Markers Placed by Old Columbia Rd.

IndyGuy4KI

The interesting part is taking out Timberwolf would actually solve a lot of issues.  They could add a few flats and they could also reroute the entrance and exit to The Bat to that area which would probably increase its ridership.

Mike Koontz has talked many times about refreshing areas of the park since he became GM.  Action Zone and Planet Snoopy are really the only two areas on the dry side of the park that haven't been enhanced in some way during that time.

• Like 4

I think that these markers are just preliminary surveying for a future attraction down the line. If a new coaster comes in 4 or 5 years, I think it will probably extend the majority of the front of the park and interact with guests as they enter. This project will likely include a reconfigured entry plaza with new ticket booths and amenities. I think they will keep the actual entrance building, but I think they will upgrade the facade and probably renovate the guest services, gift shops, and the International Restaurant while they are at it. In terms of ride placement, I could see them taking out Xtreme Skyflyer, Timberwolf, Coaster Connection, and the Banshee lockers, putting the entrance to the new ride there and maybe adding a flat or two. By removing these attractions, the whole back end of Action Zone will open up, making it seem like The Bat is no longer as far off the beaten path. I could see the park replacing the Banshee lockers with a larger locker complex that can accommodate for both Banshee and the new ride (I have always thought that Banshee’s lockers were ugly). I could also see Invertigo removed, but I think the park will try to keep Congo Falls. I also hope that with this new addition, the entirety of Action Zone is reimagined into something more interesting. Maybe the park can completely re-theme it like Carowinds proposed earlier this year in a guest survey.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think that these markers are just preliminary surveying for a future attraction down the line. If a new coaster comes in 4 or 5 years, I think it will probably extend the majority of the front of the park and interact with guests as they enter. This project will likely include a reconfigured entry plaza with new ticket booths and amenities. I think they will keep the actual entrance building, but I think they will upgrade the facade and probably renovate the guest services, gift shops, and the International Restaurant while they are at it. In terms of ride placement, I could see them taking out Xtreme Skyflyer, Timberwolf, Coaster Connection, and the Banshee lockers, putting the entrance to the new ride there and maybe adding a flat or two. By removing these attractions, the whole back end of Action Zone will open up, making it seem like The Bat is no longer as far off the beaten path. I could see the park replacing the Banshee lockers with a larger locker complex that can accommodate for both Banshee and the new ride (I have always thought that Banshee’s lockers were ugly). I could also see Invertigo removed, but I think the park will try to keep Congo Falls. I also hope that with this new addition, the entirety of Action Zone is reimagined into something more interesting. Maybe the park can completely re-theme it like Carowinds proposed earlier this year in a guest survey.

That would be nice. However, I don't see them taking out coaster connection. That's the only gift shop in Action Zone and I usually see people in there buying stuff. If they end up putting a coaster in Action Zone, I see them taking out Invertigo and Congo Falls and create a new event plaza in the timberwolf area to make it better for Spirit Song and maybe try to lure in other large events there. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

That would be nice. However, I don't see them taking out coaster connection. That's the only gift shop in Action Zone and I usually see people in there buying stuff. If they end up putting a coaster in Action Zone, I see them taking out Invertigo and Congo Falls and create a new event plaza in the timberwolf area to make it better for Spirit Song and maybe try to lure in other large events there. 

I think the park will definitely build a new gift shop that fits the theme of the area if they demolish Coaster Connection. I just think the park should really try to open up the back area of Action Zone by The Bat and the restrooms, so it doesn’t seem like it is so far off the beaten path.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think the park will definitely build a new gift shop that fits the theme of the area if they demolish Coaster Connection. I just think the park should really try to open up the back area of Action Zone by The Bat and the restrooms, so it doesn’t seem like it is so far off the beaten path.

Another issue I see is the queue line for Drop Tower. It would be hard to connect the back of AZ together with the queue house for Drop Tower there. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Another issue I see is the queue line for Drop Tower. It would be hard to connect the back of AZ together with the queue house for Drop Tower there. 

They could always re-route the queue line to being more on the side of the ride like Shake, Rattle, and Roll or Scrambler.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Snowball said:

Did you get pictures by any chance? I want to map these out but I need more pictures.

06CED906-4443-4F31-B350-A68F88435B10.jpeg

Here’s a picture of an spray indicating excavation in the Preferred Parking lot. 
Before this gets ridiculed, I’ve done surveying and markings in the past, and the sprays beside it were similar to what I did in construction.

That being said, the site runs along the outlined map I’ve made.

EC9621F6-AE65-4962-91E5-731A28B23C4A.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

06CED906-4443-4F31-B350-A68F88435B10.jpeg

Here’s a picture of an spray indicating excavation in the Preferred Parking lot. 
Before this gets ridiculed, I’ve done surveying and markings in the past, and the sprays beside it were similar to what I did in construction.

That being said, the site runs along the outlined map I’ve made.

EC9621F6-AE65-4962-91E5-731A28B23C4A.jpeg

What is interesting is how the markers are directly behind Congo Falls and Invertigo. If these markers do point toward excavation, what do we think they are doing there? I would love to see a reimagined entrance, maybe with a new pathway leading up to it from where the preferred parking is. I would also be happy with a resurfacing of the parking lot though I know it would be expensive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I wonder what these mean. Do you have any idea as to what they are referring to? Thanks for the updates by the way!

I have no idea what they mean, as they are case specific. The interesting thing is they are in sequence, and if they’re related to runoff- there wasn’t any work by The Bat’s creek. The 2 may refer to 2 feet off of marker.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

With Dorney rumored to be removing Possessed, that would certainly fit in that area.

I doubt they would move a 20 year old Intamin to KI but it does make you wonder. 

Personally I'm hoping for some flats in that area.

I doubt KI would get a relocated low capacity ride. In fact, I have a feeling that CF is done relocating coasters when they remove them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

So, my question is, how large could the new entryway be? Will it be like Worlds of Fun, or have something like Cedar Point?

A new entryway would probably be around the size of Carowinds’ and Cedar Points’ because Kings Island has way more attendance than Carowinds and only slightly less than Cedar Point. I think the design of a new Kings Island entrance would look different than both, however.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

If these markers are for a new entrance or even a new ride, I don’t understand why they extend all the way to Tropical Plunge.

Well that is of course for a parking lot coaster that traverses the entire length of the lot.  Take that Carowinds:P

Or maybe the lot is finally getting a repave.

Or maybe the marketing department is going out and painting random dots and adding stakes to see how KIC responds (cross-threading).

Or maybe something else entirely.

• Haha 2