What's your favorite Kings Island memory?

Dj325

Do you have a favorite memory of Kings Island that you remember? Do you have a favorite Kings Island tradition? Is there a favorite event of yours that you got to experience at Kings Island? Is there a ride at Kings Island that holds a special place in your heart? 

• Like 1

hearing about "someone" buying Kings Island when i was 6 (5 years after it actually happened lol) and thinking that "someone" was some rich guy that who was gonna keep the park to himself. i remember looking at SOB and thinking "that means i wont get to ride that ever!". i was right, but for the wrong reasons

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

My 5 year streak of getting last ride of the year on Flight of Fear from 2012 to 2016 was an awesome memory. Riding Vortex and realizing inversions aren't so bad was also a major milestone for me. Finally, I remember getting one last ride in on Son of Beast before leaving for the night, knowing I would ride it many more times afterwards...unfortunately that was June 13, 2009, a couple days before SoB closed forever.

• Like 3

An event at Kings Island that I had a great time experiencing was a pretty recent one. It was the Orion First Riders event. I enjoyed getting to be one of the many first public riders on Orion. I got a total of eight rides on Orion. I recognized to YouTubers there. Logan, a.k.a the Coaster kid, and Paul from Ohio Valley Coasters. I was able

3 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

My 5 year streak of getting last ride of the year on Flight of Fear from 2012 to 2016 was an awesome memory. Riding Vortex and realizing inversions aren't so bad was also a major milestone for me. Finally, I remember getting one last ride in on Son of Beast before leaving for the night, knowing I would ride it many more times afterwards...unfortunately that was June 13, 2009, a couple days before SoB closed forever.

You got one of the last rides ever on Son of Beast! What was the ride like? What was the ride like? Was there any other times that you rode it when it still had the loop?

An event at Kings Island that I had a great time experiencing was a pretty recent one. It was the Orion First Riders event. I enjoyed getting to be one of the many first public riders on Orion. I got a total of eight rides on Orion. I recognized to YouTubers there. Logan, a.k.a the Coaster kid, and Paul from Ohio Valley Coasters. I was able
You got one of the last rides ever on Son of Beast! What was the ride like? What was the ride like? Was there any other times that you rode it when it still had the loop?
June 13 was the only time I ever rode it. I am forever grateful I got to ride it that night. If I remember correctly my friends and I rode it 3 times in a row. I got off each time with a smile. I never did get to experience it with the loop. As for the ride experience, there was just something different about being on a wooden coaster that massive. I can remember the deafening sound of the chain lift as we rose to the top. The drop was by far the best part of the ride. It seemed like you were going down that 214 foot drop forever as the maximum angle of descent was only 55.7° if my memory serves me. Was it rough? Absolutely. I would probably not enjoy it nearly as much now as I did as a chubby 8 year old with a lot of tolerance for rough coasters. I get why most adults felt the ride was too unbearable to ride. That's beside the point. I remember the train doing a lot of bouncing, especially in the valleys of each hill. While the ride was making a turn, there was a whole lot of shuffling. You should definitely check out some posts on here back from 2007 when the new trains were being discussed. Kings Island did a lot of work to make sure the Gerstlauer trains were able to work for Son of Beast. I will always look back on SoB fondly, and miss it dearly. I believe I have a picture of me on it somewhere; we've been looking for it for years. My mom always knew I loved a ride when I came running down the ramp asking her to buy the picture. Sonny was one of those rides for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- Got my first ride on Vortex and my first Beast night ride on the same night

- Lots of memories with my family from the mid-90's through early 2000's, particularly with my grandparents on the Tiques, water rides, and the smaller Coney flats

- Old school Waterworks with the family (especially with the Beach Boys music they used to play)

- Riding Vortex 6 times in a row at night without leaving my seat on one of the P&G buyouts (in 6-2 for those curious)

- My first time riding Top Gun/Bat (at night no less).  I went on a mad marathon of that when I first rode it, like 7-9 times, its the ride that really got me more comfortable with roller coasters (I wasn't a fan of them when I was much younger)

- As much as I wasn't a fan of the ride overall, my first time on SOB during a rescheduled Gold Pass holder event was a great experience (rescheduled due to the construction delays)

- The anticipation and build up to Banshee, attending the announcement (my first coaster announcement in person), and it all culminating in a 4 hour and 20 minute wait for it on opening day in 2014 and the start of one of my favorite seasons ever (also my first season meeting up with KICers, most of whom I'm still good friends with today), also being present and trying to attain being Banshee's 2,000,000th rider on closing day (probably rode it 7-10 times in a row)

- @malem and I doing a Coney flat marathon, wiped us both out

- My 2nd ride on DB on opening day in 2010 after having to take 2 seasons off due to my surgeries, more so my first ride on Firehawk that same day since my surgeries were on my abdomen

- The original QTV, lots of 90s music brings back fond memories of my earlier KI ventures (or PKI as it were)

• Like 3

My favorite was the Orion First Riders event. I enjoyed getting to be one of the many first public riders on Orion. I got a total of eight rides on Orion! I recognized two YouTubers. Logan from Thrills United, and Paul from Ohio Valley Coasters. I was able to get a picture with Logan, but not Paul. I did however get a picture with a YouTuber who's channel is called Coaster Challenge. He got to be on the first public train during the event. Riding Orion eight times, meeting some YouTubers and getting to talk to some of them, that, that was a lot of fun! I don't think that I'll ever, ever forget that night.

My favorite memory at KI will probably always be riding Diamondback for the first time (which is what made me get over my fear of rollercoasters and become an enthusiast). I still remember how terrified I was when I saw the restraint was just a simple lap bar with no seatbelt. Going up that lift hill for the first time was absolutely terrifying for me due to how steep it was.

• Like 2

One ride that holds a special place in my heart is one that got removed recently. That ride is none other than The Vortex. On opening day 2014 when I was 10 years old, I had finally reached the 48 inch height requirement, so my dad decided to take me to The Racer for my first "Big coaster." When we got up to the station, me and my dad got in the row behind the front. When we started going up the lift hill, all of the sudden my dad says, "Hey Dylan look how high we are!" After that, I look down and started screaming at the top of my lungs the rest of the ride. After that, I wouldn't ride another rollercoaster again until 2015 when I rode The Vortex and conquered my fear. Thank you Vortex! I will always remember you!

9 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

My favorite memory at KI will probably always be riding Diamondback for the first time (which is what made me get over my fear of rollercoasters and become an enthusiast). I still remember how terrified I was when I saw the restraint was just a simple lap bar with no seatbelt. Going up that lift hill for the first time was absolutely terrifying for me due to how steep it was.

Dude, me too! Diamondback is and always will be my #1 rollercoaster that I've ever ridden!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dj325 said:

My favorite was the Orion First Riders event. I enjoyed getting to be one of the many first public riders on Orion. I got a total of eight rides on Orion! I recognized two YouTubers. Logan from Thrills United, and Paul from Ohio Valley Coasters. I was able to get a picture with Logan, but not Paul. I did however get a picture with a YouTuber who's channel is called Coaster Challenge. He got to be on the first public train during the event. Riding Orion eight times, meeting some YouTubers and getting to talk to some of them, that, that was a lot of fun! I don't think that I'll ever, ever forget that night.

I take it you like the Youtubers? ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I take it you like the Youtubers? ;)

Yep. I recently watched the video from Thrills United were they pulled that big prank on Taylor Bybee. It was super funny.

Top 3 favorite memories:

1)My first ever trip to the park, on Sunday, September 9th, 2006.  Visiting friends in Indy for the weekend, getting the lay of the land before deciding whether or not to move, and decided Saturday evening on a whim to take the drive down the next day.  My adopted home park was Worlds Of Fun (one of Mamba's first riders), It was long before I knew about any of this, and the park was very enjoyable.  Notable key points from the visit were A)seeing SoBs train parked midpoint on the lift hill, and walking around the ride looking at it for the visual work of art that it was and also noting there would be absolutely no way in Hades Id ever willingly ride it, B)Being absolutely astounded at the experience that The Beast was, and then even moreso later during a night ride before leaving the park, C)Waiting in an hour line for Tomb Raider, only to see what it was when the doors opened and walking my happy butt right through the row of seats and out the side exit, after my unfortunate friend had already locked herself into the seat (boy, the look I got for that one as she came out the exit :lol: ), and D)riding Flight of Fear for the first time... also my first ever launched coaster... and absolutely Loving it.

2)Diamondback Opening Day, as I was auction rider #253, and I got the spot on a complete fluke when a former member here contacted me via PM and asked if I would like to attend the event for the simple price being the driver (we both lived in Indy) since he won two seats and his Wife had to work last minute and could not attend.  The one other incredibly good thing that came of that is, had I not attended that event, Id have never had the opportunity in 2014 to meet @DJSkyFoxx, the young woman who has become my very best friend/little sister in every way but blood.

3a)Pride Night 2009, my first ever and one that holds many incredible memories.

3b)My October 2008  Beast night ride during Haunt, in very moist, foggy 46 degree weather (at the time my personal record for coldest coaster ride ever, my current record is a 38 degree morning Millie ride in October of 2013, Indyguy4KI can verify the temp as he was right beside me).

• Like 2

Probably my most fond memory is the boat ride into the giant television full of Hanna-Barbara animitronics.  It's so distant of a memory but certain things in there I remember so clearly.

So glad I got to ride The (original) Bat as well!! 

Of course, the first ride for my son on The Beast and Vortex and Flight Deck all in one day when he was FINALLY tall enough (with napkins in his shoes) at age 5 was pretty fun for me too...

I am torn between riding Phantom Theater when I was young with my brothers and a story that I will not post on a family friendly site.  The first one has me looking up povs of the ride monthly, the second has me replicating the experience once a year at either CP or KI.  

I have many fond memories of King's Island but one that really stands out is passholder preview day 2019. A 45 degree evening and pouring down rain all night. 5 hours of amazing rain rides on The Beast, Banshee, Mystic and Diamondback. Everything was walk on. I debated for days whether to go or not. I finally said heck at the worst I'll be able to marathon Flight of Fear. Whether it shuts down in rain or storms I still don't know for sure but I don't see why it would. So I put 3 of everything in the car as I was prepared for another rainy day on Sat too. I wore 2 hoodies and had a blast. Everybody needs to ride The Beast at least once in the pouring rain. Maybe I'm just nuts.

• Like 2

If there's one memory that I won't forget is one that I get reminded of every time I hear someone mention The Bat rollercoaster. One time I was at Kings Island, and I think my mom was on Banshee and my sister was with my grandpa on The Bat. I think my mom got off Banshee first. Once she got off, she met me waiting outside. My sister and my grandpa hadn't gotten off The Bat yet, I get it had a long line. Anyways, I finally see them coming out the exit. When I start walking towards my grandpa, all of the sudden, I look down at his pants and I see a bunch of HOLES torn into his pants! That's something you don't see every day! Now everytime I hear someone mention or talking about The Bat rollercoaster, that's one of the first things that comes to my head (^^) !

• Confused 1

My favorite memory from Kings Island is the first time I rode The Beast.  Up until that point, I had been on The Racer, and even Top Gun, but wasn`t completely thrilled about coasters.  I rode the ride with a neighborhood friend, Chris (who has since moved away).  His family was the reason we were there in October of 1995, as they had received some comp tickets and took my family and I.  I remember riding it, and it was unlike anything I had ever been on.  Hard to believe that it will be 25 years this October.  

Little did I know at the time, what was born that day.  My love of amusement parks has continued all these years.  I have spent 19 seasons working at Coney, countless trips to KI over the years, and even worked there for a couple of Haunt seasons.  I also ended up meeting my wife through Kings Island (that is a story for another day).  I have made some wonderful friends through both Coney and KI.  While I do not get to the park as often as I used to (having two young kids makes visits more brief, and has all but eliminated coaster trips that I used to go on, until they get taller), I still enjoy visiting the park, and now get to experience it through my kids eyes.  (I wish some of the attractions that were there when I was a kid were still there.  Hand powered cars anyone?  I loved those when I was a kid.

1 minute ago, CoastersRZ said:

My favorite memory from Kings Island is the first time I rode The Beast.  

[...]

I also ended up meeting my wife through Kings Island (that is a story for another day).

Any particular reason the latter isn't your favorite KI memory? ;)

Definitely the first time I rode The Beast so long ago...it truly was a monster coaster when it first opened and still is a must ride every time I'm at the park. It got me into coasters and I'm ever so thankful! I had a truly amazing days as a kid going between The Beast, The (original) Bat, The Demon and the original flyers all day long! Miss those Flying Eagles!!!! Think the last day/night getting to ride the Eagles, knowing they were going away, is one of my very best (and saddest) memories at the park too.

2 hours ago, raggedman07 said:

Did The Bat chew the holes?...what happened?...the suspense is killing me!

Well, I feel like The Bat has a vibration problem. Every time I've ridden The Bat, I've come off that ride with a really bad burning feeling on my nose. I guess his pants weren't able to withstand the vibrations and....tore.

My favorite was my first ride on Beast.   

It was the first year and during the running of the bulls.

I was there with 4 other friends and was going to ride alone.

This guy heard us talking and said to come with him to ride it.

We got in line and got the front seat for my first time.

I got off and he told me his name was Carl Eichelman.... Yes first ride on Beast was with the world record holder...

Never forget it.

• Like 3

• The illusiveness surrounding The Beast when I was a kid. Even though it had been around for over a decade, it felt very mysterious and intimidating all the way up to my first ride. The internet was very limited at the time, there was no YouTube to watch Ride POVs, and most of the ride is shrouded by trees. What I saw of it was on postcards and publicity photos that revealed little more than what I could already see with my own eyes. 
  • Riding Adventure Express and Top Gun when the first opened.
  • My first ride on Vortex where I looked straight down on one of the loops and refused to ride it for a few years. 
  • Spinning around in the Cauldrons, "speeding" on the Sunshine Turnpike, driving the Flintstones' bumper cars, scraping down the slide, and enjoying a HB-themed juice drink. 
  • Hearing Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and the Maestro's Cryptkeeper-esque taunts in the Phantom Theater queue.
  • "The Smurfs' Ride"
  • The excitement of Nickelodeon characters entering the park. 
  • Entering the park and being greeted by the sounds of The Addams Family score
  • Riding Flight Commander 
  • Not necessarily a good memory, but an interesting one nonetheless. I remember being at the park around the time of the big incident and distinctly remember being in line for some attraction and my parents saying "someone just died on Flight Commander." 

• Like 1