orion.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...