Vortex question

Vortex1987

GREAT news! Thanks to IceePirate, my piece is secured!! I am finally going to get my piece of arrow history! I cannot thank you all enough here at KICentral for helping me make this happen. Im thankful for everyone here who helped me realize my dreams. A huge thank you to IceePirate for securing my piece of Vortex. Thank you everyone here so much.  I owe you all here at KICentral a HUGE one. Im thankful i finally get to get my piece of arrow history. Thank you so much. Thank you!!

• Like 7

^He did me a wonderful thing. Something ill cherish for my entire life. And thanks for the pagoda shop for selling them. IceePirate,  i wish i could let you know just how happy i am that you did this for me. Thank you so much to everyone here for the support and helping to get the park to sell peices. I seriously cannot wait until my piece is finally in my hands. :)

• Like 3

Although it’s been said, many times, many ways...anyone selling one of The Vortex kits on eBay should be ashamed of themselves. (I hope it is no one here on KIC.)

I picture this ruining it for anyone that actually needs more than one of a limited collectible item in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

The preorder one on EBAY is seller iceeelectronics in Cincinnati.  @IceePiratesurprised no one is thinking its you with the screen names so close, lol.

Yeah, what's also another big coincidence is I actually know the guy who runs the account. We both got our names from a similar source. He essentially sells things on eBay as a way of helping pay for college. I don't blame him at all, because the park could've either made more, or the cost of college could be much lower. Someone was always going to scalp pieces, it's human nature, I'm just glad the profits are going to a good cause.

Yeah I don't really have a problem with the eBay sales, mostly because these were not a gift or gratuity.  In order to get one, someone had to actually go to the park and buy one.  Add to this the fact that many of these will likely be purchased by other coaster enthusiasts around the country who did not have an opportunity to buy one otherwise.  

I applaud the park for their effort to make these available.  I hope that they were pleased with the interest level and the results.  I hope they and other parks will continue to do these sorts of things in the future.  

Kings Island is a well-known regional amusement park.  I think there would have been a decent amount of sales from the national and international coaster community if these had been available online also.  

They should build on the popularity of this sale when they retrack major sections of the woodies in the park.  Take the old wood, put it on a plaque and sell it.  Much like college and pro teams did when they put new turf down or redid the basketball court.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, standbyme said:

Although it’s been said, many times, many ways...anyone selling one of The Vortex kits on eBay should be ashamed of themselves. (I hope it is no one here on KIC.)

I picture this ruining it for anyone that actually needs more than one of a limited collectible item in the future.

Why should or would someone be ashamed if they bought something, and someone else is willing to pay them more for it than they bought it for? I guess you've never owned a house.

3 hours ago, Vortex1987 said:

IceePirate told me my piece is secured but on backorder until January or so. That means it IS confirmed though right? I WILL get my piece right? The wait doesnt bother me. I just want conformation of my piece being ordered.

Yep, you're good. I already paid for it, just gotta play the waiting game for a few months.

• Like 1

^I can wait. :) knowing that my piece of history is secured alone is enough to make the whole rest of the year worth it. Thank you so much for this. Itll be a masterpiece sitting in my room on its shelf. Itll definitely be worth the wait. :)

Its really difficult to let you all know here how thankful I am for this. This is something i am going to cherish for my entire life. Thank you to everyone here at KIC for helping me make my dreams come true. Thank you to Kings Island for finally helping me get my hands on a piece of beauty. And a HUGE thank you to IceePirate for helping me secure my piece of arrow history. Thank you so much everyone for helping me on my quest for a piece of my favorite ride of all time. Thank you so much everyone! Thank you!! :):):D:D

• Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 8:49 PM, bjcolglazier said:

Why should or would someone be ashamed if they bought something, and someone else is willing to pay them more for it than they bought it for? I guess you've never owned a house.

We both know that comparing the reselling of a house and this are worlds apart. With a home you either have years of extra maintenance cost invested, or if you are flipping houses you have remodeling expenses...that is not the case here.

I do not have a problem with anyone selling something they own at a profit...I have sold stuff I no longer want/need on eBay many times. I have a problem when someone takes away someone else’s opportunity to buy something the same way they did purely to make an obscene amount of profit.

I think that there is a difference between reselling something that has appreciated in value over time, compared to price gouging/scalping. For example, in the early stages of this “wonderful” COVID madness, sanitizer wipes did not truly appreciate in value by 800% overnight...yet they were selling for that...that is price gouging/scalping. (I am glad that the government and Amazon attempted to stop it.) 

In the case of these Vortex kits, when someone knowingly bought an extra one just to scalp, the outcome was that another fan who just wanted to own one for themselves had one less chance at succeeding in their quest due to someone else’s greed.

Yes, I know there is a BIG difference between the need to buy sanitizer wipes during a crisis and a piece of a coaster, but all of the same excuses people have listed above could still be used...”they were in the store, everyone had the same chance to buy them”...”the seller was using the extra money to pay off their debts”...at what point does it become morally okay to gouge someone?

I’m curious, if you wanted one of these and were standing in line and the person in front of you bought the last two...are you telling me you would not be upset to find out that one of them was just to be resold on eBay within’ hours?

I followed this sale pretty good...I feel so bad for all of the out-of-state fans who were posting how bad they were hoping some would be left to be sold on line...only to be left with the option of paying WAY over twice the asking price if they want one.

I know no one is putting a gun to their head to pay it...I was just giving my opinion on how I feel...right or wrong...and I don’t know why I let the subject get to me so much because I know in my heart it is a battle I can never win. I guess in life, we are only “in this together” on the big things. 

I will now step off of my soapbox! :P

• Like 6

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

We both know that comparing the reselling of a house and this are worlds apart. With a home you either have years of extra maintenance cost invested, or if you are flipping houses you have remodeling expenses...that is not the case here.

I do not have a problem with anyone selling something they own at a profit...I have sold stuff I no longer want/need on eBay many times. I have a problem when someone takes away someone else’s opportunity to buy something the same way they did purely to make an obscene amount of profit.

I think that there is a difference between reselling something that has appreciated in value over time, compared to price gouging/scalping. For example, in the early stages of this “wonderful” COVID madness, sanitizer wipes did not truly appreciate in value by 800% overnight...yet they were selling for that...that is price gouging/scalping. (I am glad that the government and Amazon attempted to stop it.) 

In the case of these Vortex kits, when someone knowingly bought an extra one just to scalp, the outcome was that another fan who just wanted to own one for themselves had one less chance at succeeding in their quest due to someone else’s greed.

Yes, I know there is a BIG difference between the need to buy sanitizer wipes during a crisis and a piece of a coaster, but all of the same excuses people have listed above could still be used...”they were in the store, everyone had the same chance to buy them”...”the seller was using the extra money to pay off their debts”...at what point does it become morally okay to gouge someone?

I’m curious, if you wanted one of these and were standing in line and the person in front of you bought the last two...are you telling me you would not be upset to find out that one of them was just to be resold on eBay within’ hours?

I followed this sale pretty good...I feel so bad for all of the out-of-state fans who were posting how bad they were hoping some would be left to be sold on line...only to be left with the option of paying WAY over twice the asking price if they want one.

I know no one is putting a gun to their head to pay it...I was just giving my opinion on how I feel...right or wrong...and I don’t know why I let the subject get to me so much because I know in my heart it is a battle I can never win! guess in life, we are only “in this together” on the big things. 

To counter, the park could have limited it to one pp, or, to be more equitable, split the number in half and sell some in person and some online.  Disney puts out limited edition merch all the time and while it does limit it to one pp, they still find their way onto ebay.

8 hours ago, standbyme said:

Yeah, I mean it's a piece of a roller-coaster. Not exactly necessary for life. And it's now a collectible, as they're sold out. Sometimes that's how it goes. If you REALLY want one you either bid for it on ebay or let it go. Or hope the park sells some more, and you get in line early enough. Is supply and demand really a moral issue when we're talking about a 1.5" piece of roller coaster? I guess it is if you want to make it one.

20 hours ago, Gabe said:

To counter, the park could have limited it to one pp, or, to be more equitable, split the number in half and sell some in person and some online.  Disney puts out limited edition merch all the time and while it does limit it to one pp, they still find their way onto ebay.

Because of the outrageous scalping issues they've faced, Disney has now instituted MerchPass on ShopDisney.com.  The stores must now adhere to a "lottery" system when exclusives are released at retail.  Ticketmaster has done the same with Verified fan and virtual queing.

I have a very distinct opinion on this subject, since I've spent the past 25 years in an industry that fights scalping everyday.  But, frankly, this board is already waaaaay to full of people's opinions,  and virtually Every.Single.Thread becomes a disagreement or argument anymore.

I will say, KI did a really good thing.  And those of us that got a souvenir are lucky to have one.  Most parks would have never given it a second thought.  KI knew just how much Vortex meant to its fans... that's why the first track that was removed prior to demolition was the section ultimately used for these keepsakes.  I also have heard that there's more to come as far as preservation of a piece of Vortex track.  I applaud them for understanding Vortex's place in the park's history, preserving a part of it, and putting a little bit of that history in the hands of those that will cherish it.

• Like 8