How has social distancing/mask usage been?

cdubbs727

On 7/14/2020 at 9:15 AM, cdubbs727 said:

We bit the bullet and bought tickets for a July 27-28 trip to Kings Island (coming down from Michigan for an annual trip). I'm going to be honest that I was on the fence about it, but was outvoted by my wife and kids. I was heartened by the videos for social distancing, mask requirements and the other procedures they put in place. That said, I've seen too many photos of people at other parks ignoring the rules and read too much about surges in case loads to feel completely comfortable. 

So, for those of you who have been to KI since its reopening, what is your opinion about how their safety measures are working? Are people wearing masks? Are they social distancing in lines and at restaurants? How is the case load in southern Ohio? And how have the crowds been (part of our hope has been that travel might be lower this summer, and that we might have low crowds on that Monday and Tuesday). 

I'd prefer answers from people who are taking this seriously and share my concerns. I don't really have patience to hear from anyone saying this is overblown and all the procedures are pointless. 

We were just there this past weekend. They are taking the mask and social distancing serious. If people have their mask down or are too close in lines they are being called out. I expected less people overall but it was still pretty full. Line waits were long because they only fill the rides partially full. Have fun! 

57 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

I think the Disney route is the best route to go for all parks. People who walk around with empty cups and masks off are troublemakers imo, and by fixing the loophole, will force them into compliance

Sunday when @electricsunand I were there, if we had a drink we would just lift the mask up enough to get a sip of the drink and bring the mask right back down until the next sip. There is no need to take off the mask to drink imo.  I was not looking for an excuse not to wear it either.

1 minute ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Sunday when @electricsunand I were there, if we had a drink we would just lift the mask up enough to get a sip of the drink and bring the mask right back down until the next sip. There is no need to take off the mask to drink imo.  I was not looking for an excuse not to wear it either.

I agree. However, many would protest. 

Disney viewed this as a major loophole, especially during the Food and Wine festival, and fixed this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Sunday when @electricsunand I were there, if we had a drink we would just lift the mask up enough to get a sip of the drink and bring the mask right back down until the next sip.

This is what I do when drinking bottled water in public nowadays. Also, when I see social distancing markers while out and about, I think about standing on those dots that correspond to the seat number in line for Delirium.

So, just got back yesterday. It was a good trip. Got two rides on Orion -- one of them front row, which was fantastic. Wish the park had been open later, as we felt we were cramming everything in that we could and it still wasn't enough time. But this was obviously a weird year, and I'm thankful they were open at all. Crowds were very light on Monday (we got cleared out by a rainstorm right around 6:30), but pretty busy on Tuesday, at least compared to the first day. Still, I think my longest wait was FoF at about 45 minutes, although the app was showing an hour for Diamondback (the one ride I didn't get to). 

I was extremely impressed by how seriously Kings Island was taking masks and social distancing, but also how it didn't really detract from having a good time. We were moved so quickly through the temperature check. Hand-sanitizer was available everywhere. The staff would politely but firmly ask people to pull their masks up if they were being worn incorrectly, and I thought the social distancing in queues and on rides was appropriate. What amazed me is that I know the staff likely had to train on this really quickly, but they had it down pat. The Beast was the one that impressed me the most -- they were able to dismiss rows, wipe down the train, and then let a new group on so quickly. I never felt like we waited too long for anything because of the cleaning procedures; in fact, if the lines looked long at all, it was mostly due to people spreading out in line. 

The one exception was FoF. We felt pretty crowded in that queue, although there were periodic announcements to remember to social distance and properly wear masks. 

As others have said, the park guests' adherence to it was the biggest concern. But for the most part, especially on the first day, I'd say 85-90% of the people had masks on and were spreading out. If masks were off, it was usually when people were on a bench far from anyone else and seemed to be taking a break in the heat. If you shot someone a look because their mask was down, they often caught the look and pulled it up. I think most people were also observing the social distancing in the lines. If people were breaking the rule, it was often younger people who probably think they're immune to it, but I think park officials caught the majority of them. I rode White Water Canyon with my 8-year-old son and we were told we were allowed to take our masks off on the ride; I was really grateful for the ride operator who reminded my son to pull his mask back on as soon as we got off the ride. 

Really, Kings Island did a fantastic job in the midst of an awful situation. I imagine they might be losing money just by being open, so I really wanted to take the time to acknowledge how good they did. I felt safer there than I did going into most stores or restaurants by my home. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

So, just got back yesterday. It was a good trip. Got two rides on Orion -- one of them front row, which was fantastic. Wish the park had been open later, as we felt we were cramming everything in that we could and it still wasn't enough time. But this was obviously a weird year, and I'm thankful they were open at all. Crowds were very light on Monday (we got cleared out by a rainstorm right around 6:30), but pretty busy on Tuesday, at least compared to the first day. Still, I think my longest wait was FoF at about 45 minutes, although the app was showing an hour for Diamondback (the one ride I didn't get to). 

I was extremely impressed by how seriously Kings Island was taking masks and social distancing, but also how it didn't really detract from having a good time. We were moved so quickly through the temperature check. Hand-sanitizer was available everywhere. The staff would politely but firmly ask people to pull their masks up if they were being worn incorrectly, and I thought the social distancing in queues and on rides was appropriate. What amazed me is that I know the staff likely had to train on this really quickly, but they had it down pat. The Beast was the one that impressed me the most -- they were able to dismiss rows, wipe down the train, and then let a new group on so quickly. I never felt like we waited too long for anything because of the cleaning procedures; in fact, if the lines looked long at all, it was mostly due to people spreading out in line. 

The one exception was FoF. We felt pretty crowded in that queue, although there were periodic announcements to remember to social distance and properly wear masks. 

As others have said, the park guests' adherence to it was the biggest concern. But for the most part, especially on the first day, I'd say 85-90% of the people had masks on and were spreading out. If masks were off, it was usually when people were on a bench far from anyone else and seemed to be taking a break in the heat. If you shot someone a look because their mask was down, they often caught the look and pulled it up. I think most people were also observing the social distancing in the lines. If people were breaking the rule, it was often younger people who probably think they're immune to it, but I think park officials caught the majority of them. I rode White Water Canyon with my 8-year-old son and we were told we were allowed to take our masks off on the ride; I was really grateful for the ride operator who reminded my son to pull his mask back on as soon as we got off the ride. 

Really, Kings Island did a fantastic job in the midst of an awful situation. I imagine they might be losing money just by being open, so I really wanted to take the time to acknowledge how good they did. I felt safer there than I did going into most stores or restaurants by my home. 

What were your wait times like on Tuesday?

24 minutes ago, chibul said:

What were your wait times like on Tuesday?

Longer than on Monday, but not bad. 45 minutes for FOF. Half hour for Orion. Walk-ons for Banshee, Beast and Backlot. (That's about it; we had a group of kids, so we were in Planet Snoopy for much of the day). I do think some in my group waited 30 minutes for Mystic Timbers; Diamondback looked like about an hour wait. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, MDMC01 said:

This is what I do when drinking bottled water in public nowadays. Also, when I see social distancing markers while out and about, I think about standing on those dots that correspond to the seat number in line for Delirium.

... and I found a picture of this:

image.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

About 10%-20% of the people in the park either don't believe in covid or are uneducated on how to use a mask.    People not wearing their mask at all, or below their nose, or even just on their chin can be seen constantly throughout the day.    It just plain inconsideration to anyone else in the park and they put themselves at greater risk.

The park is definitely not strict on the mask usage.

• Haha 1