What's your favorite Kings Island memory?

Dj325

Riding Racer backwards with my Dad as a kid. 

Then after decades of not going. My wife took me and my first big roller coaster was Diamondback. First row. As we crested the lift hill she asked if I was ready. I held her hand and we leaned forward to look down. I said oh yeah... 

• Like 1

I've had lots of memorable days at the park; some include:

• The first time I rode Son of Beast, which got me over my fear of looping coasters
  • The first time I rode Flight of Fear (my first indoor coaster); I remember it being one of those limited operation days, so I didn't really have a choice as it was one of the only coasters open lol
  • The many times I've went to Spiritsong over the years (IIRC, I think one of the last opportunities I had to ride Son of Beast occurred when I was taking a break from the music); there was also that one time a few years ago I "won" (was actually given) concert tickets while in the park that day (lightning did not strike twice that next year lol)
  • Mystic Timbers announcement was pretty cool; also that Preview Night was the most crowded I've ever seen the park (I only rode The Bat and Mysti)!
  • Closing Day 2019 was epic - it was Vortex's Closing Day, one of my best friends met me at the park for a few hours and other things
  • NYE 2019- in light of what this year has brought with me not going to the park, that night was one HECK of a sendoff!!! :D

I'm sure there is more, that I just can't think of at the moment...

EDIT: Back when I played, playing Pokemon Go at the park. I did a few Community Days with friends (got my first Shiny ever) and during the first Winterfest, I got a Delibird (which was a limited time event!)! I remember waiting in line for the Charlie Brown Christmas Spectacular, checked my phone, got out of line and headed towards Action Zone. Once I caught it, I was so happy; I said that it was a "Winterfest miracle"!

• Like 2

June 7-9, 2009 trip. My friends and I, at age 24, made a trip to KI to ride Diamondback. Being from Buffalo, NY, i hadn't been to the park since 1997. From 92-97, I went every year as part of our yearly August vacation that also included Kennywood, Geauga Lake and CP. Parents broke up in 98, trips ended. When Diamondback opened, it was enough to convince my friends to add KI to our CP trip. Firehawk, Backlot, Invertigo and Son of Beast were all also new credits for me, and you guys know we JUST made it in time for SoB, as it closed forever later in the month. We had an awesome time, and I've been back with friends and/or my wife every year since. 

Also, this year would be up there. Two visits, July 4 and late August Saturday, great weather days, 10 rides on Orion, the park really did a nice job with the Covid rules/adherence and it just felt so much more "complete" than our experiences at Hershey, Great Adventure or even CP. The Fast Lane was a huge help this year with how few fast lanes have been in the park, but it was, without question, our favorite park this year. That even includes Silver Dollar City, which was great as well, but KI beats it for us. 

• Like 1

Definitely the first time my friend tricked me into going on Flight of Fear. As a kid the biggest ride I had conquered was Adventure Express. So on a cool crisp spring day when we didn't have school, my friend convinced me to join him on the first ride of the day (I had no idea about the launch), I shocked but thrilled at the experience of the ride and it's what really got me into roller coasters. It's been my favorite ride at the park since then and probably always will be.

• Like 1

One of my favorite memories was my getting to ride Vortex's last public train with six 1987 crew members on Closing Day last year. I had always thought about what it would be like to meet just ONE person from Vortex's original crew, and I met SIX! Needless to say, I was star-struck.

Working at Vortex and WindSeeker for three years was a big highlight. It was my dream to operate Vortex and be the one saying "All Clear," and that dream came true in July 2017.

And of course, I can't forget my first Vortex ride in 2010. I remember feeling so proud of myself for experiencing my first six inversions and asking my mom if I could ride again immediately after I got off!

This past weekend, my friend @Daisy1380#faced his fear of heights and rode Drop Tower and Orion for the first time. I got to witness those occasions and it was fun seeing his reactions during those rides! :lol: But in all seriousness, I'm really proud of him!

• Like 2

I'm going to date myself here - but a few of my favorites memories are:

- Winterfest 1986: seeing a light-up Christmas tree at the top of The Vortex lift, still under construction

- Riding the Tumblebug with my family, sliding side-to-side and laughing hysterically

- Racing my brother down the slide

- The feeling of riding Outer Limits for the first time without the shoulder restraints - my first multi-looper with a lap bar.

- The Smurf ride, especially the Winterfest version

I witnessed a ton of really cool firsts, and lasts, during my tenure at the park as an employee - but will never forget those family memories in the younger days.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 9:40 PM, silver2005 said:

My first time riding Top Gun/Bat (at night no less).  I went on a mad marathon of that when I first rode it, like 7-9 times, its the ride that really got me more comfortable with roller coasters (I wasn't a fan of them when I was much younger)

What got me more comfortable with rollercoasters was The Vortex. I think it was the feeling of going upside down that made me feel calm. Except, at that time, I would only ride in the BACK ROW. My dad had "fun" with that. LOL:lol:

^Vortex was the one coaster at KI that took the longest for me to warm up to.  It took me a while to get the courage to ride it (it was the tallest coaster in the park at the time), but I loved it since that ride.  

I also got my first Beast night ride shortly thereafter.  It was the first ride on Beast that I actually enjoyed, the previous time, I was pretty scared of it.  

• 2 years later...

A few come to mind-

- I wasn't too keen on riding coasters when I was younger, but I eventually worked up the courage and started small and went bigger, the coaster that got me on track was, then, Top Gun.  When I first discovered it, it looked and sounded so different than the other louder coasters and just something about it gravitated me to it, I rode it about 6-7 times in a row that night

- As I started to get more courage, I eventually got to try Vortex for the first time at nght.  A year or 2 prior, I did get pretty scared on my first Beast ride, but after the first Vortex ride, I got my first Beast night ride and loved the 2 from that point on

- I have a LOT of good memories with my family at, then, Water Works (I hope they go back to that name honestly with the facade over the lazy river, that logo always looked so cool to me)

- my first ride on SOB was on a preview night they had to postpone due to SoB doing SoB things, I think I rode with Don (it was a larger park official that looked like him), despite my hate of it, that ride was really unique and sticks out being a wooden coaster that big and the loop was pretty cool doing it for the first time on a modern wooden coaster, also at night

- finally getting to be tall enough to ride King Cobra before it was taken down, even got a 1-1 ride on it 

- during a P&G Dividend Day, I got to ride on Vortex in 6-1 6 times in a row without leaving the seat

- being on Beast during the fireworks when it was allowed to run, they often stopped the trains on the respective lifts to let riders watch from that vantage point

- my first ride on Diamondback which was in between the few surgeries I had, then coming back in 2010 with the first season pass I had in a few years and riding the crap out of DB, felt great FINALLY getting a B&M coaster and also overcoming my medical condition to get back to enjoying the park at the same time (row 3-2 on the green train is where I first rode it and I love getting to get that seat when I can for the nostalgia trip)

- my first KIC meet up at the Banshee announcement (which was the apex of the most awesome decoding thread in site history)

- the first few KIC Haunt meet ups I went to, especially 2014 and 2015, made me always try to get a Haunt rain trip

- being at closing day in 2014 to attempt to get to be the 2 millionth rider on Banshee, probably rode it a dozen times that day, most of it near close obviously

• Like 3

My favorites from the kid era:

Playing spot-the-tower from the highway.

Eating LaRosa's on I-Street with mist from the fountain.

Watching Vortex from the Rivertown LaRosa's patio and the path to Coney, just watching trains maneuver that tangled track through trees.

Original Antique Cars.

Watching the short-lived "tank battle" thing over on the edge of HB.

The Splat City climbing/obstacle playground structure ultimately removed for Reptar.

Riding the handcars in the back of HB that were removed after 2005.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I grew up with the park almost from the beginning, so there are way too many good memories to post. KI was my second home throughout my life and my refuge for the summer. While staying with my grandparents who lived here like did as a kid until we moved to barren West Texas when I got into the third grade. I was devastated that KI was literally over a thousand miles away and would wait all school year for the summer and the chance to visit my true home and enjoy KI almost every day during the summer.

Luckily my grandma was kind enough to see my passion for coasters and was more than willing to trek me up to the park and let me be at my favorite place in the world. I have seen so many changes, good and not so good. As a young kid in the 80's, the park had a bit more aura it seems ( Maybe just cause I was a kid and in awe of the park...Beast, original Bat, ect.), but it still keeps its hold on me as I get a bit older just like it did when I was much younger. I still feel like a young kid when I walk into the park and see International Street and the Tower come into view. That view never ceases to bring me back to my childhood!

The last night riding the Flying Eagles before they were stole from the park is one of my best memories!

So maybe it's all those trips up to the park with my grandma and the conversations we had that is one of the best parts of the experience.

• Like 5

My first time going to Kings Island in 2001 as a 10 year old. 

The first time I ever seen the rides from the highway, and the first time I walked into the park. 

Never will forget that day

• Like 1

Meeting SpongeBob and Scooby Doo when I went in August 2004. I also remember my mom REFUSING to go on the Wild Thornberrys ride (I didn't think much of why until she rode Ozarka Splash at Six Flags New Orleans a year later), Tomb Raider (I'd played the games and seen the movie, so it was RIGHT up my alley), Scooby's Ghoster Coaster, Rugrats Runaway Reptar, and having a crush on the alien leader in Flight of Fear. Also a funny memory: My parents and I were walking in one direction in the Nickelodeon area, then all of a sudden we see Dora, and we WALKED THE OTHER WAY. (Dora was not allowed in this house. Even as a kid I found her stupid.)