Orion or Firehawk and Vortex?

KI Guy

Orion or Firehawk and Vortex?   

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd say it's a fair trade.  Hard to claim we came out ahead since it's a 2 for 1 deal.  Firehawk was a once a year ride for me.  I have some friends who come to town and we get FL+ annually, and I ride it that day. Not a big fan of having to buy a locker so that's a deterrent.  Vortex will always be nostalgic for me since it was one of my first "big" rides, however with how rough it got it started giving me neck pain the day after riding.  I would ride it once or twice a season - but only under peer pressure.  Orion, being a solid addition, has a lot of rerideability.  I'll ride it every visit from here on out more than likely.  So when it comes down to it, at least for me, we traded in two rides that I liked but only rode occasionally for a ride that I will ride a lot. 

• Like 2

Orion more than made up for Firehawk. The part of the ride that didn't make it re-ridable was its super loud anti-rollbacks right at my ears and having my face fully exposed to the sun. If Vekoma built their Flying Dutchmans like B&M Flyers where you face the ground the whole time, I think it would've been more enjoyable to me

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't ridden Orion yet so can't fully say but it's tough choice still. Orion looks fantastic and seems like a top tier coaster. I hate to say a 2 for 1 trade is worth it in general but Orion seems better than both. However, I did enjoy both Firehawk and Vortex but they were both a little rough and not super re-rideable because of how I would feel getting off. And most of my friends and family didn't like/couldn't handle Firehawk at all so only really rode it when i had fastpass to get on and off quick. Vortex was a classic though so I am sad to see it go.

Think once we have a Vortex replacement it will be fine just hate seeing two taken out back to back, but getting Orion is a good step.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I would be willing to trade Orion for a fully functioning never breaking down Firehawk. Here is why and its all just my opinion. Firehawk was likely the best Vekoma flying Dutchman. Only other one I've rode was Nighthawk and its better than that one. I miss Firehawk and it gave some amazing night rides. You either loved Firehawk or you hated it. Unlike Orion which I think everybody is gonna like but some will love. Orion isn't better than Fury 325. I prefer something unique or the best ride in its class when visiting a park.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On July 15, I replied to this topic saying I will pick an answer...eventually. I pondered this question during many a wait for Orion.

My answer?

Keep Orion.

*everybody gasps* "But...but you love Vortex!" you all say. "Do you not want Vortex back?!?"

Kindly let me explain.

As much as I would absolutely love having Vortex back or at least having it co-exist with Orion, the entire process of slowly letting Vortex go would start over entirely. Last fall and winter, as fun and memorable as they were, also proved very rough for me emotionally and mentally. After months of facing a fear of letting go, I finally made it as far as letting Vortex go and moving on without it.

While Vortex fell, Orion rose above Kings Island's skyline. After being initially excited at its announcement and then not caring for it at all during Vortex's last months, my interest in Orion returned and my anticipation for my eventual first ride rose with each placed piece. How could I not get excited for the ride that I wished Kings Island would get? Eventually I would witness Orion's very first cycle, assist in its construction by helping install its sound equipment, and take in the view from its 287-foot summit with my own eyes for the first of many times. While weighed down with grief over losing Vortex, I could always look over at Orion and see what was new as its construction progressed. Multiple times I would be looking over Vortex's old stomping grounds when right on cue I would hear Orion's lift ramp up and see a train rise above the trees. Seeing it take shape was definitely a highlight of my early 2020, and I knew that quite well by the time my first opportunity to ride it finally rolled around. Now, about two months and another 176 rides after my first 300-foot plunge, Orion has a solidified place in my group of favorite rides and I make sure to ride it at least once a trip, just like I did Vortex. Dare I say it, but I'm beginning to appreciate Orion as much as I appreciate Vortex, among other classic favorites including WindSeeker, Diamondback, the other Arrow coasters, and yes, Invertigo. :)

Do I still miss Vortex? Absolutely. Will looking at photos, videos, and my personal accounts of Vortex still hit me right in the feels? Always. Vortex helped me face not only my fear of inversions, but also my fear of letting go of something special. At some point, someone or something you love can no longer move forward with you, and you must leave them behind with only their memory to accompany you into the future. Getting to ride Vortex even one more time would be AMAZING, but having to let it go all over again? Not so amazing...

• Like 4