Do you have a most favorite and least favorite ride at Kings Island?

Dj325

Favorite: Mystic Timbers. Wild, out of control sensation with the rickety wood coaster feel without being rough. Nonstop speed from beginning to end.

Now, I'll put on my anti flame suit for all the fanboys about to get triggered.

Least Favorite; not just at KI, but anywhere: The Beast. I thought it was lame on my first ride 20 years ago, and it's even worse today. It's basically a nice first drop into a tunnel, turn and drop down a hill that's all completely ruined by trims, with a cool double helix at the end. Otherwise it's long sections of flat straight track with an occasional wide turn thrown in and of course, more trims. After the helix there's a gentle kiddie coaster hill followed by the world's longest brake run.

However, even the redeemable parts of the ride involve getting the living crap kicked out of you on the roughest track end to end of any coaster I've ever ridden, except SOB. When my 7 year old daughter who is made of jello keeps yelling "why does it hurt so bad" during her first ride, that's bad.

For some reason I try it once each year just to see if maybe something has changed. And it does change, it just gets worse. Friday was the last ride I'll ever take on it.

No amount of history or nostalgia can overcome it. Either RMC it or burn it to the ground. Even a retracking can't save the overall layout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, shadowscare said:

Favorite: Mystic Timbers. Wild, out of control sensation with the rickety wood coaster feel without being rough. Nonstop speed from beginning to end.

Now, I'll put on my anti flame suit for all the fanboys about to get triggered.

Least Favorite; not just at KI, but anywhere: The Beast. I thought it was lame on my first ride 20 years ago, and it's even worse today. It's basically a nice first drop into a tunnel, turn and drop down a hill that's all completely ruined by trims, with a cool double helix at the end. Otherwise it's long sections of flat straight track with an occasional wide turn thrown in and of course, more trims. After the helix there's a gentle kiddie coaster hill followed by the world's longest brake run.

However, even the redeemable parts of the ride involve getting the living crap kicked out of you on the roughest track end to end of any coaster I've ever ridden, except SOB. When my 7 year old daughter who is made of jello keeps yelling "why does it hurt so bad" during her first ride, that's bad.

For some reason I try it once each year just to see if maybe something has changed. And it does change, it just gets worse. Friday was the last ride I'll ever take on it.

No amount of history or nostalgia can overcome it. Either RMC it or burn it to the ground. Even a retracking can't save the overall layout.

I think you basically just described how The Beast makes me feel, except for the "burn it to the ground" part. Now, if you were ridding it in the back row, then that's probably why it was rough.

Even though I haven't ridden them, you're lucky it's not a Vekoma SLC! Here's the two different versions of these pain machines, and from what I've heard, they're both painful!

There's one version where it has big bulky restraints that can give you a really bad headache, or maybe erase your mind.

spacer.png

(No pun intended)

The other one is the T3 version at Kentucky Kingdom. spacer.png

This version has more of a lapbar style vest restraint. From what I've heard, these ones will kind of give you the simulation of leg imputation, if that's what it's called.

15 hours ago, Dj325 said:

I think you basically just described how The Beast makes me feel, except for the "burn it to the ground" part. Now, if you were ridding it in the back row, then that's probably why it was rough.

Even though I haven't ridden them, you're lucky it's not a Vekoma SLC! Here's the two different versions of these pain machines, and from what I've heard, they're both painful!

There's one version where it has big bulky restraints that can give you a really bad headache, or maybe erase your mind.

spacer.png

(No pun intended)

The other one is the T3 version at Kentucky Kingdom. spacer.png

This version has more of a lapbar style vest restraint. From what I've heard, these ones will kind of give you the simulation of leg imputation, if that's what it's called

I've ridden many rows of The Beast over the years, and they're all varying degrees of awful. Most recently in Row 3. I've been on an SLC, it's nowhere near as bad as that giant turd in Mason. Even if it was smooth, 80% of the layout is a snoozefest.

I was thrilled the first time I rode Mystic Timbers. Finally, a woodie in Ohio that's brag worthy.