Kings Island Tiki Mugs

TikiDan151

2 hours ago, TikiDan151 said:

Anyone have any info on history of KI tiki mugs? When and what part of park were they sold? I have pics can't figure out how to post

When you make a post, you will see a the bottom a paperclip and this text: 

Drag files here to attach, or choose files...

• Like 1

I also own a couple of Kings Island tiki glasses...but do not have them readily available at the moment...but I am guessing they are about the same thing. Mine have what I call “the crown logo” on them. As far as I know this logo was abandoned pretty quickly after the park opened...probably only used for the first year or so. ( @TombraiderTy, @Shaggy, @KIghostguy) The type of souvenirs that this logo are on are pretty generic...like the park just bought an item from a wholesaler and slapped their logo on it. 
So if your mugs do have this logo I would guess 1972, 1973...but keep an eye on this thread for when the experts weigh in! :lol:

0DD6BE15-DB34-4D9E-B633-911924EDAF8F.jpeg

6 hours ago, standbyme said:

I also own a couple of Kings Island tiki glasses...but do not have them readily available at the moment...but I am guessing they are about the same thing. Mine have what I call “the crown logo” on them. As far as I know this logo was abandoned pretty quickly after the park opened...probably only used for the first year or so. ( @TombraiderTy, @Shaggy, @KIghostguy) The type of souvenirs that this logo are on are pretty generic...like the park just bought an item from a wholesaler and slapped their logo on it. 
So if your mugs do have this logo I would guess 1972, 1973...but keep an eye on this thread for when the experts weigh in! :lol:

0DD6BE15-DB34-4D9E-B633-911924EDAF8F.jpeg

Kings Island officials felt that the first logo was not an “easy to use or read” logo, so they changed it. The logo was changed in, I believe, early 1972—someone probably knows more about the specifics of the date. By the time the park opened, they were using the medieval-looking one as the official logo of the park.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Kings Island officials felt that the first logo was not as easy to use/read, so they changed it. The logo was changed in, I believe, early 1972—someone probably knows more about the specifics of the date. By the time the park opened, they were using the medieval-looking one as the official logo of the park.

I'm glad they went with the other logo.  The one pictured looks too much like a 60's field party or early 70's disco.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

They're out there, but not many.

Yes, I keep my eyes open for them to snatch them up, but to no avail.

15 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

The only place that makes sense in my head is over in the old animal safari area. 

Yeah, my thought too.  But the Lion Country Safari did not open with KI.  I think it was 2-3 years after this.  I love mysteries!

The Kings Island "Crown" logo was used through fall 1971 to promote the park.  By December the new, more familiar, "Disneyland font" logo was in place. (More about that in a minute...)

Ads for the KI preview movie that played local theaters used the new logo as early as Jan 1st.  However the movie itself was produced in 1971, and used the "Crown Logo" in it's title shots.

image.png      image.png

Here are samples of the logo in the variations of the "preview" brochure that was distributed before KI opened.  There were at least 3 variations of the brochure.  The first (far left) was distributed at Cincinnati's Coney Island at the preview center in early summer 1971.  The second version was also distributed at the Coney preview center late season/August 1971.  (It names the Jack Nicholas designed golf course at Kings Island which was announced in August 1971.)  The third brochure was distributed at the information centers after Coney closed (note the original planned opening date of May 6th which did not happen.)  As you can see, the second logo was in place for this brochure.

image.png

The new logo was developed, as I understand, in fall 1971.  It utilized a variation of what's become known as the "Disneyland" font.  It *may* have been suggested by Bruce Bushman, who did quite of bit of concept work for the park.  (Mr Bushman was one of the original WED Imagineers responsible for the original design of Fantasyland for Walt Disney.  He was instrumental in also designing Kings Island and, no doubt, patterned parts of KI on it.)   The new logo could also have been a "nod" to the fact that Kings Island - when it was being announced/built - was being billed by many as Ohio's version of Disneyland.

While the park was under construction, there were 2 different billboards placed by the interstate to mark the location of the park.  The first billboard featured the "Crown" logo.  The second also used the "crown" logo as well - but the Eiffel Tower had become part of the advertising campaign.  Here are pictures of both billboards courtesy of KI50MOVIE...

image.png    

image.png

Its worth noting that ALL advertisements of Kings Island at Cincinnati's Coney Island used the "Crown" logo.  Including the "Racing Coaster" billboard that sat adjacent to the Shooting Star's station.

By the time KI opened in May, the "Disneyland" font version of the logo was the only one being used for advertising purposes.  The confusing matter is, the "Crown" logo still cropped up on merchandise and shopping bags etc.  That (very likely) included the "Tiki Mugs" mentioned here.  The reason?  Because many orders for merchandise and various items were placed prior to the logo change to meet manufacturing timeline requirements.

BTW - the "Crown" logo still crops up as a "throwback" on merchandise from time to time.  For instance, this season there is at least one item (a slinky toy) that features the "Crown" logo being sold in the shops on International Street.

For posterity, I think the switch to the "Disneyland" font logo including the Eiffel Tower was an excellent decision.  Its far more iconic and dynamic than the "crown" logo.  Frankly, I still prefer it to any logo the park has used since - including the Paramount version and the current Cedar Fair version.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Interesting!  I did not know that they used the crown logo for retro purposes.  I prefer the Disneyland logo an am glad it pops up on some merchandise.  I hope to see more of it as 2022 rolls around.  I did see a lanyard at the Emporium that had the Disney font, the Paramount logo (without the Paramount name) and the Cedar Fair logo.  I was surprised they used the Paramount logo.

8 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I was surprised they used the Paramount logo.

I can’t recall Cedar Fair ever reusing the Paramount Logo for nostalgic merchandise purposes prior. Perhaps enough time has passed allowing Paramount Parks monikers to to fall into public domain. Either that or the rights to the logo fell to CF as a part of the buyout... and they’ve simply chosen to suppress its reuse until now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I can’t recall Cedar Fair ever reusing the Paramount Logo for nostalgic merchandise purposes prior. Perhaps enough time has passed allowing Paramount Parks monikers to to fall into public domain. Either that or the rights to the logo fell to CF as a part of the buyout... and they’ve simply chosen to suppress its reuse until now.

It was the font with the star and line above it.  The word "Paramount" was not included.

Not to go off topic too much, but regarding the different logos... does anyone remember in 2007 when the park just removed the Paramount's part of the fountain marquee and left the bottom half in place? I'm assuming @BeeastFarmer is referring to souvenirs with a similar set-up, which I think I saw a few of last year.

P4180098.JPG

Regarding the tiki mugs... @TikiDan151 thanks for sharing! I don't have anything to add that others didn't already cover - that logo wasn't used on park publications 1972 onward, but it's on some early merchandise. As @standbyme put it - it was "like the park just bought an item from a wholesaler and slapped their logo on it."

• Like 2

Just wanted to share a few things I have with the original KI logo...the glass and the salt and pepper shakers are vintage.  The shirt was sold at Kings Island just a few years ago that lists original attractions.  I've worn it to the park a few times.  I've had associates ask me about it; a few thought it must have been vintage.   it does have 70's vibe to it.

Since the original logo was from the Coney/Kings Island continuation era, I scanned a Coney brochure that is from its final season.  It doesn't have the KI logo, but it does reference the "new park".

IMG_4614.jpeg

IMG_4615.jpeg

IMG_4617.jpeg

Scan 7.jpeg

Scan 6.jpeg

• Like 6

^Thanks for sharing! I think I own the same glass with International Street somewhere in my collection.

The Coney Island brochure scan is especially interesting - the map of the park at the bottom left has some drastic differences compared to what was actually built: pond outside park entrance, Turnpike in place of Scooby-Doo, a bridge over Royal Fountain (!!!)... I wonder if there's a full sized version of that map floating around somewhere... @kimv1972 is this the map that you were asking about here?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

The Coney Island brochure scan is especially interesting - the map of the park at the bottom left has some drastic differences compared to what was actually built: pond outside park entrance, Turnpike in place of Scooby-Doo, a bridge over Royal Fountain (!!!)... I wonder if there's a full sized version of that map floating around somewhere... @kimv1972 is this the map that you were asking about here?

The map pictured in the Coney brochure was a watercolor concept drawing by Bruce Bushman.  It is a large painting and exists to this day.  It is in the private collection of a Kings Island collector, and is (perhaps) the rarest KI artifact I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

Its cut off in the Coney brochure, but at the time the drawing was done, the park had yet to be named - there's a "banner" area at the bottom right of the actual painting where the name was to be later filled in - but it never was.

I can tell you with absolute certainty, that the outlying areas of the park - specifically rides/ride placement - changed immensely from the Bushman concept painting.

• Like 2

I haven't been through my KI stuff for awhile, and came across a couple more items with the original logo...two of everyone's favorite items to remember their Kings Island visit:  a shot glass, and an ashtray.  

Also, it doesn't sport the first logo, but the map pictured is from, what I understand, the opening season.

IMG_4618.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4620.jpeg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KIfan73 said:

I haven't been through my KI stuff for awhile, and came across a couple more items with the original logo...two of everyone's favorite items to remember their Kings Island visit:  a shot glass, and an ashtray.  

Also, it doesn't sport the first logo, but the map pictured is from, what I understand, the opening season.

IMG_4618.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4620.jpeg

If that's not a sign of the times..... Shot glasses and ashtrays featuring the KI logo!! If you could come up with a Brandy Snifter with the KI logo, we could have a party. 

6 hours ago, Shaggy said:

The map pictured in the Coney brochure was a watercolor concept drawing by Bruce Bushman.  It is a large painting and exists to this day.  It is in the private collection of a Kings Island collector, and is (perhaps) the rarest KI artifact I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

Its cut off in the Coney brochure, but at the time the drawing was done, the park had yet to be named - there's a "banner" area at the bottom right of the actual painting where the name was to be later filled in - but it never was.

I can tell you with absolute certainty, that the outlying areas of the park - specifically rides/ride placement - changed immensely from the Bushman concept painting.

The Bushman painting aligns with much of the Bushman concept art I’ve seen.

6 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Thanks for sharing all of this!  I love this kind of stuff!

I do too beeastfarmer! I wish I had kept all the souvenirs and maps. My first trip was with my 8th grade class in 1973. Oh how I especially wish I had kept the maps. We would go over them for hours after each trip reliving every step and thrill. Great times

• Like 4