2020 Restaurants & Dining Plans

chuck norris

Just wanted to share that I have been extremely happy with KI food this year.  Been to KI 6 days and CP 4 days so far.  CP may have a better portfolio of rides and coasters, but KI is leagues better than CP in the food dept.  Panda Express at KI really knocks things out of the park, while at CP they were probably the worst meal I had during my visits.  I miss Skyline and the old burrito place at CP.  I need to find out what's at the Brewhouse on the Dining plan as I couldn't find that info ANYWHERE.  Also, need to give the new Chicken Shack sandwich a whirl.

• Like 3

Just wanted to share that I have been extremely happy with KI food this year.  Been to KI 6 days and CP 4 days so far.  CP may have a better portfolio of rides and coasters, but KI is leagues better than CP in the food dept.  Panda Express at KI really knocks things out of the park, while at CP they were probably the worst meal I had during my visits.  I miss Skyline and the old burrito place at CP.  I need to find out what's at the Brewhouse on the Dining plan as I couldn't find that info ANYWHERE.  Also, need to give the new Chicken Shack sandwich a whirl.

Was provisions open this year at Cedar Point? The restaurant that is tucked way back in forbidden frontier? Of all the meals at al the Cedar Fair parks, this is my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was not open, no. CP kept the island closed this year. On our visits this month they had a few of the major food stands closed, including Mrs Keats, Roundup and Dragons Inn. We had Backbeat and Chick Fil A twice each, the new Corral and Panda once each. Especially with the loss of a burrito/bowl option at Cedar Point this year, I like Kings Island's dining plan offerings much more than CPs. Hugos was awful last year, and Backbeat is good but offers no indoor seating and less covered seating than Coney BBQ. I really hope they add back a burrito place for 2021, I think they should again use the current Mrs Keats, which has plentiful indoor seating. 

Review of cheesesteak sandwich weekend of aug 22 chef plate.
First:
I will always be supportive and appreciate new options to the meal plan, especially ones involving grilled meat. So for me, this was a winner. Frankly this was the reason I went to the park this evening, as I typically avoid on Saturdays.

The preview... signage of the actual meal was non existent. If you didn’t hear about the meal via social media (as I did) I have no idea how you would have known what the chef special was. The gigantic prime rib hunks of meat on the grills were bringing people over though. Many interested in how they could buy one!

There were markers on the ground for a line, but if this continues to be popular they should really add some turnstiles or ropes to create a clear line off the concourse. The ordering system seemed to be slow everywhere tonight, and this wishbone grill was no expectation. It took about 5 minutes per person to place an order (although I was there close to 5:30, so hopefully they worked out the process better).

I don’t like cheese, so I requested without. That wasn’t an issue since each sandwich seemed to be made to order.

The first impression of the sandwich was that it looked fresh, bun, thin sliced meat, veggies, but kind of small for a “dinner”. It lived up to this, as it was tasty, but it certainly didn’t fill me up. Would be a perfect lunch portion, although it isn’t offered until 5pm.

The overall sandwich was good, although a little dry. Although to be fair, I chose to forgo the cheese (which looked great). The potatoes were cooked really well, I expected them to be under cooked and a little hard, but they were not and had oil/butter. Nothing fancy, but they were good.

My son ended up getting the pulled pork fries at river town. He gave me some of his saucy pulled pork to put on my sandwich, really made it awesome!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnyPancakes said:

It is a sin to cook a ribeye until grey. I’m sad now. 

Fattier meats like ribeye tend to taste better the more you cook them because the fat needs ample time to melt. Studies done with blind taste tests show people actually like their steak cooked more than they think they do. Try new things. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bengalsguy23 said:

Fattier meats like ribeye tend to taste better the more you cook them because the fat needs ample time to melt. Studies done with blind taste tests show people actually like their steak cooked more than they think they do. Try new things. 

You don’t take a ribeye last medium. The fat renders around 136 degrees. That picture is closer to 200. It’s ruined. 

2 minutes ago, AnyPancakes said:

You don’t take a ribeye last medium. The fat renders around 136 degrees. That picture is closer to 200. It’s ruined. 

Fat starts to render at 135. Key word is starts. It needs time (some even say it can take up to an hour.) just taking it to 135 wont be hot enough for a long enough period of time for a ribeye. 

So what exactly is this pop-up grill?  Is it just something new they’re trying?  I wish my stomach would let me eat full-course meals at the park!  I just don’t like to eat a lot... I get too hot and then by the time I’ve drank all my Powerade, I don’t feel like eating.  All the food this year looks so good!

I hope this sticks around during the Tricks & Treats Festival!  I’d love to try it!

On my next trip, I’m heading straight to Hank’s Mexican Grill!  I read that they have burrito bowls like Chipotle and I am all about some burrito bowls!!!!!  Hoping my stomach will agree to that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnyPancakes said:

It was a little past medium, but there was some pink in the meat on my sandwich, which I posted a picture of in the other thread.

I got mine right after they started serving at 5:00. They had meat in a hot holding dish after they were done grilling it, so it may have cooked further depending on when it was ordered.

Photo_1598132580451.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RogueFoxPaws said:

So what exactly is this pop-up grill?  Is it just something new they’re trying?  I wish my stomach would let me eat full-course meals at the park!  I just don’t like to eat a lot... I get too hot and then by the time I’ve drank all my Powerade, I don’t feel like eating.  All the food this year looks so good!

I hope this sticks around during the Tricks & Treats Festival!  I’d love to try it!

On my next trip, I’m heading straight to Hank’s Mexican Grill!  I read that they have burrito bowls like Chipotle and I am all about some burrito bowls!!!!!  Hoping my stomach will agree to that!

You may be disappointed 

• Confused 1

Tried around 8:30 and it was sold out. I’m going to get to the park earlier next Saturday and give it a shot! 

Although social media said Saturday, the signage at the wishbone indicated this would occur on Saturday and Sunday. Although maybe they are out of prime rib cuts and anticipated this first weekend would only be Saturday??

a0de0126123b11a66fb3e75c8feb199a.jpg

• Like 1

Costco usually has whole boneless rib roasts for about $9/lb averaging about 15lbs, though our location hasn’t had them the past couple of months.  Most full service grocery stores will sell them if you ask the butcher, best to call first.  

I usually cut them in half, slice steaks with half then smoke the other half as a roast and have prime rib for dinner and then put leftovers portion on the slicer and have the best roast beef ever, melts like butter.  

As to what temp to cook it?  As with all things whatever tastes best to you.   No wrong answer here.  The ends will always be more done than the center.

• Like 2

I have been working and missed these opportunities, but it is great to see things like this pop up.  I am sure these are some of the things Chef Major envisioned when he took the job. 

Even if you aren't a fan of this and prefer typical park food and not looking for a culinary experience, any time additional food offerings are made available it has to help out the other lines, even if by only a little.  Plus this is like a little secret meal that probably hasn't developed a long line yet?

What is the guess on meal plan versus pay percentage on this?

• Like 2

I have been working and missed these opportunities, but it is great to see things like this pop up.  I am sure these are some of the things Chef Major envisioned when he took the job. 
Even if you aren't a fan of this and prefer typical park food and not looking for a culinary experience, any time additional food offerings are made available it has to help out the other lines, even if by only a little.  Plus this is like a little secret meal that probably hasn't developed a long line yet?
What is the guess on meal plan versus pay percentage on this?

While there was a large sign in the midway about this, I don’t recall any reference to a price... so I’m not even sure if it was available for cash purchase.

6 hours ago, chuck norris said:

While there was a large sign in the midway about this, I don’t recall any reference to a price... so I’m not even sure if it was available for cash purchase.

I’m sure it is. Couldn’t tell you the price though. 

26 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

^but food offerings only available by meal plan could drive meal plan sales?

Maybe, but I don’t think they’d think that way. They can make $18 now, or $120 over the course of a year. Especially in this economy, they’d go for the quick cash. 

I owe Chef Major an apology.  I was one that wondered why no tarter sauce for the Cod sandwich at Brewhouse but I finally tried it yesterday and the sauce already on it along with the slaw was great.  My only suggestion would be to eat it upside down as the condiments are on the bottom and tend to spill out but other than that I'll be having it again.  I made sure to hunt down chef and let him know it was great and to also congratulate him on how he's upping the game in food at the park.  While on the subject I would love rivertown potato works to offer an option of toppings (pick pork or chicken, pick buffalo or bbq for the sauce).  Buffalo pork may not be used much but I would definitely go for a bbq chicken offering.  I may try and ask them to substitute today and see how it goes.  Finally I'm hoping next week brings back the macaroni bar.  It's always a favorite of mine.  I can honestly say now that Kings Island isn't just a place to go for entertainment and rides but fantastic food offerings as well.  My compliments (and one apology) to the chef!

• Like 2

My son wanted Hanks.
So I went with him. It actually looked good, and we were there. So I tried it again.

The rice wasn’t crunchy!!! It was a really good option. Only real improvement/suggestion would be to offer fresh diced jalapeños... as there isn’t much spice ... and the canned jalapeños offered aren’t very appetizing.

But overall, this was a great experience... so I retract my previous disappointment.

7e083048f86a677750e24a7a2aefc0f1.jpg
27928d0501579f3ea8ad56eff496a937.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...