Markers Placed by Old Columbia Rd.

IndyGuy4KI

13 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am not going to jump to any concussions until I see more than a stake when a flag, but it sure is fun to speculate.

Oww, my head.  ;)

On topic?  It almost looks just like a road/walkway widening or extension.  Could be for a campground.  CP has been adding campsites lately on the old Sandcastle Suites site, but they lost some when they put in cabins/cottages.

47 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

That's really interesting... I wonder if the park just planned on using the small annex of the old campground that wasn't removed for Great Wolf Lodge (center of this photo), or if there were plans to clear some of the old safari land and build a new campground out there. I've always thought the demand for a campground was there, and it seems like that land would be ideal to build one on.

campground.JPG

There’s already a campground in the works behind McDonalds & Wendy’s, so it would be pointless for KI to invest in. Making one as well

13 minutes ago, ki95 said:

There’s already a campground in the works behind McDonalds & Wendy’s, so it would be pointless for KI to invest in. Making one as well

Did some digging and you're right somebody beat them to it. It's shame. I had really hoped KI would bring that element back and having a park-owned campsite back it in the woods along the little miami could have been an extremely cool and unique element for this park.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am hoping this is a sign of a parking lot update, but could be as simple as a new sidewalk. To go further, a new utilities like fiber being run through the area and nothing that will impact rides. 

I am not going to jump to any concussions until I see more than a stake when a flag, but it sure is fun to speculate.

Those markers run under a fiber line and over a sewer line. I wouldn’t read to much into it. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, ki95 said:

20 minutes ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

Did some digging and you're right somebody beat them to it. It's shame. I had really hoped KI would bring that element back and having a park-owned campsite back it in the woods along the little miami could have been an extremely cool and unique element for this park.

Well I was primarily talking about how I've always thought the demand was there, including for the past 15 years that the campground has been gone. Likewise, I'm surprised it took 15 years for someone else to decide to invest in a new campground. And I don't think it'd be pointless - Kings Island's own campground would be closer than the aforementioned one, plus it could offer visitors exclusive perks like a tram service to the entrance, discounted admission, early ride time, etc. I don't personally think it'll happen, but I don't think the idea should be dismissed because another campground is being built nearby.

1 minute ago, TombraiderTy said:

Well I was primarily talking about how I've always thought the demand was there, including for the past 15 years that the campground has been gone. Likewise, I'm surprised it took 15 years for someone else to decide to invest in a new campground. And I don't think it'd be pointless - Kings Island's own campground would be closer than the aforementioned one, plus it could offer visitors exclusive perks like a tram service to the entrance, discounted admission, early ride time, etc. I don't personally think it'll happen, but I don't think the idea should be dismissed because another campground is being built nearby.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with this third-party campsite when it opens next season, but I have a hard time imagining the demand for campgrounds is so massive that this 330-site campground across the street from the park wouldn't suffice. Who knows, maybe it'll be sold out every night and KI will go out on a limb and try to compete. But the CF-era seems to be mostly about low-risk, inside-the-box investments. 

Kings Island will make money off that campground regardless. No the money won't go directly into the park's pocket, but they'll get their guests. After all, the park is the main pull for tourism in that area to begin with. If a family from say Michigan comes down and stays 2-3 days, that's more money they'll spend at the park. RV travelers love to find places to travel and the more luxurious the better. People are buying campers left and right anymore so there's always going to be a market for them. Also, Cedar Fair doesn't have to pay to build or operate the campground leaving 100% of that to the company who'll operate it. I'm sure KI will partner with the campground and offer up some deals to mutually benefit both parties involved but like I said earlier, KI will be making money regardless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Maybe someone at the park can get a better look. What would it indicate if there were more markers on the other side?

If there are more markers on the other side of the entrance plaza, it would almost certainly point to utility work. The power lines and sewer follow Old Columbia Road.

Fun fact #1: The power lines were partially buried in 2012 when Tidal Wave Bay was added. This is why the area seems kind of removed from the rest of the waterpark.

Fun fact 1.5: Tidal Wave Bay is Kings Island’s only expansion into the parking lot.

Fun fact #2: There are 2 structures that pre-date KI on Old Columbia Road which are still standing today.

• Like 1

I hate to be a Debbie downer, but I doubt this is anything big at all. I would be amazed if Kings Island gets anything big for at least 3-4 years with Orion opening and COVID. I truly cannot imagine the money CF has lost this year with COVID. Im sure we will see that in the coming years with them cutting down on costs. 

I am not envious of the people in the decision rooms looking at what can/should be cut to get some of this money back. Props to them!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

I would be amazed if Kings Island gets anything big for at least 3-4 years with Orion opening and COVID. I truly cannot imagine the money CF has lost this year with COVID. Im sure we will see that in the coming years with them cutting down on costs. 

You're spot on. We just got a 30 million dollar investment so as if now we're one of the last parks to get a major addition down the road, especially with Covid. We were fortunate enough to reopen but I don't know how much revenue that really brought in.

Expect smaller stuff like Soak City additions, changes to Planet Snoopy, little stuff like we saw back in 2019, etc. I think 2022 we'll see the park try to return to its former glory of the 1970s for its 50th anniversary.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

You're spot on. We just got a 30 million dollar investment so as if now we're one of the last parks to get a major addition down the road, especially with Covid. We were fortunate enough to reopen but I don't know how much revenue that really brought in.

Expect smaller stuff like Soak City additions, changes to Planet Snoopy, little stuff like we saw back in 2019, etc. I think 2022 we'll see the park try to return to its former glory of the 1970s for its 50th anniversary.

However CP got 2 $20 million plus additions over the course of two years. I’m not saying it’s a coaster, but don’t rule out anything with CF.

Plus, this park is one of the 4 that makes up the majority of the CF profit. With the park losing a signature coaster in Vortex, it is likely the park is looking for a way to theoretically replace it.

• Like 1

Kings Island has spent probably around 45 million dollars in park improvements in the past two years. I don’t think the park is going to be investing in large capital improvements for next year. I could see a small flat in Planet Snoopy or a new waterslide like Baconator said but I don’t think anything larger then that will come in 2021. Id love to be wrong though.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

However CP got 2 $20 million plus additions over the course of two years. I’m not saying it’s a coaster, but don’t rule out anything with CF.

Plus, this park is one of the 4 that makes up the majority of the CF profit. With the park losing a signature coaster in Vortex, it is likely the park is looking for a way to theoretically replace it.

Unfortunately, Covid has changed the game. Priorities change. Though KI is a huge park in the chain, that doesn't mean they'll immediately get something soon. I recall there being a 5 year gap between Diamondback and Banshee that consisted of Planet Snoopy, WindSeeker and Dinosaurs Alive, Soak City, and a restaurant upgrade.

Yes I'm sure they want to find a Vortex replacement but for right now I'm sure they're concerned with surviving in an industry that has been severely affected by this pandemic. Like I said earlier, some parks can't even open. I don't think Mr. Koontz has been calling up Mr. Zimmerman asking him about our next coaster during these times.

Like Ben, I'd love to be wrong but with so many unknowns and so many what-ifs, I'm gonna think the park is taking this all one step at a time.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Unfortunately, Covid has changed the game. Priorities change. Though KI is a huge park in the chain, that doesn't mean they'll immediately get something soon. I recall there being a 5 year gap between Diamondback and Banshee that consisted of Planet Snoopy, WindSeeker and Dinosaurs Alive, Soak City, and a restaurant upgrade.

I agree. I honestly think we are about to go on a coaster gap. We got Banshee, Mystic Timbers, and Orion is such a short amount of time and I think now is the time to take several years and invest in other areas of our lineup. It's been almost 10 years since we got a thrilling flat ride (WindSeeker).

• Like 1

On average the rate of coaster installs has been the same since Cedar Fair purchased the Paramount Parks, 3 years.  Starting at the last install before the purchase the park received coasters in 05, 07, 09, 14, 17, 20.  The only bigger gap was immediately after 2, two year gaps, which averages out to 3 years.  Before the pandemic I was expecting either 2023, or 24, and was mostly listing 2023.  We might actually still see one then, the thing is the chain needs attendance to return to normal as quickly as possible at the 4 big parks, because they will be the most important to get the financials in order.  In the past we have seen parks successfully install large new attractions during recoveries to see attendance pop back up.

Personally this looks like an infrastructure project.  Possibly drainage, or road upgrades.  It might lead to a coaster, but I do not expect to see anything obvious in any of the work being performed.

While I think a ride could be shoved into the space of Invertigo, modern ride design does not really support doing so.  I would also expect Congo Falls to also be removed.  I have some ideas on how it could be done with just Invertigo but I would expect to see any big new ride to have a plaza, and for part of its structure to be closer to the main pathways.  Also boat rides like that have just fallen out of favor with the public, people do not want to get soaking wet and walk around, or to get their electronics wet.  Water Water Canyon is still popular but I just rarely see many people riding Congo Falls, and other parks have been removing similar rides.

I could also see how the park would have enough space by just removing Congo Falls and leaving Invertigo.  Before anyone asks, I do not see Congo falls being moved, such a significant percentage of the attractions cost is the construction that it would make more sense to just purchase a new ride instead of moving this one.

• Like 3

@Kenban I'd argue Congo's lack of popularity is mostly based off of its placement. Also it could be because it doesn't do as much vs WWC or RFYLCB.

Back to coaster timelines, here's the giant one (including defunct ones): 1972 (x3), 1977, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2014, 2017, 2020. The largest gap is still 5 years which is a tie from 1972-1977 and 2009-2014. By this logic 2025 would be the absolute latest the park could get a new coaster of some sort, however some of those years like 1992 and 2001 saw smaller kiddie coasters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

@Kenban I'd argue Congo's lack of popularity is mostly based off of its placement. Also it could be because it doesn't do as much vs WWC or RFYLCB.

Back to coaster timelines, here's the giant one (including defunct ones): 1972 (x3), 1977, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2014, 2017, 2020. The largest gap is still 5 years which is a tie from 1972-1977 and 2009-2014. By this logic 2025 would be the absolute latest the park could get a new coaster of some sort, however some of those years like 1992 and 2001 saw smaller kiddie coasters.

I doubt past gaps will reflect future gaps. 

17 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

I truly think it is safe to rule out a significant park expansion for this. That is like comparing apples to oranges. CF has lost SO much money from this. I'm glad they were able to open back up this year and try to make some cash. Comparing this to 20mil in CP over two years during a time where there was not a pandemic with dramatic cash loss is not fair.

• Like 2

Drainage in that area was completely overhauled 2 or 3 seasons ago. Also the markers are on a dead end road that does not get used. I don’t think a another coaster will be here until at least 2022. I’m thinking a front gate overhaul or even the removal of Timberwolf/Congo to make room for an expansion of some flat rides that the park desperately needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I doubt past gaps will reflect future gaps. 

They don't, but it helps paint a picture. At least we have some frame of reference going forward. Like I said earlier, Covid might change everything but I feel like the nearly 50 years have painted a pretty decent picture

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

Drainage in that area was completely overhauled 2 or 3 seasons ago. Also the markers are on a dead end road that does not get used. I don’t think a another coaster will be here until at least 2202. I’m thinking a front gate overhaul or even the removal of Timberwolf/Congo to make room for an expansion of some flat rides that the park desperately needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly Congo might get some popularity back if they just took out Timberwolf. It's basically never used and takes a ton of perfectly good, mostly flat land. Plenty of room to expand Action Zone out with some more "high thrill" flats and maybe even a lower-budget compact coaster like a Raptor or 4D freespin. Give it a better chance to be an active area instead of a double dead-end and Congo could see a rebound. Comparatively, it doesn't take much space and is mechanically simple.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PKIDelirium said:

Honestly Congo might get some popularity back if they just took out Timberwolf. It's basically never used and takes a ton of perfectly good, mostly flat land. Plenty of room to expand Action Zone out with some more "high thrill" flats and maybe even a lower-budget compact coaster like a Raptor or 4D freespin. Give it a better chance to be an active area instead of a double dead-end and Congo could see a rebound. Comparatively, it doesn't take much space and is mechanically simple.

And for those who state Spirit Song- a portable stage would be a better venue with how outdated and unkempt Timberwolf has devolved into. 

• Like 2