How has social distancing/mask usage been?

cdubbs727

6 hours ago, RMCRacer2022 said:

We just left, and I was extremely disappointed in the mask usage and social distancing. I would say at least 30% of the visitors walking around had their mask completely off or around their chin/neck, and even more not over their nose. Social distancing in lines was next to nonexistent. When you got closer to the ride itself, employees would remind people about masks, but I never saw corrections in social distancing, nor did I see anyone correct incorrect mask usage in the park itself. In fact, I witnessed numerous times when people had their masks completely off (not even eating or drinking) and an employee walked by without saying anything. I was thankful we had fastpasses (we were kind of forced to use them from the Presidents’ Day sale or lose $160-I emailed: no refunds, no extensions which I understand but sucked) and that we could get through rides quickly and get out of there. I hope none of this relaxing of the rules comes at a price, but something needs to change. I did not feel safe. 

Thanks for posting this. We were there twice this year (July 2-3) and I've been considering squeezing out one more trip. This made the decision for me - I won't be returning to the park during the pandemic knowing that they've relaxed the enforcement of their guidelines.

I was there today, from open till about 2 and it wasnt to crowded and nearly everyone I saw had masks on properly.

People were also respectful of social distancing in lines...I rode Orion, Diamondback, Racer, Beast, and Banshee with no issues.

This was the second time I've visited. The first was July 9th and then Security was making sure folks masks on properly. Today, I only saw, maybe 6 or so with mask down.....it was hot and I'm thinking they just needed a brief break.

I would go back, saw the coasters being wiped down and had no problems.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

I have seen very good compliance with masks and distancing so far. In ride lines on Friday, I saw several people reminded either by an associate to keep their face fully covered and/or to stay on the social distancing markers. I wasn't there today, but 30% of people not wearing masks isn't at all consistent with what I've seen at Kings Island this year.

• Like 2

On my 3 visits so far I've seen most people wearing the masks and distancing "correctly". I've only seen one person blatantly not wearing it (around the chin), he was cheering for his kid on a ride and was way off on his own though so I didn't bother. Only actual problem I had was with a 6 year old girl that wanted to stand right next to me in line. Unfortunately the party behind her took the sticker spot behind me so she had nowhere to go, I guess they though she was with me and I couldn't really tell her to back up. She also spent her entire time in the line gnawing on her mask so it was nowhere near her nose.

Even on the midways the mask usage has been surprisingly good.

10 hours ago, malem said:

I have seen very good compliance with masks and distancing so far. In ride lines on Friday, I saw several people reminded either by an associate to keep their face fully covered and/or to stay on the social distancing markers. I wasn't there today, but 30% of people not wearing masks isn't at all consistent with what I've seen at Kings Island this year.

I don’t know what to say. Maybe I went in looking for the negatives, but I will say I was paying a lot of attention to everyone walking by at all times because I was truly curious given what everyone was saying here. It was definitely better for the first hour we were there in terms of masks (we had the 10:30 slot), but right from the get go people were lined up back to back waiting for Banshee to open with everyone bunching on the stairs when it did open. In general, the Fast Lane queue made me nervous because in many cases you were literally right next to the people in the regular queue with no barriers. I will say that the majority of people who did have their masks off were doing so in a place that wasn’t crowded. For example, we sat in the Skyline pavilion at lunch and the majority of these no mask instances happened on the pathway behind it and in between the Stunt Coaster, and they did put them on or pull them up when approaching the rides. However, in terms of social distancing, I never (honestly never) saw it not bunched up as you got closer to getting onto a ride. Adventure Express was especially bad with people sitting on the railings throughout the entire queue right next to each other. The poor guy at the front was doing his best to tell people to put their masks over their noses and to space out, but he also had to load the trains. The mask usage just got worse as the day went on especially given the heat.

Now, the good things I saw were that employees at loading were asking people to put on masks and pull them over their noses. I did see people keep them on during the rides themselves. I did see several parents doing an excellent job of teaching their children to sanitize and wear their masks properly. I also was aware of all the announcements that were made about social distancing and mask usage (as well as signage). I also saw the cleaning procedures on trains and they were very thorough (although I’m curious as to why they don’t run the train empty after sanitizing to let it dry/work as most of those products have to sit for a minute or so).

I just think that enforcement needs to be more consistent throughout the park. I had seen on here where there were employees specifically in the queues to enforce distancing and sanitize, but we never saw an instance of that (and granted lines were very short all day). We saw several supervisors walking around the park itself with clipboards, but I rarely saw them address any guests. We just felt that it was getting more unsafe as the day went on unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Ohio is 9th in anti-masks wearing activity.

Not surprising 8 of the top 10 went red in 2016.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/report-ohio-among-least-cooperative-states-when-it-comes-to-wearing-masks/

It wouldn't surprise me to see a statewide mask mandate to come this week.

Cedar Fair did and continues to have the right policy on masks.

My personal experience - the social distancing aspect went fairly well.  I didn't feel crowded, and I didn't run into any folks in line who got too close.

On the mask enforcement - I witnessed only one employee throughout our entire 6 hour visit who corrected a guest with a mask violation (kudos to the one associate at Panda Express in the Festhaus).  I'd say about 25% of guests that I saw were not wearing them, or were wearing them incorrectly.  I witnessed employees walk right past these individuals without saying anything.  In fact, while in line for Boo Blasters, an associate came through the queue to clean the hand rails - literally asked a group, who was not wearing masks at all, to please move their hands to clean - no mention at all of the masks.

I get that is sucks for both guests to both wear a mask, and associates to enforce it.  I'm not pro-mask or anti-mask.  But, if the park is going to make the rules, I think they need to go so far as to enforce it.

19 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It’s a solvable problem. Zero tolerance. The word would get out quickly and the problem would subside. Unfortunately they don’t have the resources, especially this year, to make that happen. Hopefully one day it does. 

They should be in compliance with state guidelines. State guidelines allow exceptions for those with special needs and certain health conditions. My 6 yr old son has autism, and has had zero exposure. If he comes to the park with a doctor's note there's no reason for them to force him to wear a mask as long as he is social distancing. The masks are hard for me to wear as an adult, but I could endure it to be able to take him if I had to, but it's not fair to force this on children especially those with special needs

• Like 1

Could be because ki has a majority of younger employees out and about, they might feel intimidated to remind adults of masks.  Especially with the reports of reactions to such.  

Dollywood seems on top though older employees alike they constantly go after and lose tolerance for as the day goes on.  But Americans will do what they want regardless. Saw  way more chin and under nose wears this weekend. It was also a scorcher. But in theory most were still spaced out even while walking. In lines were better.

Only had one instance where people were close behind is coughed  looked back of course they were chin wearers. But I don't touch my back nor can droplets magically go around but principal. 

it's a crap shoot those who respect and are considerate of others put up with masks, those likely to cut you off in the parking lot or not let you in will not. 

6 minutes ago, Clair said:

They should be in compliance with state guidelines. State guidelines allow exceptions for those with special needs and certain health conditions. My 6 yr old son has autism, and has had zero exposure. If he comes to the park with a doctor's note there's no reason for them to force him to wear a mask as long as he is social distancing. The masks are hard for me to wear as an adult, but I could endure it to be able to take him if I had to, but it's not fair to force this on children especially those with special needs

Face shields are also acceptable.

2 hours ago, RMCRacer2022 said:

Maybe I went in looking for the negatives, but I will say I was paying a lot of attention to everyone walking by at all times because I was truly curious given what everyone was saying here. It was definitely better for the first hour we were there in terms of masks (we had the 10:30 slot), but right from the get go people were lined up back to back waiting for Banshee to open with everyone bunching on the stairs when it did open. In general, the Fast Lane queue made me nervous because in many cases you were literally right next to the people in the regular queue with no barriers. I will say that the majority of people who did have their masks off were doing so in a place that wasn’t crowded. For example, we sat in the Skyline pavilion at lunch and the majority of these no mask instances happened on the pathway behind it and in between the Stunt Coaster, and they did put them on or pull them up when approaching the rides. However, in terms of social distancing, I never (honestly never) saw it not bunched up as you got closer to getting onto a ride. Adventure Express was especially bad with people sitting on the railings throughout the entire queue right next to each other. The poor guy at the front was doing his best to tell people to put their masks over their noses and to space out, but he also had to load the trains. The mask usage just got worse as the day went on especially given the heat.

Now, the good things I saw were that employees at loading were asking people to put on masks and pull them over their noses. I did see people keep them on during the rides themselves. I did see several parents doing an excellent job of teaching their children to sanitize and wear their masks properly. I also was aware of all the announcements that were made about social distancing and mask usage (as well as signage). I also saw the cleaning procedures on trains and they were very thorough (although I’m curious as to why they don’t run the train empty after sanitizing to let it dry/work as most of those products have to sit for a minute or so).

I just think that enforcement needs to be more consistent throughout the park. I had seen on here where there were employees specifically in the queues to enforce distancing and sanitize, but we never saw an instance of that (and granted lines were very short all day). We saw several supervisors walking around the park itself with clipboards, but I rarely saw them address any guests. We just felt that it was getting more unsafe as the day went on unfortunately. 

It's impossible to control every individual's behavior in a public setting, but I feel good about the layered approach Cedar Fair and other major park companies are taking with masks, distancing, cleaning, enforcement, & limiting indoor activities.

With Fast Lane, the floor stickers are configured so that people in the two lines aren't waiting side-by-side. When people stand as instructed, they shouldn't be within 6' of another group. In some queues, there are long gaps between stickers to accomplish this.

On my visits, employees have come through the line periodically to sanitize queue rails and correct guests who aren't following health protocols.

• Like 1

I realize It is not going to be perfect in getting people to comply. I don't feel the park should have to tell people to wear the mask and or to wear it properly. If you did not want to wear the mask, you should not have entered the property. From when I have been at the park, I think they are doing a great job with this situation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I realize It is not going to be perfect in getting people to comply. I don't feel the park should have to tell people to wear the mask and or to wear it properly. If you did not want to wear the mask, you should not have entered the property. From when I have been at the park, I think they are doing a great job with this situation.

Its the people in general causing it to not be #bestdayever.

51 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Wouldn't that be like telling the police to not ticket speeders?  I mean the speed limit is posted and people start to drive knowing what the speed limit is...and yet people still disobey posted signage and other traffic laws...

In an ideal world, yes this shouldn't have to happen, but we do not live in an ideal world...so society needs enforcement of policies and laws...

If KI sets forth policies, they then need to enforce those policies.  Ohio is proving that we cannot count on Ohioans to do the right thing:  https://www.fox19.com/2020/07/20/study-shows-ohio-is-among-most-irresponsible-states-limiting-spread-covid-during-pandemic/

• Like 6

16 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Wouldn't that be like telling the police to not ticket speeders?  I mean the speed limit is posted and people start to drive knowing what the speed limit is...and yet people still disobey posted signage and other traffic laws...

In an ideal world, yes this shouldn't have to happen, but we do not live in an ideal world...so society needs enforcement of policies and laws...

If KI sets forth policies, they then need to enforce those policies.  Ohio is proving that we cannot count on Ohioans to do the right thing:  https://www.fox19.com/2020/07/20/study-shows-ohio-is-among-most-irresponsible-states-limiting-spread-covid-during-pandemic/

KI hired security? Sure, it is their job to insure the security of their guests. The 18 year old kid at a ride, or a food stand? No. The main issue I've had is that the government sets forth a rule, and then leaves it on employees of businesses to be responsible for making people abide by it. Your analogy would be, the state sets forth a speed limit, and it's now our job as fellow drivers to make sure people adhere to that speed limit. I'm not getting in verbal/ physical altercations with people that refuse to wear masks. As a matter of fact, here at work, I've had numerous people ask me "are you going to make me wear a mask?" No. I'm not going to make you do anything, but you are in a county that has a mandate requiring masks in public places. If we have a surprise visit from the board of health and you're caught not wearing one, it's a $1000 dollar fine that could be imposed upon you for not. Many of them still won't. I'm not here to argue with people about such a simple thing, I have enough other job to do. The positive is though, it seems that once they make it to our waiting lounge, and realize that they are the only person not wearing one, they suddenly have one in their pocket that they put on, because when you think you're a trend setter, but then realize you just look like an idiot compared to the group, you change your mind fast. Long and short, I don't agree with the fact that states and counties have instituted something, and then left it on the shoulders of their population to police it for them. In any other situation, it would be called being a vigilante, and that's considered bad. Employees of businesses have been beaten up, stabbed, and in a couple cases murdered over trying to get people to abide by mask orders. I have a family, and that's not a martyrdom I'm interested in. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, RollerCoasterAirtime said:

I thought they have been doing pretty good. 

Honestly, hearing that your wife (sorry if I mis-characterized) is a health care worker and felt safe there bolsters my confidence, as does the reports I'm hearing of very light crowds on weekdays. 

• Like 1

Today is my 4th visit to the park and can say with light attendance today have seen several families with masks around their neck.  Also, seems the park has gone backwards on hand sanitizer stations as promised in their opening plan.  This one by Orion and the sanitizer station under The Racer by the games had no dispenser attached to the sign.  What good is just a sign indicating hand sanitizer?

33B02099-5FE4-44C9-9139-6DC5DAB7EC41.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It’s been great. I feel the park has been enforcing their COVID policies well. When guests try to circumvent the rules, the staff respond in a courteous and professional manner.

I saw that in the midway. But then saw the guests just go right back to pulling off their mask once security left.

And in the line cue wearing of the masks and maintaining distance was terrible.

Ultimately, if it’s important to you (it is to me, you probably just shouldn’t go... I know I’ve stopped).
Likewise, I’m still waiting for a day when KI actually starts to remove guests for policy violations.

For example, I’m really glad they moved the smoking areas, because previous seasons I rarely ever seen employees confront those smoking outside of the smoking area, and never seen a guest removed from the park for smoking. Even now I still see guests using e cigs in the park and staff ignoring it. And unlike other parks (Canada wonderland) that have lots of signs posted about line jumping or prohibiting saving spots in line for others, I’ve never seen a staff member confront a guest for line jumping.

Net: it’s become clear to me the KI is doing what they must to remain open by the state... but until they show that they will remove violators for intentional violations they certainly aren’t leading the way at promoting mask wearing for businesses. And I understand that’s a choice they are allowed to make... and me not returning is my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

I saw that in the midway. But then saw the guests just go right back to pulling off their mask once security left.

And in the line cue wearing of the masks and maintaining distance was terrible.

Ultimately, if it’s important to you (it is to me, you probably just shouldn’t go... I know I’ve stopped).
Likewise, I’m still waiting for a day when KI actually starts to remove guests for policy violations.

For example, I’m really glad they moved the smoking areas, because previous seasons I rarely ever seen employees confront those smoking outside of the smoking area, and never seen a guest removed from the park for smoking. Even now I still see guests using e cigs in the park and staff ignoring it. And unlike other parks (Canada wonderland) that have lots of signs posted about line jumping or prohibiting saving spots in line for others, I’ve never seen a staff member confront a guest for line jumping.

Net: it’s become clear to me the KI is doing what they must to remain open by the state... but until they show that they will remove violators for intentional violations they certainly aren’t leading the way at promoting mask wearing for businesses. And I understand that’s a choice they are allowed to make... and me not returning is my choice.

I’ve seen KI enforce the mask policy. Today at The Racer, a guest was prevented from boarding because he had put on an  ineffective mask. The area pulled him aside and basically told him to put on a mask or else. The area was amazingly professional and prompt, and should be praised for dealing with the situation with grace.

Employees patrol the lines and if two people are close to each other, they ask if they’re members of the same party. If not, the staff member forces them to social distance.

They are doing far more than what some members of this site believe.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

They are doing far more than what some members of this site believe.

I don't think anyone is lying in their post on what they are experiencing themselves.I don't think it's fair to discredit other people for this.

The last time my wife and I were at the park we were in the Orion queue later in the day. It was obvious some people were getting tired of their masks and were not wearing them properly or at all. During that time there was no ride op's policing it. 10 minutes later over at DB, a ride op was getting the trash and getting onto people. It can change very quickly both ways.

I am at the park right now and have seen some walking around with a chin guard on instead of a mask over their mouth/nose. I have also seen employees get onto people. 

Overall, I think the park is doing a really good job. They can't catch everyone and guests should have enough respect for others. In a perfect world though, the park should not have to be getting on to anyone.  

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. Our tickets are for Monday and Tuesday. Feel a bit better now that the consensus seems to be that KI is doing what it can and it sounds like the park is largely empty on weekdays. A bit worried about rain, but what are you gonna do, right? 

2 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

Thanks everyone. Our tickets are for Monday and Tuesday. Feel a bit better now that the consensus seems to be that KI is doing what it can and it sounds like the park is largely empty on weekdays. A bit worried about rain, but what are you gonna do, right? 

Hope you have a great time and don't forget to hop back on here afterwards and give us your thoughs!

• Like 1

It looks like the weather forecast for Tuesday might be better now and the first half of Monday should be solid as well.

I was at the park this whole weekend and felt mask usage was like 99% by guests much to my shock! The few times I succumbed to briefly taking off my mask in off to the side areas due to the heat I was definitely the odd ball out!

Social distancing was weak though especially in high traffic areas like Area 72, but I also feel like that’s something we can have some control of ourselves.

Employee sanitization was also good including coaster trains although oddly I don’t think I ever saw Orion sanitized?? I think Orion was the only coaster I saw running all its trains as well.

I still give KI tons of credit for even being open especially since Ohio is a pretty strict state for COVID restrictions overall.

• Thanks 1

Park is "slammed" today relatively speaking compared to days other than opening weekend.  Diamondback was almost a full queue with partial social distancing as an example.

Despite the weather being cooler, the worse non-compliance of masks and social distancing I have experienced.  Security is on top of what they see though, but they can't catch everything.

They may need to go Disney route and no drinks in midways or queues...several people with empty cups in queues saying they are drinking.

Your experience may vary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

They may need to go Disney route and no drinks in midways or queues...several people with empty cups in queues saying they are drinking.

Your experience may vary.

I think the Disney route is the best route to go for all parks. People who walk around with empty cups and masks off are troublemakers imo, and by fixing the loophole, will force them into compliance

• Like 2