Jump to content
BoddaH1994

Michael William to perform at Kings Island

Recommended Posts

I am puzzled by this decision...unless things have changed since I last checked, even Disney eliminated any type of event like this that would possibly cause people to congregate. (i.e. Main Street shows, fireworks, parades etc...) It seems odd that they are inviting people to group together. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, standbyme said:

I am puzzled by this decision...unless things have changed since I last checked, even Disney eliminated any type of event like this that would possibly cause people to congregate. (i.e. Main Street shows, fireworks, parades etc...) It seems odd that they are inviting people to group together. 

I think you can pull this off safely.  To me, the big thing that's kind of "eh" is that standing in front of the Bandstand on a hot summer day at 5:00 is one of the most miserable activities you can do.  Now, I feel completely different for 9:00 and 9:30 shows when the sun goes down and the stage comes alive, unfortunately there's no indication that we will have that opportunity this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since they renovated Inter

On 7/15/2020 at 11:56 AM, BoddaH1994 said:

I think you can pull this off safely.  To me, the big thing that's kind of "eh" is that standing in front of the Bandstand on a hot summer day at 5:00 is one of the most miserable activities you can do.  Now, I feel completely different for 9:00 and 9:30 shows when the sun goes down and the stage comes alive, unfortunately there's no indication that we will have that opportunity this year.

Since they renovated international Street, the daytime shows are absolutely miserable for the performers as well as the crowd. There is absolutely no shade and the sun is glaring directly on the performers and right in the face of the crowd.

In general, having a live shows is not a good idea right now. As much as they are an Important part of the park. 
 

I think the Kings Island is just trying to capitalize off his Voice appearance.   There are a lot of highly talented entertainers our Kings Island but never have gotten the publicity that he is getting from the park.     He isn’t even a long time performer.   Maybe one previous season.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We watch the gemtones at Dollywood. Spaced out and cross managed. What difference does it make standing spaced out in a crowded grocery store or out in the miserable hot sun watching a singer?  It's clear they're not even close to their limited capacity numbers and they are trying to get people in with cheap tickets, a tv singer etc. Kings Island has one live show already running in the festhuas albeit very short but cute.  If you're not comfortable with it you can easily avoid the area. Stop trying to guilt trip ki for doing what it is to keep doors open and keep it solvent to survive through this. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why wouldn't they use the international showplace.  Put the "roof" back on and that way the audience can get a break sitting down in semi-shade.  Only open every 3rd row and put markers on the seats.  As a bonus the performer is in the shade as well.  Seems like they're missing an opportunity here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, robintodd said:

Why wouldn't they use the international showplace.  Put the "roof" back on and that way the audience can get a break sitting down in semi-shade.  Only open every 3rd row and put markers on the seats.  As a bonus the performer is in the shade as well.  Seems like they're missing an opportunity here.

That’s a great point.   It’s a great venue and would be easier to guarantee distancing as the audience would be seated versus on a main walkway.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

But then they are touching the seating and railings and stuff and will need sanitized between each show...the current location "most" will be standing on the provided social distancing dots...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea to have some type of entertainment but bad execution with afternoon bandstand events for thinking ahead with extreme summer heat - KI should install “social umbrellas” in front of the bandstand spaced 6 feet apart similar to what the current queue for Disney’s Slinky Dog coaster is.  Each group can have their own umbrella (and social dot) to stand underneath for shade to avoid the direct hot sun.  With temps in the 90’s and heat index above 100, who would want to stand directly in the hot sun at the hottest part of the day to watch something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, disco2000 said:

But then they are touching the seating and railings and stuff and will need sanitized between each show...the current location "most" will be standing on the provided social distancing dots...

They can have time to wipe down after every show.  They would only do the rows where people are sitting.  Much safer than having people standing on dots while people are trying to weave in and out of them trying to use the walkway.

 

5 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

Good idea to have some type of entertainment but bad execution with afternoon bandstand events for thinking ahead with extreme summer heat - KI should install “social umbrellas” in front of the bandstand spaced 6 feet apart similar to what the current queue for Disney’s Slinky Dog coaster is.  Each group can have their own umbrella (and social dot) to stand underneath for shade to avoid the direct hot sun.  With temps in the 90’s and heat index above 100, who would want to stand directly in the hot sun at the hottest part of the day to watch something?

I guess they will find out. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

Good idea to have some type of entertainment but bad execution with afternoon bandstand events for thinking ahead with extreme summer heat - KI should install “social umbrellas” in front of the bandstand spaced 6 feet apart similar to what the current queue for Disney’s Slinky Dog coaster is.  Each group can have their own umbrella (and social dot) to stand underneath for shade to avoid the direct hot sun.  With temps in the 90’s and heat index above 100, who would want to stand directly in the hot sun at the hottest part of the day to watch something?

Why can't Cedar Fair put all the ride ques and shows under shade like I noticed Dollywood was doing. Almost all the ride ques are built semi indoors. There was also some heavy duty fans blasting air and lots of misty water on everyone in several of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to pay him a little over minimum wage, but now that people know his name we will pay him a ton more to perform solo! - Cedar Fair *probably*

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stoan said:

We used to pay him a little over minimum wage, but now that people know his name we will pay him a ton more to perform solo! - Cedar Fair *probably*

Ehhhh... let’s be frank here. 
 

Outside of those gates he’s not much bigger of a “star” than he was 5 years ago. He was a contestant on The Voice. Not like he’s in the rock n roll hall of fame. The world has moved on from his 15 minutes of fame. Not that he’s untalented - he clearly is. He just doesn’t have the star power that they are trying to create. Not yet at least. You do have to admit that having some random performer, throwing together a 3 piece band, and added prominence of attaching the name “The Voice” to the show is actually a pretty brilliant strategy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Ehhhh... let’s be frank here. 
 

Outside of those gates he’s not much bigger of a “star” than he was 5 years ago. He was a contestant on The Voice. Not like he’s in the rock n roll hall of fame. The world has moved on from his 15 minutes of fame. Not that he’s untalented - he clearly is. He just doesn’t have the star power that they are trying to create. Not yet at least. You do have to admit that having some random performer, throwing together a 3 piece band, and added prominence of attaching the name “The Voice” to the show is actually a pretty brilliant strategy. 

It's a benefit on both ends indeed. Draw in some local people who actually watch the show and he gets some solid practice up on stage with his name as the headliner

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 9:16 PM, SnakePlissken said:

Why can't Cedar Fair put all the ride ques and shows under shade like I noticed Dollywood was doing. Almost all the ride ques are built semi indoors. There was also some heavy duty fans blasting air and lots of misty water on everyone in several of them.

The biggest flaw of Cedar Fair is they don’t like shade.    Constant tree removal and unshaded queues. 
 

That poor policy is costing the money now.    With the lack of shade and hi temps, wearing a face mask is miserable.    The facemask itself isn’t the reason that I have avoided Kings Island so far this year, it’s the lack of shade. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, super7 said:

The biggest flaw of Cedar Fair is they don’t like shade.    Constant tree removal and unshaded queues. 
 

That poor policy is costing the money now.    With the lack of shade and hi temps, wearing a face mask is miserable.    The facemask itself isn’t the reason that I have avoided Kings Island so far this year, it’s the lack of shade. 

Small "gazebos" made of elevated solar panels, with ceiling fans. They power themselves, they create shade, and a nice comfort zone. Make them big enough and maybe even wire them into the park's grid for a few extra pennies of savings a day. It isn't like the park doesn't have a ludicrous amount of big open areas (parking lot).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what the feasibility of plant based queue shadings would be?  Think a sturdy wire structure with wisteria, similar to the tunnels at WWC.  When they grow in, they will overshade the queue.  Of course, people are awful creatures and they would probably destroy the trunks of the vines as they are standing in a queue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They used to have one of these on the pathway that Chick-Fil-A is at back when it was Hanna-Barbera land right? I remember walking through something similar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 11:34 AM, Stoan said:

They used to have one of these on the pathway that Chick-Fil-A is at back when it was Hanna-Barbera land right? I remember walking through something similar.

Kings Dominion and Carowinds still has theirs.  For some reason only Kings Island removed theirs long ago.   The structures do need rebuilt over time and the other two parks did so.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, super7 said:

Kings Dominion and Carowinds still has theirs.  For some reason only Kings Island removes theirs.   The structures do need rebuilt over time and the other two parks did so.  

While I'd like to have that area restored, the space is devoted to backstage things now.  We got two tunnels back in 2016 and they are filling in nicely, so I appreciate that.  We can't magically wish we had the charm of Taft completely restored, but the recent direction KI has been taking has made up for so much of what has been lost since the 90s.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

They could always build a new one over the path that leads straight from I-Street to Rivertown, by the old dolphin show and the still-standing refreshment stand that doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic and often seems closed anyway. 

The WWC ones are a nice throwback, but are much smaller in comparison to the original tunnel, which was large and had enough space for benches. Since it wasn't part of a queue, you could actually chill there for as long as you want. That's what the park needs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...