Vortex question

Vortex1987

I'm going to be real for a second, anyone who is selling right now is not using their noggin for a lack of better terms. First off, the value of the product will gradually increase, I wouldn't put an exact percentage, but with it being such a sought after product there will be a market in the future. Secondly, selling this quickly is not the best idea, because honestly you're only playing into the narrative of the coaster enthusiast only out for cash. Enjoy your piece, maybe keep the other one for awhile sealed up just in case that piece were to have something happen to it. I think if you, an owner of a luxury, priceless object, wish to sell your piece at a later date, that's fine. It's capitalism, make money to get more stuff...... at a later point after all the sales have been made and the price has time to go up for a product. 

Appreciation folks, appreciate your Vortex pieces, and wait for the appreciation of the value thereof.

For those of you who are wondering, no I'm not selling mine, ever. 

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

...and virtually Every.Single.Thread becomes a disagreement or argument anymore.

I don’t see that at all. 

(Too easy of a joke to pass up. :P I would have used the term “straight man”...but I did that once on here and someone thought I was alluding to their sexuality!)

• Haha 4

I'll never sell mine. I dont care about the money. It's something with a lot of personal meaning to me. I don't care how much its worth in a few years or something, it has a deep connection to me. And it brings me happiness and, its odd to say, closure with Vortex's removal. Im thankful im finally going to get my hands on a peice of Vortex. And im incredibly thankful to IceePirate for being a massive help in my quest for this. I cant wait until January or February when my piece is finally in my hands. It'll be the most prized possession I own. Thank you so much everyone here for the help. Thank you KIC, and IceePirate in particular. :)

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I have a very distinct opinion on this subject, since I've spent the past 25 years in an industry that fights scalping everyday.  But, frankly, this board is already waaaaay to full of people's opinions,  and virtually Every.Single.Thread becomes a disagreement or argument anymore.

I will say, KI did a really good thing.  And those of us that got a souvenir are lucky to have one.  Most parks would have never given it a second thought.  KI knew just how much Vortex meant to its fans... that's why the first track that was removed prior to demolition was the section ultimately used for these keepsakes.  I also have heard that there's more to come as far as preservation of a piece of Vortex track.  I applaud them for understanding Vortex's place in the park's history, preserving a part of it, and putting a little bit of that history in the hands of those that will cherish it.

Couldn't have been said any better.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, grsupercity said:

Any chance they are going to make a second run of them? First set sold out very quickly 

No chance, they advertised the item as limited edition, and that these would be the only ones that were ever made. If they released another run, then they'd have some problems on their hands.

• Like 2

At $198.70 a pop it sounds like the park really under-estimated demand. Perhaps they will reconsider supply? I really don't think this collector's item will gain much in value over time, but the park should take note. If and when the day comes, they can make several million bucks selling off The Beast to fans. If they plan ahead for it.

No chance, they advertised the item as limited edition, and that these would be the only ones that were ever made. If they released another run, then they'd have some problems on their hands.

I saw the part that it was a limited edition, but I missed the language "that these would be the only ones that were ever made". 

Is that real?

58 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I saw the part that it was a limited edition, but I missed the language "that these would be the only ones that were ever made". 

Is that real?

You can't do a second run of a limited edition set, otherwise it wouldn't be limited edition anymore.

Plus, I don't think the park physically has enough track to make more. Maybe 10ish more if they have enough scrap, but that's if they're gonna sell more

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IceePirate said:

You can't do a second run of a limited edition set, otherwise it wouldn't be limited edition anymore.

Plus, I don't think the park physically has enough track to make more. Maybe 10ish more if they have enough scrap, but that's if they're gonna sell more

Only people that are effected with another run of the product are people like your buddy that resales them.  The people that have mostly bought them are not going to sell them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, standbyme said:

A piece of the track was my number one choice for a souvenir...so I am happy, but the park missed the boat not saving (and selling) pieces of the iconic station...which would have doubled as a Bat souvenir too! 

Hopefully they are paying attention. I don't know what they get for scrap (or trash), but I'm thinking there's a lot of us that would buy pieces of old KI rides. They don't even have to make it so pretty...lol. They could sell stuff at the park or create their own ebay page or just put it on the website store. All sorts of things I'm thinking people would buy.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

Hopefully they are paying attention. I don't know what they get for scrap (or trash), but I'm thinking there's a lot of us that would buy pieces of old KI rides. They don't even have to make it so pretty...lol. They could sell stuff at the park or create their own ebay page or just put it on the website store. All sorts of things I'm thinking people would buy.

This is true... I'd be down for buying an old wheel or brake pad that's outlived it's service life and is destined for the dumpster...

On 10/12/2020 at 8:27 AM, Honorarius said:

This is true... I'd be down for buying an old wheel or brake pad that's outlived it's service life and is destined for the dumpster...

I have been trying to get my hand on a real roller coaster wheel. I would much rather have a running wheel over a guide wheel or upstop wheel. Places like blackpool pleasure beach sell old ride parts online and in park. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grsupercity said:

I have been trying to get my hand on a real roller coaster wheel. I would much rather have a running wheel over a guide wheel or upstop wheel. Places like blackpool pleasure beach sell old ride parts online and in park. 

Wheels are somewhat rare.  They are a wear item so you would think they get replaced frequently.  But what happens is they are reused like car tire rims.  The nylon, urethane, etc is removed, and they are checked for damage and relined.  Since they are remanufactured parks rarely dispose of them.  For a ride like Vortex the wheels will be interchangeable with others in the chain, maybe even Adventure Express, and they would have been sent to other parks or kept at KI if possible.

Unless a wheel was somehow physically damaged, which I would have to think is an incredibly rare event, the wheel would seem to be reusable/rebuildable.  Arrow used the same wheel design since the first corkscrew model at KBF in 1975.  I believe the only real design change was an increase in diameter when the three 7-loopers came along starting with Shockwave at SFGAm.  Shockwave, GASM (SFGAdv) and Viper (SFMM) wheels have/had 9 ribs on them vs The Vortex and earlier wheels with 5. 

Not related to Vortex - but as I recall, when Shockwave first opened it used the smaller, standard-diameter Arrow wheel which wasn't up to the task.  The urethane was literally melting in some cases and the wheels would start squealing.  When the Ops heard the noise, the ride would be shut down temporarily during the day so maintenance could take teh train out of service and replace the damaged wheel.  That led Arrow to create the larger diameter wheel which was better able to cope with the stress and temps generated by the ride.  Again - that's the way I understand it.

I do wonder how much a single wheel would cost if S&S would actually sell one to the public ...  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 11:27 PM, IceePirate said:

Well it appears they're probably going to sell some more. So I guess a second run of a limited edition is possible. What I find confusing is the last time I was at the park about 10 days ago there was still a big piece of track---about 10-15 feet or so I'd guess---lying roundabout where the station used to be. This was after the first run of the limited edition items sold. Is that piece still there, and why?

4 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

Well it appears they're probably going to sell some more. So I guess a second run of a limited edition is possible. What I find confusing is the last time I was at the park about 10 days ago there was still a big piece of track---about 10-15 feet or so I'd guess---lying roundabout where the station used to be. This was after the first run of the limited edition items sold. Is that piece still there, and why?

They may not have cut pieces from that track yet to be used for the plaques, that's always what I thought

• 1 month later...

Hey you guys!! :D:D I have amazing news!!! My peice of Vortex will be on its way to me tomorrow and in my hands most likely by next week!!! Im so happy my dreams have come true!! Thank you IMMENSELY to IceePirate for making this happen!! Thank you everyone here for helping me make this happen!! Thank you all so much!!! :D:D:D

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Vortex1987 said:

Hey you guys!! :D:D I have amazing news!!! My peice of Vortex will be on its way to me tomorrow and in my hands most likely by next week!!! Im so happy my dreams have come true!! Thank you IMMENSELY to IceePirate for making this happen!! Thank you everyone here for helping me make this happen!! Thank you all so much!!! :D:D:D

That is so awesome. KIC member making dreams come true. Thanks @IceePirate

• Like 1