Hint that FOF is next to go????

DubVLegend

Ok so the girls and I were talking about this today while in que for Orion and I’m curious for your all’s input.

In Orion’s station on the wall by the first row their is what appears to be a memorial of sorts. Numerous plaques with the names and dates of fallen rides. However the very bottom plaque is none other then our only beloved launch coaster FOF. 

So is KI hinting around to us that FOF days of flight are numbered or is there some other tie in????

4BDFB5F1-24CF-4223-801A-C41915922F35.jpeg

15 minutes ago, DubVLegend said:

Ok so the girls and I were talking about this today while in que for Orion and I’m curious for your all’s input.

In Orion’s station on the wall by the first row their is what appears to be a memorial of sorts. Numerous plaques with the names and dates of fallen rides. However the very bottom plaque is none other then our only beloved launch coaster FOF. 

So is KI hinting around to us that FOF days of flight are numbered or is there some other tie in????

4BDFB5F1-24CF-4223-801A-C41915922F35.jpeg

Invertigo is up there too, and it would go before fof considering all the update and theming they just put into that area etc. this just matches the posters they released last year in leading up to the announcement.  These are the rides in the "study" for project Orion.  :)

• Like 5

I really wouldn't take any serious stock in it. All the rides referenced there are space/aeronautical/ or celestial-themed in some way, shape, or form, which FOF clearly fits into. 

Its just a coincidence that KI has a lot of retired rides that fall into this realm.

Setting aside easter eggs if I were to speculate the ride's future I'd say its safe for any forseeable future. For reference, none of its sister rides in Poltergeist, Joker's Jinx, Crazy Cobra, or KD's Flight of Fear have closed yet. And I'd imagine KI would want to keep it going for at least a good while longer, given its importance to Area 72/Orion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps, FoF could be next to go and a new dark ride replace it in the same building? Theming would follow the newly renamed Area 72. Other than the awesome exhilaration of the LIM launch, this ride is uncomfortable, compared to modern coasters. Recent aesthetic updates to FoF have been limited to the loading station at little cost. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, super7 said:

Halleys Comet would have fit great with this scheme.     

It would fit the space theme but the ride names used are more ones that would work as project code names whereas Halley's Comet is an actual object.

As far as FOF being predicted to go I think it's more that it's proximity to the ride and part o the area it ties into the themeing of the ride itself so they used it. It's more a sign that Invertigo would be next to go to me which many have theorized already.

FOF wouldn't be the next to go. But, it probably won't be here forever. When I rode it on July 4th, it was pretty rough. Instead of getting rid of it, they could maybe give the ride some new ride vehicles. The only other ride listed on that wall still in operation is Invertigo, which is probably the ride that is more likely to be the next to go.

Keep in mind that these are all the rides from the Orion teaser campaign and at the time of that campaign, Vortex was still in operation as well.

These are just the rides they decided to implement in the "themeing" for Orion. I wouldn't use it as a sign that something else is going away. One of the rides in there was never even at KI.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dj325 said:

FOF wouldn't be the next to go. But, it probably won't be here forever. When I rode it on July 4th, it was pretty rough. Instead of getting rid of it, they could maybe give the ride some new ride vehicles. The only other ride listed on that wall still in operation is Invertigo, which is probably the ride that is more likely to be the next to go.

New trains would not fix the horrendous transitions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coaster sally said:

New trains would not fix the horrendous transitions.

Agreed, but it would definitely reduce the roughness and maybe less tight cars would be more accepting to larger guests, which is one common complaint I've heard.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoasterJack said:

Agreed, but it would definitely reduce the roughness and maybe less tight cars would be more accepting to larger guests, which is one common complaint I've heard.

The new premiere trains like on full throttle are better but wouldn't be worth the investment IMO.  They are not substantially better.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 9:14 AM, Dj325 said:

I find the problem to be less about transitions, and more about vibration. I feel like I’m in one of those mall massage chairs whenever I ride. I’m not sure if that’s a ride vehicle or a track issue, though I’d imagine it’s the latter. The Premier trains aren’t trailered either- if they were, it would probably make those transitions a little more tolerable. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

I find the problem to be less about transitions, and more about vibration. I feel like I’m in one of those mall massage chairs whenever I ride. I’m not sure if that’s a ride vehicle or a track issue, though I’d imagine it’s the latter. The Premier trains aren’t trailered either- if they were, it would probably make those transitions a little more tolerable. 

I have a suspicion that it is also the fact that the whole floor is concrete. I could be wrong but its a theory I have. And it's not even rough ya know, just your whole body vibrates like one giant electric toothbrush.

• Like 1

I agree that Flight of Fear is rough quite a bit of the time. However, when it runs great (by this, I mean when it runs smoothly*), it's one of my favorite coasters at the park. Though my attitude towards FoF varies depending on the ride experince, I do think it should stay at the park, (only because it's a unique coaster from the 90's and it's just a fun ride (when it runs well)! If the park is going to keep it around, I do suggest giving the ride some TLC. 

*IIRC, I've heard/experiences that one needs to sit in an odd row to get a smoother ride.