Kings Island launches 4K cinematic series

BoddaH1994

I wish the KI&MV Railroad one was longer.  I like how on most of the rides they were able to get just the sounds of the rides, and guests.  The handful of scenes where they picked up either music from the park or another ride like WindSeeker really stand out like they do not belong.  They also need a trailer at the end of some kind, if they are going to embed a link to another YouTube video or if they display the snoopy logo so that they are not on top of the video your trying to watch.

Overall though pretty good.  They look good on my 4K computer monitor.

Why do they always put that grey filter over 4K coaster videos? Both these Kings Island ones and ones on other channels. Is it a camera issue?

No, it’s called using an ND filter to allow for a wider aperture (smaller F-stop (T-stop when it comes to video cameras such as the one used in their video)) to get a more shallow depth of field in bright daylight and not blowing out the image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Maddog said:

Why does KI always link to unlisted YouTube videos?  It would be great just to watch all of these on mobile in the YouTube app instead of browser embedded.  

Probably to increase the viewership numbers for the blog.

You can pull up the video from the blog and cast it to a TV, Chromecast, or other device that supports Google Cast.  YouTube apps on at least some of these devices (e.g. my Roku) support this functionality.  You can also mark the video as a favorite, add it to your own playlist/Watch Later list, or pull it up from your history (if your smart TV/box allows you to browse YouTube history).  It's not as convenient as pulling up a search on the smart TV/box, but it isn't much more complicated.

1 hour ago, Maddog said:

Why does KI always link to unlisted YouTube videos?  It would be great just to watch all of these on mobile in the YouTube app instead of browser embedded.  

Less than 1% of the videos on Kings Island's YouTube channel are unlisted, which is a far cry from "always" linked to unlisted. They start out as unlisted until the content they're going to be associated with (blogs, email newsletters, etc.) has been published/distributed. 

• Like 5

While I'm not interested in an arguing match...just want to put this out there...

Every time I've seen something interesting on my Twitter feed from KI, I've hit this issue.  So from my perspective--yes it is always.  I cant say I've ever bothered to go back and check later.  Usually because it rolls off and I don't think about it again.

I see that now, just a few hours later, they are showing up as listed and I can find them from the YouTube app.  It sounds like it is something to do with the release process.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

No, it’s called using an ND filter to allow for a wider aperture (smaller F-stop (T-stop when it comes to video cameras such as the one used in their video)) to get a more shallow depth of field in bright daylight and not blowing out the image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think he’s using an ND filter. I think he’s using some sort of polarized filter. I’d like it if it was just a shot or two but to use it for basically everything got a little old. If anything I’d use the bright sun as an excuse to shoot at a higher frame rate if possible. Other than that I liked the footage. 

11 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I’d like it if it was just a shot or two but to use it for basically everything got a little old. 

The rule of thumb is that if one shot looks one way, all other shots in that sequence must match. Otherwise, it is just jarring. 

I can see why some might not like the "sunglass" look here. If done right, it can look cinematic. But even big budget movies over-indulge it and the result can be a rather painful headache that won't go away (which is probably just my body's way of saying I shouldn't watch Michael Bay movies :P ). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KI enthusiasts:  The park doesn't do ANYTHING for us.  Their YouTube isn't updated.  We can't fly drones or post off season ariel pictures.  There is no Orion POV. This sucks!

The park:  Ok, here's a Orion POV!  Here's some nice high quality footage shot around the park on YouTube.

KI enthusiasts:  The Orion POV is terrible and amateur.  The quality of the shots from yesterday is subpar.  It looks like Coaster Studios shot it.  I can't find it on YouTube.  It doesn't suit my needs.

The park:  I can't believe these people.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

KI enthusiasts:  The park doesn't do ANYTHING for us.  Their YouTube isn't updated.  We can't fly drones or post off season ariel pictures.  There is no Orion POV. This sucks!

The park:  Ok, here's a Orion POV!  Here's some nice high quality footage shot around the park on YouTube.

KI enthusiasts:  The Orion POV is terrible and amateur.  The quality of the shots from yesterday is subpar.  It looks like Coaster Studios shot it.  I can't find it on YouTube.  It doesn't suit my needs.

Sounds like you are cross threading here and would be a good point to bring up there as well. https://kicentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36699-ki-fanpeople

And enthusiasts wonder why tours, meetups, and special enthusiast events no longer happen. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I've only watched the Banshee one so far, but I do like the look.

One thing I'd like to see is a series of mini-documentaries about the history and making of current/former KI attractions. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Sounds like you are cross threading here and would be a good point to bring up there as well. https://KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36699-ki-fanpeople

And enthusiasts wonder why tours, meetups, and special enthusiast events no longer happen. 

The lack of respect enthusiasts have for the park is disgusting. KI has done an excellent thing with shooting an amazing 4K cinematic series, and enthusiasts complain about it. 

If somebody thinks there is something wrong with the quality of the shot film, I would absolutely love to see your attempt, because it would pale in comparison to what KI puts out. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, gforce1994 said:

The lack of respect enthusiasts have for the park is disgusting. KI has done an excellent thing with shooting an amazing 4K cinematic series, and enthusiasts complain about it. 

If somebody thinks there is something wrong with the quality of the shot film, I would absolutely love to see your attempt, because it would pale in comparison to what KI puts out. 

I don't think that's fair. 

I can watch a movie and not like it but not be a film maker.  I can dislike a painting but not be a painter.  

I don't think any critique on here has been unfair.  In fact, I would take the opinion of someone who is just casually viewing and see what strikes them over someone who is a "professional" any day.  Both would notice different things, but the majority of viewers would fall into the camp of the casual viewer, so I would take their opinions to heart a little more.

Plus I want to point out that no one said it looked bad.  No one said it was a stupid idea.  No one said that it looked amateur.  No one said that they didn't like it.  Someone didn't like a filter.  That's all.  Big deal.  Everyone thought it was awesome besides that.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Coaster studios cinematic on Orion looked like it was from Spielberg 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Because they don't harp enough praise? Please. 

Anyone who works with the public would know that the small complaints (no matter how valid) on an enthusiast forum pale in comparison to the general public enjoying an attraction, web feature, etc. To blame small comments on removing a perk (that could otherwise net tons of free promotion and goodwill) sounds like something else. 

Maybe when those comments show up, someone from the park could pipe in with a positive spin—a fresh outlook, a chance to share something cool.

Has anyone ever heard Tony Clark speak?

P.S. Is this all why (insert synonym for "budget") giga is censored?

EDIT: I'll throw this in too: I love the video of International Street and that it has the ambient sounds of the fountain/music. Nice touch. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Because they don't harp enough praise? Please. 

Anyone who works with the public would know that the small complaints (no matter how valid) on an enthusiast forum pale in comparison to the general public enjoying an attraction, web feature, etc. To blame small comments on removing a perk (that could otherwise net tons of free promotion and goodwill) sounds like something else. 

Maybe when those comments show up, someone from the park could pipe in with a positive spin—a fresh outlook, a chance to share something cool.

Has anyone ever heard Tony Clark speak?

P.S. Is this all why (insert synonym for "budget") giga is censored?

EDIT: I'll throw this in too: I love the video of International Street and that it has the ambient sounds of the fountain/music. Nice touch. 

Maybe they should have called it a “value” giga? 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, coaster sally said:

Coaster studios cinematic on Orion looked like it was from Spielberg 

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Steven or Max?

More accurately, it would be Janusz Kaminski, who has been Spielberg's cinematographer since Schindler's List. 

Still looking forward to Max Spielberg's JAWS 19, which was due out in 2015. :P 

32 minutes ago, Joshua said:

More accurately, it would be Janusz Kaminski, who has been Spielberg's cinematographer since Schindler's List. 

Still looking forward to Max Spielberg's JAWS 19, which was due out in 2015. :P 

I saw it in 3D hologram. 

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2020 at 11:16 AM, gforce1994 said:

The lack of respect enthusiasts have for the park is disgusting

On the opposite side of that coin, some enthusiasts brown nose the park to no end with no critiques. Constructive criticism is important and finding the balance is difficult when it's something you care about

On 7/30/2020 at 11:16 AM, gforce1994 said:

People have the right to complain if they want.  Its like people that love their sports teams then complain when they screw up.

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

People have the right to complain if they want.  Its like people that love their sports teams then complain when they screw up.

It’s fine to complain when it’s something easily fixable and one knows what they are talking about. It isn’t fine to complain when one has limited expertise in the field and they are complaining just because they don’t like how it looks.

• Like 1