New food item at Kings Island (this one is on the meal plan!)

BoddaH1994

Tried it today. 

Full disclosure, I’m not a big CFA fan.

This sandwich was bigger than CFA, but clearly took inspiration from it.  It was a patty, not a “tender sandwich.” A little too bead-y. Bun was very good. Toasted and buttered. Didn’t blow me away, but I’d eat it again. 6/10

• Like 1

I had posted in another thread that it looked like CFA without waffle fries LOL.  Plus I posted if it was at Chicken Shack I would pass.  I rarely have gotten what I thought was decent chicken - either the oil hadn't been changed in a while, the chicken was to tough or hard, etc.  Never had the consistency like CFA does.  I usually eat the salad without the chicken LOL.  Rarely do I take more than one bite of the chicken unfortunately.

On 7/23/2020 at 6:18 PM, disco2000 said:

If all this ends up being is Chicken Shack on a bun, forget it LOL.  The Shack usually make a decent salad, but maybe once or twice a year I find the chicken to actually be worth eating LOL.

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Tried it today. 

Full disclosure, I’m not a big CFA fan.

This sandwich was bigger than CFA, but clearly took inspiration from it.  It was a patty, not a “tender sandwich.” A little too bead-y. Bun was very good. Toasted and buttered. Didn’t blow me away, but I’d eat it again. 6/10

Was the patty seasoned/fried in the same way the Chicken Shack tenders are?

1 hour ago, IceePirate said:

Not that good tbh. The bun is the same flavor and texture as their toast, so that's good. The sandwich would be good, but there's no sauce, and the pickles are sweet. I've never understood KIs logic for using sweet instead of dill pickles

I felt like it could use cheese. 

2 hours ago, IceePirate said:

Not that good tbh. The bun is the same flavor and texture as their toast, so that's good. The sandwich would be good, but there's no sauce, and the pickles are sweet. I've never understood KIs logic for using sweet instead of dill pickles

Chicken Shack seems to be a knockoff Raising Canes but without the Canes sauce that makes everything so good.

4 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Chicken Shack seems to be a knockoff Raising Canes but without the Canes sauce that makes everything so good.

They do have their own knockoff Cane’s sauce. It’s quite tasty, but I think you have to specifically ask for it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

They do have their own knockoff Cane’s sauce. It quite tasty, but I think you have to specifically ask for it.

Is it included this year or are they charging for it again?  (I've heard conflicting things in the past)

I tried it yesterday. I didn't think it was bad. I would say it's closer to a tender than a patty. To me, a patty is a more uniform size and is pretty heavily processed. The chicken itself was moist and not overcooked. The top bun was toasted well, but the bottom bun didn't hold any of its crunch because of the amount of butter used. Both top and bottom bun were drenched in butter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it definitely overpowered the rest of the sandwich and was pretty heavy for a hot day at the park. 

On 7/27/2020 at 10:21 PM, KIghostguy said:

Was the patty seasoned/fried in the same way the Chicken Shack tenders are?

If it was seasoned the same way, there wasn't nearly as much as the tenders. It also didn't have as thick of a breading on it. I think it could have done with more seasoning (or less butter on the buns)

Would I order it again? Probably. Would it be my first choice in the park? Probably not.

20200728_121401.jpg

20200728_121409.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

What is the name for the sauce? If I walk up and ask for the knockoff Canes sauce will that work too?

I just ask for the house sauce, and it was free.  Did you know you can make Chicken Shack chicken at home?  And the sauce too?  I've done it twice and it was quite tasty!

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2020/april/kings-islands-famous-chicken-shack-chicken-tenders-and-secret-sauce?fbclid=IwAR294C1R0VTbnjInAutWDS6-11MOqvvHn2AfY_fmT0WdplZlWbyFDVUA3_o

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Zader said:

I tried it yesterday. I didn't think it was bad. I would say it's closer to a tender than a patty. To me, a patty is a more uniform size and is pretty heavily processed. The chicken itself was moist and not overcooked. The top bun was toasted well, but the bottom bun didn't hold any of its crunch because of the amount of butter used. Both top and bottom bun were drenched in butter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it definitely overpowered the rest of the sandwich and was pretty heavy for a hot day at the park. 

If it was seasoned the same way, there wasn't nearly as much as the tenders. It also didn't have as thick of a breading on it. I think it could have done with more seasoning (or less butter on the buns)

Would I order it again? Probably. Would it be my first choice in the park? Probably not.

20200728_121401.jpg

20200728_121409.jpg

I found it unremarkable, but certainly not bad. If you like CFA you might like this. It’s bigger than a CFA sandwich so if I had to choose between the two I’d probably choose this. I actually thought the buttery bun was the redeeming feature, so I guess we don’t see eye to eye on that. I stand by my previous comment: it needs a slice of cheese. I that, along with maybe a sauce, could bring it all together.

To be clear again, if you like CFA or Chicken Shack you’ll love this. It had a disadvantage out of the gate because I’m not a fan of either. The fries are good and they have some sort of chili powder seasoning. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had the sandwich on Friday. I thought it was good, but the flavor of the bun overwhelmed the chicken. It tasted like eating a thick slice of the Texas toast with a crunchy middle (and this was even with the house sauce on it). I think it’s worth trying once, but next time I’m at the Chicken Shack, I’m going back to the usual chicken tender meal.

• Like 1