Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Mack powersplash knockoff is the only one I am underwhelmed about. However, launched raptor looks incredible and the lsm launch looks like a beefed up version of sandy’s blasting bronco, but it’s still really cool. New element is always welcome.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

Of all ride types to rip off why in the world would they choose the Sky Rocket II?

They're quality rides that are relatively inexpensive, easy to clone and install, very marketable, and take up next to no land. They have been Premier's biggest hit this decade. These are much better rides than similar coasters like Vekoma Boomerangs and Intamin Impulses (not the GIB's though). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

These concepts look cool but if it didn't say "Intamin" you'd think they were designs from Premier, Mack, and RMC. I think they're trying to play catch up. Yes they built Pantheon, Hagrid, and the Jurassic World coaster but I think they're trying to find their footing in a changing industry. I think they want to be THE single rail manufacturer since RMC isn't doing much with their single rail concepts. The Skyrocket knockoff doesn't suprise me either since most companies have developed coasters that are compact and easy to clone. The ultra splash is just a power splash knockoff imo. The giga splash looks cool. I just feel like they've become a shell of their former self with these designs. The rapid switch track launched coasters they've made look awesome but other than that the models I've listed are reminiscent of other manufacturer's work.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say, I was not expecting this much negativity surrounding the unthinkable reality of Intamin... my goodness... borrowing ideas from other manufacturers. As in, this is literally how the industry, and any industry ever has worked.

It's even more shocking considering how many concepts and influences other manufacturers have gotten from Intamin.

As I detailed in an earlier post, its the just the way of the game for competing entities to offer very similar products.

Look at all the Mack Rides that have been built in the past decade that are strikingly similar to so many rides Intamin has made.

Look at Storm at Etnaland (2013) and Alpina Blitz at Nigloland (2014) and you'll see they're almost indistinguishable from Intamin's Mega-lites, a concept that came out just a few years prior.

Zierer has made some coasters (Wicked at Lagoon, Impulse at Knoebels) that are basically the same concept as Gerstlauer's Euro-fighter/Infinity coasters.

GCI is following RMC's lead of wanting to incorporate launches and inversions on future rides.

I could list many more, but you get the point. And even if some of these are "exactly the same" as others. Who cares? I'm sure if the parks/chains feel the same way than that will will be reflected in them not purchasing said concept over the original.

I also find it silly that as much as its bemoaned Intamin getting overly-ambitious in their designs and thus compounding their existing reputation of unreliability, we then lampoon them for trying to be more grounded and sticking more to what works?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BeastForever said:

I will say, I was not expecting this much negativity surrounding the unthinkable reality of Intamin... my goodness... borrowing ideas from other manufacturers. As in, this is literally how the industry, and any industry ever has worked.

It's even more shocking considering how many concepts and influences other manufacturers have gotten from Intamin.

As I detailed in an earlier post, its the just the way of the game for competing entities to offer very similar products.

Look at all the Mack Rides that have been built in the past decade that are strikingly similar to so many rides Intamin has made.

Look at Storm at Etnaland (2013) and Alpina Blitz at Nigloland (2014) and you'll see they're almost indistinguishable from Intamin's Mega-lites, a concept that came out just a few years prior.

Zierer has made some coasters (Wicked at Lagoon, Impulse at Knoebels) that are basically the same concept as Gerstlauer's Euro-fighter/Infinity coasters.

GCI is following RMC's lead of wanting to incorporate launches and inversions on future rides.

I could list many more, but you get the point. And even if some of these are "exactly the same" as others. Who cares? I'm sure if the parks/chains feel the same way than that will will be reflected in them not purchasing said concept over the original.

I also find it silly that as much as its bemoaned Intamin getting overly-ambitious in their designs and thus compounding their existing reputation of unreliability, we then lampoon them for trying to be more grounded and sticking more to what works?

It’s not really ride style we are disappointed about, or maybe it’s just me. The powersplash knockoff is absolutely ridiculous because it is literally a cloned layout. Yeah sure, they have single rail track on it, but that is literally the only difference apart from the larger trains. The lsm launch I actually really like because it is an original layout. That’s my opinion though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is technically true for the Powersplash style ride, but there's not really a lot you can do with that. The same thing could be said of all the large flume style ride that came before like Amazon Falls where every company's were the same style and layout. Te shorter ones had the simple oval design with the double down and the large ones like at Cedar Point had a figure out layout.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, purdude86 said:

That is technically true for the Powersplash style ride, but there's not really a lot you can do with that. The same thing could be said of all the large flume style ride that came before like Amazon Falls where every company's were the same style and layout. Te shorter ones had the simple oval design with the double down and the large ones like at Cedar Point had a figure out layout.

Intamin literally just took their water ride and revamped it. I don’t think it’s a knockoff. Unless you mean the boat rides, that’s not exactly a boat ride, it’s just a rethinking of their water coaster like the one at energylandia.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The designs are cool, I just thought there'd have been more originality. People praise Intamin for making innovative, world class rides but most of these designs are very similar to current models. I understand its common practice for manufacturers to make their own versions of other manufacturers work. I also understand these are smaller concepts that aren't meant to be ground breaking but I honestly was underwhelmed. I'm interested to see how their launched single rails turn out though. All in all, it just seems like they've stepped back with these designs. Then again, maybe they want to go smaller to attract smaller parks and rebuild their reputation with chains they haven't worked with in a while like Cedar Fair and Six Flags

Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering RMC introduced the T Rex track 6 years ago and have yet to fully develop/sell said model, I can see Intamin easily beating them to the punch. Maybe it's because they've been in the industry a while and are a more trusted name with considerably more installations. I'm not really sure. Just a guess. And yes, Intamin is still very much active and trusted company, even though Cedar Fair does not feel that way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect Intamin will have the same problem RMC has had with producing T-Rex track.  The problem is it takes pretty specialized equipment to bend that large and thick of metal into the right shapes before welding.  RMC has stated they would need some very large equipment orders to be able to actually produce a T-Rex coaster, simply put it’s not coming anytime soon.

Also is there anything a wider single rail can do which standard track cannot?  What makes Raptor track so special is the riders are straddling the rail, but extending the track width removes this advantage because riders are basically in the same position as on regular track.  I am not convinced for a company like Intamin who has a long history of producing standard track using round rails there is much of a point in investing in a wider single rail.
 

Before anyone mentions that new boat ride from Intamin which uses a single rail, it does but the rail only bends in one axis, no complex curves.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I suspect Intamin will have the same problem RMC has had with producing T-Rex track.  The problem is it takes pretty specialized equipment to bend that large and thick of metal into the right shapes before welding.  RMC has stated they would need some very large equipment orders to be able to actually produce a T-Rex coaster, simply put it’s not coming anytime soon.

Also is there anything a wider single rail can do which standard track cannot?  What makes Raptor track so special is the riders are straddling the rail, but extending the track width removes this advantage because riders are basically in the same position as on regular track.  I am not convinced for a company like Intamin who has a long history of producing standard track using round rails there is much of a point in investing in a wider single rail.
 

Before anyone mentions that new boat ride from Intamin which uses a single rail, it does but the rail only bends in one axis, no complex curves.

I am sure Stakotra has it figured out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Single rails probably allow for less supports to be used since I imagine using solid steel track adds some structural integrity.  That probably also allows RMC to do more intense maneuvers and tighter radiuses when it comes to curves, airtime hills, and inversions.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KIBeast said:

And yes, Intamin is still very much active and trusted company, even though Cedar Fair does not feel that way.

The main problem I personally have with Intamin is that they over promise- especially with their capacity numbers. I've enjoyed every Intamin coaster I've ever ridden but I'd never want one at KI from an operations and maintenance standpoint. Yes they've become more reliable than in years past but they've left a bad taste in Cedar Fair's mouth. I believe Dick Kinzel mentioned that he regretted installing TTD.

Its all about ROI. Universal hired Intamin because they wanted a multi launch ride that featured a rapid switch track double drop tracks and 12 trains. They got this but also received the capacity issues and the multiple sensor issues due to the rides complexity. Unfortunately, innovation comes at a cost.

Most of Cedar Fair's parks are seasonal so they can't necessarily afford the downtime where as year round parks can. Universal can close Hagrid's early because they have the rest of the year to keep it operating. Cedar Point can only operate Maverick for a few months out of the year from summer to fall. I'd argue if Cedar Fair had a KI sized property in a year round setting they'd be more willing to gamble with Intamin because the downtime wouldn't be as servere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@SonofBaconator, completely agree with some of that. Millennium Force has a nice capacity, albeit that is only anecdotal in evidence as more of them do not have the capacity as claimed, as you pointed out. As far as other Intamin installations, I wasn't even considering Hagrid's. I just know that they are a lot more active outside of the U.S. 

With Dragster, I think the technology was rushed into use. I know that Intamin had used that kind of technology before TTD, but not on that scale. It's a lot more of a complex issue than just building a more powerful launch to cover the extreme height difference. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...